Why is Marvale and the Druid Grove so Tough?

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Why is Marvale and the Druid Grove so Tough?

Post by Capt Cliff »

I seems to me that the Druid Grove and Marvale are out of sequence with the other qwests. You need Marvale to do the Shadow Devil after which is Snort. Fine but they should be in ever increasing difficulty. Marvale with all the clerics is way tougher that Snort. The Druid Grove is out of this world compared to Snort. What happends is that a couple of high lvl's accompany a lower level to complete the qwest. But the big problem is that to complete the qwest the low lvl has to do the killing blow! Which can be nigh impossible or very tricky to accomplish. A less steeper learning curve I think is required, plus more experience points for monsters. A minotaur (6 hit die) get's you 450 ep while a Huge Fire Elemental (16 hit die) get's you 40? That's out of wack to the game system. The more hit dice the more ep, that was the way it was with the old board system.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

BSK has been retooled by driller, and the quests are not designed to be linear. There are many different quests given by many different people, and a part of the exploration is finding which quests are appropriate for your level. All the initial quests are graduated (if you know what order to do them in), up until level 20, then the quests get VERY difficult.
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

Thanks Viobane! The problem is getting from 15 to 20. Thst is roughly 100k ep. There are no qwests or dunegons out there that allow the player to gain ep easily at that lvl. Running thru the swamp at 27 to 55 ep a kill is boring! Going into the 3rd shrine and killing 16 hit dice monsters, huge elementals, for 55 ep a kill is wierd and boring. Driller just redid the swamp, more ep and tougher monsters, good for lvl 8 to 12. But why not make Marvale a lvl 12 to 18 dungeon? Tone it down to make it do able. The game is suppose to be fun and not endlessly boring and furstrating.

One exception. The Dm, don't know who, took me and another PC on a ride to kill a liche!! Yoweee was that a blast! Got 9k ep for it and got my paladin to lvl 16. One bright spot.
Pretty Fly White Guy
Duke
Duke

Post by Pretty Fly White Guy »

level 15-20? Mindflayers/Trolls/Giants.

Any of those can get you that 100k within 2 days.
wdpepsiman
Count
Count

Post by wdpepsiman »

LOOK Cap'n Cillfy this server was not designed just so you could walk your way through each area unhindered.

Might i suggest you get off your arse and explore it a bit and stop complaining about it, hell if it is that difficult for ya maybe you should try something else. I can see right now by your posts that you will be a whiner and complainer.

oh ya one more thing
why do we have 2 posts with the exact same thing
have a nice day
chix0r
Baron
Baron

Post by chix0r »

wdpepsiman wrote:LOOK Cap'n Cillfy this server was not designed just so you could walk your way through each area unhindered.

Might i suggest you get off your arse and explore it a bit and stop complaining about it, hell if it is that difficult for ya maybe you should try something else. I can see right now by your posts that you will be a whiner and complainer.

oh ya one more thing
have a nice day
Are you ignoring the fact that he's actually asking questions and also praising parts of the server he likes? Just because he doesn't automatically agree with you doesn't mean that he's a whiner and a complainer.

Contrary to popular belief, no module is perfect, and BSK is no exception. It has its good points and its bad points, but just because he isn't praising it doesn't give you an excuse to lay into him.

The druid and marvale quests were tough if you didn't have an epic build on the way or a large party. In fact, unless you were told when to do them, most people tried to do them when they obtained the quest, and then ended up dying and not knowing why. It took us a party of over level 20s to complete the druid quest.

Oh, but let me guess, I don't know how to play a fighter so I should go off and tweak my build? That's not how the game is meant to be played.
"Whyyyy?! Whyyy my piggy, whyyy? I loveded you piggy, I loveded youuu!" -- Gir, Invader Zim

It breaks my heart everytime I hear it! xD
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

It must be that time of the month...

-driller
Caesius
Duke
Duke

Post by Caesius »

Trolls and minotaurs each have hundreds of hit points. I don't see how they could be considered 6 hit die. I would be more inclined to believe they are at 18-20 hit die creatures. The enemies at marvale and the grove have fewer HP but they have more spellcasters and so you will need to be prepared if you don't want to get killed by their spell chucking. Either the right equipment, the right buffs or the right allies could do the trick.
The only constant is change.
DM Dragonheart
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM Dragonheart »

*Grins an evil grin*..hmmmm perhaps i could set the server to Hardcore..that way petrification becomes permamnat until restored with a spell or death...and the creatures have Dev crit*ponders on the idea*
And they came from out of the mists... the hordes of undead

Nothing stood in the wake of their path and the carnage and destruction was insurmountable.

Quinon guye captain 7th Guard
FOXY LADY790
Count
Count

Post by FOXY LADY790 »

DH nooooo ya keep that finger off the hardcore botton LOL

Sheeeesh if ya think the sever is not want ya looking for go else where
BSK is set just nice for all players on and we are all happy with it as it is :)

DM Dragonheart wrote:*Grins an evil grin*..hmmmm perhaps i could set the server to Hardcore..that way petrification becomes permamnat until restored with a spell or death...and the creatures have Dev crit*ponders on the idea*
I may be small but im fast cunning and very very devious
Fenrip
Duke
Duke

Post by Fenrip »

Those are perfect times to find a party. It can be a little tedious in the looking stage but if you make a litte effort around here to party up, you should be able to make a run at marvale or the Druid. Even beter, party up in a hunting zone and jump a couple levels.

Took me FOREVER to get those 2 the first time around. If you stick to solo, it could be abit.
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

wdpepsiman wrote:LOOK Cap'n Cillfy this server was not designed just so you could walk your way through each area unhindered.

oh ya one more thing
have a nice day
This can be discribed with one finger, the little one. You ain't worth the main one.
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

chix0r wrote:

oh ya one more thing
have a nice day
Are you ignoring the fact that he's actually asking questions and also praising parts of the server he likes? Just because he doesn't automatically agree with you doesn't mean that he's a whiner and a complainer.

Contrary to popular belief, no module is perfect, and BSK is no exception. It has its good points and its bad points, but just because he isn't praising it doesn't give you an excuse to lay into him.

The druid and marvale quests were tough if you didn't have an epic build on the way or a large party. In fact, unless you were told when to do them, most people tried to do them when they obtained the quest, and then ended up dying and not knowing why. It took us a party of over level 20s to complete the druid quest.

Oh, but let me guess, I don't know how to play a fighter so I should go off and tweak my build? That's not how the game is meant to be played.
Thanks for the support. It makes playing Blackstone Keep even more enjoyable.
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

Fenrip wrote:Those are perfect times to find a party. It can be a little tedious in the looking stage but if you make a litte effort around here to party up, you should be able to make a run at marvale or the Druid. Even beter, party up in a hunting zone and jump a couple levels.

Took me FOREVER to get those 2 the first time around. If you stick to solo, it could be abit.
Trying to round up a party is really tough, beside trying to keep them together. Herding cats would be easier. But when it clicks its a real hoot.

My main point is that each preceding qwest dungeon trains you for the next. But after the Ettins there's a wide gulf and a lot of slogging to buff your PC to hit the next qwest in line. I've seen Maug's Fortress what ever is in there will most likely kill me. I was warned not to go in there. I guess I nee to keep on hack and slashing.
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

Caesius wrote:Trolls and minotaurs each have hundreds of hit points. I don't see how they could be considered 6 hit die. I would be more inclined to believe they are at 18-20 hit die creatures. The enemies at marvale and the grove have fewer HP but they have more spellcasters and so you will need to be prepared if you don't want to get killed by their spell chucking. Either the right equipment, the right buffs or the right allies could do the trick.
Trolls and Minotaurs are 6 HD + 36 and + 12 respectivily, see http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35 , FYI