Build Request for a NWN Oldie/Blackstone Newbie

Post your builds here.
cmdisc
Commoner
Commoner

Build Request for a NWN Oldie/Blackstone Newbie

Post by cmdisc »

I'm an old dog with regards to NWN, but am new to Blackstone. I usually play NWN on my own as I am rarely able to commit to a solid block of time where I can sit down uninterrupted. So it becomes difficult to link up with other players for any extended runs.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what types of builds might work on this site for such a playstyle? If any?

I'm not picky as to types of builds. And it's ok if I can't get through most of the endgame content by soloing. Leveling to 40 is typically my goal; although if time allows me, I'm certainly up for joining a group to cover some of the endgame.
All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
Dyndrilliac
Baron
Baron

Re: Build Request for a NWN Oldie/Blackstone Newbie

Post by Dyndrilliac »

I posted a Paladin build not long ago, and not one of those Paladin builds where they dip Paladin just for Divine Might and armor/weapon proficiency then go Bard/RDD, a Paladin build that actually focuses first on Paladin, then Champion of Torm, and is designed to maximize your Smite Evil damage. Virtually all the enemies in the game, save for some NPCs if you are raiding good-aligned areas (like a Temple of Vor for example) are either evil or neutral aligned. So it's basically a 50/50 chance that each new mob type will be vulnerable to Smite Evil. I've solo'd the game up to level 34 with that build on this server, so it is definitely viable. It's not optimal, so if you want some godly min-max build crafted by the cream of the white-room-theory-crafting crop, might want to look elsewhere.

I'm also building a Druid that is going to eventually go into Dragon Shape, but it's still a lowbie and a work in progress.
cmdisc
Commoner
Commoner

Post by cmdisc »

Thank you for that, Dyndrilliac. I read through it and was wondering how it performed on this server. And although focusing on smite is great burst damage does it limit you any? For example, although Dev Crit is changed on this server, would going more Str / less Cha (something like +15/+10 modifiers instead of +10/+15) with the Dev Crit line work out better or worse in the long run between rests?

With more Cha you have better saves, more AC through DS, much higher smites, and DS/DM both last longer AND you get a few more casts of it per rest. The ab on smite is a wash as you're switching out Str for Cha.

With more Str and Dev Crit your saves, AC, smite, and DS/DM durations suffer, but your overall ab and damage are higher outside of smite. I just didn't know if those losses in saves/AC/etc really made a big difference.
Dyndrilliac
Baron
Baron

Post by Dyndrilliac »

I recently respecc'd to Paladin 26 / Sorcerer 1 / RDD 9 (I'm now 36) and did basically exactly what you suggested prioritizing STR over CHA and I did find that the saves/AC/HP were a bit lower (although the AC less so because the innate AC bonus from RDD makes up for it some). It performs better against neutral aligned foes, but less well against evil foes. I do have to say though, that Devastating Critical really does make a big difference when fighting the neutral aligned mobs - each application of Devastating Critical is like a mini Smite, so it is also very effective. I think both builds are equally viable 1-40, and it just depends on what your preferred theme and play-style are. If you go the Smite route, you will need to rest more often to restore Smites and you will need to have a strategy for high-CR neutral mobs.
Yunim
Duke
Duke

Post by Yunim »

The two builds I always recommend for new players are a STR melee build with UMD or a DC Cleric. A DC cleric would probably be best if you're planning to mainly play solo.
Below are a couple of examples, although there are similar builds that perform just as well.

Figh12/WM25/Rog3
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3388

Cler38/Monk1/Wiz1
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3599
cmdisc
Commoner
Commoner

Post by cmdisc »

I looked over your cleric build and it looks intriguing. I've played DC druids before that would use a pet and summons to cover the frontline, but never a cleric. Thanks for the suggestion.

I currently have a bard/bg/rdd parked that I only bring out to play with friends on occasion. But was toying with a few ideas trying to see what might work well enough for solo casual play.