Electrifier

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.
Alter Fritz
Baron
Baron

Re: Electrifier

Post by Alter Fritz »

The Flying Rodent wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:17 pm
Alter Fritz wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:48 am I'm not saying to nerf the Heal spell, I'm saying get rid of the items that keep causing the abuse(ring of heals or harp or whatever is causing this).

UMD is in the game for a reason. Use that skill if you want heals without a Healer class.
Both of these items have effectively been removed, so that problem has been dealt with.

Which is why I find it odd that people keep returning to the argument of Healing magic items. They’re pretty much all gone now, so there’s not much else to say about them, lol.

But! You’re on a similar track to my point about Magic items that cast fixed magnitude spells. The root of the issue is not an Electrifier that can be used to charge fixed-magnitude-spell items (let’s call them FMS items for short); it’s that FMS items exist to begin with.

Rather than removing these types of items though, driller seems to be looking at changing how certain FMS items work in conjunction with the Electrifier (e.g the Res Rod requiring the spell Resurrection to be memorised before recharging the item, restricting that duty to Clerics with UMD), which I think is a much more positive approach! :)
Agreed.
Frankenstein doesn't scare me...
TedRo
Commoner
Commoner

Post by TedRo »

As long as items exist that can be bought with gold that do the same thing (greater restoration scrolls, resurrection scrolls/rods, etc) then nerfing the electrifier will strictly be a quality of life nerf. From what I've seen of end game, healers are basically just quality of life improvements for groups.

I would remove these items/scrolls entirely before deciding the issue was with the electrifier.
Yunim
Duke
Duke

Post by Yunim »

In light of the nerf will there be any changes to wand crafting? For example, setting all crafted wands to 50 charges?

If not, I guess that pure 40 crafters are the way to go now.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Currently, the Electrifier should be working as it did by default. The only difference for now, is it will require the appropriate Cleric levels to charge heal and resurrection items.
Sorcy Sid
Count
Count

Post by Sorcy Sid »

Does that mean the Nine Lives Ring will now do full heals?

driller wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:10 am Currently, the Electrifier should be working as it did by default. The only difference for now, is it will require the appropriate Cleric levels to charge heal and resurrection items.
Sid-Archer
Sid'darth
Sid 10
Sid, Sid, and more Sid.
Acct names Sid & SidII
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Nope.
Sorcy Sid wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:03 pm Does that mean the Nine Lives Ring will now do full heals?

driller wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:10 am Currently, the Electrifier should be working as it did by default. The only difference for now, is it will require the appropriate Cleric levels to charge heal and resurrection items.
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

Err.... A pure cleric can't use the electrifier. Unless you update the limitations on it, of course.
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
Roland Deschain
Duke
Duke

Post by Roland Deschain »

Cornflower wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:17 am
Err.... A pure cleric can't use the electrifier. Unless you update the limitations on it, of course.
Why would it need to be a pure cleric? Just someone with "appropriate cleric levels" is what was said. So if you can cast heal and resurrection you can recharge the items.
Roland Deschain
Alain Johnson
Cuthbert Allgood
Marten Broadcloak
Cort
Rarebru Balancebringer
Walter O' Dim
Sleepy
Feanara Telrunya
The Flying Rodent
Count
Count

Post by The Flying Rodent »

Correct. At present, one would need to be a Cleric with the appropriate levels to cast the spell, and then either a Wizard, Sorcerer or UMD class [Bard, Rogue, Assassin] to use the Electrifier.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3521

So something like this build could make use of the Electrifier in this way. But you're right, a pure level 40 cleric would not be able to.
Kazrite Army Members:

Gladdis the Damned
Thanatos
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

Roland Deschain wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:30 pm
Why would it need to be a pure cleric? Just someone with "appropriate cleric levels" is what was said. So if you can cast heal and resurrection you can recharge the items.
Well... My logic is that if driller really wants to see more clerics (which is one of the reasons for the latest nerfings) and he thinks it should be a requirement that you have cleric levels in order to charge cleric-spell-related wands/items, then it seems highly illogical that if you have too many (=all) cleric levels, you're unable to use the item? That's just not making sense. I think it's a case of "darn, didn't think of that".

I'm not saying you have to be a full cleric to be able use the item, I'm just saying that it would be strange if a half-cleric could use it but not a full-cleric, since it's a cleric-related spell.

It would be more logical if a full cleric could charge a rod of rez to a higher degree than a half-cleric. Now it's the other way around.
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
TedRo
Commoner
Commoner

Post by TedRo »

My own opinion: This doesn't make me feel more useful as a Cleric. It leaves a bitter taste that now I'm just the vendor for the items that soft-invalidate my class :/
Kane0
Duke
Duke

Post by Kane0 »

Well said.

Idea: if crafting potions are capped at level 3 or lower spells and wands 4th level or lower, perhaps make the highest level spells available via item 5th or 6th? That leaves the highest level spells purely for the actual casters, and we can work on making those spells truly worthwhile.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

You're right. I have never used the Electrifier. So I didn't think of the umd requirements. I will just remove it's ability to charge those type of items.

Let me clarify, when I say items, I mean specifically Heal and Resurrection charging.
That's just not making sense. I think it's a case of "darn, didn't think of that".
Kalaron
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Kalaron »

Just a remind, if you going to remove the restriction and everyone could use the famous electrifier, please make sure you HAVE the ability to cast the spell you are recharging (cleric for cleric spell and mage for mages spell). Apply the same logic for all caster user.

cya
Alter Fritz
Baron
Baron

Post by Alter Fritz »

Kane0 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:40 am Well said.

Idea: if crafting potions are capped at level 3 or lower spells and wands 4th level or lower, perhaps make the highest level spells available via item 5th or 6th? That leaves the highest level spells purely for the actual casters, and we can work on making those spells truly worthwhile.
I agree!
Frankenstein doesn't scare me...