The Defamation of a Character

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Pretty Fly White Guy
Duke
Duke

Post by Pretty Fly White Guy »

perhaps Chiffawn was still taken. if that was so, it would lead towards a bug more, though its still not sure.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

If it wouldn't let her create Chifawn, then there is probably a remnant in the database. I searched for her old user account and couldn't find it.

So if it is saying that it is taken, then there is a glitch for sure.

-driller
Pretty Fly White Guy wrote:perhaps Chiffawn was still taken. if that was so, it would lead towards a bug more, though its still not sure.
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

Nice to get to the bottom of this. Hate to have a computer glitch cause bad feelings between people, and PC's.
Jazelle
Duke
Duke

Post by Jazelle »

It sounds like the system auto did it. It is a very odd glitch I have not seen it happen in any of the phpBB systems I run. But it could of been garbage on both sides causing it. Have you run the repair? That might clear out the bad data so she can reused the name. Check in the Mysql database if there is still a crupted rement.

Note on phpBB and PHPNuke if a users account is deleted then all the posts from that account is gone too that would include pms. The system reads off the account's database if it is not there then the posts are gone. I found that out the hard way once.
The world is a strange place.
Gibbo
Duke
Duke

Post by Gibbo »

Just be careful not to delete any accounts. It tends to delete all posts previously made by that user. *side pokes Jaz* =P
ZOMFGOMBIES!
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

I ran the repair, thats how the forum got back up.

-driller
Jazelle
Duke
Duke

Post by Jazelle »

Gibbo wrote:Just be careful not to delete any accounts. It tends to delete all posts previously made by that user. *side pokes Jaz* =P
I already said that Gibbo.

Yes Driller it sounds like the repair is what did it. The timing must of been just right to cause the account to go bad. Like a 1k chance it would happen. If the repair can't fix it it will delete it. Only problem is the backups won't readd the account either since they see a void and will ignor it.

The only way to get back her posts or her account would be to set up the backup on another system and cut and paste it all over. I would only do that if the posts were needed and that would only work if you backed up the system a hour before it crashed.

Got to both love and hate phpBB. That is why I went back to PHPNuke Plat. Much better system all around also can add a calendar too alone with a few other mods and blocks. The only part I hate is NukeSentinel it is a very annoying security system that is more likely to ban the ower than those who need it. Both Myle and I have had to deal with the black screen of death several times.

Ok enough shop talk about phpBB and Nuke.
Chiffawn
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Chiffawn »

Well maybe because until you mentioned it in this thread, it didn't dawn on me to try to recreate this account that at the time seemed to be the target of some kind of earasing something...

so I just made it new. Nothing more.

Jazelle wrote:Note on phpBB and PHPNuke if a users account is deleted then all the posts from that account is gone too that would include pms. The system reads off the account's database if it is not there then the posts are gone. I found that out the hard way once.
edit to add* P. S. And it always had 2 f's in it.
If you think it is impossible -- for you, it is.
Jazelle
Duke
Duke

Post by Jazelle »

With the account back now it might (very slim and might not be worth trying) possible that a backup could be used to recreate some older posts.

Still you are right having two accounts will help if anything you wish to keep pm it to your other account to save. Or do what I do and always keep a copy of your posts.