Something is stirring...

Use this forum for In Character Interactions only.
DM Shimmer
Baron
Baron

Something is stirring...

Post by DM Shimmer »

**looks over the lands surrounding Blackstone Keep a deep furrow appearing in her brow and mutters softly to herself** "This can not be good" **Taking a long slow breath inwards, she exhales slowly almost whispering the following**

"No good will come of this...evil can not get a foothold in world. There must be Hero's who will take up the challenge... we must find them before its too late"

//This is not a single event, but an ongoing change to the way things will be. Anyone may join the Role Play both here and on the server... whether you find the changes by responding here or by discovering something on the server...
Furious_ddd
Commoner
Commoner

Re: Something is stirring...

Post by Furious_ddd »

The sun was just setting when Hendrick entered the Waltzing weasel. His bones creaked, his muscles acked but no more than any day. He liked it that way, felt like you mattered, like you had done something even if he had nothing to show for it. It had been weeks, and the crops hadn't sprouted.

As Hendrick entered, he made his way straight to the bar. The light of the setting sun elongating his shadow, darkening his way forward. Balsm was there, as always, head down wiping down the rail. Infront of an empty stool sat three shot glasses. Hendrick took his place at the stool, silently sitting as Balsam lumbered over. A beast of a man, his shoulders alone would tell you he didnt used to own a tavern.

Hendrick looked up as Balsam stood looming over him. Each man grabed a shot, the third sitting silently between them.
"He was a horses ass" Balasm said.
"But he saved these donkies" Hendrick responded.
Rasing the glasses, Hendrick and Balsam paused a moment before throwing back the shots then slamming the empties down on the bar. The combined force casuing the third glass to spill its contents over the bar.

Hendrick moved over a seat, Balsam wipped down the bar and ritual complete Hendrick allowed himself to take in the tavern for the firat time since entering the bar.

The tavern was crowded, it was always busy at the end of the day when the regular crowd shuffled in, but this was different. They came to look and whisper. They tired to be sly, but their intentions were as clear as the daggers their eyes shot to the corner of the bar. Hendrick didnt look. He knew Israck would be there.

"When did he get here" Hendrick asked, as he surveyed the bar.
"All day"
"You should get your brother in law out of here"
Balasm looks over "It is ts safer that he is here, keep an eye on him. Dont trust what he might do"

It had been 3 weeks since Israck was found in the fields screaming, 2 weeks since he stopped talking about the voices and visions, 1 week since he made the Weasel his new home.

The towns folk come to look and speak in hushed whispers about the town crazy. The town gossips, awalys has, not much to do. People talk, but very few listen. Hendrick listens.

"Balsam, did you hear about the Yalerk farm"
"Rumor has it the cows milk gone sour"
"And Jareds plot?"
"Wheat is growing higher than ever, but has some rot in the lot of it. Spoils once its sent to market".

Hendrick nods in Isracks direction. "The boy may be right. Something is happening out there"
Balsam dismissively chuckles " You were always dour, this is just a bad season. Happens every few years"

"Balsam, look around. The river has crested the bank 3 times this year and the fields are dry as bone. Food is spoiling quicker than it can be harvested. Did you hear about Cedricks ratter? It got chased from the barn after choking on rat tails. Too much happning at once".

Balsam turns back and slids a drink towards Hendrick which he easily catches before it slide off the edge.

" I get it. Stop overthinking, but its still strange. Maybe its just the season and its gonna be rough for everyone. What if its more? I tilled the soil today. It was like ash, never been that way. Smells sour, reminds me of the fields out east"

"We dont talk about that"

"Im just saying the so..

Balsam smash a glass down on the bar silencing the room. After a few moments the general mumor of the crowd returns as a very audible thud is heard from the corner of the room. A glass falls from Isracks hand as his head hits the table. His whole body slumping over.

Hendrick eyes balsam "Thought you were keeping an eye on him"

"I am, been feeding him water for the past hour. Will get the boys to carry him home after he naps a bit"

Another loud bang is heard as Balsams eyes go wide in concern. Hendrick turns quickly and has just enough time to see Israck staighetn up and smash his head down against the table yet again. The loud bang the sound of bone meeting wood.
As Hendrick moves to rise, Balsam has already cleared the bar and is moving faster than a man his size has any right to do. Balsam lunges at Israck knocking him from the table, rolling on top of the boy and wrapping him in his arms.

Hendrick slids over to the two, drops to his knees to inspect the boy. Isracks eyes flash open, revealing two pools as black as night, as guttural sounds erupt from the boy. The sounds unintelligible, but a clear cadence to them. The pools turn towards hendrick and in his head he hears "Prepare the coming".

Israck blinks, the pools of black receeding. A large gasp as is he hadnt breathed for minutes. His chest rising as if his whole body was trying to leave the floor, he slumps back down still in Balsams arams.

Rocking Israck back and forth in his arms, Balsam finally spoke. "Go contact Hanfur
Hendrik replies "the donkies need him"

Quietly beathing, eyes closed, the three of them sat in the silence of the empty bar.
Hafur Merhein - dwarven cleric
Furious_ddd
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Furious_ddd »

Growl Growl

"You do make a good point, but the answer is still no"

Growls Roar Roar.

"We have been through this before. The gold can be better served to those without means. You my friend don't even have a stomach."

A very healthy dire bear gives Hanfur an incredulous loo, tilting its head to the side. A very slight whimper emanates from the Bears Direction

"Okay Yogi, when we get back to town I'll see what I can do. Where does it go anyways?. Praise be to Lia I never discover what happens to the food that goes in the one end. I have no need for Treasures of years past"

As Hafur turns away from his dear companion to continue his journey back to the keep, over his left shoulder a slight rumble is heard and dirt hit against his back. Hanfur turns around and sees the ground open up in a swell of sand and rock as the ground erupts and a pillar 30 feet high rises from the depths. The the monolith erect infront of Hanfur casting a shadow in all directions at once as if its mere presence was enough to fight back the warmth of the Sun. Inscribed along each face of this monolith were runes that Hanafur could not decipher or recognize. Not that he had much time to do so for within mere moments deep within the core of his very presence he felt an Evil.

Without warning just as the Earth has given birth to this spire of evil so too did the darkness. The shadows gave birth to creatures whole sole purpose was to destroy and ruin. Slowly seeping from the darkness these creatures formed. Giving no more than a moment's thought he sprinted forward mace in hand and shield raised.

Hanfur met an incoming blow with the strength of his shield pushing that aside quickly and spinning to dodge yet another attack. Swinging his mace around taking out the legs one of his enemies, his momentum causing spin continue he brought his mace around raising it up to meet the face of one of these creatures. The satisfying sound of metal on crushing bone as a lifeless corpse hits the ground.

The corpse's tripped comrade rose back up and raised its weapon to strike Hanfur. The only thing his weapon met was the full force of a surging a dire bear.

Surveying the area Nanfur approached the monolith It began to throb almost resonating as more creatures were born from the darkness. As Hanfur readied his weapon suddenly searing pain shot through his body, back arched, weapon Frozen in mid-air. He screamed he could not move, his eyes turning into pools black darkness.

He was running but where was he. Surrounded in darkness. He had people with him but didn't know who they were or where they were going. They needed to get away. Screams. Screech. Growl GROWL. The smell of blood, the smell of death. The smell of hot breath on the back of his neck as he is hit from behind

Hanfur lying on the ground looks up through blurry water eyes is able to make out the image of a creature looming over him, just as a creature is about to smash Hanfurs very own mace into his face.
"Well this is going to be pleasant".

That exact moment a large shadow Knocks the assailant away and searing pain floods Hanfurs body

A bright white light emanating from the flower erupting filling the room. Petals slowly unfurling, slowly dying, decaying and falling off one by one. As each of the petals touch the ground, a small pool of Blackness forms slowly. It expands, creeping out words consuming everything it touches leaving nothing but death in its wake. Light disappears. Only Darkness remains. Screams screams screams.

Hanfur gasps, suddenly jolted back to this realm. Laying on the ground covered in sweat and filth he slowly tries to make his way up, aching and in pain from the onslaught that just occurred. He knows he needs to rise for any moment could be his last. Searching frantically for his weapon he hears nothing. He surveys the area. All is calm. It appears the time for conflict has ended.

Hanfur makes his way over to Yogi who's lazily sitting on the ground. He had no idea how much time had past, but seeing the partial corpses, it seems that Yogi could not wait to get back to the keep. Yogi had done quite a job preparing his own meal.

Hanfur pat's Yogi on the back then gently sits down and leans up against him. Breathing deeply and closing his eyes to rest Hanfur whisper

"I guess we can save that coin for someone else. Enjoy your meal Yogi for I fear we will both need our energy very soon"
Hafur Merhein - dwarven cleric
Lilia
Baron
Baron

Post by Lilia »

*woken from a restless sleep with a start, her feet hitting the floor in an instant. Holding her breath, wonders if the sound she heard was in her dream ... or real...Petting the cat which has risen to its feet and ventured to the edge of the bed*

"I must be hearing things Muffin... for some reason I have a sense of a looming evil."

*the cat purrs loudly making her give up her ear straining...*

"Come on then.. I guess you will be wanting some warm milk... *sliding her feet into some warm scuff's she venture's to the kitchen pulling the damper on the range, the embers quickly jumping to flames. Checking there is ample water in the kettle, she draws a small pot from the shelf above the range, uses the ladle to scoop some milk from the milk can into the pot... returning to the range set's the pot on to warm. The cat circling her legs impatiently as the milk warms...opening the small door on the front of the range she pushes more wood into the flames with the poker before shutting the door again.*

"Here you go missy..." lifting the pot and bending to pour the warmed milk into the cats bowl on the hearth...just as she sets the pot back onto the range to warm more a bang in the distance is heard*

*moving to the window, she draws the drape aside and pears into the darkness.. speaking softly to herself..*

"Something is definitely wrong in the lands around us... We need to be ready for whatever is coming, and it is not going to be good. I just hope the neighbours and villagers are readying themselves for there is sure to be unrest... with a soft sigh she releases the drape to once again cover the window.. returning to the ranges she tips warm milk into a mug then sits to warm herself...her ears still straining for any sound*
DM Shimmer
Baron
Baron

Post by DM Shimmer »

<<posted on behalf of one who wishes to remain anonymous>>

*releases laughter which rings of mirth and satisfaction*

“I knew that coming in a small number at first would go unnoticed.. they are so very gullible.”

*Drinks deeply from a goblet, quenching her thirst*

“Let us tread carefully a while longer, so that others might arrive unnoticed”

*checks the timepiece and goes for a stroll*
DM Shimmer
Baron
Baron

Post by DM Shimmer »

**A lone adventurer traveling in the night, lays the killing blow on Snort in Mirkwood. As he/she reaches for the prize a presence is felt behind them. Before they are able to turn to see what it is they are knocked unconscious... in their dazed and dream like state, visions come and go, but they can not fully render a reason behind such visions. A short time later they awaken cold and hungry. Stumbling around they seek shelter from the rain and cold in a nearby cave...Before falling into a fitful sleep they are sure what they hear is an almost song like laughter**
DM Shimmer
Baron
Baron

Post by DM Shimmer »

....Blackstone Keep Harbor on a night during one of those thunderstorm that Blackstone is infamous for.

In the darkness of the harbor, only illuminated by the flashes of lightning, stands a little girl taking refuge against the driving wind by some stacked crates....Maybe one of those unfortunate, depraved kids we see around all the time.

...The child, motionless just standing there, looking out over the waves crashing.

But someone seems to have noticed the girl... A man clad in black, almost invisible in the darkness, walks toward the girl, the rain doesn't seem to touch him nor does being in darkness seem to impair his footsteps.

Releasing a soft cough as to get noticed by her as he comes closer then stops a short distance away.

"Good night little Missy, and what would a little princess like you be doing outside at this time of night and during this foul weather and .. alone?"

Showing a lot of courage for someone her size, she lift her chin up..."Sir, you didn't scare me...Daddy, I'm waiting for daddy's boat, one of those big fishing boat."

Looking at her face, he could see it was just a facade and that she was truly afraid at the presence of this stranger.

"That boat you are waiting for.... it won't be back before the end of the week, and with this weather, I would take you back home safely, heh? I'm sure your mommy is worried sick at your absence too."

....Holding one of his hand toward her and looking directly at her. "Come on, I'll take you back now before you get sick."

The little girl takes a sudden step forward and places her tiny hand into the man's.

"Oh your hand Sir, it's so cold."

"Well, hold on to it with all your strength, I'm sure warm will come back to it. Now, where is home, show me, would you."

Pointing with her small free hand toward a street.

"That way Sir, mommy will prepare something hot for us, I'm sure she won't mind."

... at this moment, if the girl had only looked for a split second at the man face, maybe she would have noticed a thin cold smile of extreme satisfaction and some brief glow in his eyes.... Or maybe it was just the rain, the lightning flashes and the shadows playing some tricks..
DM Shimmer
Baron
Baron

Post by DM Shimmer »

...The unrest across the land is slowing shedding light on what is to come...

Families are losing loved ones, strangers bodies are being found in a very suspicious state, demons spawns are now a regular occurrence...

"Watch your back's everyone, you may become the hunted..." "or will you be strong enough to hunt?"
Lilia
Baron
Baron

Post by Lilia »

**take a stroll in the early evening, enjoying the warm summer breeze and the few stars which have shown themselves...

.. stopping short of stepping into something which looks like ash, she crouches down to examine the remains, noting small fragments of bones... as she rises to her full height once again something else catches her eye...a body... lifeless, pale.

An obvious explanation shows itself... "this looks like a feeding ground for....."

... a sense of dread filling her she rushes back to town to warn others...