I feel unjustly dealt with

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Independent_Artist
Baron
Baron

I feel unjustly dealt with

Post by Independent_Artist »

Hello, account name Virgin_of_Intimacy, character name Lenyara Lyonsbane here. Unfortunately it seems that DM Demitri has deemed necessary that I remake my character for reason of my description being "borderline intolerable" and/or "too social" for Blackstone supposedly. I personally do not feel I should have to change my character's description based mostly on my arguement which is as follows:

first of all the ESRB rating of the game itself is Teen 13+ and I should not be held accountable for offense to children with that rating because if "nine year olds" play NWN, as DM Demitri had stated when he asked me to remake my character, thenb I feel it is a lack in the discretion of the parents of the child player not the fault of myself for being creative and detailed in my character description.

and secondly how can you tell someone to remake their character for words that go into descriptive detail about a character when there are those lady characters that waltz around the keep in, excuse my explicitness, thongs and leather strap bras? I've also seen a lady wearing a leopard spotted swim suit that hardly cover her buttocks and the loower portion of her waist as well as only a this strip of cloth surrounding her breasts and back at the level where a nipple would exist? and for that matter I could make an outfit with rather small sea shells that only cover a small portion of each breast for a torso. You hjave to physically click on and examine my character if you want to read my detailed character description which really is only words but you don't have to click on anyone to see them in a skimpy swim suit, an open center chest section torso, or a thong. If you can't accept a provocatively presented description of a character I would hope you would even more so reject the creation of explicit outfits.

So I ask that you please release my character from the prison for an obviously unfair judgement of a DM unless you otherwise plan to take action on the explicit behavior of all other players on Blackstone Keep, not just me because I have a provocative character description...I will reamain on the server from around 7:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time and checking the forum regularly during that time as well for a descision in this matter. Thank you.
ValentianNizzle
Duke
Duke

Post by ValentianNizzle »

I personally promote more social activity in BSK. Everybody knows that.

Fight the administration till the end.
Independent_Artist
Baron
Baron

ValentianNizzle wrote:I personally promote more social activity in BSK. Everybody knows that.

Fight the administration till the end.
I appreciate your vpositive feed back ValentianNizzle, sir. ^.^
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Actually by U.S. law, you are held accountable. We have already had this discussion before. PM me your character's bio.

-driller
first of all the ESRB rating of the game itself is Teen 13+ and I should not be held accountable for offense to children with that rating because if "nine year olds" play NWN, as DM Demitri had stated when he asked me to remake my character, thenb I feel it is a lack in the discretion of the parents of the child player not the fault of myself for being creative and detailed in my character description.
Independent_Artist
Baron
Baron

driller wrote:Actually by U.S. law, you are held accountable. We have already had this discussion before. PM me your character's bio.

-driller
well the suspense in waiting for him to give me an answer is killing me :cry:
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Hmmm... Could be tricky, IA, seeing the BSK rules list the following:
ST_DM_Myle wrote: * Keep language appropriately mild and tame in consideration for our many younger players. (Some players are as young as 9.)
Adult content should be kept away from public areas and it is preferred that it take place in 'closed' areas while using the Tell feature. If you are told by a DM or another player asks for actions or language to me toned-down, then do so and at that moment. Note: You can cuss in a medieval fashion or Shakespearean fashion with a bit more liberty.
Your bio is public, so I'm betting it's not going to go in your favor.
.Stinky Pete.
Baron
Baron

Post by .Stinky Pete. »

It's only been a couple hours and your last paragraph looks a little like some goofy threat. You are getting your due process in as public a forum as you made it.

See: http://thewastelands.org/viewtopic.php?t=879
and http://thewastelands.org/viewtopic.php?p=2544#2544

I check all descriptions and wish I had run into you to see what this is all about.

SP
Independent_Artist
Baron
Baron

viobane wrote:Hmmm... Could be tricky, IA, seeing the BSK rules list the following:
ST_DM_Myle wrote: * Keep language appropriately mild and tame in consideration for our many younger players. (Some players are as young as 9.)
Adult content should be kept away from public areas and it is preferred that it take place in 'closed' areas while using the Tell feature. If you are told by a DM or another player asks for actions or language to me toned-down, then do so and at that moment. Note: You can cuss in a medieval fashion or Shakespearean fashion with a bit more liberty.
Your bio is public, so I'm betting it's not going to go in your favor.
as are outfits with leather strap bras and thongs or skimpy swim suits that are public, so what is the difference?
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Not my call. Just quoting the rules. Someone going all "Conan the Barbarian" and wearing nothing but a loincloth is not necessarily sexually suggestive in my opinion, but it's the insinuations made via character RP that would be more the issue. Besides, the request is yours, and has to do with your character, not others you see as being "equally as bad." In my experiences, focusing on others to plead your case never works well.

And I have to say I'm not invested in a certain outcome here. Just posting in order to avoid doing my paperwork at my job. I'm just reasoning out the specific details involved.
Independent_Artist
Baron
Baron

.Stinky Pete. wrote:It's only been a couple hours and your last paragraph looks a little like some goofy threat. You are getting your due process in as public a forum as you made it.

I check all descriptions and wish I had run into you to see what this is all about.

SP
have I in some way threatened to leave or in some way presented myself in a hostile manner? I've only expressed my opinion about the matter in which I was treated on this issue, I do not mean to be threatening or intimidating...
Independent_Artist
Baron
Baron

viobane wrote:Not my call. Just quoting the rules. Someone going all "Conan the Barbarian" and wearing nothing but a loincloth is not necessarily sexually suggestive in my opinion, but it's the insinuations made via character RP that would be more the issue. Besides, the request is yours, and has to do with your character, not others you see as being "equally as bad." In my experiences, focusing on others to plead your case never works well.

And I have to say I'm not invested in a certain outcome here. Just posting in order to avoid doing my paperwork at my job. I'm just reasoning out the specific details involved.
quite frankly I think it's rather unfair to deal harshly with one character when something the same is happening only in another way, example words versus physical appearance. and I agree that men's clothing options are typically not very revealing but women's clothing selection certainly has more opportunities to be crafted to look in an explicit nature and I am addressing partially the matter that if I cannot say what I look like explicitly why should I be able to dress in such an explicit manner
Independent_Artist
Baron
Baron

.Stinky Pete. wrote:It's only been a couple hours and your last paragraph looks a little like some goofy threat. You are getting your due process in as public a forum as you made it.

SP
oh I see what you mean, well I suppose that is sort of threatening, but I still think it far worse they let people prance around in such clothing and do not let others type a description of words about it. Sorry for the inferred intimidation/threat/demand if that's the way you took it
Jazelle
Duke
Duke

Post by Jazelle »

Final say is Driller's not matter what you feel. After all you are invited into his house in a way. And the rules of the house apply. They don't have to make sense to you just that is the way it is.

As for outfits the writting word can be way beyond the visual. Now a day seeing someone in a swimsuit that is skimpy is old hat. But describing in erotic detail that is something totally different and can make a very innocent picture turn into something torrent.

I have never stopped to look at your char's description but I will say your log on name is something that belongs on a server that is social and has mature content.

As far as I know BSK is pg-13 in all public areas that would include char descriptions. Now what you do in private areas is your own business as long as it is not public. But descriptions are public so it is best to be nice to the owner of the server and keep them toned down.
The world is a strange place.
winteraven
Count
Count

Post by winteraven »

I agree that there are a substantial amount of female characters that run around in less than clothed fashion and that it is a bit disturbing, however, alternatively a bio that is both descriptive and suggestive opens the mind up to more than just a visual. Bios should be clean and not overly provocative. RP is what will determine how your character acts.

And although BSK is a PG 13 rated server, bear in mind that 13 is even too young to be exposed to certain erm, themes. Many kids play here as well, usually with parental supervision. Any sort of sexual theme of any form should remain private and in tells in a location away from prying eyes or incidental passers by. As the bios of characters is open to public viewing so should the nature of that be hidden. Leave it to your RP to get the point across. This is a family server after all. As to your irk that a DM took measures regarding the public bio, bear in mind that there is precedent. Some people have played and chose to vent personal issues and frustrations out on race, gender, sexuality and so on in their bios. I personally remember one that was quite disgusting and anti-women. Try explaining that to someone 13 or younger.

Remember, in the end, BSK is a family server and community. Respect everyone and it will be returned. Perhaps it woudn't be too hard to reserve the risque behaviours, looks, and descriptions for moments of privacy.

Hopefully, your issue will be resolved to a good result all around.

Happy Gaming :)
~ I kill things and drink potions~
Independent_Artist
Baron
Baron

winteraven wrote:I agree that there are a substantial amount of female characters that run around in less than clothed fashion and that it is a bit disturbing, however, alternatively a bio that is both descriptive and suggestive opens the mind up to more than just a visual. Bios should be clean and not overly provocative. RP is what will determine how your character acts.

And although BSK is a PG 13 rated server, bear in mind that 13 is even too young to be exposed to certain erm, themes. Many kids play here as well, usually with parental supervision. Any sort of sexual theme of any form should remain private and in tells in a location away from prying eyes or incidental passers by. As the bios of characters is open to public viewing so should the nature of that be hidden. Leave it to your RP to get the point across. This is a family server after all. As to your irk that a DM took measures regarding the public bio, bear in mind that there is precedent. Some people have played and chose to vent personal issues and frustrations out on race, gender, sexuality and so on in their bios. I personally remember one that was quite disgusting and anti-women. Try explaining that to someone 13 or younger.

Remember, in the end, BSK is a family server and community. Respect everyone and it will be returned. Perhaps it woudn't be too hard to reserve the risque behaviours, looks, and descriptions for moments of privacy.

Hopefully, your issue will be resolved to a good result all around.

Happy Gaming :)
To say that words have more power over clothing in terms of "opening the mind" is an opinion, some people find clothing more appealing and sexual others find a description of another person more suggestive, so to say that factually people are more stimulated by words than what they see does not, as far as I can tell, apply to every individual because everyone has their own indivdual fantasies, likes, dislikes, nightmares etc. that stimulate their mind. So to say words are more powerful than appearances is, in my opinion, an baeless assumption because of the variety of people in the world.
And personally I would be as serious and concerned for my child's knowledge, if I had one, in the matters of sex, abuse, racism, etc. as early as age eleven because we need to alert them early on in their growth toward maturity as an adult and not allow them too much of a window for school to intervene in that subject or for them to have a chance to wander to liberally in their adventure of seeking knowledge about men, women, their differences, child birth etc. I know I was alerted by my school system for the first time to sex in closing weeks of my fifth grade in elementary school and I was only ten years of age, though personally I think that's just a little early for me.