Kage-buyou (The Dance of Shadows)

Use this forum for In Character Interactions only.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Ishido crept up on an unsuspecting ogre. He was highly conscious of every movement he made, making sure no spare rays of sunshine hit his exposed flesh. He had wrapped his cloak around his body in such a way that an observer would have thought he was just a part of the forest darkness.

He attempted to do as Darza suggested. He attempted to reach out with his mind and draw the shadows into his being.

As his ki became focused on his external sensations, Ishido closed his eyes and felt the gentle breeze, smelled crushed pine needles and the pungent scent of ogre, he could even reach out and feel the rough bark of a nearby tree. He felt a slight tug from a place of darkness and realized that it was a part of the shadows.

He attempted to tug at them with his mind, but the form resisted his attempts at manipulation. He opened his eyes and noticed that the ogre had stepped closer. He heard a slight purring and a whispered, "Now, Ishi-san!"

That was all the prodding he needed. Ishido jumped out of the shadow he had been lurking in and punched the ogre in the face. The creature dropped a large club and put its hands to its broken nose. The monk then kicked it in its belly, causing the monster to expel a massive amount of fetid air in his direction.

Before becoming overwhelmed by the stench, Ishido kicked the ogre in its temple, causing it to crumple on the ground and lay still.

As he walked over to inspect the monster, however, it reached out and grabbed his leg. "Use the shadows NOW, Ishi-san!" Darza cried.

In a split second, Ishido attempted to focus on the elusive darkness in a vain attempt to force the dark to his will. It escaped him as before, and the ogre yanked him off his feet. He landed hard, and the ogre rapidly retrieved its club and prepared to deliver the coup de grace.

Darza materialized as the club was raised over the ogre's head and jumped up to its level and jabbed her blades into the monster's eyes. It began to scream, but only for an instant before Darza slit its throat, reducing the cries to muffled gurgles.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Ishido gazed, mouth open, at Darza who began to lick patches of blood off of her coat of fur.

"Ogre blood is pretty gross, but a lady's got to keep clean," she continued licking her hands/paws as Ishido pulled himself off the ground. "Are you ready to take on their newest leader? These ogres always pick a big brute. Whoever is better with a blade or bigger with the blow is the winner. A lot of crushed heads in the process. When you start to get good with the shadows, Ishi-san, you can witness a lot of things!"

Ishido brushed off his gloves and his cloak, removing bits of dirts and pine needles. "I suppose attacking the leader would be a good way to learn quickly, Nekko-san. Domo arigato gozaimasu for saving me."

Darza squinted at the monk for a moment. "If that's your way of saying thank you, you're welcome! It's a wonder you people from the east get anything done with all those flowery words and such."

Ishido bowed in response. Darza finished her cleaning, and Ishido watched her long tongue lap up the gore. He was fascinated that this creature could be so humanoid yet act so much like an everyday domesticated cat. He resisted an urge to scratch her between the ears.

"All done!" she looked up and smiled, and her whiskers twitched as she moved away. "Now jump into the shadows like this, Ishi-san. Here, I'll go slow for you."

She made a small gesture with her mind that Ishido could not see, but could feel and sense with his ki. She allowed the shadows to wash over her like a blanket and Ishido was a little more clear about the technique. It was not a force of will as much as a welcoming or desire to merge with the dark.

He also pulled into the shadows and tried to absorb them into himself. He noticed that although he was unable to achieve pure invisibility like Darza, he was better concealed than he was before.

The walked to the north, Ishido following small impressions on the spongy surface of the forest floor. Ahead of them was a large brute of an ogre. The beast stood at least twelve feet tall and carried a large club that appeared to be as large as a small tree.

"Here we are, Ishi-san! Go get em! Just hit him then try to back off into the shadows. I know you can do it this time!"

Ishido crept closer and closer until he could smell the fetid ogre breath, then pounced.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Just before he landed, the ogre turned. Ishido's attack glanced off the ogre's torso, and the monk had to twist his body mid-air in order to compensate for the indirect blow.

The ogre leader screamed. The sound was guttural and high pitched at the same time. Ishido saw through the ruse, however. The monster was attempting to intimidate him!

He dodged a massive club swing from the ogre by pirouetting around the strike. He used the energy of the turn to hit the beast in the groin with a strong backhand.

The ogre almost dropped its club in pain, but appeared to turn its pain into rage and aimed a bone-breaking blow at Ishido's mid-section.

The blow would have connected, but Ishido chose that time to disappear. In his mind, he had imagined the shadows coming to his aid and concealing him from a blow and they had cooperated.

The monk was pleased with his grasp of the form and function of the shadows. He was not using them as much as he was simply allowing them to do their work and envelop him in their soft dusky embrace.

He heard clapping and a short whistle and realized that Darza had seen his movement. He smiled and walked quietly to the back of the ogre, who was now moving its head back and forth in confusion.

Ishido climbed a nearby pine to the ogre's head level, then quickly jumped from his grip on the tree to the brach nearest him. The jostling branches caught the ogre's attention as Ishido launched a perfectly aimed front kick to the ogre leader's nose.

The sudden impact allowed Ishido an instant to twist his attack to his other foot and as he came around, his other foot hit the ogre's head in the temple area in a sort of scissor kick.

He realized that he had a fraction of a second to adjust his now 13-foot fall to the earth, so he curled into a tight ball and was able to hit the ground in a graceful somersault.

He quickly turned and noticed that the ogre was beyond all thought. The creature had dropped its club and came at him with both hands ready to tear him in two. The blood on the ogre's face had splattered all over its grubby wolf-skins, and just as it was about to grasp the smiling monk, its quarry vanished again.

The ogre's howls of frustration were almost deafening.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Gathering the shadows seemed much more natural the second time he attempted it. He realized that if he switched directions just after disappearing, any attacks directed his way were most likely to miss.

He was pleased with this new technique, and had almost forgotten about the large brute standing nearby until it began swinging its club wildly in all directions. Fortunately, Ishido was standing opposite the ogre's blows, but knew that it wouldn't take long for the monster to turn his way.

The monk angled himself so he was standing right behind the ogre, then ran quickly toward it, vaulting forward at the back of its knees.

It collapsed, falling forward as Ishido adjusted his weight and kept his balance running up the ogre's backside. When he reached its head, it had not quite reached the ground.

Ishido brought both of his legs around the ogre's neck and twisted his body until he felt and heard a large snapping sound.

When the ogre finally reached the ground, it was dead.

Ishido disentangled himself from the beast. Darza reappeared ten feet from where he stood. The cat-creature clapped. "That was good work, Ishi-san!" Darza walked up and inspected the monk's handiwork. "You landed solid blows and used the shadows to avoid its attacks."

Ishido bowed at Darza. "Arigato gozaimasu, Nekko-san. Your tutelage has been excellent," he looked down at the beast. "Now I suppose the townsman wants proof of this ogre's demise. Do you mind using one of your knives to gather the evidence?"

Darza drew one of her daggers and bent down. "My pleasure, Ishi-san. Now maybe we can go relax in that friend's house I was telling you about."
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Ishdio and Darza returned to Skara Brae without incident. Ishido practiced walking in and out of the shadows until he felt a sense of comfort at instantly bringing them to his aid.

When they reached the house, Darza walked up to the door and pulled out a long, thin instrument and began wiggling it in the lock. Ishido was confused by the doors in the west, and was curious why everyone had such large doors when light, sliding wooden and paper doors worked just as well.

A moment later, she opened the door and welcomed him inside. Sure enough, a fireplace laid at one side of the room, and red embers gave the interiors a slightly reddish hue.

Darza added a couple pieces of wood from the side and stoked the flames until the room was toasty and more comfortable.

"So, Ishi-san, now that you know how to let the shadows surround you, what will you do with them?"

"I will study them further, Nekko-san," Ishido cocked his head at the cat lady, not quite sure why she had asked such an obvious question. "I now have a grasp on the form of shadows and how to manipulate their function. Now that I know this, I also understand that there are perhaps other forms and other functions that can be discovered."

Darza laughed. "Ishi-san, you are so funny! Why can't the shadows just be what they are? Why do you have to study so hard?"

Ishido shook his head in amazement. "It is important, Nekko-san. If I can understand them, I can perhaps teach others and gain enlightenment that can only be of benefit to my ki."

"Your wha?"

"My ki, Nekko-san. I believe you would say... Energy? Power? I am not sure."

"Oh, well okay then. I just think it's nice to be able to watch people and dodge my way out of trouble when I need to."

"But Nekko-san, if you are a spirit or a god, why do you need to dodge out of trouble?"

Darza crossed her eyes and stuck out her rough feline tongue. "Ishi-san, I'm NOT a god or a spirit, I don't think. My papa made me."

"What do you mean your papa *made* you?"

She smiled and sat down, crossing her legs. Ishido almost expected her to wrap a tail around herself, but no such appendage appeared.

"My papa was a magic user. He was working to make his animal friends more intelligent. My mama was a tabby cat, and when he ensorceled her, she did become much more intelligent, but she was pregnant with me at the time. When I was born, I was me!"

Ishido stared at her, unmoving. "Nekko-san, that seems very much like an animal-spirit story to me."

She shrugged. "Well, maybe I am then. I'm not sure I could ever find out, though. My papa was killed when I was very young. I'm not sure why, but I'd love to find out. I only survived because I was gone at the time."

"That is very sad, Nekko-san. I grieve for your loss."

She curled up next to the fire, laying on her side facing Ishido. "It was a long time ago, Ishi-san," she yawned, and all of her sharp teeth were bared. "But I think I am too tired right now for more explanations. More later, perhaps?"

"Hai, Nekko-san. Hai."

Darza was quickly asleep. Ishido turned and surveyed the room. He noticed a dark corner that was untouched by the light of the hearth, and knelt there. He did not need to sleep, but he did need to spend time meditating on his new learning. He closed his eyes and his mind became a part of the shadows as he drifted into an unconscious meditative state.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Ishido opened his eyes hours later, feeling calm and focused. He looked around the room, noticing not only that the fire had died down into red glowing embers again, and Darza did not appear to be in the room any longer.

He stood and looked around a bit more thoroughly, and still could not locate the furry creature. He walked out into the morning light and after his eyes had adjusted, he still could not see Darza anywhere nearby.

Leaning to the left of the door, however, was a burlap sack that was surrounded by flies and a dark moist spot at its bottom. Ishido did not have to open the bag to know the smell of dead ogre at a quick whiff.

The town spokesman was still hanging out near the barn to Ishido's right. At the moment, the man appeared to be inspecting a horse's hoof. The monk picked up the bag and walked toward the man.

"Ohayo gozaimasu," Ishido stated. Before looking up from his work, the man managed to dislodge a large rock from between the horse's hoof and put its leg down. "I have an item for you." Ishido placed the bag down on the ground and the man wrinkled his nose at the smell.

"So, the ogre's taken care of for now, eh?"

"Hai. Until another of its kind takes its place."

The man grunted and leaned over to a small sack near a hay bale. "Well, here's your compensation. Skara Brae thanks you for this service, friend. If you want to help us out again sometime, I may be able to find more such tasks."

Ishido bowed. "I shall consider your request for the future."

The man nodded. "If you need to return back to this area, the portal gate on the hill can bring you right back. Just press the correct sequence of runes." He described the process and said goodbye and Ishido walked to the south.

He walked up the hill to the portal and cleared his mind for a moment. He closed his eyes and sorted through his memories for mention of specific addresses and ways to travel between gates.

A second later he had his answer and stood at the middle of the stones, keying them in one by one until their glow enveloped him and transported him back to the confines of the keep.
.Stinky Pete.
Baron
Baron

Post by .Stinky Pete. »

Tig walked the keep for some time, entering various shops and observing many different individuals. In the first shop, he was able to buy a rapier that was well worn yet still had much life left in it. He also purchased a hooded cloak, belt and boots more suitable for the area.

He passed a large oak tree where it seemed many people met to discuss matters of business, the day's news, or even gossip. He wondered at the tree, so large and strong yet totally surrounded by hard stone. Before he could decide whether he should feel sorry for it or amazed at its strength to persevere, his eye was caught by a bright light near the wall of the keep. He looked over just in time to see a person disappear. He forgot about the tree and made his way over to the place the person had disappeared. On the way, another individual appeared and quickly headed in the direction of the tree.

Soon after, he arrived at a large stone square with a number of different runes upon it. He asked a commoner near the square what it was. The man smiled and began to explain that it was a magic portal that was activated by pressing the runes in sequences of four. He explained that there were portals throught the land that one would be sent to, which one depended on the sequence of runes. He was about to ask another question when a heavily armored dwarf approached them and said, "Beggin your pardon good elf, I have business with this one that will take but a moment."

The dwarf and the man spoke for a moment. When they were done the man turned and loudly stated somethign to the effect that one Dunabar Foehammer would like to exchange goods or services. He can be met at the portal. Tig could not be sure these were teh exact words as he was amazed that the otherwise soft spoken man could shout so loudly. He figured that the entire keep and beyond must have heard him.

He stood by to see if anyone would come for these goods or services. After a time, when no one came, the dwarf began to grumble. Tig looked at him and said, "Sir dwarf, My name is Tig. I am newly arrived here but perhaps you have something I might need." The dwarf looked him up and down and chuckled a bit. "Newly arrived indeed. Your leather armor still creeks when you move and your feet will blister before those boots fit right." He shook his head and said, "Come, follow me."

"Where are you taking me?"

"For a drink of some fine ale and then to give you a fighting chance of being sucessful around here." The dwarf turned and walked away without looking back. Tig decided to follow him. Just as he caught up, the dwarf said, "Me name's Dunabar. Friends call me Dun."

"And what should I call you, Sir?"

A deep chuckle and Dunabar replied, "I like that, Sir it is."

"But that is not what I meant?"

The dwarf did not reply and turned and made his way into the tavern he had passed earlier. Tig followed him in and sat at a chair that "Sir" motioned him to. A waitress brought 2 dark ales to the table without Tig having heard him order. The dwarf tested teh ale and smiled before downing the entire flagon. He motioned for Tig to do the same. Tig drank as much as he could but had to come up for air after drinking only half of the ale. He set the mug down, slightly embarrassed. Dun laughed and said, "Much better than the last elf I brought in here."

"Let me make this easy for you," he bagan as he motioned to the waitress for 2 more ales. He began to tell Tig about his own arrival and the keep and of his own adventures. It was clear that he was doing so in an effort to tell Tig about the Keep and not to brag. At times, Tig had to interrupt to ask a question. Every time, he had to ask he started his statement with "Sir" and every time it happened, the dwarf smiled, seemingly at some unshared joke. By the time Tig had finished his second ale, "Sir" was on his sixth or seventh, and Tig's head was swimming with stories of magic stones used in a forge of sorts, monsters of all descriptions and a list of names of people who would help him in a pinch if he needed it.

Suddenly, the dwarf popped up and said it was time to go. Tig stood and made his way to the door. He looked to open the door for his new aquaintance but soon realized the dwarf was still at the table. He went back to find the dwarf rummaging through his pack. Tig was unsure what he was doing but waited patiently. After a few minutes the dwarf looked up and smiled again. He then threw a small pack at Tig, explaining that it was his welcome to Blackstone bag. Tig cocked his head at this and said, "Blackstone? Sir, I thought it was Bleakstone." The dwarf closed his eyes and shook his head slowly. Tig thought he heard the word "newbie" but could not be sure.

"No, it is Blackstone and the name is Dun." he said. "Come follow me."

Dun led Tig to the building that he had found earlier and knew to be a temple. On the way there, Tig opened the pack and found a new rapier, some stoned that appeared would fit into pommel of the rapier, a number of healing potions and various other equipment. Dun stated that he had no use for the items and that he could have them. When tehy arrived at the temple, they entered together. Dun approached a cleric and spoke briefly to her. As Dun was talking to her Tig noticed her looking over Dun's shoulder at him. Dun turned and said, she'll take care of you from here. Before Tig could ask a question or even thank him, Dun moved to a light in the middle of the temple and disappeared. As Tig turned his attention back to the cleric, he realized that she was casting spells at him. In a brief monment of panic he thought that she was going to kill him and that Dun had set him up. Then he realxed as he felt the power of the spells took over. He could feel his senses heighten and his muscles strengthen. His rapier looked like a weapon from legends then was engulfed in flame. The cleric smiled and said she was done. All he could do was nod. She laughed and told him to head out of the keep and travel up the road until he found zombies to destroy. She explained that the magic would protect him and that he should return when he felt his skills increased.

He turned and left imediately. He knew this would be beter than marching and that he was on his way to becoming Shadow Warrior. He had killed 5 zombies before he realized that he had not asked the name of the cleric. He'd have to look for her or ask Dun later.

Over the next few days he fought many different creatures and met many different people. The best time what when he fought the ettins and increased his skills greatly. Soon he found himself in need of a true shadow warrior so that he could learn more. He was becoming more familiar with the ways of the shadows and even noticed shadows bending as others passed. They were obviously more at one with the shadows than he was. It was one like that he now sought. He had noticed that many people stood about the oak. Perhaps he could find one there.

He went back to the keep and stood in the shadows provided by a corner near the oak. He stood and observed those who passed or stood near the oak in an effort to find a teacher. While he stood there he thought of his father. He realized that his father would mingle, entertain, listen to rumors, and make gold from those such as these. Tig would soon feel comfortable enough to do this but first he needed to master his skills. There was gold to be made here and, more importantly, information to be gleaned.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Arriving back at the keep was swift and exhilarating. As the magical energies enveloped him, somehow disrupting, then reforming his molecules, Ishido attempted to focus on that distinct feeling of freedom in an attempt to compare it to the shadow's embrace. As his feet touched solid ground again, he organized his thoughts on the subject to be contemplated in a future travel through the portals.

His attention was drawn toward the large oak and numerous creatures flitting by while some sat at benches. Idle chatter reached his ears, and as he walked toward the social hub he looked toward a darkened corner and noticed slight movement.

Was this another creature of the shadows that he could learn from? Ishido casually walked toward the corner and bowed at the darkness.

"Hajimemashite. Watashi... I mean, hello, I am Ishido. I notice that you are also a student of the shadows."

The form in the shadows appeared suddenly, looking Ishido up and down.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

"Yes, they can be very useful for watching others," the man stated as he looked Ishido up and down. "Can I help you with something, stranger?"

"I would be interested in learning more about your method of using the shadows," Ishido bowed slightly by lowering his head and looking at the ground before looking back up into the stranger's eyes. "I could also teach you some of my own methods, Ronin-san."

"Roninsan? What's that? Just call me Tig, if you're going to call me anything," he stepped out of the corner and began walking with Ishido toward the portal. "I'd be happy to share a few trade secrets with you, Ishido."

"Ah, that will be excellent, Tig-san," As they both walked on the cobblestone streets, neither made a sound. "Ronin is a word for, how could I summarize... Wandering warrior. I meant no disresepct in calling you that."

Tig laughed. "None taken. Now what's all this 'san' business?"

"It is a way to refer to others in an honorable way, in my region. It is not practiced here, but I do not wish to insult others and use such a term in order to be most respectful."

Tig smiled and walked to the center of the portal. "Now where to?"