Nerfed Gear - One Possible Fix

Post suggestions for improvements here.
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Nerfed Gear - One Possible Fix

Post by Capt Cliff »

Since the restore people have been finding that some or if not all of their gear has been nerfed in one way or another. The loss of +6 AC to +1 AC or +20 ab to +5 ab and other changes. Perhaps admin can provide some assistance for these people. Would it ne too much to create a wand with say 10 charges the will remove a nerfed attribute from forged gear. This wand can be given by DM or bought at Akons. I guess first we need to know how many people would use such a item.
Roland Deschain
Duke
Duke

Re: Nerfed Gear - One Possible Fix

Post by Roland Deschain »

I think it wouldn't be too over powered to not just allow people with nerfed gear to remove properties from items, but to add an item similar to the random item property remover. I believe it would produce some originality with gear instead of having all the cookie cutter gear. Let the item remove a property of the users choosing and charge a gold fee to operate the item/machine. The gold fee could even be steep if need be and require a crafter of max skill to operate it. Thoughts?
Roland Deschain
Alain Johnson
Cuthbert Allgood
Marten Broadcloak
Cort
Rarebru Balancebringer
Walter O' Dim
Sleepy
Feanara Telrunya
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

Roland Deschain wrote:I think it wouldn't be too over powered to not just allow people with nerfed gear to remove properties from items, but to add an item similar to the random item property remover. I believe it would produce some originality with gear instead of having all the cookie cutter gear. Let the item remove a property of the users choosing and charge a gold fee to operate the item/machine. The gold fee could even be steep if need be and require a crafter of max skill to operate it. Thoughts?
A gold fee could be a function of the level of the item with 40 level or 41 ... because you messed up ... would cost way more than something at lvl 3 or 4. A wand that costs a bundle of money or a machine that costs a bundle to operate.

There is one more option ... a forge stone that allows you to remove selected properties. A couple new forge stones wouldn't be a bad idea anyway.
tropiofCancer
Count
Count

Post by tropiofCancer »

Being able to remove item propertie would certainly be nice . I've got several bags of purple drops that would suddenly become very very valuable , lol .Like Roland said , cookie cutter gear would be a thing of the past , drop weapons and armor would actually start being forged . As it is now it is unthinkable to ever forge anything that isn't socketed , especially now that a certain forge property has changed . I can also see how this could lead to some pretty uber stuff , I mean say you got the best possible result w/ forge stone (A) and the worst result with forge stone (B) it would be simple to remove the (B) properties and reforge until you got the best . I can see pros and cons both ways with Rolands idea , and the random properties of the forge become alot less random , which in my opinion takes away alot of it's flavor .
"Jesus Saves.....and takes half damage."
Axe Madness
Duke
Duke

Post by Axe Madness »

I would be one those people with nerfed character(s) so I'd find use for that item. :?

and forging gear would be more interesting if i wasn't stuck with 1d6 mass crit with my 2d10 or something damages. heh

as for fee? WHAT IF! you introduced a 'new forge stone' that just performed that action. instead of using gold or exp or something. 8)
Capt Cliff wrote:Since the restore people have been finding that some or if not all of their gear has been nerfed in one way or another. The loss of +6 AC to +1 AC or +20 ab to +5 ab and other changes. Perhaps admin can provide some assistance for these people. Would it be too much to create a wand with say 10 charges the will remove a nerfed attribute from forged gear. This wand can be given by DM or bought at Akons. I guess first we need to know how many people would use such a item.
Mauric, Cervantes, Von Celer, Vicho Swift, Zod, Vex
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

tropiofCancer wrote:Being able to remove item propertie would certainly be nice . I've got several bags of purple drops that would suddenly become very very valuable , lol .Like Roland said , cookie cutter gear would be a thing of the past , drop weapons and armor would actually start being forged . As it is now it is unthinkable to ever forge anything that isn't socketed , especially now that a certain forge property has changed . I can also see how this could lead to some pretty uber stuff , I mean say you got the best possible result w/ forge stone (A) and the worst result with forge stone (B) it would be simple to remove the (B) properties and reforge until you got the best . I can see pros and cons both ways with Rolands idea , and the random properties of the forge become alot less random , which in my opinion takes away alot of it's flavor .
I think this whole excercise with BSK1 was to restrict uber gear not make more uber gear. To limit removal of properties to +1 AC, (or mayber up to +3) and +5 ab might be in order, but if you have 2D4 MC on a weapon ... tough nuts. But that's IMHO.

But again with crits turned on for the monsters having more powerful gear and the "utter joy" in building them is not so bad.

Still we do have a lot of folks with nerfed gear and they were loyal BSKer's and help make the mod popular. Helping them is a good thing.
tropiofCancer
Count
Count

Post by tropiofCancer »

I'm all for helping other players , I was replying to the idea of being able to remove properties .
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

tropiofCancer wrote:I'm all for helping other players , I was replying to the idea of being able to remove properties .
Not picking on ya Bud, should have edited what you said a bit, just saying driller was tried of all the uber gear before so making more uber gear probally not gonna happen, that is unless driller has changed his mind. But helping people with nerfed gear is another story. Sorry I miss-spoke.
Axe Madness
Duke
Duke

Post by Axe Madness »

I think was changed mostly due to the 'popular' servers left are low magic level 30 servers. So.. I think was just trying to go 'main stream' if you will. My take on it anyways. Still all for this gear 'fixing' thing myself.

I think a 'Redo' forge stone would be fun. Still be random have it do reroll on say +10 eb you wanted +20 so goes and 'does it' again, with good chance you'll end up with EB again heh!. Also, will still be hard since gotta find it as well (multiple times probably also) call it the Rainbow Forge Stone heeehe!
Capt Cliff wrote:
tropiofCancer wrote:I'm all for helping other players , I was replying to the idea of being able to remove properties .
driller was tried of all the uber gear before so making more uber gear probally not gonna happen, that is unless driller has changed his mind...
Mauric, Cervantes, Von Celer, Vicho Swift, Zod, Vex
wdpepsiman1
Commoner
Commoner

Post by wdpepsiman1 »

don't we have enough uber gear in here already...what is the fun in taking down a supposedly big mob with one char and uber gear...the idea is to use a party to do it...should the party be rewarded handsomely for taking out shalnath i think so.....

just saying
Roland Deschain
Duke
Duke

Post by Roland Deschain »

I don't really see how having a very costly way of removing properties from gear is going to create uber gear. I cant think of any item I have seen in the game that is, or will become with this change, any more powerful then the Amber Weapons some of us have. How many level 40's use anything other then a forged socketed items?

With the server on Hardcore there wont be anymore taking down shally with one character, especially with the immunities maxed at 35%. That isn't what I was going for with this suggestion. It was simply a way to make unique gear, not imbalanced gear. If I could think of any piece of gear that would become imbalanced with removing properties and then forging it I wouldn't have suggested this.
Roland Deschain
Alain Johnson
Cuthbert Allgood
Marten Broadcloak
Cort
Rarebru Balancebringer
Walter O' Dim
Sleepy
Feanara Telrunya
tropiofCancer
Count
Count

Post by tropiofCancer »

I can see things both ways . On the one side I like the idea of being able to remove the +1attack bonus from an otherwise cool drop . On the flip side I also know what the veteran forges will do w/ that ability . Like I was saying earlier , if you can remove the bad random effect and just recraft it before I leave the forge I'll have a weapon with +20 AB , 2d12 blud , 1d8 pierce , 1d6 sonic , keen , mass crits 2d12 , and holy avenger a perfect lvl 40 weapon , but that will be after I remove the +10 EB from the godly dwarven waraxe and add +20 AB( maybe some others to keep it 40). See where I'm going with this ? I got a weapon I found w/ extra mellee damage bludgeon that I got tucked away just in case Driller does do this , and if he does I got an amber weapon that is for sale . I'm not dead set against this idea at all , I just think it should be given some thought . I wholeheartedly agree with helping out players like Axe madnesss and others who had their gear ruined .