Things I have noticed

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Samhain
Commoner
Commoner

Things I have noticed

Post by Samhain »

I am relatively new to BSK. For the most part it seems a very nice place to enjoy NWN.

But as nice as it seems, there are still people who only seem to want to ruin things or try to disrupt the gaming experience.

I recently used a portal to go back to the tavern portal room. Upon exiting the room/entering the tavern i hit 2 traps someone had placed at the transition. Why would someone do this? Other than pure meaness.

I recently used the runegate to go to the eastern wastes, upon arriving there i found 2 large scorpions at the gate who proceeded to slay me mercilessly. Why would someone intentionally lead them there? And I believe it was intentional because if you were trying to escape, a portal would be much faster than pressing runes, or simply running to the troll cave.

At any rate. I would like to know if anyone else has come across such behavior. And if it is commonplace here to encounter such aggravation.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Fortunately it is not common. It always seems to be a few people who try to ruin things for others, mostly because they are "bored" or "letting off steam". Anyone setting traps inside the keep or in surrounding "newbie" areas risks getting banned.

As far as the runegates are concerned, whenever you're talking about one that is in a hostile area, it's a bit of a grabbag. I'm not sure if someone did that maliciously, or was just running from troubles. It's pretty impossible to use a runegate to escape battle beacuse you cannot activate it if someone is inside the circle with you.
DM Dragonheart
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM Dragonheart »

The setting of traps within main stream areas in the keep is a bannable offence if caught as is stealing from the forge ...

But the portals are a risky business when using them...many times ive seen chrs port through and get hit by enemies when they have reached their location ...the monsters randomly spawn and this means in close proximity to the portals also ..

So sadly it is a risk that is taken when you port through them into some of the more open areas
And they came from out of the mists... the hordes of undead

Nothing stood in the wake of their path and the carnage and destruction was insurmountable.

Quinon guye captain 7th Guard
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

The portal room has long been one of the servers 'grey' areas.

Technically, it can be considered a 'newbie zone' and traps should not be laid there. Doing so could be judged a banning offence by a DM.

Truthfully, it is a 'use at your own risk' zone and people should absolutely not consider it a safe room.

The historical way it has been dealt with by DM's has been very 'wild west'. We typically do not worry about enforcing the 'newbie zone' rules in that area unless somebody needs to be strung up for blatent abuse.

Traps and pickpocket attempts should be expected in a place with so many "marks", "shills", and otherwise soft targets.

If you have not yet earned yourself a Town Portal Book, I advise that you commission the retrival of one. It should not be hard to find someone willing to round one up for a minor fee or even for free. Portals to the temple are slightly safer.

Do be aware though, some people have been know to trap the return sight for portals also.

In summary, you should use the portal room in the Tavern at your own risk and if your a trapper/pickpocketter, you also use the room at your own risk.

This is one of those times that DM discression might well bite you in the butt. Catch one in a bad mood and spend a week playing someplace else... lol

Myle
Artist? Writer? Musician?
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
http://www.myspace.com/st_dm_myle
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

That should read he means you as in the person laying the trap.

-driller
ST_DM_Myle wrote: This is one of those times that DM discression might well bite you in the butt. Catch one in a bad mood and spend a week playing someplace else... lol

Myle
Samhain
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Samhain »

So setting traps is not a hostile action so to speak. Like PKing someone? This is a sort of "passive pk" and is allowed?
HolyWann
Commoner
Commoner

Post by HolyWann »

By the way , while at it , why isnt the tavern completely NoPvP like Vogon's Pawn Shop is ? The merchant at the tavern is vital and about every lowlevel characters go there to buy potions . This place , like the portal room , is very often crowded with hidden Pickpocketers just waiting for players to shop at the store .

I understand Driller want to give Thieves a chance in BSK to use their pickpocket skill but seriously , most pickpocketer dont seem to be aware of the 3 times per real day rule and it often in the end causes more frustrations in town than anything else . Especially when the thief succeed at stealing your main weapon that was sheated in your backpack . Now , how cool is that ? Seriously. You really think the thief will give it back ? Especially if the other player havent even noticed the theft ? The thief will just log out and be done with it . Im not imaginating things . It really happens like that . For many players , Pickpocket skill is basically a "griefing tool" used to perpetrate OOC vendetta agaisnt another player .

Hehe sorry Driller . I had to say it . I still disagree with you about PP because the game engine handles it poorly and ill keep trying to convince you to tone it down :)

Why not just let players Pickpocket gold on other players ? Let em PP NPC items at will but it really is too frustrating when it comes to other players .

Same thing for Traps . Traps are cool and fun yadayada .. Until you are the poor level 1 falling into one and dying in the tavern portal room .

I dont see why Rogue players shouldnt be tamed a bit when it comes to the limitation of the effects of their skills upon other players. These skills are basically disregarded in PvP by most rogues .

Your main rule dictates that players should fight each other on a consensual basis and shouldnt be forced into it . On the other hand , my poor single class fighter should be at the complete mercy of any rogue that would want to empty my backpack ? This is just wrong . It opens the way to every abuses . For a time , i thought Akon stones could be the solution . Unfortunately , these Stones are as rare to find as forge stones nowadays and rogues that are after your stuff wont mind dying/respawning and theyll keep coming for you until either they get what they want or you simply log out . Maybe if Akon stones were sold at store it could be different but for now , it doesnt help much .

That was my 2 cents and i know i hijacked the thread a bit but i felt this stuff was kinda related .

Thanks
T'banyin
Duke
Duke

Post by T'banyin »

Just remember that if a newbie through normal means can get there, try to avoid using caltrops, bombs traps and the like in those areas.

The Keep the Hamlet, Skara Brae, these are considered safe zones for the most part.
Get out into the Desert, ( where a newbie might be exploring, but probably shouldnt be ) then its pretty much 'open fer bidness' on trapping and the like.

Is a trap a hostile action? Yes and No, yes as in er.. yeah ofcourse because someone is getting hit from it, but, if you are protecting "your rights and property" so to speak, then it isnt a hostile act, but preventing one.

Some players run willy nilly around stealing loot from others, a nice bit of prevention is a trap.
Some players set traps, and 'lead monsters' into them.
Same with Caltrops and the like.

Should you consider it an act of PVP? that depends on the circumstances.
If the player is running ahead of you, visibly setting traps infront of your path, then by all means that is hostile.

If the player is avoiding you, yet trapping the loot bags they are leaving, chances are that player noticed "YOU" stealing his or her loot and is protecting thier own rights.
~~I am the cat who walks by himself~~
T'banyin
Duke
Duke

Post by T'banyin »

HolyWann wrote:By the way , while at it , why isnt the tavern completely NoPvP like Vogon's Pawn Shop is ? The merchant at the tavern is vital and about every lowlevel characters go there to buy potions . This place , like the portal room , is very often crowded with hidden Pickpocketers just waiting for players to shop at the store .

I understand Driller want to give Thieves a chance in BSK to use their pickpocket skill but seriously , most pickpocketer dont seem to be aware of the 3 times per real day rule and it often in the end causes more frustrations in town than anything else . Especially when the thief succeed at stealing your main weapon that was sheated in your backpack . Now , how cool is that ? Seriously. You really think the thief will give it back ? Especially if the other player havent even noticed the theft ? The thief will just log out and be done with it . Im not imaginating things . It really happens like that . For many players , Pickpocket skill is basically a "griefing tool" used to perpetrate OOC vendetta agaisnt another player .

Hehe sorry Driller . I had to say it . I still disagree with you about PP because the game engine handles it poorly and ill keep trying to convince you to tone it down :)

Why not just let players Pickpocket gold on other players ? Let em PP NPC items at will but it really is too frustrating when it comes to other players .

Same thing for Traps . Traps are cool and fun yadayada .. Until you are the poor level 1 falling into one and dying in the tavern portal room .

I dont see why Rogue players shouldnt be tamed a bit when it comes to the limitation of the effects of their skills upon other players. These skills are basically disregarded in PvP by most rogues .

Your main rule dictates that players should fight each other on a consensual basis and shouldnt be forced into it . On the other hand , my poor single class fighter should be at the complete mercy of any rogue that would want to empty my backpack ? This is just wrong . It opens the way to every abuses . For a time , i thought Akon stones could be the solution . Unfortunately , these Stones are as rare to find as forge stones nowadays and rogues that are after your stuff wont mind dying/respawning and theyll keep coming for you until either they get what they want or you simply log out . Maybe if Akon stones were sold at store it could be different but for now , it doesnt help much .

That was my 2 cents and i know i hijacked the thread a bit but i felt this stuff was kinda related .

Thanks
As for rogues, they are very tamed down, from most servers.
Driller has initiated several scripts which work out nicely. Pick pockets are on a timer, to prevent chain picking, Server rules are three picks only per person per a 24 hour period.
There is only small items, and gold, allowed on the pick tables, anything larger gets bounced back as well, as forge stones.

Basically picking pockets is just a oleplaying tool on BSK, most rogues rarely pick pockets, and if they do, justice is dealt out very swiftly.
HolyWann
Commoner
Commoner

Post by HolyWann »

1 . Been playin here for 3 years . I know the drill . I just changed my forum name :)

2. Forge stones do get pickpocketed. Want to test it with me ?

3. The 3 try in 24 hours is BS because its blatantly not enforced ( many players dont even know about the rule BTW )

4. If your character has Spot very low and he cant even detect theft attempts , then how could he ever knows how much attempts a rogue did against him ? He will notice zilch .

5. Justice dealt swiftly ? Tell me how ? If you dont even know who stole your stuff then you are screwed . If you do know who stole your stuff then what ? Kill him ? So what ? What does it change ? Youll still not get your stuff back ( blame the game engine ) . It isnt realistic because there are no ways to really exact justice against robbers . There are no way to claim your items back once they got them . That is my point . Rogues are untouchable . If im a rogue , id gladly take the chance to be killed if i have the opportunity to get my hands on a good item and keep it . Its just not fair IMHO.
HolyWann
Commoner
Commoner

Post by HolyWann »

Oh and by the way . Sorry to sound abit bitter when it comes to Pickpocket but it really is the only thing that really infuriates me in NWN :)

Im going by all kind of emotions when it happens to me :twisted: But it is especially how powerless you feel against it that is the worst . That just makes me mad *bangs on keyboard* :evil:

Anyway , ill still hope Driller will reconsider or come back with a better solution :wink:
T'banyin
Duke
Duke

Post by T'banyin »

Have you had anyforgestones rescently stolen? for awhile the code was broke down, and it was happening, but I believe driller said he fixed that a couple months ago.
As for the three picks rule, yes, it is enforced. It is enforced by the players and by the DMs.

I have witnessed several 'hunts' on chain pickers, and killed a few of them myself.
As for me? I do have rogue levels, and I rarely use pick pockets. When I do, I usually use it against a rogue that has attempted on me, and I pick them twice, and 'reseve' my second pick, for addtitional conflict(s) that some times arrise in the course of 24 hours with a griefing player.

There are a few of those that flaunt the rules, purposly attempting to break them, by chain picking and griefing players, and yes I have dealt with several of those, and those that aided them.

I have watched DMs handle griefing chain pickers as well.
If you have just changed your ident, and have been around, for three years, you then should realise that there isn't that much thief activity. Unless you are so vocal in your rants against rogues, that you make yourself a natural target.

I know that does happen, I have seen the descriptions of players saying " NO PK no PP" or whatever, and its usually those players that theun disciplined and youthful players that play rogues decide to target.

Anyways, I think maybe you need to roll up a rogue character and observe first hand how 'it does not happen' they way you are thinking it does ;)
Just my opinion.
Zacarias
Duke
Duke
Location: Chesapeake, VA - West of Virginia Beach and South of Norfolk Naval Base.

Post by Zacarias »

Rouges have been tamed on BSK quite a bit. You don't know it until you try playing one.

The most hide and move silently points you can have is, what? 43? Add the skill focuses, epic skill focuses, and stealthy feats, and your character only has 70-something points of hide and move silently. There are few items in the game that will improve the stealth after that. Rings of hiding add +5 hide each, robes of blending (which are really hard to find) add +10, and then you have some other items.

But, this usually isn't enough. True seeing adds 50 spot to a character, so, with enough of a base spot, anyone with TS can see a thief.

But I do agree that PPers can easily abuse thier skill. I suggest we make it so that only a PPer can only pickpocket someone 5 levels lower than him. That way, the victim actually has a chance of seeing and catching him.
We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sound of the thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts,
and tore the world asunder.
Rune Brodersen
Knight
Knight

Post by Rune Brodersen »

@ Zac

Getting a hide and move silently skill of over 120 is something a lot of people have succeeded in here on BSK. you wont be able to spot them unless you intentionally focus on spot/listen, that means getting all the feats some really good gear. Cuz your max skill of 43 + true seing (50) just wont do it.[/quote]
Just hit the respawn button allready..
sgtjake73
Commoner
Commoner

Post by sgtjake73 »

Yes it is quite possible to get over 120 in hide. With enough dex, 43 skill points, 10 epic skill focus and 3 from skill focues. I have a sneaker when buffed we hides at a 121 He has 56 with the skills + 15 for dex, and with items and spells i can add 50. This items are not easy to obtain but with the proper robe, boots and 2 rings plus camoflauge spells i can hide on must everyone.

But then again the max spot is 127 with max wisdom skill focuses and spells. Plus you can use the detect mode and add 1 d 20 to your skill check. So it is up to the character to decide if he wants to see a thief or not.
It is better to burn out then fade away