Quests

Post suggestions for improvements here.
life_is_good
Commoner
Commoner

Quests

Post by life_is_good »

I'd love for the quests to have alternative solutions other than slaying the bosses, i.e.

* The Den Mother can be persuaded into an arrangement with Hornrich so that he sets aside his ill or weakest cows for the wolves to feed on

* Perhaps Gorgo can be intimidated out of his spear

* The Urukai Chief can be bluffed into returning the Urn

These of course are just examples, but generally I'd like to see us all get out of the habit of just mindlessly slaying any creature we encounter.

Perhaps slaying them is still an option, but you get an added bonus for using your wits or other attributes.
Sapphire
Count
Count

Re: Quests

Post by Sapphire »

Interesting idea you have there, but would suggest this would need some intensive scripting. I would support any advance in this idea.

It certainly would give a more real feel to a quest and particularly the use of bluffing skill which is not used in most game play and rarely applied in form of RP.

Sapphire
life_is_good
Commoner
Commoner

Post by life_is_good »

Thanks for the acknowledgment. I know as much about scripting as I know about Cuniform (which would be zero), so I really don't know how labor intensive this would be. My basis for it is the Single Player campaign(s) where there is usually a multiple aspect possibility to solve the quest. A BSK example would be the Black Orc ship, where you can fight your way through or pay the gold (or just invis and ignore the whole thing - lol ) *spoiler alert* wopps, too late.

I'd be happy to provide some creative alternatives to each quest, or some quests, if someone is willing and able to implement them.

You know where to find me...
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

I actually have stuff like this already coded. It was in a PW I ran called The Waste. Some of you might remember it.
I will see what I can do about adding some of it in.

-driller
life_is_good wrote:I'd love for the quests to have alternative solutions other than slaying the bosses, i.e.

* The Den Mother can be persuaded into an arrangement with Hornrich so that he sets aside his ill or weakest cows for the wolves to feed on

* Perhaps Gorgo can be intimidated out of his spear

* The Urukai Chief can be bluffed into returning the Urn

These of course are just examples, but generally I'd like to see us all get out of the habit of just mindlessly slaying any creature we encounter.

Perhaps slaying them is still an option, but you get an added bonus for using your wits or other attributes.
Zeshannara
Baron
Baron

Post by Zeshannara »

Nice! I've always liked the ability to choose different ways about going about quest thus coming up with an entirely different ending.
Allanon Shannara
Bandiogar Shannara
Elranduri Shannara
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

So .... with high eough intimadation we can scare the Den Mother out of her skin?? 8)

To have the Uriki Orc Leader drop the Urn or Gorgo to drop his spear would be neat! But I think I'd still kill the bugger for being well a MONSTER!! :lol:

You might also want to make the quests level restricted. Meaning the Queen Beetle can only be done by level 8, Gorgo by 10th, Marvale by 20th ... etc. This stops the lvl 39 dude sweeping through the lowbie areas killing the bosses and stealing the chest goodies.
Sapphire
Count
Count

Post by Sapphire »

Capt Cliff wrote:So .... with high eough intimadation we can scare the Den Mother out of her skin?? 8)

To have the Uriki Orc Leader drop the Urn or Gorgo to drop his spear would be neat! But I think I'd still kill the bugger for being well a MONSTER!! :lol:

You might also want to make the quests level restricted. Meaning the Queen Beetle can only be done by level 8, Gorgo by 10th, Marvale by 20th ... etc. This stops the lvl 39 dude sweeping through the lowbie areas killing the bosses and stealing the chest goodies.
Nope don't like that idea at all, especially Marvale by level 20, jeeze you'd only get clerics and monks able to do it at all.

I'd prefer this not to happen on so many levels, bad idea Captain bad idea.

I like to do quests for when I have difficult times leveling dependant on current character class etc.. Some I do early because the class will always have it easy doing them others have to wait. Like the Marvale nutcase simply because it is impossible for them to even have a chance of success without being buffed to the nines by another.

If there was a vote on this I'd be wholey against it.

Sapphire
Deathsinger
Count
Count

Post by Deathsinger »

I agree with Sapphire. Sometimes the greatest joy at a higher level is helping a lower level do a tough quest. And the praise your higher level receives. I think it's IN CHARACTER to be able to go ask or hire a higher level character to do tough tasks for your lower level character. So, I would be against level restrictions on areas and quests as well.
Dan8145
Duke
Duke

Post by Dan8145 »

I'm all for lvl restrictions on quests. Why should you be able to get a book of town portal at any lvl? If we're going for balance on the server then we need to go all out :- hardcore is hardcore :-) sorry
Sapphire
Count
Count

Post by Sapphire »

Sorry Dan disagree with you there ...

If it was truely hard core then you'd not be allowed to buff lower level characters to do such quests, as this would be seen as metagaming.

Level 20 for something like Marvale staff would be out of reach for 2/3rds of all characters at the very least.

Sapphire
Dan8145
Duke
Duke

Post by Dan8145 »

Thats why we should have lvl restrictions on quests...so low level characters can't be buffed to complete them.
It makes very little difference to me anyway, I rarely do quests at the best of times.

A lot of quests are dependant on what classes you take. Some can do the Marvale staff quite early, others not so. I used to do quests in relation do my build. And in the end all those quests are good for is getting to Shally anyway...and whose gonna try him now? ^^

I've been down there, it's nasty.
Deathsinger
Count
Count

Post by Deathsinger »

I was thinking it was still a RP server. So, my answers were based on in character asking a more powerful character for help in a quest. Didn't know Hard Core overruled Rp. If so, then yeah a mystical ban could be set saying shop keepers refuse to sell to characters based on level and such (town portals). I still would prefer RP logic be used in the server world.
Axe Madness
Duke
Duke

Post by Axe Madness »

well i don't quest anymore i however used to.. that being said... level restrictions could be a cool idea all those against it don't focus on the ''example'' level 20 no reason to shit a brick at that example. the server being hardcore and therefor should be restrictions as said now thats interesting i dunno if i follow..? another brings up a good point if its hardcore why are buffs acceptable?

some things are just over the top for some people and take away from what is known as simply the ''Fun Factor" while i think removing the respawn button and introducing perma kill for dieing vs a monster or player if you cannot be saved by another would be a fun thing and all for it used to it already anyway :mrgreen: there are draw backs to such things example if you die crash your character is by default and legally dead by the rule. i play on a interesting server that uses it and if you die/crash you go to a your dead area requires super rare item that is used at a place off the beaten path to get the dead person(s) back via portal and its used purely at the players desecration. so being a dick in that environment can be just as fun but who's gana save you should it catch up to you 8)

all that noise being said it really depends what type of people play here at the new bsk whether or not they are truly hardcore or not and of course how hardcore the owner(s) would like there play thing to be. if you got a tough crowd you can have a wicked hard server and they'll eat it up if you don't have that so much well it can still be fun. 8)
Mauric, Cervantes, Von Celer, Vicho Swift, Zod, Vex
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

Perma-death is an interesting proposition. But you'd need to limit it to lvl 40's. If a guy die's you have to get a rescue mission together to retrieve what's left of his body. I think old D&D rules was a single bone is enough. The problem then becomes if the area you have to go to is SO dangerous that people won't risk it or the place would be overrun with dead bodies.

If you really want perm-death rules .. join the Army and go to Afghanistan.
Axe Madness
Duke
Duke

Post by Axe Madness »

Capt Cliff wrote:Perma-death is an interesting proposition. But you'd need to limit it to lvl 40's. If a guy die's you have to get a rescue mission together to retrieve what's left of his body. I think old D&D rules was a single bone is enough. The problem then becomes if the area you have to go to is SO dangerous that people won't risk it or the place would be overrun with dead bodies.

If you really want perm-death rules .. join the Army and go to Afghanistan.
pretty much. :mrgreen: some things are only fun to some people
Mauric, Cervantes, Von Celer, Vicho Swift, Zod, Vex