Blackrose PvP

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.
Yunim
Duke
Duke

Blackrose PvP

Post by Yunim »

Blackrose is a region of lawlessness. The rules governing PvP and PP actions are not enforced in those areas. Players who take their characters to these places, do so at their own risk!
Based on the rules in this post, it sounds like the Blackrose Stronghold is a place where PvP can happen without any consent.

I figure that I should ask here for clarification, is this still the case?
Mask-inc
Duke
Duke

Re: Blackrose PvP

Post by Mask-inc »

Yes

Mask
**Master Halaster Blackcloak, Los Illuminados Alianza Grand Master**

Minion- Impling
Sir Del Goodman- Exile from Starkson Protectorate
Karthak Strongarms- Slayer of Undead
Rikus Strongarms- Grand Scythe Master
Lomnek Strongarms- Dwarven Tank
run4life
Commoner
Commoner

Post by run4life »

Just to make sure everyone know what we are talking about :
Blackrose

Blackrose is a region of lawlessness. The rules governing PvP and PP actions are not enforced in those areas. Players who take their characters to these places, do so at their own risk!

The server rules that are in place prohibiting exploits of server scripts, game errors, etc.. are still enforced. Also, adult content violations will still meet with strict DM intervention.

If your concerned with the enforcement of specific rules or customs of the server within the Blackrose areas, start a thread and the DM's will address your concerns. Specific findings that are relivant will be added to this post.
Vestrit
Knight
Knight

Post by Vestrit »

I have not encountered any area that is labeled "Blackrose".

Is it something I could accidentally happen upon without knowing it?
John-Alhoon
Commoner
Commoner

Post by John-Alhoon »

Vestrit wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:45 am I have not encountered any area that is labeled "Blackrose".

Is it something I could accidentally happen upon without knowing it?
Blackrose is an area located in the Underdark where you will find a vendor with rare but random items that refresh every reset.

Let the games begin.
The Flying Rodent
Count
Count

Post by The Flying Rodent »

So I was invited to participate in a potential brawl in Blackrose Stronghold today, and I guess I learnt about the dynamic of free-for-all PVP on Blackstone in the process.

Without spoiling too much ... really all it comes down to is that the group with the most Time-Stop scrolls wins. Not only can one store scrolls well beyond a typical spellcaster's reserves, they can also use these scrolls without breaking Greater Sanctuary. Parties can just dedicate one member to being a bookreading untargetable stun-locker, whilst the rest hit statues.

The only real counter to Time Stop scrolls, aside from perhaps landing a Time Stop via a spell cast [which I suppose is a little quicker, whilst being a lot more finite than carrying 100+ scrolls], is to be outside of the effected Time Stop zone; i.e. to essentially not participate in any sort of fight unless it's out in the open [which is not the case in Blackrose].

Given that Blackstone is primarily a PVM style server, and not heavily focused on PVP balance, I assume these scrolls are here to stay. But for those who are interested in participating in PVP at Blackrose ... be prepared for disappointment as soon as someone starts reading. Any sort of advantage due to strategy, mechanical skill or decent character building is thrown out the window.

If Blackrose-style brawls are to become the norm as groups of people potentially fight over access to the store, then perhaps the nature of time stop scrolls and their place in auto-winning PVP fights is something worth discussing.
Kazrite Army Members:

Gladdis the Damned
Thanatos
Wing--Zero
Duke
Duke

Post by Wing--Zero »

Fair PvP being a group of 5 (adding you it was 6) vs 1-2(Thats how it started before me and Raven got involved making it 6vs4)??? It seems to have been the norm for you and your group lately. My build specializes in using time stop and time stop scrolls. Along with a few other tricks. IF were gonna get into the "Fairness" of a pvp fight and it depending on strategy. Using 5 characters against 1 or 2 doesn't sound too fair to me. Especially since you added a mage to your group and were casting time stop against just 2 people. If your builds are that good you shouldn't need the mage to cast time stop.

What really happened was you and your group were wanting to jump people and kill them at BlackRose and were using any means to do so. Someone a little bit more prepared came along and took you guys out with the same "nuke" you were using. Now your here calling about fairness of PvP after you yourself just walked into a fight that you were not at for the start of. If you can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen :) This is your groups first time having a organized group stopping you from what your doing vs the random few who have been getting attacked and jumped by your group in Blackrose.

You yourself might not have been part of the past events that I was told about down there but, your running to the aid of those who are jumping very few people and now are complaining about "fairness"??? Its gotten to the point I had random people asking me to help gaurd them while they shopped down there so I did! Also members of your group were able to kill me twice in fact while I was still casting these "unbeatable chain of spells" So how is that explained?? All I did was just happen to get in a good rythem. I also used a few more tricks to stop things from happening.

Again you weren't there for the entire fight just the very last part of it. Yes you got time stopped spammed as well but, hey if you don't like the nuke .....well don't use it! Its as simple as that. I don't like using it myself but, as soon as I step into the portal that was the very first thing I seen being cast so I did as well. Long story short....we beat you guys and now your licking your wounds trying to find ways to nerf things in your favor. This is the only post i'm making on this thread b/c I see it as a waste of time to continue discussing at this point. You all got beat in the Rule free area you've been picking on others in ....I don't think there's much to discuss about fairness especially since your talking about something that started out as a 5 vs 2 Timestop beat down fight that your group started.

Thanks,
Zero
Duo Maxwell
Auran Goodman
Damian Goodman
Daniel Goodman
Karn
Aye Spyu
Heia The Deamon
and some others :P
Log-ins: Zero, X, X_Mule, Z_mule
The Flying Rodent
Count
Count

Wing--Zero wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:28 pm Fair PvP being a group of 5 (adding you it was 6) vs 1-2(Thats how it started before me and Raven got involved making it 6vs4)??? It seems to have been the norm for you and your group lately. My build specializes in using time stop and time stop scrolls. Along with a few other tricks.
I've since reworded my post to not include the word 'fair' because yes, in this particular instance it turned out the party that I had joined had more members in the group. But I guess that was the word that you latched on to and designed your response around, which is 'fair' enough.

What indeed happened was that I was invited to join a PVP brawl in Blackrose. I had no control over who was participating in the fight, nor did I even participate myself, though I did enter Blackrose as part of the larger party. I sat on the sidelines as our larger group first off defeated a smaller group. Then Raven and your character arrived with his collection of scrolls, and from there the fight was clearly one sided. Really your character should not have died at all if they'd remained under Sanctuary whilst using the scrolls, and I guess that's a mechanical error on your part.

I am also personally not concerned with dying in PVP; I've played the game long enough for that not to concern me. I can take the heat, thankyou very much.

What did concern me was the fact that the 'Greater Sanctuary/Time Stop Scroll spam' tactic that your character employed has basically no counter, aside from perhaps draggin out the fight for half an hour or so until you run out of scrolls. There is no point bringing 'strategy' or a 'good build' to a PVP fight if the whole thing is going to be determined by who first enacts an un-counterable cheese tactic. It makes PVP really boring.

As much as you would like to think that this is about me complaining about one fight, it is not; there are other people on this server too, who may want to have a PVP fight at some point, and this post is in a way a warning of what PVP can degenerate into given the current situation. Hell, the group I was with could all go off and design scroll-using cheese characters of their own and win a fight against your band of scroll-using cheese characters ... and what on earth would have been proven by doing that?

Again: I brought this up was to discuss whether not having a PVP auto-win tactic is healthy for PVP, knowing full well that this is an old server that primarily focuses on PVM. My opinion is obviously no, and was hoping to invoke some productive discussion about it. Time Stop is bad enough, but at least spellcasters are usually limited to less than 10. Unlike scrolls.
Kazrite Army Members:

Gladdis the Damned
Thanatos
Wing--Zero
Duke
Duke

Post by Wing--Zero »

Lol well I guess you edited your post and read that I died so I don't have to correct that one.

1)Its not a mechanical error on my part......its actually a part of Neverwinter nights mechanics. Time Stop is considered a hostile spell and pulls the caster out of Greater Sanctuary. Try testing it and you'll see.

2)Again I was there at the start which was 6:04pm EST exactly you arrived very late. I was there WAY before Raven joined in....she joined in before you even got there.

3)Its not a Auto win if I died btw. If that is the argument why didn't you guys win with your larger group after your group started spamming it first? We were just better prepared than your group that's all it is to it.

Edit: Still don't know why were discussing this on a topic about a rule free area. If you want a good "fair" fight that is what the arena is for. Thats the fun of the wilds...its the wild anything can happen! Lol everyone loves time stop till ya get stuck in it. Its like a bad engagement! :)
Duo Maxwell
Auran Goodman
Damian Goodman
Daniel Goodman
Karn
Aye Spyu
Heia The Deamon
and some others :P
Log-ins: Zero, X, X_Mule, Z_mule
The Flying Rodent
Count
Count

Wing--Zero wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:05 pm
1)Its not a mechanical error on my part......its actually a part of Neverwinter nights mechanics. Time Stop is considered a hostile spell and pulls the caster out of Greater Sanctuary. Try testing it and you'll see.
Here is an example of Time Stop being cast near a hostile whilst under Greater Sanctuary.

Pre Time-Stop:
https://i.imgur.com/WWmWMJS.png

Post Time-Stop:
https://i.imgur.com/6nKQ5QI.png

Sanctuary still remains, suggesting that time stop is not considered a hostile spell.

Additionally, here is an example of Time Stop being cast near a hostile whilst under Invisibility.

Pre Time-Stop:
https://i.imgur.com/oTozIri.png

Post Time-Stop:
https://i.imgur.com/HYAjKPl.png

Invisiblity still remains, further suggesting that time stop is not considered a hostile spell.

I am assuming that the same is true of the scroll versions of Time-Stop. I have not tested this, but based upon what I observed, it should not break Greater Sanctuary either. Your character remained unseen by my character the entire time that they were spamming scrolls, and my character initially had See Invisibility.

So! Again. Perhaps there could be some discussion about whether or not having an uncounterable cheese tactic in a PVP fight is healthy for PVP looking forward.

Perhaps at the very least time stop could be changed to be treated as a hostile spell? This would be a good start, though this still doesn’t solve the problem of a PvP fight being determined by the member/team with the most Time stop scrolls.
Kazrite Army Members:

Gladdis the Damned
Thanatos
The Flying Rodent
Count
Count

One more thing: I've had a bit of a chat with some others about what happened prior to today, and it sounded like there was previous encounters involving a larger group of experienced players outnumbering and potentially grieving another group of players. I went in today being totally oblivious of this, and I realise in part that your character was there to jump to the defense of others that you thought were being wronged.

But again: My quam is not with that, and it is unfortunate that this is the context in which it is being raised. My concern is with a PVP tactic with essentially no counterplay, and that subsequent fights within the Blackrose area could just degenerate into people using this on each other, regardless of whether or not the person using the tactic was on the moral high ground to begin with or not.

Discuss!
Kazrite Army Members:

Gladdis the Damned
Thanatos
Kalaron
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Kalaron »

Well, free pvp is free pvp. I was wondering, does TimeStop bypass Spell resistance check? If it doesnt a scroll witch should be lvl 17, you need like a 32 spell resistance to get good chance of not been affected by it or i am wrong?

even if he is on greater sacnturay, he can still getting damage from aoes spell if he standing there and cast Morder's will dispel the greater sanct as well.
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

I'm so happy I'm not involved in PvP.
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
The Flying Rodent
Count
Count

Kalaron wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:33 am Well, free pvp is free pvp. I was wondering, does TimeStop bypass Spell resistance check? If it doesnt a scroll witch should be lvl 17, you need like a 32 spell resistance to get good chance of not been affected by it or i am wrong?

even if he is on greater sacnturay, he can still getting damage from aoes spell if he standing there and cast Morder's will dispel the greater sanct as well.
I’m fairly confident that time stop bypasses spell resistance. If it doesn’t , and spell resistance can block it, this does present some sort of counterplay to scroll spamming. I’ll have to test this as well.

Technically yes, characters under Greater Sanctuary can still be damaged under AoE spells. Scroll casting however cannot be interrupted by damage, so unless said AoE spells manage to outright kill a scroll user before they start their stun-lock chain, they don’t offer much counterplay either.
Kazrite Army Members:

Gladdis the Damned
Thanatos
run4life
Commoner
Commoner

Post by run4life »

Wing--Zero wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:05 pm Edit: Still don't know why were discussing this on a topic about a rule free area. If you want a good "fair" fight that is what the arena is for. Thats the fun of the wilds...its the wild anything can happen! Lol everyone loves time stop till ya get stuck in it. Its like a bad engagement! :)
It is funny how You use numbers and facts and manipulate them for Your own benefit... the first fight began 2 v 2 as me and Dev logged in very quickly. The fight didnt take long, they just menaged to set portal for the rest of crew.... was trying to check shop quick, as I knew that it will be really funny at this point. The problem with Blackrose is not only that You can sit there spaming TS scrolls, but that there is no death penalty and You can port back at will. When You came in 1st time, spaming TS and doin nothing, my axer critier ya twice while Andy joined and menaged to overtake TS spam. You insta respawned and came back . . . with more scrolls. I had lost of scrolls on my char too, but I've decided to skip em as this was just some random funny encounter for me ;)

And tbh, I went there to check shop, and I finaly did in GS. PvP there was not fair, it was never ment to be fair, and i m a bit confused why TFR would waste any minute discussing it here...... he forgot that Zero is no match in real PvP? :)

Still, TS is really cheese, I think we could all agree to disable it for many reasons and benefits? There is no real counter for it, You get TSed even with high SR, beeging GSed and with mantle on.....