Flame Weapon Spell

Report any bugs you find here.
Sorcy Sid
Count
Count

Flame Weapon Spell

Post by Sorcy Sid »

I have noticed that on a few of my heavily forged scimitars, cold, acid, electric, etc, that the flame weapon buff fails to show any damage done to the monsters. Examining the weapon does show the temporary FW.
Sid-Archer
Sid'darth
Sid 10
Sid, Sid, and more Sid.
Acct names Sid & SidII
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Flame Weapon Spell

Post by driller »

If that's the case, it would be a game engine issue, not much I could do about it.
Sorcy Sid wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:15 am I have noticed that on a few of my heavily forged scimitars, cold, acid, electric, etc, that the flame weapon buff fails to show any damage done to the monsters. Examining the weapon does show the temporary FW.
Douglas Thurman
Count
Count

Post by Douglas Thurman »

I thought that the fire damage from the FW spell was wrapped up in the total fire damage done to a target. I have a sorc/cleric who has a club with 1d10 fire damage, the FW spell adds to that, showing upwards of 11-20 points of fire damage. If the weapon you have is heavily forged, the game engine might ignore the last effect placed on the weapon.

Test it by finding a darkfire crystal and add that to the effects and if that also doesn't show as being inflicted, there's your answer.
Kane0
Duke
Duke

Post by Kane0 »

Darkfire, Flame Weapon, Deafening Clang and Bless Weapon are treated as 'on-hit' properties by the engine (http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/On-hit), which is why they apply separately to the actual weapon damage and don't stack with each other.
Sorcy Sid
Count
Count

Post by Sorcy Sid »

I added darkfire and it did not do any damage. The socketed scimitar has 2 on hits, daze and a lvl 40 'special'. Which I have yet to figure out. The only on hit that works is the daze.

Douglas Thurman wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:41 pm I thought that the fire damage from the FW spell was wrapped up in the total fire damage done to a target. I have a sorc/cleric who has a club with 1d10 fire damage, the FW spell adds to that, showing upwards of 11-20 points of fire damage. If the weapon you have is heavily forged, the game engine might ignore the last effect placed on the weapon.

Test it by finding a darkfire crystal and add that to the effects and if that also doesn't show as being inflicted, there's your answer.
Sid-Archer
Sid'darth
Sid 10
Sid, Sid, and more Sid.
Acct names Sid & SidII
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Some on hits in BSK are a 1d10 chance.
Sorcy Sid wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:52 am I added darkfire and it did not do any damage. The socketed scimitar has 2 on hits, daze and a lvl 40 'special'. Which I have yet to figure out. The only on hit that works is the daze.

Douglas Thurman wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:41 pm I thought that the fire damage from the FW spell was wrapped up in the total fire damage done to a target. I have a sorc/cleric who has a club with 1d10 fire damage, the FW spell adds to that, showing upwards of 11-20 points of fire damage. If the weapon you have is heavily forged, the game engine might ignore the last effect placed on the weapon.

The Flying Rodent
Count
Count

Post by The Flying Rodent »

As Kane0 mentioned, Flame Weapon is an on hit property, so it shouldn’t add to the base fire damage of a weapon unless something has changed.

On Hit Weapon Properties in NWN are limited to 1 per weapon, except for very few cases. This means things like Intelligent Weapons (or other On Hit:Unique properties) and Flame Weapon shouldn’t stack.

Dark fire and Flame Weapon shouldn’t stack for this reason. If they do, something is probably bugged, or you’re hitting an enemy that is vulnerable to fire and the damage numbers are being inflated.

The cases where I have seems flame weapon stack with on hit properties tend to be things like Daze, Blind and Stun that are innate to the weapon. Things like the Ravager +4 halberd from the Original Campaign can be ignited with Flame Weapon no problem.

In this case, I’m guessing that the ‘on hit level 40 special’ is being treated as the primary on hit property of the Weapon, and so Flame Weapon isn’t working.

As an aside, I’m currently playing a Scimitar user (only level 24, getting there slowly) , for whom I’ve made some Flame Weapon Scrolls. The scrolls seem to function fine on his Bludgeoning/Electrical/Sonic 1d6 Socketed Scimitar.
Kazrite Army Members:

Gladdis the Damned
Thanatos
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

In relation to this, no weapon was supposed to have more than one onhit. There was an oversight in the Forge and loot generation that allowed it. Going forward, this has been fixed.