The Departure of the White Stag

Use this forum for In Character Interactions only.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Zacarias
Duke
Duke
Location: Chesapeake, VA - West of Virginia Beach and South of Norfolk Naval Base.

The Departure of the White Stag

Post by Zacarias »

Netherwood. Such an eerie forest, once home to the lost city of Tristen, now home to the Urukai. Wolves prowl the forests, seeking to catch the occasional careless adventurer or stag with fangs that could rip through bark.

Today two Urukai scouts were hunting these very woods for these wolves, which were usually overabundant, but somehow were nowhere to be seen. The younger scout began to get impatient, when the veteran shushed him; something was approaching.

As furtively as the Urukai could, they hid in some bushes, and peered through the branches. They could hear footsteps. Soon they saw a thin figure cloaked and robed in black, and carrying a staff with him. Thoughts of the riches this man carried filled their mind. They gripped their swords, and rushed out at him.

The figure merely glanced up, and suddenly the orcs heard the language of magic being spoken. There were several flashes of light, and after the dust had settled, the Urukai were gone.

Insignificant orcs, Revages thought. They were nothing but an annoyance to him, a pebble in his boot.

His mind went back to his task. He had searched for information of this mysterious creature, and finally he had something that might lead him to it. He pulled out the old letter from his robe, and began to read it over again.

My dear friend,

I can feel it fading, my sacred link with nature that I have held dear all these years. What could cause this? I grope and grope for more, I try to communicate with the animals of this forest that I protect, but their responses have turned into nothing but gibberish to me.

Yesterday a wolf lunged at me. You may laugh at the imagery, a wolf attacking a stag, but it is an experience I would like to, but am not able to, forget. I tried to tell it to stop, that I was a friend, but alas, I had to kill it; otherwise, it may have killed me.

And as my link with nature fades, another power takes its place. But this is darker, perhaps more powerful, but more chaotic....And my blood lusts for it. What is this temptation? This power? Is it...natural? Alas, this power grows in me everyday, darkening my soul. I shall have to call myself Black Stag in the future.

But what frightens me more, however, is how the forest grows darker as I do. These trees I have protected, they're beginning to die. The stags begin to disappear, and the wolves take their place. My heart fills with concern, my eyes with tears. What I have come to love, is dying.

Pray to Lia that things might be peaceful again, like before....Well, I shall not speak of it.

-The White Stag

Revages folded the letter back up and slipped it in his robe. It was here, somewhere. His dwelling would have to be around here. The letter had described a path off the main road which would take him near a cliff wall, and then a small opening to a large cave.

After a while Revages spied a small path leading further into the woods, that would take him near the huge cliffs that towered before him. This looked like it was it.
Zacarias
Duke
Duke
Location: Chesapeake, VA - West of Virginia Beach and South of Norfolk Naval Base.

Post by Zacarias »

Leaves and twigs were crushed under his leather boots. This path was old, but something had kept it protected from the erosion. Revages could sense some sort of magic in this part of the forest. It was weak, but stable. This Lith-Verithos must've known his arcanic magic, Revages thought in the back of his mind.

After a while he reached the end of the path. Revages looked around. There was the cliff face, but where was the opening? Revages said a few magic words, and the foliage around him instantly erupted into fire, then turned to ashes. Ah, the entrance had been hidden by a few bushes.

Revages crouched down to examine this opening. It was about three feet in hight, 4 feet in width. He would have to get on his knees and crawl. Sighing, he spoke another magic word, and his staff was lit up with light. Then, he crawled through the opening.

He had expected a cave, but he had not expected the fine, civilized look of the place. Bookshelves lined the walls. In the center of the room was a brazier, and on one side there was a bed and a desk. The cave had been cut into a perfect cube shape. He certainly didn't sleep like a stag, Revages thought. Standing up, he looked around for what he was seeking. On the desk lay an open book. Revages glanced at the page it was opened to. It appeared to be a journal of some sort. It looked like the page it was opened to was the last entry. Sitting down in the chair next to the desk, he read the last entry.
Zacarias
Duke
Duke

Post by Zacarias »

Date- Ancient attack + 654

I have heard rumors around the Keep, and something is happening. Nobody knows what; some say it is the end of the world; the wrath of the gods. I, however, disagree. I have witnessed first hand the power of the gods, and the powers of the Ancients, to which the gods cannot compare themselves. Indeed, I believe the Ancients will destroy this land, if anything will.

Many people have decided to flee to the lands of Talan'ith. I may join them. My home is dead. I'm not sure if I'm even alive anymore, so it may be nice to start a new life.
Zacarias
Duke
Duke

Post by Zacarias »

Good. Revages thought with satisfaction. His eyes went back to the line, "I have witnessed first hand the power of the Ancients...." This text was going to be of value to him.

He glanced around at the bookshelves. Those volumes might hold some sort of information as well. Quite the library he had held. Revages fingered through the pages of the journel. Not many of them were filled, it seemed. It'll be no use backtracking, Revages thought. He turned to the first page, and began to read about the life of the White Stag.
Zacarias
Duke
Duke

Post by Zacarias »

A long time ago, during a winter night, a man stumbled through the portal, gasping for breath and coughing up blood. He was robed, and had his hood up. In his arms, he held an infant. With all of his strength, he crawled over to a lady in the street and told her, "Don't let them take him," as soon as he said this, he died. As soon as the lady picked up the infant, the man's body erupted into flame. Throughout the night the body burned, leaving nothing but ash in the morning.

The woman cared for the child, but as he grew she noticed something wasn't right about him. She saw his hooves, and small bumbs on his head. The children ridiculed him, and even the city guard laughed at him. At the age of 10, he was thrown out onto the streets.

He didn't last long out there. Within a year he left the city and chose to live in the wilderness, where he developed a special bond with nature, and nature became his mother. The wilderness granted him protection from the outside world as his heritage transformed himself. The bumps on his head grew into horns, and his legs became that of a stag. His skin was a pale white. He likened himself to the white stag that lived in the forest during the winter time, and so, he called himself White Stag.

But the nature couldn't lock away his curiousity, and soon he found himself wanting to be a part of civilization. And so, he went to Blackstone Keep.
Zacarias
Duke
Duke

Post by Zacarias »

The White Stag became involved in some conflicts during his time at Blackstone. He was one of the many adventurers working to rid the world of the demon Xanthurous, whose name seems to be forgotten in Blackstone Keep, despite all the trouble and chaos he created. // OOC: Myle, you should really do something like that again, I really enjoyed the few events I was able to be there for. It'd also be interesting for you to tell the story of Xanthurous and Celantar. I know I'd read it.

Yet, the residents of the Keep were able to banish Xanthurous back to his home plane--at least for a time. For a while the Keep seemed peaceful enough, but soon another threat took its place; the Ancients were coming.

Revages stopped where he was, and folded the corner of the page. He had to take note of this page. The next entry held informative information, that could be useful to him in the future.

Today I was sitting by the Great Oak, as I do so many times, when Lomeldur asked if I would like to join a meeting about the Ancients. The object of this meeting was to share knowledge about them. I, personally, have heard nothing but rumors about these Ancients, and I wanted to hear about them myself. So I joined him, and about 12 others, and we used a house in the Hamlet to conduct our meeting.

It seems the Ancients are beings made up entirely of energy, and they will be coming to destroy the world soon. This worries me. What is worse, they have imprisoned the gods within the "Soul Cage". Such beings must be truly powerful to have done this. But then again, they have created the world, evidence of that lies around us. Just look at the mystic forge.

Unfortunately, it did not seem like much was done during the meeting. People grew worried, and created more problems than solutions. Alas, if these are the people who will work beside me to save this world, we are doomed.
Zacarias
Duke
Duke

Post by Zacarias »

Revages stopped for reading the next entry. Where had he heard that name before? Lomeldur. He had obviously been a wizard of great power in the past, but what fate had fallen upon him? Indeed, he had come to look for answers but now he had so many more questions. Nevertheless, he glanced down at the next entry.

I have heard rumors that, in order to free the gods, the Ancients require a sacrifice. Lia has cared for me since my childhood, so today I told Lomeldur that I would be willing to sacrifice myself. Much to my disappointment, he pointed out that it was just a rumor. Even if it had been proven as fact, they (The Starkson. They are very much in-charge of this Ancient resistance) didn't know what the Ancients wanted. I sighed and walked away mournfully.

Revages wondered why this White Stag had been so eager to give up his life for a god. Why would you worship a god if there are beings who can imprison that god? Isn't the reason people worship gods is for protection, insurance, and power? Revages didn't know, he had always looked at the gods with contempt.

When he had first heard that Jonathas had joined the Vorites, Revages almost killed him. He wanted to, very much. He had felt betrayed. But he had other things to worry about. A battle with Jonathas would leave him in a weak state--if he won-- and would leave him vulnerable to....Well, he didn't want to think about him. He would defeat him.

Today I was asked by somebody if I was a martyr. I replied no, and thought to myself that if I was a martyr, I wouldn't be alive. But the question made me think; Why do I try so hard to die? Has my life really been that bad?

No, my life hasn't been lacking of anything. In fact, I feel it has been more fulfilled. But I feel as though I have been blessed with so many things, and that by dying for a greater cause, I can give something back to everybody. So I guess in a way I am a martyr. I guess that, deep inside of us, everyone has some sort of martyrdom in them, for some sort of cause.

I can feel the Ancients coming. I feel the earth and trees tremble with fear, I feel the clouds flying away. I feel the wind fleeing from them, and I feel as though each day grows shorter. The time is near; our fate will be decided soon.
Zacarias
Duke
Duke

Post by Zacarias »

Revages turned the page eagerly. The next entry could hold much information. But there would be time for that. There was some firewood next to a fire place on one side of the room. The firewood was old and rotting, but Revages was not about to do any manual labor. He put the firewood in there, and then he cast a spell quietly. A flaming arrow shot out from his hand, and ignited the wood. The fire having been made, he went back over to the table to read the next entry.

Today the residents of Blackstone were abuzz with activity when word arrived that there were certain crystals throughout Blackstone that would free our gods. I searched for them, but found none of them. Luckily, other adventurers fared better. In all, we had four crystals; one for Eon, one for Vor, one for Lia, and one for Kazra.

Not knowing what to do after that, we put the crystals together and prayed. After praying, everyone stood up, not knowing what to expect. I saw someone in front of me look behind me and scream, and the next thing I knew, I was dead.

I don't know how to describe the feeling of that attack. In one split-second energy, electrcity, fire, ice, and every other element in the universe crashed into me. It was like an explosion, but I did not blow up. I didn't even have time to feel the pain.

Platina was able to ressurect me. Unfortunately, one man was not so fortunate. As Platina helped me up, I saw another cleric of some sort casting raise dead spells and ressurection spells. But the body of the man would not budge. Alas, the Ancients had claimed their sacrifice. What had become of this man's soul? Had it been taken away by the Ancients, or had it been devoured?

The man's name was Lan Mandragon. Why had the Ancients chosen him, and not me?

Platina later described the incident to me. The Ancient had entered the world just behind me, trying to stop the ceremony that was taken place. It killed me first, then it went on the kill a few other people, and then it took Lan Mandragon's life. Then the Ancient dissapeared.

Platina believes that the gods are free, but I am not so sure. I cannot feel Lia's presence around me, so I question what Lan's death really was. Was it a sacrifice, or just a casualty of war?
Jazelle
Duke
Duke

Post by Jazelle »

// Just a small note for you. Some of the post about the Awakening DM rp were lost when Driller changed from Bioware's forums to theses. If Myle or I could get access to the closed forums there we could gleem those stories and more. It seems that Bioware does not allow the Yahoo system to save web pages so we can't recover those. BUT both Myle and I have recovered all the post that were on the Wastelands.org forums covering that story.

There is in the works, when we have time to use all the logs to make a series of books from the RP. There are huge logs that have to be weeded through and right now I have 7 cds full of them. Yes they are from Lome and Orty's point of view can't help that since I was recording them.

I will when I get time be reposting all the postings on a web page for everyone to read. I was going to repost them here but there were problems. Give me a week or two and I will have as many as has been recovered posted. Right now I have well over 25 pages of the older stories. If any would like to add their views please send their story to me and I'll add it in. -Jaz
The world is a strange place.
Zacarias
Duke
Duke

Post by Zacarias »

Revages gazed into the fire. They must be truly powerful beings... Revages thought. How could one defeat such a being? How could one even hope to defeat one?

...Energy, electrcity, fire, ice, and every other element in the universe crashed into me. It was like an explosion....I didn't even have time to feel the pain... Revages' mind went back to these words. And it had only been one swipe.

Revages flipped through the other entries, until he found another one that seemed to have something he was looking for.

I have taken up residence in the forest again; I am trying to reconnect my link with nature. As I said before, something has severed it. I believe it has something to do with the attack on me by the Ancient. On that day, the gods were free, but I haven't felt my god's presence. Alas, I have discarded my name; I am no longer the White Stag. Another name has been given to me, a name that my blood has chosen for me. I am Lith-Verithos; and though I have no idea what it means, it seems to fit me. Time moves on, and the world changes. I know I have.
Zacarias
Duke
Duke

Post by Zacarias »

The rest of the entries seemed unimportant. But it seemed that a power had been born in the tiefling, and he did not know what to do with it. Over time the power had grown and grown. But as to his disappearance; after he had written the last entry, who knows what had happened?

Revages closed the diary. On the cover, he noticed, was a White Stag running in a field. Revages then looked around at the bookshelves. He did not feel like reading much more today, he would come back for these at a later date.

He stood up and used his rune stone to mark the room. This wasn't the last time he would see this place. He rumaged through his pack, and after finding his Book of Town Portal, opened a portal. He took one last glance around, and was about to step through, when suddenly the diary flipped opened.

Revages stopped. What had just happened? He moved to the desk where the diary lay, and looked at the page. It was a new entry. Looking through it all, he saw that they were all new entries. This was certainly curious. Taking his seat again, he read the first of the new entries.
Zacarias
Duke
Duke

Post by Zacarias »

Much has changed since I last wrote. My antlers have fallen off; only stumps protrude from my head now. I have sprouted some sort of wings; perhaps it is my tiefling heritage? Whatever it is, it is taking over. Fire burns in my heart. I do not know why; it is simply there. My mood seems to darken with every passing day. And the flame...it calls to me.

Such are the ramblings of a mad man. But am I truly a mad
man?

I decided to join many of the inhabitants of the Keep to the Lands of Talan'ith. I have heard stories of the vastness of the land, and I hope to find my place there.