Death Ward

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

viobane
Duke
Duke

Death Ward

Post by viobane »

When I use the Death Ward spell against creatures that cast death spells, it sometimes works, sometimes does not. Any thoughts on why not? In fact, perhaps it doesn't ever work because my character has high saving throws, so maybe it's just rolling 1's?
Caesius
Duke
Duke

Post by Caesius »

Can you identify the spell that killed you? Not all death effects are classified as necromantic death magic. Implosion and Drown effects are an example of this. Technically Power Word Kill and Wierd spells can also bypass Death Ward though they have other limitations.
The only constant is change.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

The mindflayers and the marvale wizard have both gotten through the death ward. Not sure about the shadow demon. Only went after him once.
dm_demitri
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by dm_demitri »

Illithids and Loknar (Marvale Wizard), both use the spell 'Implosion'. Implosion is not classified as 'Death Magic', even tho you will die if you fail your saving throw.

Many have wondered about this, and there's the answer. Implosion CAN kill you, and it does not qualify as Death Magic. Therefore Death Ward will do nothing to prevent the effects from that spell.

*Thinks about wording it in some third way and decides not to* :P

Hope this helps clear up the confusion some! :D
~Demitri
" The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place, but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. " ~Dorthy Nevill
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Ah HA! Stupid implosion *grumbling* How dare they be using such wily tactics!
Zacarias
Duke
Duke
Location: Chesapeake, VA - West of Virginia Beach and South of Norfolk Naval Base.

Post by Zacarias »

Nevertheless, it is good to have Death Magic protection with you when you level up in the mindflyer city. One of their psonic abilities is a death attack, which has an-almost-impossible save.
We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sound of the thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts,
and tore the world asunder.
Elf of Silver
Knight
Knight

Post by Elf of Silver »

The Spell Resist spell that gives an SR of around 43 should make the implosion the Illithids throw bounce off.
Flay
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Flay »

Elf of Silver wrote:The Spell Resist spell that gives an SR of around 43 should make the implosion the Illithids throw bounce off.
That spell gives caster level +12 spell resistance I believe.
Shiek2005
Baron
Baron

Post by Shiek2005 »

I always wondered that when Implosion got me cooked several dozen times on another server, previously i thought DW worked against ALL instant death spells but i guess not.

Although i should point out that it works against the tentacles of death spell someone mentioned in a previous post (srry forgot the name) because on a server i used to play on about 2 years ago had an area where Drow used that spell and everyone (including me) used that spell to bypass the area more safely.
Pretty Fly White Guy
Duke
Duke

Post by Pretty Fly White Guy »

before 1.66, implosion was bugged and was stopped by death magic immunity. Now, the best way is a handy SR spell courtesy of your local neighbourhood cleric.
Berforam
Count
Count

Post by Berforam »

Spell resistance : gives you caster lvl + 12 SR... so a cleric lvl 20 will have 32 SR.

Implosion : evocation spell (not necromancy), creates a strong vortex that sucks everything arround it and destroy it. So its not death magic, it has anything to do with souls removing.

tho implosion can be 100% stopped by high SR or spell mantles. but its DC for PCs chars is up to 48 max and not 45 as most of the spells.

Its the same if compared with the spell named "clarity", it gives you mind SPELL immunity, making you imune to stun, daze, confusion... but note that monks stunnig fists is no SPELL and it will work even on creatures under the protection of "clarity", also on hit something % / rounds will work, because its not a spell, its a weapom property, makes sence having a club that depending on hit will make your enemy dizzy, this is no magic, but a effect.
ValentianNizzle
Duke
Duke

Post by ValentianNizzle »

Elf of Silver wrote:The Spell Resist spell that gives an SR of around 43 should make the implosion the Illithids throw bounce off.
+46 and you won't need to watch yourself down there. Just a thought.
Flay
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Flay »

Berforam wrote:Its the same if compared with the spell named "clarity", it gives you mind SPELL immunity, making you imune to stun, daze, confusion... but note that monks stunnig fists is no SPELL and it will work even on creatures under the protection of "clarity", also on hit something % / rounds will work, because its not a spell, its a weapom property, makes sence having a club that depending on hit will make your enemy dizzy, this is no magic, but a effect.
Crit immunity makes you immune to stunning fist.
Elf of Silver
Knight
Knight

Post by Elf of Silver »

Flay wrote:
Berforam wrote:Its the same if compared with the spell named "clarity", it gives you mind SPELL immunity, making you imune to stun, daze, confusion... but note that monks stunnig fists is no SPELL and it will work even on creatures under the protection of "clarity", also on hit something % / rounds will work, because its not a spell, its a weapom property, makes sence having a club that depending on hit will make your enemy dizzy, this is no magic, but a effect.
Crit immunity makes you immune to stunning fist.
If thats true, its a bug. Nothing about crit immunity has anything to do with the ability to stun an attacker/opponent.
Caesius
Duke
Duke

Post by Caesius »

I don't see why it would be considered a bug for immunity to criticals to prevent stunning fist effects. Both Stunning Fist and critical hits are effects dependant on hitting a vulnerable spot for added effect and neither of them are spell like abilities.

Besides, it even says so in the error ridden manual. (NWN Manual, p97, last 2 lines: "Constructs and Undead are immune to this attack, as are any creatures that are immune to critical hits.") So it seems pretty undoubtedly an intentional limitation rather than a bug.
The only constant is change.