Electrifier

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Electrifier

Post by driller »

I am thinking of limiting the Electrifier to 10 charges, it has been the source of some of the nerfs because if it's ability to overcharge items.

This would allow me to control items that can be charged without having to nerf them because of abuse.

Thoughts?
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Re: Electrifier

Post by Cornflower »

driller wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:14 am I am thinking of limiting the Electrifier to 10 charges, it has been the source of some of the nerfs because if it's ability to overcharge items.

This would allow me to control items that can be charged without having to nerf them because of abuse.

Thoughts?
When my mage (mid-30) creates a wand, it gets around 50ish charges. Perhaps that would be a reasonable limit? 10 sounds a bit smallish. I don't know.
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
Sorcy Sid
Count
Count

Post by Sorcy Sid »

Split the difference. Make it 25.

Cornflower wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:29 am
driller wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:14 am I am thinking of limiting the Electrifier to 10 charges, it has been the source of some of the nerfs because if it's ability to overcharge items.

Thoughts?
When my mage (mid-30) creates a wand, it gets around 50ish charges. Perhaps that would be a reasonable limit? 10 sounds a bit smallish. I don't know.
Sid-Archer
Sid'darth
Sid 10
Sid, Sid, and more Sid.
Acct names Sid & SidII
run4life
Commoner
Commoner

Post by run4life »

Driller, You mean, that Electrifier will have 10 charges and will vanish after that?

Since there is a problem with buying one, it will become even worse problem..... maybe You could limit it per 10 charges and add to loot drop instead?
Sorcy Sid
Count
Count

Post by Sorcy Sid »

driller wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:14 am This would allow me to control items that can be charged without having to nerf them because of abuse.

Thoughts?
I like this idea since it doesn't make the items behave differently than expected.
Sid-Archer
Sid'darth
Sid 10
Sid, Sid, and more Sid.
Acct names Sid & SidII
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

I was looking at the number of charges an item can hold. But really, the whole concept of recharging an item leads to imbalance.

Even if I limit it to 10, it will still lead to players carrying 1000 rings of heal with 10 charges each.
run4life wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:30 am Driller, You mean, that Electrifier will have 10 charges and will vanish after that?

Since there is a problem with buying one, it will become even worse problem..... maybe You could limit it per 10 charges and add to loot drop instead?
run4life
Commoner
Commoner

Post by run4life »

driller wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:44 am I was looking at the number of charges an item can hold. But really, the whole concept of recharging an item leads to imbalance.

Even if I limit it to 10, it will still lead to players carrying 1000 rings of heal with 10 charges each.
run4life wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:30 am Driller, You mean, that Electrifier will have 10 charges and will vanish after that?

Or just charge over and over one item during the fight.... it will be just a bit unhandy in certain situations, but still infinite.

What if Ya make Electrifier disappear after few uses? We would have to think what and how we charge?

But leaving one per reboot to buy might cause Underdark riot ;P
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

In that case, I would need to make it a free for all area like Blackrose. *laughs*
run4life
Commoner
Commoner

Post by run4life »

driller wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:01 am In that case, I would need to make it a free for all area like Blackrose. *laughs*
Now its official, Driller is Chaotic Evil xD
Sway
Count
Count

Post by Sway »

driller wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:44 am I was looking at the number of charges an item can hold. But really, the whole concept of recharging an item leads to imbalance.

Make new Forge Stones that recharges items by 1, 5 or 10. Depending on the rarity(the rarer the stone the more the charge). The fact that you can buy it for cheap may be the issue.
Ingame Names:
iForge
Swae
Swai

One of the leaders of Legion of Terror
Yunim
Duke
Duke

Post by Yunim »

Will the Rod of Resurrection remain at 5 Charges/Use after this nerf? Having 2 uses before destruction will make it useless.

For wands it isn't as bad since it just means that everybody will need to carry one or two extra bags full of wands. Annoying, but not game changing.

Other than the rod or wands, the only Charge/Use items I've seen are random loot (and even then I haven't seen many that are actually useful due to their random nature).

Honestly I don't really see how the current charge cap of 250 is unbalanced considering the recent items nerfs.
The Flying Rodent
Count
Count

Post by The Flying Rodent »

driller wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:01 am In that case, I would need to make it a free for all area like Blackrose. *laughs*
Give a stack of 10 Time Stop scrolls per reset to each of the merchants in that area whilst you're at it, I'm sure that'll spice things up. :P

I'm scratching my head a bit as to why the Electrifier needs a nerf as well. The Ring of Nine Lives has since been modified to be uses per day, not charges per use, and that was probably the most abusable item of the ones that could be recharged.

Mainly the electrifier is used for Crafted Wands and the Rod of Resurrection as far as I can gather. I suppose limiting the charges to 10 will at least make crafted wands [max 50 charges] more attractive to craft [instead of just making 1 of each for a particular character and forever having them charged], but items with more than 1 charge/use, like the Rod, will basically become throwaway items [or conversely, hoarded to the point where people instead try and have 10+ resurrection rods with 1 charge each per fight, rather than 1 rod with up to 50 charges].

If Res rods are indeed the intended target in order to further encourage people to use Clerics or Divine Magic Item crafters [who in addition to making more Crafted Wands will most likely have to make Resurrection Scrolls as well], I guess I understand the reason behind the nerf, though I'm not sure that hitting the electrifier will in itself fix the problem.
Kazrite Army Members:

Gladdis the Damned
Thanatos
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

I don't agree. It's a legal item regardless if it's a wand or a rechargable item. It's not something you hoard to exploit, it's more of a convenience or quality-of-life, same as regen. If you put max regen on every item you have, it still useless in a fight. It only gives you an easier heal between fights. Instead of carrying lots of potions, you can regain some HP between fights.

Also, if you charge a wand to max 250 charges, the level requirement rises rapidly, so you can't really abuse it.

The random property remover, that could be abused. But the recharger? Nah. Quality of life, not abuse.
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Items that can be charged 250 heals and rez. No, it is not a quality of life, it is utterly broken.

Why do you want to play a game where you basically have no risk whatsoever? Is that even fun?
Cornflower wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:00 pm
I don't agree. It's a legal item regardless if it's a wand or a rechargable item. It's not something you hoard to exploit, it's more of a convenience or quality-of-life, same as regen. If you put max regen on every item you have, it still useless in a fight. It only gives you an easier heal between fights. Instead of carrying lots of potions, you can regain some HP between fights.

Also, if you charge a wand to max 250 charges, the level requirement rises rapidly, so you can't really abuse it.

The random property remover, that could be abused. But the recharger? Nah. Quality of life, not abuse.
The Flying Rodent
Count
Count

Post by The Flying Rodent »

driller wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:36 pm Items that can be charged 250 heals and rez. No, it is not a quality of life, it is utterly broken.
I think moreso the problem isn't so much the electrifier, as with Magic Items in general. Specifically for ones that cast spells with a fixed magnitude such as Heal, Resurrection, Word of Faith, Time Stop, Harm, basically any Minute or Hour/level buff, Summons, etc. There's almost no need to have a spellcaster that can cast these when you can just use an item to do the same thing.

This is a problem universal to NWN though, and short of removing just about every single fixed-magnitude spellcasting magic item on the server [which, given the age of the server and how it has been set up, will probably be met with torches and pitchforks], there isn't really a way to solve it.

But .. I guess the Heal ring problem was tackled by forcing parties to adopt a cleric, or purchase/make expensive consumables instead. Encouraging people to do the same thing with other magic items follows a similar logic.
Kazrite Army Members:

Gladdis the Damned
Thanatos