Killing Blows Grant More XP?

Post suggestions for improvements here.
Cometchaser
Knight
Knight

Killing Blows Grant More XP?

Post by Cometchaser »

I recently got one of my friends to make a character on Blackstone, so I made a new character with him and we've been having a lot of fun playing together. However we noticed that whoever gets the killing blow on a monster gets more XP than the rest of the party. In addition, only the person who lands the killing blow on a Champion enemy gets the Champion slaying bonus XP.

Normally this is a relatively non-issue, but my friend decided he wanted to play a Bard focused on buffing and support/healing spells, so I decided to make a Fighter to complement his build. As a result I'm slowly creeping further and further ahead on XP since I land the majority of the kills. I doubt we'll ever grow far enough apart for the level difference to be significant, but I'd hate for him to feel like he's being "punished" for playing a support character.

Here are my suggestions:

1. Normalize the XP so that the person getting the killing blow doesn't get more experience than the rest of the party. I don't know if this is how XP works in base NWN or if only happens on Blackstone. If it's a NWN base thing, I imagine this may be unchangeable.

2. Award Champion bonus XP to the entire party, rather than just the person who landed the killing blow.
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Re: Killing Blows Grant More XP?

Post by Cornflower »

Or you can do like I do when I'm in a party with my fighter and someone else buffing: Don't hit the killing throw, leave that to the buffer. Work the enemy down to "almost, but not quite dead" and then draw back and let the buffer hit.
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
Douglas Thurman
Count
Count

Post by Douglas Thurman »

I've been on both sides of this, but if you are playing a "support" character, the thrill is making sure you have everyone buffed and ready. When I first started playing NWN, someone told me something that has stuck with me: "A spellcaster support character's greatest damage spell is the buffs that keep the tank safe."

I know, I know...that doesn't make it any less fulfilling when your tanks get to level before you, but the fact that you survived and the tank had to take the brunt of the fighting seems fair that they get a tad more xp. Well, in my mind. 8) :)
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Ok I have changed this. You will get the same XP as long as you and your party members are within 5 levels of each other.
If you are over level 20, then this restriction doesn't apply.