Enter the Lessers

Use this forum for In Character Interactions only.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

viobane
Duke
Duke

Enter the Lessers

Post by viobane »

*If anyone is interested in joining this bit of RP, feel free to create a less than powerful character, send me a PM and join me in BSK -- You can post your character's bio/background in another post then join me on this post when your character interacts with Beldin*

Beldin Porfeneld was about as average as an average gnome can get. He'd never been one to stand out in a crowd, and in fact in most crowds he would actually get stepped on by the larger folk, ignorant of his presence.

It's not that he wanted to be noticed, quite the contrary, he was fine with the lack of attention. It was just that he was tired of living such a humble life.

He had not been back to his homeland in ages, and had few memories of the place that were pleasant. When he was there, he was always a student of Vor at the local temple.

Mostly he swept floors and cared for the few underground luminescent plants that grew in the caverns. He read a few of the tomes, but was never able to work up the nerve to speak to one of the priests.

After the drow decimated the entire cavern, Beldin was loathe to continue living in the dank tunnels. He cringed with remembered embarassment that he had been bludgeoned and left for dead holding his broom.

He pulled himself from his reverie and focused again on the large temple and the stone guardians on the outside. Various characters flitted in and out of the building, some walking in with bleeding wounds, others walking out with a spring in their step and an aura of holy power around their heads.

Beldin had made his decision. Today was the day he dedicated his life to Vor. Today he was to become a mighty paladin. He laughed. Well, maybe just a paladin would do for now. Maybe the mighty part would come later.

If not, maybe the priests of this temple could use a broomhand?
Last edited by viobane on Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ValentianNizzle
Duke
Duke

Post by ValentianNizzle »

// Any chance of, say a level 40, Bard being a part of this? Trust me, he's pretty damn 'lesser' when it comes to fighting, and basically everything but business. Heh.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

//join up, my man. We'll see how he gets along with a first level nobody.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Beldin wandered the streets, gawking at the passersby and lusting over many of the expenisve items in the stores. The priests had left him with 1000 gold, and he had counted it numerous times during the boat ride to the keep.

He realized that he needed some supplies in order to fight evil, so he browsed the blacksmith's wares and choose a shiny sword with a few notches in its pommel and a chain shirt and shield for protection.

He adjusted the armor over his shoulders and was shocked at its weight. All the warriors he had seen wandering around the large tree had seemed to wear armor like it was a light robe. He struggled to take two steps, but was determined not to let on that he was struggling.

As he entered a small pawnshop, Beldin noticed a shiny silver piece of stone for sale that immediately caught his attention. There was something about the item that fascinated him.

He searched his pockets and offered the storekeep (Vogon was his name) his remaining 300 gold. The storekeep laughed and shook his head no.

Beldin was hurt by the refusal and walked to the corner of the shop and sulked, searching his inventory in an attempt to determine if he had enough in tradegoods.

A man dressed all in black entered the shop and casually walked to the counter. He had an air of confidence about him, and Beldin immediately liked him, although he was unsure why.

The mancasually engaged in conversation with Vogon as if they were old friends. When he saw the silvery stone, he too appeared pleasantly surprised and pulled a small purse from his cloak and paid the storekeep.

Beldin grumbled, "I am so jealous. If only I had enough cash, I would have bought that lovely treasure."

The man turned toward the gnome and raised an eyebrow. "You are interested in the bauble, are you?"

The man tossed it to Beldin, who grabbed for it, hit it with the tip of one finger causing it to clatter to the floor. The gnome quickly scooped the precious gem off the ground and pocketed it.

"I am not normally so generous," the man smiled. "but perhaps you might work out just fine."

"Well, to me," Beldin gleamed a bright toothy smile. "it's the first we've met and you've already been most generous. I have never seen such kindness." A tear welled up in his eye as the man shook his head.

"Well, follow me for a spell and allow me to show you something." he walked toward the door and Beldin followed quickly.

Beldin shrugged as they walked out of the shop. "I'm all ears! Well, since I'm a gnome, it's ears and nose. Both of which are yours!"
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

They walked for awhile, Beldin taking in the sights. Occasional "ooh"s and "ahh"s came from him as they journeyed past a few houses, the tavern, the blacksmith's and finally the dock.

At the dock, Beldin hesitated as the man in black walked onto the wooden path. The dock was secure with large logs jutting out of the sea every ten feet. The man kept walking, however, so Beldin walked tentaively at the very middle of the dock.

As they passed the large ship, Beldin let out an audible sigh of relief. When they cam to the end of the pier, the man turned and gazed at the gnome. Up and down he looked as if sizing a suit of armor.

"Manners always come first," the man in black stated with a slight emphasis on the 'r's. "And this time is no different. What is your name, gnome?"

"Manners? Oh dear me, yes! How could I forget such a small thing?" He laughed. "Well of course because I AM small. Manners ae very important and I always aim to please." The gnome chuckled again and then noticed the man had raised an eyebrow. He changed his chuckle into a cough and hoped the man in black did not notice.

"I am Beldin. Beldin Porfeneld at your service." He bowed elegantly.

"Yes, indeed you are. If you are to be my manservant, I expect certain... requirements. It can start by you always addressing me as Mr. Cairn."

"Master Cairn, you have my word on that!"

"Secondly, I can't have any manservant of mine dressed so sloppily."

Beldin looked down at his clothing. He had spent little time paying attention to fashion, and as he looked a little closer at his drab brown shirt and pantaloons, he realized that he was indeed plain.

As he looked up, the man in black tossed a purse to the ground. It clattered with the coins inside. Beldin looked to it then back to the man.

"You can use this money to purchase your new wardrobe. I have an ongoing deal with the tailor. Tell him that Mr. Cairn sends his regards," he paused and put his hand to his chin, lightly rubbing it. "You will need to make any metal armor you wear a black tone, and all accent should be in turquoise."

Beldin made a mental note, repeating it to himself over and over.

"For your services, you will receive fifty thousand gold per week and I will require you to complete various tasks."

Beldin immediately stopped the "black metal, turquoise accents" mantra and his jaw dropped. He numbly picked up the purse and looked inside at the multitude of shiny platnium pieces.

"If it's any consolation to you, Beldin, I will never require you to do anything that I myself would not do."

Beldin looked away from the money. "I worked at the temple for twenty years. When I left, I got 1000 gold which I brought with me to the keep. This is an amazing amount of money!"

Mr. Cairn snorted. Beldin continued, "Will there be sweeping involoved?" the gnome looked hopeful.

"I imagine there will be many other tasks besides sweeping."

"But there may be? If you're helping, should I urchase TWO brooms with this money?"

Mr. Cairn snorted again. "You can buy whatever you'd like. I've arranged for you to have a room at the inn. You may leave me now and find proper attire. Meet me again tomorrow near the portal."

Beldin smiled broadly. "You can count on me, Master Cairn! I will be the best manservant you've ever had! I'll do any task that comes to mind and more if need be!"

"Yes, yes. Now your task is to leave me."

Beldin bowed again and turned away, whistling. He hefted the pouch of gold and almost dropped it into the bay. He recovered and started back to the shore.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Beldin didn't actually know where the tailor was, or where anything else was for that matter, but he decided to head back to the large tree where everyone seemed to be gathered.

He planned on asking people for directions, and on further thought also decided he would ask them how they thought he looked in turquoise.

When he reached the tree, there were a few people sitting around chatting about this and that, but Beldin's mind could not stay focused on any conversation long enough to take anything in.

He was about ready to walk up to a man standing by a trash can when he looked over to a sign that had a picture of a shirt on it.

Succeeding in his quest, Beldin skipped over to the tailor's and went inside, instantly noticing the scent of silks, cotton and burlap.

He walked up to the tailor and looked in the stocks until he found some dyes that seemed to be the right color and also picked out a black feather and stuck it to his cap.

He sat down in the middlle of the floor with his assorted dyes and tried to remember, "black metal with turquoise accent or was it turquoise metal with black accents"? He looked at his dyes and decided that the turquoise was much better suited to his skin complexion and started liberally adding the bluish tone to his metal armor he had purchased earlier at the blacksmith's.

His hands were covere din the blue stuff by the time he was finished, and no doubt onlookers would also notice liberal amounts of color in his hair, and on his nose. If he had removed his shirt, strangly enough, there was also dye to be found on his chest, although he would never have been able to tell you how that had happened.

As he started with the black dye, he whistled to himself, enjoying this coloring task. Eventally, all his clothes matched in a wonderfully spendid way. "Master Cairn does have an excellent sense of style," Beldin said aloud. "Now I can make a proper gnomeservant!"
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

When walking back to the docks to find his new Master, Beldin was reeling in his happiness at finding someone to serve.

His skipping down the streets may have seemed strange to others, but to Beldin it felt like flying.

When he got to the docks, Master Cairn was no longer there. Beldin stood for a moment, contemplating wheter to just stand and wait for him or leave until another time.

A few seconds of watching the water was enough, though. He started to feel a bit sick to his stomach, and was sure his face was now a pale green color (while in reality, it still had smudges of turquoise dye).

He walked away from the dock, wondering what to do next. There were so many buildings in this keep. He walked north along the streets, and a child as large as he ran into him during one point in his journey (the child ran off before Beldin had the time to apologize).

He neared a large set of gates and a crooked old man walked up to him, desperation in his eyes. "Master gnome! Could you spare the time to help an old farmer down on his luck?"

Beldin's eyes went wide with worry. "OH! My word, of course I can spare time to assist you. Do you need help in herding sheep or planting corn or sweeping out the barn?" he grinned from ear to ear with that thought.

"No, no nothing like that, although that would be a boon," the man noticed Beldin's downcast face. "I need help because my cattle are being killed by an unnatural number or wolves sweeping out of the nearby woods!"

Beldin looked up, a spark of hope returning to his eyes. "So I'd be saving the cattle and also helping you out at the same time? And what's a boon?"

The farmer nodded. "That you would, son. I can't afford to lose any more cattle, winter is getting close, and my family will starve without the cattle. And a boon means it would be helpful."

"Well that sounds like a noble adventure!" Beldin drew a small sword he had purchased from the blacksmith and started to walk out of the keep's gates. "I will save your cattle, Master farmer! Master Cairn would be so pleased with my manners!"
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Beldin walked through the small hamlet, amazed by the farmhouses but especially impressed by the large barn. The door was slightly open, and he couldn't help but take a small peek and noticed a hoarde or large rats taking advantage of the empty stables and the absence of the farmer to take what they pleased.

Beldin decided to take care of that problem. He stormed in, stepping on one rat, cutting another in two with his sword. The rest strangely rnough did not scatter, but attacked him directly.

One ran up his pants and arms and latched itself onto Beldin's small ear. Another tried chewing on his boot.

Beldin thrashed about, dislodging the ear-biting rat and accidentily stomping on the other.

"Ouch! That really hurt! You come in here expecting a free meal and you decide to try and have gnomefood instead? I think not!"

Beldin chased after the rat that had bit him, finally stabbing it with his sword. When he looked down at the bloody pulp, a slight glimmer caught by the barn's lanterns made him lean closer to investigate.

He saw a small stone radiating a faint glow out of the gore. Fascinated by the rock, he flicked it out of the rat with his sword and then picked up the gem with a hankerchief.

After wiping the gore off, he noticed that the gem had a blackish surface to it that looked a bit like obsidian. He pocketed the gem, wondering at its beauty and glow and threw the hankerchief on top of the dead rat not wanting to have the blood get into his pouch.

He, however, ignored the fact that his ear was bleeding profusely directly into his pack.

He then sheathed his sword, began wistling again and walked out of the barn.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

A dirt path behind the barn led to a large pasture with a pond. A dozen or so cows stalked patches of grass throughout the field.

Beldin walked past an outcropping of large stones, still whistling. He kept his eyes open for wolves, but couldn't see any. Was it possible that the farmer was wrong?

The grass was long. An end of summer feature in large fields that Beldin had not encountered in his long years in his small cavern village. He was enjoying the tickle of grass against his face, and he could only see most of the field when he was on the top of small hilltops.

A rustle of grass was all the warning he got as a gray shape jumped upon a cow about fifty feet away. The cow brayed in protest as the wold quickly ended its life.

Beldin was upset at the sudden and brutal carnage and drew his small sword, rushing the wolf.

The wolf bared its teeth and growled deep in its throat as Beldin came closer, and when he finally reached the lupine form, two more wolves jumped out on either side.

He suddenly realized that he was ill equipped to deal with one of these beasts, let alone three of them and briefly wondered if the cow's fate was soon to be his own.

Luckily for the small gnome, a brightly dressed woman surprised the wolf that attempted to flank him.

She laughed as she speared the wolf with her sword. The distraction was more than enough for Beldin to trip and inadvertantly impale the wolf nearest him.

As Beldin recovered, disentangling himself from grass and various spills of gore, the woman finished off the remaining wolf and rushed over to help him up.

"Thank you, madame," Beldin craned his neck to look up at the tall human. His eyes widened when he saw her so close. "Wow! You are beautiful!"

The woman laughed again. "Thank you, small one! It seemed like this was a good time to make your acquaintence."

"Indeed it was! Those wolves are much smaller from a hilltop away. Once I actually got to them I wondered if I should try to kill them or just jump on their backs and ride them."

The woman smiled warmly. "I am Samantha Aadams, Singer of songs and teller of tales."

"Oh!" Beldin's once smiling face cascaded into a frown. "Why can I never remember to introduce myself properly. Maybe Master Cairn is right and I need to work more on my manners." He shook his head.

"Well, are you?"

"Am I what?"

"Going to introduce yourself?"

Beldin slapped his forehead. "Of course! I am Beldin. Beldin Porfeneld."

"Did you say Porfeneld?" She wrinkled her brown and looked to the distance in thought. "Isn't there a gnomish king with the surname of Porfeneld?"

Beldin's eyes widened. "I don't know. It certainly wasn't the case in the small village where I swept floors and such."

She eyed him shewdly. "But it is, of course possible?"

Belding laughed. "No, I don't think so, Singer of Songs. Not a poor homeless gnome like myself."

She again smiled, brightening Beldin's world. "Regardless, you seem a noble sort. Would you care to assist me in finding a wolves' den? I hear she may be responsible for the increase in bovine deaths lately."

"Oh! I am trying to determine the same thing!" Beldin hopped on one foot, then the other. "I would love to join you, lovely Songmistress!"
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Samantha started humming as they walked into a small cavern holding the stench of wet fur and musk. "It would be wonderful to be able to come up with an epic ballad," she was saying. "I think fame would be a natural thing for one with my talents, but the fortune should come along. Preferably sooner than later, don't you think?"

Beldin nodded, not quite sure what he was nodding about. "You know what is really needed is more songs about gnomes," he gazed into the darkness trying to make out any figures in the shadows. "It's beginning to be hard to see the end of my nose. Nothing as big as a gnome nose."

Beldin stopped in his tracks. "You know, gnome nose is kind of fun to say! Gnome nose, gnome nose, gnome nose," He laughed. At that time a wolf who had been stalking them jumped out and bit at Samantha who smoothly cut at the wolf as it lunged. Beldin watched, holding his sword limply at his side eyes crossed as he tried to locate his nose. "You should sing a song about that, beautiful singer of songs. Oh! where did that wolf come from?"

Samantha finished off the wolf in a few easy slashes of her blade, then sheathed the weapon and looked at Belding in a contemplative manner. "Hmmm... You know you don't have to be so nice, but it sure if fine for you to continue complimenting me. Your opinions are so valid!" She giggled and began to hum to herself. "A gnomes nose, a gnomes nose. What it does nobody knows!"

Beldin started humming along with her. "I like that song a lot! If you continue coming up with such excellent material, you'll be famous in no time Samantha Addams singer of songs!"
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

When they finally reached the darkest part of the cave the faint light from the ceiling of the cave had stopped showing direct sunlight through the tree roots and packed earth.

"Well, it seems that this is the end of the cave," Beldin noted. "Shall we turn back, then?"

Samantha pointed to a large wolf growling at them from a distance, hackles raised. "I think we may need to deal with this one first!"

The wolf was easily double the size of other lupines. It was hard to imagine this wolf being able to exit the cavern with such girth. Beldin wasn't sure if the wolf was pregnant, fat or just full of muscle. He hoped for the animal to just be fat and slow as it started slowly creeping toward them.

Samantha started to sing the gnome song, and Beldin's spirits soared. He was suddenly proud of his gnomish heritage and started thinking that his nose was not just a large mishappen piece of flesh but was actually a striking and handsome physical attribute.

His confidence was heightened to the point that he gripped his sword with renewed vigor and strength and when the wolf came for him he was ready! He jumped out of the way deftly and Samantha, still singing hit the wolf with her sword from its flank.

The two danced around the wolf, eventually turning its growls into whimpers of pain. Samantha put in the death blow and ended her song. Beldin was suddenly aware that he had been fighting with his sword and almost dropped it, but instead had the presence of mind to sheath the weapon.

"We should skin this beast! I'm sure it will be worth a ton of money at the keep!" She took out a dagger and began to skin the animal.

"If you need money, I have some here that Master Cairn gave me. It's more than I have ever seen and I would be happy to share some of it with you, Madame singer of songs!" He rifled through his pack and took some platinum pieces from his purse and offered them to her.

"What a wonderful gnome you are, and so intelligent! I suppose I can accept this donation in the name of furthering my talents."

Beldin blushed as she took the money, finished skinning the wolf and they walked from the cave together, both humming the "gnome nose" ballad.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

The two parted company soon after, she rushing to spend her newly acquired wealth, Beldin to wander the keep to find his master.

Fortunately, Master Cairn was easy to spot. He stood nearby the keep's portal, occasionally slipping the town crier a gold piece to make an announcement about his merchandise.

Beldin was pleased to see him, now that he was dressed in a manner that was sure to please the sharply dressed man.

"Master Cairn! I found wonderful clothing and was able to color it just as you said!" He turned in a full circle for his master to see. Cairn raised his eyebrows, possibly noticing the colors were opposite what he had requested. "I met a wonderful singer of songs as I wandered around the pasture! I think I'm ready for another task. I'm sorry, I haven't found a broom in this keep yet. The corridors must be full of dust!"

Cairn's eyebrows were still raised as the gnome talked. "Manners, Beldin, manners," He shook a finger at the gnome. "You must always remember them while you are in my service."

"Was I having poor manners just now?" Beldin furrowed his brow in confusion. "Maybe I don't know what they are, then, because I thought I was being polite." He hung his head in shame.

"You must make sure to use a lower voice when we talk, Beldin," He lowered his voice to a whisper. "Like this."

"Ohhhhh," Beldin also lowered his voice. "I can try to do that, although it is hard to hear when we're whispering all the time like this. Anyway, is there a task you have for me, Master Cairn?"

Cairn sighed, then snapped his fingers. "Indeed there is, Beldin," He looked to the gnome. A bystander may have noticed a slight hint of scorn on the man's face, but Beldin did not. "I need you to go to the bulletin board and post a message for me."

Beldin clapped and jumped on one foot in happiness. "Oh yes indeed, yes indeed!" He whispered despite all the jumping. "What message should I take to the board?"

"You should use the following title: 'Mr. Cairn Seeking Skilled Warriors'," he paused, noticing the gnome staring at him intently. "Then continue with the following message: 'Skilled warriors and scavengers needed. Excellent compensation available. Speak to my manservant Beldin,'" He paused again. "What was your surname again, Beldin? Ah it doesn't matter. Finish the message with 'for more details.'"

Beldin looked like he was in a trance, staring so directly at the man in black. "Did you get the message, Beldin?"

Beldin's stare stopped and he blinked twice. "Oh yes, oh yes I did!" He twirled in front of the man. "I'm so excited to fulfill this task! Is there anything else you need, Master Cairn?"

Cairn smiled. "Nothing at this time, Beldin. Now run along now and post that message."

Beldin skipped away, in the wrong direction singing softly. Cairn thought he heard the gnome singing something about a nose, but his attention quickly turned to a customer arriving to browse his wares.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Beldin walked past the large oak, noticing a numer of people sitting on benches talking. He smiled to himself and wondered what it was like having friends like that. He hoped that Master Cairn would be pleased with his work and be able to introduce him to other interesting people and friends!

He almost forgot what he was looking for as he wandered the keep. He smelled the briny smells of the docks and watched a few gulls float on the waves before moving on to watch some children play.

He noticed a man greeting newcomers to the keep, and noticed a small block house detached from the rest that looked a bit imposing.

When he reached the city hall, he noticed a man standing next to an announcement board and snapped his fingers. The message!

He strained to remember what Master Cairn had told him. He remembered the general idea, but the more he thought about it, the harder it became to remember the details.

He walked up to the scribe as Beldin tapped his lip in thought. "Excuse me, sir scribe. How do you make a posting on this announcement board?"

The scribe looked at the diminuitve gnome and raised one eyebrow. "We don't allow this board to be used for blueprints or schematics of any type" He frowned at Beldin and began to tap one of his feet. "A few weeks ago, a gnome took up all the space on this board writing notes about some sort of siege engine he had decided to build. It took me days to clean that up."

Beldin looked at the board, which was covered in layered parchments. He imagined the board with various illustrations and instructions to building something like a siege engine and a small part of his mind rejoiced in such a notion. However, he shook his head remembering his task and replied to the scribe.

"Oh no, Mr. Scribe. I have no intentions other than to leave a message for my Master Cairn," He paused for a moment. "Do you still have those drawing, by chance?" The scribe shot Beldin an evil eye. "Oh, well, nevermind then. So how do I post this message?"

The scribe sighed and held out a piece of parchment and a quill pen. "Take this. You can only write a certain amount of words per page, and pages may only be single sided. Content is reviewed by the local morality board, so make sure that your posting is decent for all eyes." He looked toward the children playing in the distance. "This is a family bulletin board."

"Oh, no problem with that Mr. Scribe," Beldin took the parchment and quill from the man and laid down on the cobblestones to write his note. "Master Cairn gave me a specific note to post, and it was very decent, indeed!"
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Beldin still could not remember the exact message. He tapped the quill against the paper until noticing that there was a large ink dot on the page where he had been tapping. He shrugged and began to concentrate on his penmanship.

"Master Cairn Seeks Skilled War"

He ran out of room on that line, and so he decided to stop. He underlined the title and moved ahead into the body of the note.

"Noble Master Cairn, the mighty blacksmith & wonderful overall person, seeks the best & brightest fighters."

He stopped writing and held the quill tip to his lip, making a large ink dot.

"Excellent scavengers also. If interested, speak to his humble gnomeservant, Beldin Porfeneld."

He had filled the parchement. He stood and gave the message to the scribe, who reviewed it slowly, then opened the glass cover of the bulletin board and secured the note above one that was yellowed with age.

Beldin bowed to the scribe and began to walk away, back toward Cairn's merchant corner, when suddenly he remembered more of the message and smacked his forehead. He turned and ran back to the scribe.

"Can I have that sheet back, I forgot to add something!"

The scribe shook his head. "No, once messages are posted, they are final. We remove them every so often, but you will need to just start a new message."

Beldin sighed and asked for a new parchment and quill, which the scribe handed over. Beldin again made himself comfortable on the cobblestones and began to write.

"Oh dear, Oh dear, Oh dear"

He again ran out of room on the first line, and underlined the title.

"Humble and poor gnomeservant, Beldin Porfeneld, employed by Master Cairn, posted a message missing important details. Kings ransom paid for services offered in warrior or scavenger stock."

He thought his penmanship was getting better, and smiled as he handed over the note. The scribe again posted the note and Beldin made it two steps away before he remembered the final bit of information.

As soon as he turned around, the scribe automatically handed him a parchement and quill pen. Beldin began again.

"And More Oh Dears Offered"

Title complete, Beldin began to work on the message in his halting and poorly formed letters.

"You may be pleased to note that Master Cairn, on judicious and wonderful master, is also wanting to communicate that the king's satisfaction will last for every fortnight. I think that is is in gold? Ask f"

The "f" ended on that page. Belding began to turn to the back of the page but the scribe had been watching and took the paper from him before he could continue. "I think that's it for now, gnome."

The scribe posted the message and Beldin handed him the quill. As he walked away, he licked his lips and tasted the ink, which made him hungry and also made him decide that he liked this leaving messages duty.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Beldin walked back to his master with a spring in his step. He had completed the task and was excited for more.

Cairn stood on the corner, speaking to a man in dark robes and hood. Beldin walked right up to Cairn and tugged on one of his sleeves. Cairn swatted hard at him and turned slightly to the gnome.

"Beldin," he whispered with much menace. "DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT ever interrupt me when I am with a customer." He turned back to the cloaked figure.

"Now, Mr. Luthur, about this necklace you want me to produce."

The man laughed, looking at Beldin, who had gone to stand in a corner. "Mr. Cairn, is that your new servant?"

"Yes he is, Mr. Luthur," Cairn gestured behind his back at Beldin. Most people may have realized that he was attempting to communicate that the gnome should be silent. Beldin, however, merely looked at the gesture and started mumbling to himself over what his master meant. "And he is not for sale at this time."

"Pity, that. He's a cute fellow," The man winked at Beldin from behind his cowl. "Now, back to business. I would like you to add these rubies to this necklace." Mr. Luthur placed a series of gems into Cairn's hand. "Is there any chance you could put a rush on that order?"

"I could do so, but you understand the additional expense that comes with such a request?"

"I do indeed. Good day, Mr. Cairn." Mr. Luthur turned and walked toward the great oak.

Cairn pocketed the rubies and turned, frowning at Beldin. "Your manners are in serious need of a readjustment, Beldin," He held up one finger. "You shall be docked 1000 gold for your inability to wait to speak before being spoken to," He held up a second finger. "You will be docked two thousand gold for interrupting me," Beldin jumped as Cairn held up a third finger. "And you will be docked another 2000 gold for not whispering when we are speaking."

Beldin cleared his throat and began to whisper. "Okay, Master Cairn," he looked upon the man with mournful eyes. "I feel both ashamed and embarrassed to have caused you any inconvenience. I just wanted to say that your message has been posted and I am waiting for further instruction."

"At the moment, I would like to be left alone, Beldin," Cairn pointed in a southernly direction. "I think you should go and stay at the room I have for you at the inn. Do not bother me again until tomorrow morning."

Beldin bowed deeply and decided not to speak any further, fearing his master's displeasure. As he walked away, he heard someone walk up to Cairn laughing and mentioning something about the "king's satisfaction."

Beldin, for the life of him, could not figure out what was so funny.