town crier

Post suggestions for improvements here.
arwan
Count
Count

town crier

Post by arwan »

i think the town crier could use a few more options for when someone uses him for trading services..

like one for want to sell weapons or sell armor, or want to buy weapons or armor etc. the way it is now. it is so vague that while i have seen it a few times being used i always pay it no mind as i have no idea what is ment by it.. do they want to buy something sell something.. something particular.. since they cant "shout it" it ends up going in my ok thats nice but its probably a waste of time for me to care folder. so i never show up or use it. even though i do have things i have collected for the sole purpose to sell to other players.

the bulletin board is a nice concept and i have read it once.. but i dont ever see it where it is so i never check it.. if that were near the oak tree in a main traffic area i think people could use that more as well for sales etc. but its in an out of the way place where it is. so it ends up out of sight out of mind.

what does the community think

could the town crier use some more options for "trade of services" and could the bulletin board be moved to a high traffic area?
Deathsinger
Count
Count

Re: town crier

Post by Deathsinger »

The bulletin board on BSK2 was done nicely, I think.
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

The Bulletin Board by City Hall works fine too for BSK1!
arwan
Count
Count

Post by arwan »

how often do you pass that place.. really.. there are no shops directly past it. it is not near the main fair. personally ... i pass it.. once every time i want to turn in a quest there.. and then i don't really see it anyway since i never see it at all..

in the time the game has been up.. there is all of 3 posts on it.. for all the people on BSK1.. i think that speaks volumes on it..
Mask-inc
Duke
Duke

Post by Mask-inc »

....Funny how i pass in front of the board all the time, oh wait, must be because i am using the temple portal book and not the portal scroll, how dumb of me to do so, i get to see the bulletin board all the time...*whistle*

Thanks

Mask
**Master Halaster Blackcloak, Los Illuminados Alianza Grand Master**

Minion- Impling
Sir Del Goodman- Exile from Starkson Protectorate
Karthak Strongarms- Slayer of Undead
Rikus Strongarms- Grand Scythe Master
Lomnek Strongarms- Dwarven Tank
arwan
Count
Count

Post by arwan »

and you must also be going the longest possible way around the map.. as from the temple the shops are easiest to get to by going along the north pass and then south.. while if you go south out of the temple you then have to turn west to hit the basic shops and then turn north.. to hit the others.. thus traversing 75% of the map before you may get to where your going. instead of 25%.

and still... i think it could use a higher traffic area. so it could be used more effectively.

so im not saying you mask don't go past it all the time.. but i do believe that most people don't.. after all you have the way point vogons foxmores the oak tree thieves guild and that other shop of which i cant remember its name. all right there in one area of the keep map. and i do tend to see a lot of people using that north corodor to move between the gate the temple and all the shops.. that's all i am saying... and i would think that would get the sign some more usage..
shadowflame
Count
Count

Post by shadowflame »

you have a point arwan but you have to understand alot of these folks are veteran players, that bulletin board is there since dot, so i understand the veterans point of view too.
OrionNebula
Axe Madness
Duke
Duke

Post by Axe Madness »

i use board all the time also and doesn't take any real time to do it.
steps as follows!

leave temple/ walk to board/ read board/ walk toward city gates/ turn right/ your at BSK main portal gate thingie/turn again big ass tree/ pawn shop etc etc.

ah so that rambling old man i see over there is just Halaster plotting again is he... [-X

usage of said board will increase as items become available again and if when guild activity resumes and then finally the awesome please kill so n so for X amount of gold posts my personal favorites those ones.
:twisted:

-Vex
Mauric, Cervantes, Von Celer, Vicho Swift, Zod, Vex
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

*points up* Yeah what Axe said ... :wink: :lol: =D>

An now for something completely different .... That parrot is dead ... No it ain't it's asleep ...
Fenrip
Duke
Duke

Post by Fenrip »

arwan wrote: .. since they cant "shout it" it ends up going in my ok thats nice but its probably a waste of time for me to care folder. so i never show up or use it. even though i do have things i have collected for the sole purpose to sell to other players.
~smacks forehead~

This is what tells are for. When ever I see that pop up I send a tell as simple as this "Buying or selling?" This usually gets a response and a short exchange of tells OR I actually go to the area and RP it out.

No one wants to see that exchange over the shout channel. I cannot believe that you have items collected for the express purpose of trading and you do not because you cannot use the shout channel.
arwan wrote: the bulletin board is a nice concept and i have read it once.. but i dont ever see it where it is so i never check it.. if that were near the oak tree in a main traffic area i think people could use that more as well for sales etc. but its in an out of the way place where it is. so it ends up out of sight out of mind.
It is practically outside the door of the temple and not significantly out of the way. Now if you are making the trek to Vogon's while you are heavily encumbered because you are a clutter bug running a DEXer, I understand. Otherwise, take a moment to smell the flowers, read a sign, and then backtrack for about 3 seconds (hasted) to travel across the top of the map.
My memory used to be better. Also, my memory used to be better.
arwan
Count
Count

Post by arwan »

and pessimism rules i see i picture people holding up protest signs that say no change. even if it makes things simplified.

and im sure tells are easy enough when you are asking whats being sold.. sure.. but im not talking about that direction of information.. im talking about the outgoing. not the incoming.

of course im sure you probably would just /t everyone on the server

thought i would take a page from your book
Fenrip
Duke
Duke

Post by Fenrip »

arwan wrote: im talking about the outgoing. not the incoming.

EXACTLY!!!

And I do that by using the town crier and picking the trade option. Then anyone interested can send me a tell or come and see me in person and the rest of the server does not have to listen to it all. That is how I unload the items I hoard for the purpose of selling.
arwan wrote: thought i would take a page from your book
Good to see.
Fenrip
Duke
Duke

Post by Fenrip »

arwan wrote:and pessimism rules i see i picture people holding up protest signs that say no change. even if it makes things simplified.
People responded to your call to the communuity. Some were not in agreement with you. That is not pessimism. Pessimism would be responses like "that will never work." Sure, what you are saying will put the bulletin board in your preferred pathway through the keep. I just do not see the current location as an inconvenience and would rather driller work on any bugs or enhancements to other areas.

IMO, the set up brings a bit of realism to the keep and encourages going to different areas. Taking your suggestion to ridiculous heights, why not put Foxmore, Vogon, Harvey, Gleanna, the Warden, and the town crier at separate tables in the Maiden and move the portal room upstairs.

Simpler is not necessiarily better.
arwan
Count
Count

Post by arwan »

Fenrip wrote:
arwan wrote: im talking about the outgoing. not the incoming.

EXACTLY!!!

And I do that by using the town crier and picking the trade option. Then anyone interested can send me a tell or come and see me in person and the rest of the server does not have to listen to it all. That is how I unload the items I hoard for the purpose of selling.
arwan wrote: thought i would take a page from your book
Good to see.
ahh proof of concept.. i already thought you were a bit of an ass hole.. the way you responded here was exactly what i thought you would do. :) thanks for my proof.
arwan
Count
Count

Post by arwan »

Fenrip wrote: People responded to your call to the communuity. Some were not in agreement with you. That is not pessimism. Pessimism would be responses like "that will never work." Sure, what you are saying will put the bulletin board in your preferred pathway through the keep. I just do not see the current location as an inconvenience and would rather driller work on any bugs or enhancements to other areas.

IMO, the set up brings a bit of realism to the keep and encourages going to different areas. Taking your suggestion to ridiculous heights, why not put Foxmore, Vogon, Harvey, Gleanna, the Warden, and the town crier at separate tables in the Maiden and move the portal room upstairs.

Simpler is not necessiarily better.
now see. this.. this here is actually an example of a responce.. that could be considered a non ass hole response. i think it a shame you had to come back for a second post for it. but. heck im doing 2 posts in a row to so. meh.

just thought i would share. as i probably wont be around what so ever in any way for a fairly long time.. so i wont get any responces to this.. so... if you respond to these.. your.. really.. not talking to me.. just thought i would say.

and my not being around has nothing to do with the forums or server.. but other real life events.