Item adjustments/removal thoughts.

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.
Kane0
Duke
Duke

Re: Item adjustments/removal thoughts.

Post by Kane0 »

The presence of one or two spells, in this case heal and greater restoration, does not relegate a class, in this case clerics, invalid. I believe the problem you are stating is the full heal aspect, not who gets access to it.
Youve already removed heal potions, and the problem persists. Just change the spells rather than access to them.

Edit: also, how much does regen under 10 really impact combat performance? With the levels i see it at regen is a quality of life benefit, not a tangible increase to combat effectiveness.
Last edited by Kane0 on Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Flying Rodent
Count
Count

Post by The Flying Rodent »

Kane0 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:22 am The presence of one or two spells, in this case heal and greater restoration, does not relegate a class, in this case clerics, invalid. I believe the problem you are stating is the full heal aspect, not who gets access to it.
Youve already removed heal potions, and the problem persists. Just change the spells rather than access to them.
It’s not so much that the spells relegate a class. It’s the presence of items with Heal/Restore spells on them being available to non-Clerics/Druids.

Heal potions were removed for this reason, and I’m going to gues the nerf/removal of the ring is an extension of this. This should encourage high level parties to carry a healer with them, instead of just stocking up on magic items that effectively render healers invalid. I’m guessing Heal and Greater restore scrolls will stay though, because they take significantly more time and money to acquire than plonking 250 charges on a Ring does.

In addition, if the heal and greater restore spells were changed, pretty much none of the current crop of high level PvM enemies could exist in their current state. They'd pump out way too much damage for even a Healer spamming spells on a high level DD Tank to keep up. I'd be inclined to leave the spells as is.
Kazrite Army Members:

Gladdis the Damned
Thanatos
Terankar
Knight
Knight

Post by Terankar »

In regards to 2da files, Beamdog are going to make them server side. At least that's their plan which is awesome.

I do think that you cannot talk items without class balance and at least if you want a nuanced Top Tier composition of classes.

In my mind you cannot just redo items. You have to look at the overall power adjustment. Honestly like UMD. Maybe that should be for rogues and bards only. Then everything is a lot closer to class fantasy and parties are required even more so.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

1.I will probably nerf heal(on items only, not the spell) by limiting the HP they heal to like 150 or so and 1 use a day.
2.I will consider on the RIPR.
Yunim wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:43 pm
driller wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:16 am Items like the Ring of Nine Lives/Dove Harp which negate an entire class(Cleric) will be adjusted.
Will the ring be nerfed in a similar fashion to the Dove's Harp with a certain probability of failure or will it be changed completely?
The Flying Rodent wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:39 pm As Jakemaster said, most high level builds have UMD in the mix for magic items. But there are some builds, like Barbarian/Fighter/Monk focused builds, already that are usually not very optimised for PvP or PvM, that do not. Removing the Item Property remover is only going to hurt these classes and force everybody to use UMD. That's it. It's not going to increase class diversity; it's going to decrease it. So I oppose this change for this reason.
I agree with The Flying Rodent with regards to the ripr change. Requiring all builds to have at least 1 level of a caster or UMD class in order to even survive high end dungeons only limits viable PvM builds further.

I don't have a problem with any of the other changes, they seem to be more about increasing caster PvP options rather than causing huge build-breaking changes.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Nothing will be wiped. They would self adjust to +6.
Terankar wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:59 am But I have to ask, how will this change be introduced?

I know quite a few people that have 7 or 8 ac versions of an item and to me, a clear wipe of the server is imminent to enforce this change.

Is there a plan for implementatio already set?
Kane0
Duke
Duke

Post by Kane0 »

Heal Potions have a default caster level of 11, so if you change Heal to do 10 HP per caster level like 3.5 does it that seems a fair improvement over Cure Critical pots at 110 HP and won't render heal kits or the spell useless (as it could heal up to 400 before empowering). Speaking of which, some higher + heal kits would be nice.
It seems the Toolset only offers Heal at CL 11 though, so you won't be able to provide different strength heals from different items without getting tricky.

Greater Restoration is tougher, I don't think it was ever really supposed to heal HP damage. Perhaps the same 10 HP per caster level so it still does what people expect but doesn't make Heal irrelevant (items would be 20 HP more than a heal), it's really meant to wipe away negative conditions more than give a full restore.

/2cp

Edit: If you don't want to go down that route, perhaps just cap the Ring at 9 charges. It sounds like the overcharging is the unbalancing factor and would be a more gradual tweak to balance rather than an overhaul.
Yunim
Duke
Duke

Post by Yunim »

driller wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:20 pm 1.I will probably nerf heal(on items only, not the spell) by limiting the HP they heal to like 150 or so and 1 use a day.
As long as this doesn't affect Heal scrolls it seems like a fair change.
Maybe make the ring 3 uses a day, but other than that it seems fine.
Julian
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Julian »

This is a bit different, but still touches item adjustment/removal:
Can we remove the blackrose shop (or any others like it?) where the merchants sells random yellow/purple gear and you just have to be the fastest to log in after reset? And instead make it so that those items drop in loot crates, where you actually have to make some effort to get them? Because atm loot crates are full of useless blue items with one damage mod (at lvl 40), which are strictly worse than a socketed weapon.
Atm this instead of actually playing the game makes it much more important if you can load the area the fastest after restart.
Jake_Master
Count
Count

Post by Jake_Master »

These items aren’t rare in the loot IMO... I don’t think you have a problem with blackrose shop, sounds like your taking a jab at the loot
Captain Andrick Korningstone, Arms Master Los Illuminados Alianza

Troy Korningstone
Andrin StoneBender, Master Crafter
Kurt Addams
Julian
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Julian »

Jake_Master wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:49 am These items aren’t rare in the loot IMO... I don’t think you have a problem with blackrose shop, sounds like your taking a jab at the loot
Perhaps, I personally have never seen such items in drops, only orange "of the ancients". But you know something is wrong if there are 5 people camping the merchant seconds after every restart.
Terankar
Knight
Knight

Post by Terankar »

Julian wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:19 am This is a bit different, but still touches item adjustment/removal:
Can we remove the blackrose shop (or any others like it?) where the merchants sells random yellow/purple gear and you just have to be the fastest to log in after reset? And instead make it so that those items drop in loot crates, where you actually have to make some effort to get them? Because atm loot crates are full of useless blue items with one damage mod (at lvl 40), which are strictly worse than a socketed weapon.
Atm this instead of actually playing the game makes it much more important if you can load the area the fastest after restart.
This is by no means an issue to me. It is a choice to pick up those low value items.

To overcome it, get a decent amount of lore and those items will never find a way to your inventory. Let them stay in the monster chest or put them back in a monster chest as they dissappear alongside the chest

To be honest, with so many resets during the year, you will wvwntually be first if you want to.
Julian
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Julian »

Terankar wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:59 am This is by no means an issue to me. It is a choice to pick up those low value items.

To overcome it, get a decent amount of lore and those items will never find a way to your inventory. Let them stay in the monster chest or put them back in a monster chest as they dissappear alongside the chest

To be honest, with so many resets during the year, you will wvwntually be first if you want to.
Totally not the point of my post. I will try it again:
On a server that promotes comunication and playing together, it seems weird to me that if you play the game (kill monsters, open loot chests) you most of the time get nothing of value (as far as items are concerned) yet there is a merchant that sells dozens of potentionally very interesting items and all you have to do is to log in after a server restart. The merchant is not hidden at the end of a dungeon where you would need to cooperate with other people to get there, build interesting characters to overcome obstacles, no, just log in, alone, quickly scan through the wares and hope you find something good before one of the other people there buy it.
I know that people that abuse this merchant will defend him being left alone and I understand and agree - where else would you get such interesting items? Crafting skill bonuses? He has those! Hard to get resists like sonic, magic? He has those! Stat bonuses that are higher than you can get from forge stones? You bet he has those - I have seen a double modded item with +10 strength! Etc.

I am not questioning these items, I think that randomly generated loot is great, I am questioning the way you obtain these items which has zero gameplay in it and the distribution is rather unfair.
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

Julian wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:09 am
Totally not the point of my post. I will try it again:
On a server that promotes comunication and playing together, it seems weird to me that if you play the game (kill monsters, open loot chests) you most of the time get nothing of value (as far as items are concerned) yet there is a merchant that sells dozens of potentionally very interesting items and all you have to do is to log in after a server restart. The merchant is not hidden at the end of a dungeon where you would need to cooperate with other people to get there, build interesting characters to overcome obstacles, no, just log in, alone, quickly scan through the wares and hope you find something good before one of the other people there buy it.
I know that people that abuse this merchant will defend him being left alone and I understand and agree - where else would you get such interesting items? Crafting skill bonuses? He has those! Hard to get resists like sonic, magic? He has those! Stat bonuses that are higher than you can get from forge stones? You bet he has those - I have seen a double modded item with +10 strength! Etc.

I am not questioning these items, I think that randomly generated loot is great, I am questioning the way you obtain these items which has zero gameplay in it and the distribution is rather unfair.
I agree with Julian.
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
Terankar
Knight
Knight

Post by Terankar »

I definately missunderstood then.

Total agreement here. Gameplay should lead to the best possible items.

I do however understand you need to farm a lot of gold to get
these, but since they are random as well, they become too good for a vendor in my opinion.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

These afore mentioned changes will be implemented next reset.

I have reduced Tar Valon's damage somewhat.

The Blackrose store has been changed to be populated with orange Ancient items. They definitely are not the best items you can get, but sometimes you will find something useful to buy. The store will restock once per game day, up to its max allotment.