Loot Drops?

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Loot Drops?

Post by Capt Cliff »

Are loot drops level dependent? If you too high you get nothing and if you are too low you get nothing? I was fighting along the Costal Road and got great xp but zero loot, and I am running out of money so I need loot.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Loot Drops?

Post by driller »

Whether a chest drops or not is based on a d20 roll. The level of the loot is usually dependent on the CR level of the mob you kill.

I'll double check loot script and make sure it is set correctly.

-driller
Capt Cliff wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:17 pm Are loot drops level dependent? If you too high you get nothing and if you are too low you get nothing? I was fighting along the Costal Road and got great xp but zero loot, and I am running out of money so I need loot.
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

driller wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:32 pm Whether a chest drops or not is based on a d20 roll. The level of the loot is usually dependent on the CR level of the mob you kill.

-driller
Capt Cliff wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:17 pm Are loot drops level dependent? If you too high you get nothing and if you are too low you get nothing? I was fighting along the Costal Road and got great xp but zero loot, and I am running out of money so I need loot.
Well the loot drops are really bad. I don't know where to go to farm for money!! You used to farm the road but not anymore. I assume Marvale is the same ... getting a BSK hood must be RARE!
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

The BSK hood drop rate is the same as always, separate code.

-driller
Capt Cliff wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:15 pm
driller wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:32 pm Whether a chest drops or not is based on a d20 roll. The level of the loot is usually dependent on the CR level of the mob you kill.

-driller
Well the loot drops are really bad. I don't know where to go to farm for money!! You used to farm the road but not anymore. I assume Marvale is the same ... getting a BSK hood must be RARE!
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

Not wanting to complain TOO much, it is my middle name, but a loot chest with just a plain weapon in it should not be considered loot! A 30 gp sword is not really loot. IMHO ... BTW I do like the server just have not found the sweet spot for farming for gold.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Sometimes you get bad rolls. It's the nature of RNG. The only reason I use a chest is it is easy to do instancing for multiple players.
It puts a stop to all ninja looting.

-driller
Capt Cliff wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:45 am Not wanting to complain TOO much, it is my middle name, but a loot chest with just a plain weapon in it should not be considered loot! A 30 gp sword is not really loot. IMHO ... BTW I do like the server just have not found the sweet spot for farming for gold.
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

driller wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:55 am Sometimes you get bad rolls. It's the nature of RNG. The only reason I use a chest is it is easy to do instancing for multiple players.

-driller
Capt Cliff wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:45 am Not wanting to complain TOO much, it is my middle name, but a loot chest with just a plain weapon in it should not be considered loot! A 30 gp sword is not really loot. IMHO ... BTW I do like the server just have not found the sweet spot for farming for gold.
Hey I am just reporting what's happening to me no casting you in a dark light. An I don't wanna shine yer apple. But, I played for 4 to 6 hours today and was barely able to pay for my pot usage, one or two chests with no magic gear. I like the chests and that each player gets a reward. Perhaps you could add "monster ears" that drop or are automatically put into the slayers inventory. You redeem the monster ears at the warden for gold so that you at least have an income to pay expenses. You could have lessor, middle and greater ears.
Sapphire
Count
Count

Post by Sapphire »

Think you need to tell us more about your characters build and diety choice ... I learned very early on in the original that diety choice was a huge influence on being able to fund your character needs... Lia for instance gives gifts usually about 5 to 7 sometimes more in the first 5 levels of experience... Okay that requires a character based on being neutral ... Eon the over god also gives gifts after praying not all the time so you can't spam this action and get money for nothing so to speak ...

Then after that is your choice of class ... Some are more gold productive than others in my experience ... The best for gold gathering in my experience is a Bard closely followed by a Rogue the worst I have found or if you like the most expensive to start with are any form of archer DEX based - Ranger for instance or an AA which can be expensive on the arrow purchasing as well as your general health pots...

Decent INT and CHA also helps in ways you might not expect... CHA certainly helps with gathering gold for Pally's, Cleric's, and oddly for a Druid too... Rogues and to a degree Bards also benefit in quality of loot found if they have a decent INT perhaps 16 or better, which as you know benefits your locksmith skills and traps being disarmed... Get a little pickpocket skill and you can get into the thieves guild in a little while after robbing serveral citizens and you can then sell off all the traps you find to the guild leader... You don't get a lot for low end traps but its better than just dumping them in the trash can...

If you do play a Rogue I would suggest you go around the keep and go unlock those locked doors around 18 or so in the keep if I recall... There is a surprising bonus for spending half hour or so doing this including a number of chests in houses... True it maybe low level loot but I have even found several bags of holding doing this perhaps once a day ...

Looking for a sweet spot for loot drops is really dependant on your character build ... Back in the early days for my Rogue or Sorceress types I found it was the Giant Ants of the southern wastes at around level 27 to 32 and the xp was fairly good to boot... Though the down side was you could get mobbed by 3 or 4 and easily be killed... You just have to explore and find your sweet spot I know for others it was like the druids or the mino's ... Just bear in mind you won't find these sweet spots in your early levels it is more likely to be found at sort of level 18+ ... Am afraid as with most things in this game it is part of the grind and your perseverence ... And sometimes that grind can be extremely boring ...
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

Sapphire wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:30 pm Think you need to tell us more about your characters build and diety choice ... I learned very early on in the original that diety choice was a huge influence on being able to fund your character needs... Lia for instance gives gifts usually about 5 to 7 sometimes more in the first 5 levels of experience... Okay that requires a character based on being neutral ... Eon the over god also gives gifts after praying not all the time so you can't spam this action and get money for nothing so to speak ...

Then after that is your choice of class ... Some are more gold productive than others in my experience ... The best for gold gathering in my experience is a Bard closely followed by a Rogue the worst I have found or if you like the most expensive to start with are any form of archer DEX based - Ranger for instance or an AA which can be expensive on the arrow purchasing as well as your general health pots...

Decent INT and CHA also helps in ways you might not expect... CHA certainly helps with gathering gold for Pally's, Cleric's, and oddly for a Druid too... Rogues and to a degree Bards also benefit in quality of loot found if they have a decent INT perhaps 16 or better, which as you know benefits your locksmith skills and traps being disarmed... Get a little pickpocket skill and you can get into the thieves guild in a little while after robbing serveral citizens and you can then sell off all the traps you find to the guild leader... You don't get a lot for low end traps but its better than just dumping them in the trash can...

If you do play a Rogue I would suggest you go around the keep and go unlock those locked doors around 18 or so in the keep if I recall... There is a surprising bonus for spending half hour or so doing this including a number of chests in houses... True it maybe low level loot but I have even found several bags of holding doing this perhaps once a day ...

Looking for a sweet spot for loot drops is really dependant on your character build ... Back in the early days for my Rogue or Sorceress types I found it was the Giant Ants of the southern wastes at around level 27 to 32 and the xp was fairly good to boot... Though the down side was you could get mobbed by 3 or 4 and easily be killed... You just have to explore and find your sweet spot I know for others it was like the druids or the mino's ... Just bear in mind you won't find these sweet spots in your early levels it is more likely to be found at sort of level 18+ ... Am afraid as with most things in this game it is part of the grind and your perseverence ... And sometimes that grind can be extremely boring ...
I've been playing on BSK for about 12 years, not continually, I have about 15 40 lvl pc's on the old server ... so .... thank you for the tips ...
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

It should be working correctly now.

-driller
Capt Cliff wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:38 pm
driller wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:55 am Sometimes you get bad rolls. It's the nature of RNG. The only reason I use a chest is it is easy to do instancing for multiple players.

-driller
Hey I am just reporting what's happening to me no casting you in a dark light. An I don't wanna shine yer apple. But, I played for 4 to 6 hours today and was barely able to pay for my pot usage, one or two chests with no magic gear. I like the chests and that each player gets a reward. Perhaps you could add "monster ears" that drop or are automatically put into the slayers inventory. You redeem the monster ears at the warden for gold so that you at least have an income to pay expenses. You could have lessor, middle and greater ears.
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

driller wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:30 pm It should be working correctly now.

-driller
Capt Cliff wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:38 pm

-driller

Yes I am getting drops ... but my luck is holding ... very few magic weapons ... mostly pots and band aids ... Grrrr ... now when some one in my party generates loot I have found magic weapons!! I need to go step in a road apple! Thnx ...
Sapphire
Count
Count

Post by Sapphire »

Capt Cliff wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:22 am I've been playing on BSK for about 12 years, not continually, I have about 15 40 lvl pc's on the old server ... so .... thank you for the tips ...
Am aware your one of the vets that have returned from a few years of absence just trying to help you get the feel for the server that you once had I guess... Since you were last around a lot has changed certainly with the original server... How much of this is true with the newer EE version you are playing am not sure of but the help/advice/tips are I hope still valued... Personally I do not see me purchasing or acquiring the new EE version unless absolutely necessary... A lot of servers are not transfering to EE mainly I believe because of the translation issues which have given rise to our brilliant Driller deciding to go back to basics as it is for the EE version without the haks particularly the CEP translation seems to be a real issue...

Still have fun with your return to the fold perhaps I may someday follow the camel so to speak and join the EE parade :)
SilverNovaStarr
Commoner
Commoner

Post by SilverNovaStarr »

The only thing I don't like is that I've only had maybe 7 chests pop up and I haven't gotten much of anything. Just starting out a new player needs gold to be able to get gear to be able to lvl. I use to play on bsk years ago and just returned back for the EE. I lost my disk so I had to wait to be able to play again.

So I guess what I'm saying is I wish the drop off chest were higher and there was better loot to be had. There isn't much fun to be had if you can't do much of anything.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

I have adjusted it.

-driller
SilverNovaStarr
Commoner
Commoner

Post by SilverNovaStarr »