Server future enquiry.

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.
Garrett
Count
Count

Re: Server future enquiry.

Post by Garrett »

My personal thoughts after 6 months of playing.

I like it a lot! Adding more random events would make things even more cool.

*For example a rare items merchant caravan going through the realm for limited time on random locations.

*Call to Arms random event. A PvM event where player or group of players defend a specific part of realm for some time to get good loot rewards( Sorta "defend the array" style from Dawn of War 2)

* Make end boss mechanics more dodgy. I noticed that killing for example Witch or Ancient Dragon in kazra temple is somehow exploitable and not fun at all.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

I have a random caravan guy you can encounter in the Waste. I can expand that to new locations.

I had thought about this. Kind of like Warframe defense missions, where you get rewards after each wave. Got sidetracked though.
Also, a CTF event that was brought up before.

I removed the stairs, if that is what you are talking about.
The only other I know of is the cheap blade mechanic, I will probably add a small chance to banish it

Garrett wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:59 am My personal thoughts after 6 months of playing.

I like it a lot! Adding more random events would make things even more cool.

*For example a rare items merchant caravan going through the realm for limited time on random locations.

*Call to Arms random event. A PvM event where player or group of players defend a specific part of realm for some time to get good loot rewards( Sorta "defend the array" style from Dawn of War 2)

* Make end boss mechanics more dodgy. I noticed that killing for example Witch or Ancient Dragon in kazra temple is somehow exploitable and not fun at all.
itchyfunk
Baron
Baron

Post by itchyfunk »

driller wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:17 am What is the issue with +20?
This is one guy's opinion and I want to preface it with: I really enjoy the server and think it's overwhelmingly a great place for a number of reasons. Thank you.

I think the issue with +20AB weapons is simply the game engine's hard-cap. Basically what it means is most build combinations become discounted as soon as you are able to forge a weapon. Take bard for example: you have a song that can reasonably give +2AB and still leave you plenty of room to multi-class, and a spell that can give +2AB (battle cry) but both of those are useless with a +20 weapon because, while your character sheet shows the bonus, you don't actually get the bonus.
Clerics have spells that would boost AB but same. Then if you had a build that might say, leverage True Strike... also meaningless (but more so because of readily available immunities/high-magic/high-saves prevalent on the server since True Strike is such a short duration spell.

(Related but off-top, those [immunities etc] tend to make people ignore skills differentiation. e.g. Discipline is probably ignored by most because they don't have to worry about being KD'd... except Sway... he has to worry about it :twisted: ).

But to generalize: being able to hit the hard-cap with an item negates the benefit of class abilities and in that way takes away from build differentiation. Leaving a "little room" at the top would encourage alternative builds to the fairly standard WM and AA variants we tend to see.
Active Toons:
- Itchy Smurf
- Isioviel Aerendyl
- Eima Glaskanone
- Forgee et (Minot)
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

In the past, I took out all immunities and made players rely on saves. Which actually what I prefer.
I also had hardcore rules(mobs do crits). Fail on 1 etc...

When I converted to EE, I went for a more casual experience. But, I am not against changing it to be more difficult.

As for the AB. Wouldn't players then create specific builds that give them the highest AB without +20?
Things really wouldn't change much would they? It would just be trading a set of classes for another right?

If players ignore discipline, make an improved disarm build. They can be pretty devastating in PvP.

Since BSK is primarily a PvE server, I am more inclined to lower AC on the mobs if anything.
itchyfunk wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:34 pm
driller wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:17 am What is the issue with +20?
This is one guy's opinion and I want to preface it with: I really enjoy the server and think it's overwhelmingly a great place for a number of reasons. Thank you.

I think the issue with +20AB weapons is simply the game engine's hard-cap. Basically what it means is most build combinations become discounted as soon as you are able to forge a weapon. Take bard for example: you have a song that can reasonably give +2AB and still leave you plenty of room to multi-class, and a spell that can give +2AB (battle cry) but both of those are useless with a +20 weapon because, while your character sheet shows the bonus, you don't actually get the bonus.
Clerics have spells that would boost AB but same. Then if you had a build that might say, leverage True Strike... also meaningless (but more so because of readily available immunities/high-magic/high-saves prevalent on the server since True Strike is such a short duration spell.

(Related but off-top, those [immunities etc] tend to make people ignore skills differentiation. e.g. Discipline is probably ignored by most because they don't have to worry about being KD'd... except Sway... he has to worry about it :twisted: ).

But to generalize: being able to hit the hard-cap with an item negates the benefit of class abilities and in that way takes away from build differentiation. Leaving a "little room" at the top would encourage alternative builds to the fairly standard WM and AA variants we tend to see.
itchyfunk
Baron
Baron

Post by itchyfunk »

It's a fair point. There will always probably be an "optimal" build no matter the configuration.
Active Toons:
- Itchy Smurf
- Isioviel Aerendyl
- Eima Glaskanone
- Forgee et (Minot)
Savagefool
Knight
Knight

Post by Savagefool »

I kind of agree, I mean people would make builds with the highest ab but I don’t think it would be at the extreme level it is at now. My point for bringing it up was just balance across the board where possible, I think it’s more fun when you can actually play most builds and they are kind of viable. The +20 opens maybe.. two builds. Shifters with decent ab and rogues with melee level attack base. Both of which are welcome changes. But destroys most of the others.

The crafting is also super easy to conquer.

If they had restrictions to the classes that are unused/nerfed because of the current status quo or the hard cap was removed through nwnx or something it would be less Spikey. I would suggest getting some new tools in to change some of the hard coded things. I’d love to see new shapes or shape changes, or custom elements.

Loving the suggestions on events and areas!

Another could be a random daily/monthly quest type system:
Kill x amount of y
Collect x amount of y

Maybe for balance I was thinking.. what about some abilities to barbarian or harper scout or something that parties need at 40? Perhaps there’s a knockback from certain mobs that is in effect if a barbarian isn’t effecting that mob with his rage aura, or harper scouts ability adds vulnerabilities to a Draco Lich, etc etc.

More reasons to play at 40 and more balance to some other classes and I would explode ahah!

Also, I reiterate what itchy said; this server is amazing, it might seem like I’m picking at stuff but in all honesty if nothing changes I’ll still play and love playing here. Thanks for all you do driller and co.
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

driller wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:03 pm ...

Since BSK is primarily a PvE server, I am more inclined to lower AC on the mobs if anything.
Yes please, this will also make other builds than the usual viable. Especially if you drop the AC on some bosses you need to complete quests. *cough* blood cult *cough, cough*
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

I will go ahead an do that. If you can, give me a list of the worst offenders and I will get them first.
Cornflower wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:22 am

Yes please, this will also make other builds than the usual viable. Especially if you drop the AC on some bosses you need to complete quests. *cough* blood cult *cough, cough*
Caylin
Knight
Knight

Post by Caylin »

Blood cult and Witch for starters.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Try now.
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

driller wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:37 pm I will go ahead an do that. If you can, give me a list of the worst offenders and I will get them first.
Cornflower wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:22 am

I think the important thing is the quest areas, so Blood Cult is the most obvious.
I'll go test as soon as I have a chance.
Thank you!
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

driller wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:57 pmTry now.
Well. I tried both with my fully equipped tank (DD with extra everything) and my fully equipped WM. Can't say I saw much difference, still couldn't get through. Now, bear in mind I haven't played for a few months and I'm beyond rusty. I think someone else needs to test and give you a verdict.
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

What's your AB?
Cornflower wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:39 am
Well. I tried both with my fully equipped tank (DD with extra everything) and my fully equipped WM. Can't say I saw much difference, still couldn't get through. Now, bear in mind I haven't played for a few months and I'm beyond rusty. I think someone else needs to test and give you a verdict.
Yunim
Duke
Duke

Post by Yunim »

I just tried Bloodcult with my WM and it seems like Tar's AC has been lowered from 86 to 68. I only tried once though so I might be wrong on the exact value.
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

driller wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:01 am What's your AB?
WM has (fully buffed): AB 77, AC 67
Tank has (fully buffed): AB 67, AC 67 and lots of resistance (DD26).

Note that I could hit the mobs and the first mini-boss (forget his name, he's in the entry room), just couldn't survive. Never got to the Big Boss....
Again, rusty....
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)