What do you love/hate about Blackstone?

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

mayble wrote:Dont know if your still reading this thread or not still but I will post something that I have a problem with now that I have been playing a long time with multiple lvl 40 characters. This is the high lvl loot. There is nothing that drops in the game to enhance or better you gear/weopons other than a forge stone every now and then. To many heal kits and pots drop. I think the loot table is pretty bad at the high end lvl. No chances of finding that great sword or armor.

On the good side, this is the best server ive palyed on so far. I really do like everything else but the bad loot.
I second what Mayble has to say! Right on Pally! It is boring as all hades to fish at Marvale for forge stones, the only buffs a lvl 40 can use. Although I did find a spell stopper cloak but I need a red and blue forge stone to buff it to make it useful.

All in all a great srever if we can kill the lag by killing NWN2. Thanksgiving has come and gone and this turkey (NWN2) won't die!
Lukas_Mandingo
Duke
Duke

Post by Lukas_Mandingo »

if your god is lia, she rewards you with loot witch is very nice when you need the gold. if you hunt the umgahs they give pretty good stuff ( also known as forge stones :P ).
Edge Lorderon
Knight
Knight

Post by Edge Lorderon »

I have to say that i love this server. I have meet some amazeing people on this server. Some in a good way and some in a bad way, but that is life. As far as DM's doing things that are bad, such as favoring. I belive that problem was taken care of a while ago. I will probey never get NWN 2, comp cant play it. anyways that is not what i wanted to say. As the very wise Qui pointed out ealier about the human phyc. is that no matter were you go people will abuse power, but you have to look at all the amazing things that BSK has. i am not talking about the forge system or the loot, or the pvp being balanced. It is the great moments that you share with people you will never meet. it shows the very pit of human exsistance, how much social activities affect our lives. I have had some hell of advntures with people. sorry for my speach but thta is the only way i can describe it. I mean were else can you go, to go on great adventures of epic prepotions. that would even rival Achilies himself. and do it with people you have never meet before. i have learn alot in my year here. i know many have had the adventures and know what i speak of. to me BSK is not just how well you can build a char ( although it is nice to have a good char :D ) but it is a place were people from diffrent back rounds can co-exsist with one another. it may be a bumpy ride, but shit what isnt in life. BSK really is what the world should be like. yeah i mean you have ass holes but there everywhere, for the most part everyone gets along. I person think that each person should just sit back for one second and really see BSK for what it is. Thank you for listening
Edge Lorderon
Lukas_Mandingo
Duke
Duke

Post by Lukas_Mandingo »

:lol: *claps* :lol:
Fletchbren
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Fletchbren »

love: I like the crafting and the fact that it isnt impossible to get to level 40 like on some servers. I also like some of the balances and such and the fact that theres alot of friendly people on it.
Hate: This is like the only server were ive rolled twelve 1's in a row. Death magic immunity items are useless because all the creatures that use death magic use implosion or finger of death. The quests get buggy sometimes.
KingAwsm
Knight
Knight

Post by KingAwsm »

Yes, i have to agree, the forge is what makes people go out and adventure. It would also have been cool to have horses to get around faster

I dislike nothing, its the only server i play on.

Siuol Jarna.
Fren Kross.
Kasharil Menset.
KingAwsm is the king of all kings.
(thats me)

Siuol Jarna: Blackguard
Fren Kross: Druid
Ipsissimossity
Baron
Baron

Post by Ipsissimossity »

1) I love the forge, I think the concept of it is very interesting.
2) Having a very tough 'final boss', making it fun to kill.
3) Avalibility of factions/guilds makes for better roleplay.
4) Loot system.

Dislikes:
1) The general item-setup. Too powerful for my taste. Especially immunities and damage resistance items.
2) Immunities on monsters. Too many monsters can take too much of a beating. Being able to effectively use lower level spells/abilitites on high-leveled monsters, simply because they aren't meant to be all-powerful, makes for more interesting characters and exploring.
3) The general shortcuts. The portal system, the bank system, the boat, and a few other things makes the module too 'easy'. There's something to be said for doing your best to avoid losing a bundle of gold if you get hacked to bits. Not to mention the feeling you get when you know you have to run for 15 minutes in order to get to the shop/boss that just spawned, because there's no 'zapping'.
BrightSpark
Commoner
Commoner
Location: Probably sitting near the famous BSK tree, boring myself to death.

Post by BrightSpark »

Everything i like about BSK certainly has it's bad sides, but BSK is one of the best servers I have ever played on.
The forge- Definitely a brilliant idea, but, as others have mentioned before me, it definitely has it's faults being that you can make your own super-ultra-best weapon/armor/etc.
Easy going- all the portals and such make it so much easier to travel and that's a big '+' !!!!
Easy LVLing- as much as i cannot say i do not like LVLing fast, it is a little weird that a 9 lvl char can easily beat ants due to his socketed armor and etc.

That's it, i think... :roll:
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

Note on supposed "easy leveling":

It is the nature of any player on any server to seek to reach the highest level possible. On BSK, 40th level if the highest level.

Some people think it odd that some people have dozens of 40th level characters. The truth of it is, EVERY server has a leveling curve. This leveling curve ends up with a percentage of players with the highest levels and best gear... and trends to a opposing point that has newbies that do not even have a pocket full of gold.

On BSK, Driller has recognised this fact and taken the option to focus more on the fun and challange and less on keeping the level advancement under strict control. This train of thought allows players the freedom to play many types of characters and builds rather than forcing players to take a year leveling with 10 - 20xp per kill from level 1 to 40.

Enjoy the freedom. Learn the ropes. Have fun and avoid comparing BSK to other modules. BSK is not based on a stereotype... BSK embraces all playerstyles that offer respectful cohabitation with others.

With regards to the powerful items:
BSK is a high magic world. That comes with benefits and drawbacks. Each "magic level" has pros and "cons", but few even try to balance for both PvM and PvP. BSK has done a pretty good job of finding a working balance between PvM and PvP.

To change the High-Magic nature of BSK now would require a complete overhaul of a module that has been around for several years.

Just consider the number of creatures... and the amount of time it would take to alter around 90% of them.
Consider the number of items... and how challanging it would be to alter the loot script and the items already in posession of the PC's.
And then consider the task of rebalancing... each area so that PvM and PvP are still set up with some reasonable comparison.

BSK is the product of years of work. BSK works because of the premise of fun and relaxed limitations amoung an international gathering of people who play in a respectful manner.

We do want suggestions for improvement, but we ask that when suggestions are offered.... those offering ideas take into consideration the nature of the module and the impact of the suggestions offered.

Significant changes to the leveling system or item balance are not practical and would effectivily also change the servers premise.

Hopefully this helps explain why some changes are not likely to be adopted.

Myle
Artist? Writer? Musician?
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
http://www.myspace.com/st_dm_myle
shaggy1971
Baron
Baron
Location: Loooking behind himself making sure Foxy isnt there

Post by shaggy1971 »

I have to say in my 4 years + of playin BSK ive seen many changes take place and some yes were hated at the start but like most veteran players old and new...we adapted to this situation and overcame them.

Gratz Driller for a job well done
I see rivers of blood and....

Hmmmm perhaps a spleen
BrightSpark
Commoner
Commoner
Location: Probably sitting near the famous BSK tree, boring myself to death.

Post by BrightSpark »

Reply to ST_DM_Myle

This thread is really just about likes and dislikes.
I am aware of the fact that not all the ideas are practical and probably most of them will not be taken into account.
All I am saying is that part of the game experience is the leveling process and in BSK it is a little unnatural.
For example: a wizard who is "Fully Equipped" for ants might not get injured at all, but all his spells will not be powerful enough to defeat them because of his relatively low rolls.
I hope you see my point in this, though i do not expect anything to happen with this.

P.S- I just reminded myself of another dislike.
I do not believe it is fair that whoever kills gets double the XP because the mages/clerics/etc. often don't get the finishing blow since they are depended on their magic.

That's it. :D
Long enough? :oops:
BrightSpark.
Dugaru327
Baron
Baron

Post by Dugaru327 »

I haven't been on so long. It seems to have died. Very sad. I liked having to fight to get on. Used to be so popular before Driller took it down and led people to believe it was permanent, then put it back up. Here's to hoping for a recovery!!
oPlayer wrote:Thanks for the countless hours of fun.
Amen
warlock
Count
Count

Post by warlock »

There's no high level drops as someone mentioned.

I personally think that Driller should add back some rare items, with some rare properties. for an example: Death chicken armor.

Driller, changes never kill. - It's worth a shot.
Blackstone Keep Veteran
dreadlord69
Knight
Knight

Post by dreadlord69 »

Yeah.. some unique items brought back would be fun. I havnt done aildrek in a long time so i dont know if his chests drop good unique items again, what i dont like is the fact that i played hours and killed aildrek got the rare items from his chests to then have them stripped by dms or nerfed in drillers upcomin changes.. but i guess you got to live with it. some big lifer bosses like a "DRAGON"!!!!! *nods to driller* would be fun *spits on the weak prismatic dragon*

But yeah i like the poeple most of all is what keeps me going on this server.
I dont like cry babies..
"Or starkson... thats a ic dislike" ..

The keep needs more pubs that sell some beer i like.. Also need a pool table.. and some arcades and maybe a pokies section... you can win forge stoens on the pokies =) at cost of gold... lol would be one long line for that.
-Aussie Made-
-cold killer-