September 2010 Excerpt of: Legends of Talan'ith, Book 1: Fal

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

September 2010 Excerpt of: Legends of Talan'ith, Book 1: Fal

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

As many of you know, Jazelle and I have been working on a book for some time. Various ups and downs have caused a delay or three, but we are finally back on track to get this work fully completed. We recently released over two pages of excerpt on our Facebook page for the book. We hope you enjoy this excerpt and that you will take the time to 'friend' and 'like' us on Facebook.

Sorry that we could not provide the photo. The forum system can not get past Facebook to remote view and display the picture.

September 2010 Excerpt of: Legends of Talan'ith, Book 1: Fallen's Tale
As issued Wednesday, September 22, 2010 at 7:46pm via Facebook.

Book 1: Fallen’s Tale. Copyright © 2010 by Jazelle and Robert Hall. All rights reserved. Printed in the United States of America. No part of this book may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without written permission except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical articles and reviews. Contact information: Please visit the LoT Forums website at http://www.legendsoftalanith.com/.

This is a work of fiction. The characters, incidents, and dialogues are products of the author’s imaginations and not to be construed as real. Any resemblance to actual events or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

---

The young man found Justin trying to place a wet rag over the restless halfling’s bloody brow. Fallen was finally showing signs of life, but his features were still deathly grey. His movements were fitful like one in the tight grips of a deep fever. The young man’s arrival had clearly startled Justin.

“Your father said your friend had been hurt. My name is Malcolm, I am a student healer of the Blue Cord. Let me see what I can do.” He said with a tight smile and a look of professional concern. Relief was evident on Justin’s, face as he recognized the man was not a lay priest of Sharamones, but one of his healers.

“Good, I’ve no idea what to do. He just started moving and I think he’s got a fever. His head is hot, but ‘is arms are cold as snow.” Justin was having difficulty trying to keep Fallen from flailing about and possibly rolling into the fire.

Malcolm quickly crossed the room and paused briefly to rummage through a box on the table. He knelt down beside the straw mat placing the items from the box just out of reach of Fallen’s flaying form. From the box he had pulled out several items; including a small jar that he opened and placed under the halfling’s nose. Justin got a slight whiff of the pungent contents, causing him to stand up and step back. The effect on Fallen was instantaneous. Suddenly, he sat up and was coughing, fighting to breath as his hands tried to push the jar away.

“What’cha tryin’ ta do? Steal my breath with your potions?!” Fallen was finally able to mutter after clearing his lungs.

Malcolm chuckled as he put the lid back on the jar. He began a prayer chant, placing his hand on the halfling’s brow asking for Sharamones to grant him the blessing of healing. Fallen’s eyes crossed as he looked up at the man’s hand on his forehead with suspicion, but he knew enough not to move. He started to feel the tingle of the healer’s prayers being answered. By the time the young man took his hand away from Fallen’s forehead, the gash was healed leaving behind a thin scar and his burning fever was gone.

The halfling looked around and made no effort to disguise his confusion. “Justin, how’d we get here? Where’s Hugo an’ ‘em creatures? ‘Em things were everywhere! Where are we? Where’s the packs? Did ya lose our food? Wha’d ya’ll do wif my pack?” The halfling spoke quickly as his eyes searched around for the blacksmith fearing the worst.

“Calm down Fallen. Father is upstairs. He and the elven lass are keeping them things at bay with their arrows. The horse threw ya both. For a while there, I thought you were dead for sure. You’ve been out cold while father and I ran like hell ta get to this old tower. Your pack’s over yonder. It probably saved you.” Justin told him. He then pointed to the knapsack leaning against the table leg.

“Oh.” Was all Fallen could say in response. He looked around and wondered how long he had been knocked out before he crawled over and pulled his pack close. He began mumbling to himself as he rummaged through it.

“I think he’ll be fine now, just needs some rest.” Malcolm said then rubbed his eyes. “We all could use some rest, but it is going to be a long night, I fear. More so if those woodpiles give out. In any case, your father needs some rags and fuel for the brazier brought up to him in case Lyiera runs out of her enchanted arrows.”

“Lyiera?” Quipped Fallen as he looked up from inventorying his pack.

“Yes, she’s the ‘Elven Lass’.” Malcolm’s tone edged a bit hard as he used Justin’s choice of words. “She not only came to my aid, but yours as well. You just work on making it to morning and I will introduce you to her then.” As Malcolm spoke he seemed to relax and ended his short comment with a smile.

Justin gave Fallen a light pat on his shoulder, “You stay down here with Malcolm. I’ll get what they need and take‘em upstairs.” He gathered in his arms some of the old rags that were lying about along with a bundle of wood from the pile beside the fireplace.

“You don’t need ta tell me twice. I got no wish ta seen another undead thing as long as I live. And I hope that is a very long time – from now.” Fallen’s voice faltered on the last few words as he looked about the room. Boxes and crates were everywhere and to him it looked more like they were in a storage room than a tower. He began to wonder if it was a place that they could even defend by themselves.

Justin was satisfied that Fallen was in good hands. With a nod and a wink to the healer he ran upstairs. Fallen looked at Malcolm and in as chipper a tone as he could muster he asked the one question burning on his mind at that moment. “So, what’s there ta eat aroun’ ‘ere?”

Malcolm looked at the halfling in shock, and then started laughing and crying at the same time. Fallen was taken back and wondered if he was safe alone with this man who appeared to have just lost his mind.

“It was jus’ a simple question, nah need to go all ta pieces.” He said more as a sarcastic monologue to himself than to Malcolm. He began to wonder if things could get any worse.

His stomach growled in reply.

-----

We hope you enjoyed the 2010 September excerpt. Stay tuned for more news and more releases.