Shout Channel

Post suggestions for improvements here.
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Shout Channel

Post by Capt Cliff »

The shout channel used to be disabled on old BSK1. Be nice to disable it again. It's being used for metagaming. [-X
arwan
Count
Count

Re: Shout Channel

Post by arwan »

personally i have not seen any abuse of shout.. most i saw it used was when kris kringle was around.. and other than that mostly i see things like.. server is going to reset in 3 minutes etc. things that are in general info you would want to tell everyone...
Fenrip
Duke
Duke

Post by Fenrip »

I have seen it a bit but not seen metagaming. And let's be honest, tells and party chatter will always be used for metagaming. At least in shout, it is not a sneaky sneak thing.

The shouts I have seen are harmless jackassery things. Annoying to some, sure. To others, not so much -- even funny.

The difference is that you can get away from RP or other general jackassery that you don't like. You cannot escape the shouts. Tells or shouts back to the shouting party have the potential to tick them off. This leads to stupid decisions and asshattery that I'd rather avoid. As we all know jackassery and asshattery can know no bounds and two chuckle heads (or groups of chuckle heads) facing off can create an environment I don't want to be in. I come here for fun, not playground arguments.

If I had a vote, I would say to turn shout off for the masses and leave it to the DMs for global server announcements.
My memory used to be better. Also, my memory used to be better.
Dan8145
Duke
Duke

Post by Dan8145 »

Cappy is referring to someone offering a quest item using the shout channel. Not so much metagaming but...not really how we roll.
Mask-inc
Duke
Duke

Post by Mask-inc »

Personally, i say turn off the Shout channel for all players. You want to chat with other players, join a party. You want to be raise from the death, don't use that channel, join a party or send a tell. In fact, shouting as a way of make me mad, either send a private tell or speak in party chat. My hands almost end up shaking and the need to load my PPer come as a big urge when i hear a shout, you've been warn.... :twisted: :evil: :lol:

Thanks

Mask
**Master Halaster Blackcloak, Los Illuminados Alianza Grand Master**

Minion- Impling
Sir Del Goodman- Exile from Starkson Protectorate
Karthak Strongarms- Slayer of Undead
Rikus Strongarms- Grand Scythe Master
Lomnek Strongarms- Dwarven Tank
shadowflame
Count
Count

Post by shadowflame »

Well yesterday i actually seen someone using the shout channel to beg for a rez, they were repeating the shout each time mentioning they were dead in the waste behind a wagon.

someone mentioned that using the shout channel was inapropiate for such actions, then the person who used the shout channel pretended he didnt realise he was even using the shout channel. it was comical.
OrionNebula
arwan
Count
Count

Post by arwan »

i can defenitly see why he would use it though.. as when your dead you cant click anything. and if your not in a party.. well.. pray you know someones name exactly who is online or you are cut off from the outside world LOL.
Deathsinger
Count
Count

Post by Deathsinger »

Yeah THAT'S one major thing I hated about death n NWN1 no interface just lay there.... cause face it, some of these names are hard to get right WITH a list up let alone without it. LOL.
Fenrip
Duke
Duke

Post by Fenrip »

Find a friend, have vogon hold yer money, join a party, learn how to send tells when deadified, write down names, and/or *queue dramatic music* respawn and go get yer rotting carcass.

Yes, I know it sucks.
My memory used to be better. Also, my memory used to be better.
shadowflame
Count
Count

Post by shadowflame »

Fenrip wrote:Find a friend, have vogon hold yer money, join a party, learn how to send tells when deadified, write down names, and/or *queue dramatic music* respawn and go get yer rotting carcass.

Yes, I know it sucks.
Couldn't have put it better myself^^
OrionNebula
shadowflame
Count
Count

Post by shadowflame »

arwan wrote:i can defenitly see why he would use it though.. as when your dead you cant click anything. and if your not in a party.. well.. pray you know someones name exactly who is online or you are cut off from the outside world LOL.
Im sorry but what he did was metagaming and is sneered upon by those of us who like to play withing the rules.

If your in party and you die, its different, but to blatently use the shout chanel asking for a rez is a high form of metagaming imho.
OrionNebula
Caesius
Duke
Duke

Post by Caesius »

Asking to be raised from the dead in party channel is more discreet than using the shout channel. But if none of the party members are physically present when you die it's hard to give an adequate in-game reason to explain a) how did they know you are dead? and b) where did they know to look for your corpse?

Some people like to use the Party Channel as a kind telepathic bond for coordinating combat efforts over long distances. A reasonable goal I suppose, but still it kind of trivializes the whole idea of ESP.
The only constant is change.
DM Centaur
Commoner
Commoner

Post by DM Centaur »

The shout channel is being abused somewhat.
I would like to see less use of it. If the abuse continues ..... well, I'll let your own imaginations work on this one.

Centaur
Deathsinger
Count
Count

Post by Deathsinger »

Perhaps it could have stipulations (like another game I am on now) where it says, "You are dead and cannot do this action", when a dead character's player tries to use the shout channel. IF that is possible to script in.
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

Turn it off!! Telling the whole server that there is a portal to Shrine #3 rune stone for free xp is pain wrong. Also calling out that your leaving for Akon's shop. An my favorite is calling out that you have town portal books for sale and the price is 1 forge stone!! [-X

An Centaur ... Please give'm a whiff of grape ... [-o<