Why the Low Experience Points per Monster?

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Why the Low Experience Points per Monster?

Post by Capt Cliff »

Why do some large hit die monsters have such lower experience point reward? I am a 15th season Cleric/Mage trying to make 16th, like forever! Anyway I am in the 3rd shrine with the elenentals and I am getting 55 ep for a 12 to 16 hit die monster! The same as a Lizard Captain!! I need 12k to make level or I need to kill, let see, 240 element kills! Yicks that would be boring. There are some pretty cool low lvl dungeons but no mid-lvl dungeons. Now I've been to the druid grove and get 600 ep per kill, what hit die are they 12? But it's very easy to die there if you run into the main man. The minotaurs are cool but I need to be really buffed to stay alive. I seem to be stuck in the horse latitudes! I guess this is for driller to answer.
Last edited by Capt Cliff on Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kurgan-WL
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Kurgan-WL »

At your level, go kill trolls or move on to the waste giants
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

Trolls are a 6 hit dice monster as are the minotaurs in Snorts area. But why the disaparity? Is the Bkackstone Keep dungeon so misaligned with the Forgotten Realms experience award system that a minotaur is 450 ep while a huge elemental is 40 ep? A little tweaking is in order, I think.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

This isn't Forgotten Realms, it is Blackstone Keep.

-driller
Capt Cliff wrote:Trolls are a 6 hit dice monster as are the minotaurs in Snorts area. But why the disaparity? Is the Bkackstone Keep dungeon so misaligned with the Forgotten Realms experience award system that a minotaur is 450 ep while a huge elemental is 40 ep? A little tweaking is in order, I think.
DM Dragonheart
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM Dragonheart »

BSK is unique server and as driller has stated isnt a forgotten realms server..

This was an idea that Driller put together over 3 yrs ago and has been an on going thing since then..

The xp system is as i see a good layout but perhaps exploring more depending on your chrs lvl would be in order.. if you dont have all the portal codes to explore different areas try doing a few quests or ask IC in game 8)
And they came from out of the mists... the hordes of undead

Nothing stood in the wake of their path and the carnage and destruction was insurmountable.

Quinon guye captain 7th Guard
wdpepsiman
Count
Count

Post by wdpepsiman »

well now your first problem is that you are a mage type char and it is obvious you really do not know how to play one if you are still hanging around elementals in a low level shrine

a little tweaking is in order, i think
chix0r
Baron
Baron

Post by chix0r »

wdpepsiman wrote:well now your first problem is that you are a mage type char and it is obvious you really do not know how to play one if you are still hanging around elementals in a low level shrine

a little tweaking is in order, i think
I don't think he doesn't know how to play a mage, probably doesn't know the route everyone in BSK apparently has to take.
"Whyyyy?! Whyyy my piggy, whyyy? I loveded you piggy, I loveded youuu!" -- Gir, Invader Zim

It breaks my heart everytime I hear it! xD
Caesius
Duke
Duke

Post by Caesius »

Multiclassing multiple spellcasting classes tends to dilute one's power in exchange for versatility. Not a recommended build choice for beginners. If I were to make a wizard/cleric I would have probably taken all my cleric levels early on and save my wizard levels for after so I can get the best melee bonuses not to mention getting things like spell resistance and other defensive/support spells. Still I would probably make one of the two classes my primary rather than keeping them both equal.

Not that I want to tell cliff how to play the game. But on this server, if you don't want to optimize your character's ability to be able to kill things like these single handedly, then the only alternative is to travel in a group.
The only constant is change.
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

driller wrote:This isn't Forgotten Realms, it is Blackstone Keep.

-driller
Capt Cliff wrote:Trolls are a 6 hit dice monster as are the minotaurs in Snorts area. But why the disaparity? Is the Bkackstone Keep dungeon so misaligned with the Forgotten Realms experience award system that a minotaur is 450 ep while a huge elemental is 40 ep? A little tweaking is in order, I think.
The problem with that is that one loses his perspective on the game. Huge elementals which at 12 to 16 hd and hit like 12 to 16 hd but pay only 40 ep is confusing. Maybe you need to poulate these areas with other types of monsters. You've tweeked the swamp very nicely! Tweeking some of the other areas would also do the trick. Just a suggestion.
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

Caesius wrote:Multiclassing multiple spellcasting classes tends to dilute one's power in exchange for versatility. Not a recommended build choice for beginners. If I were to make a wizard/cleric I would have probably taken all my cleric levels early on and save my wizard levels for after so I can get the best melee bonuses not to mention getting things like spell resistance and other defensive/support spells. Still I would probably make one of the two classes my primary rather than keeping them both equal.

Not that I want to tell cliff how to play the game. But on this server, if you don't want to optimize your character's ability to be able to kill things like these single handedly, then the only alternative is to travel in a group.
Caesius, you've hit the nail on the head! Cudo's! Maybe there should be some penalty for PC's not joining up into a party. But there is a penalty for being in a party because if you have completed a qwest and your in a part doing that qwest you can screw the completion up if your not careful. That needs to be fixed unless it's hard wired into the NWN system.

If I were a DM, I DM'd board games for ten years back in the 80's, and I found some guy wandering around by himself balsting things I'd give him a real challenge when he rounded the next corner. "Here's Johnnie!"

Soory if I am picking at the Keep but I am an engineer and we do so want to change things! :P
Kurgan-WL
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Kurgan-WL »

This isn't Forgotten Realms, it is Blackstone Keep.

-driller
Capt Cliff wrote: I am an engineer and we do so want to change things! :P
I think the first quote bears repeating since it doesn't seem to be sinking in. The second quote leads me to suggest this, why not try your hand at making a MOD you like. BSK is linear in its progression but the monsters don't necessarily follow the "rules". Elementals should give more XP and maybe be a bit tougher than trolls by FR rules, but once again, this is BSK.

As a suggestion for trolls, as a mage, you can wear a greater or elite swordsmans belt. Cast shadow shield, stoneskin, Mestil's acid sheath, and elemental shield on yourself. This will work for you through the ants in the southern waste.
Rami_Ahmed
Baron
Baron

Post by Rami_Ahmed »

If you can survive in the waste, you can earn really good xp. But as I wrote some time ago in an other thread, Cleric/Mage(Wizard/Sorcerer) is not a strong build, when both classes are taken equally and you're under level 20. But I've already written that once, and I see that others have also repeated this now. :wink:
Official Linkin Park fan!