new quest idea

Post suggestions for improvements here.
arwan
Count
Count

new quest idea

Post by arwan »

i was playing a bit last night and had an idea for a quest that would sound seriously silly and seem only for low starter level characters to start. but need an epic level character to finish. essentially the whole quest you would be looking for a kitty. i have imagined you would get it from an old lady on blackstone keep road near one of those houses. this quest would be good for the tracker type of character IE druid or ranger. as there tracking skill might be able to help them. get better clues.

the lady would tell you of her beautiful orange cat that she cant find.. she has looked in all the trees and such but can not find it and needs an adventurer to find her kitty for her. and that is where you come in. being a low level adventurer and just starting your career what better way to start than with something simple... right.. MUAHAHAHA. well my idea is that it turns into a string of quests. the first one can be completed right in the same area as the old lady. i have noticed there is a giant spider that spawns in that area from time to time.. thank you ranger :) and kitty might have had a run in with said spider. and said spider may drop a clue. (AKA book) that tells you it looks like it had a very bad run in with a small animal with claws.. that look like they could belong to a kitty cat. upon further investigation this spider looks like it may have come from a cave due to mold growing on its back ( you would get this if you had a few points in survival) if you didn't have enough points in survival or none at all you would still see the claw marks but not know where the spider came from on your own and you may not know they are the marks of a small cat. just a clawed animal. so once you have this clue you take it to the old lady that will reward you with a mild reward suitable for a lower level character and she will remember a lot of adventurers passing her heading north speaking of having to get some spider sac or something. and that you may want to look there.( if you got the better clue ) or that she doesn't know where else to look except that kitty was always chasing spiders if that's any help (if you didn't have the survival)

upon investigating the caves. (probably the opposite side as the other quest) you stumble upon an area smeared with blood.. not thinking to much about this at first with the size of these spiders they could kill a full sized cow or worse. but then you stumble upon a collar and realize that this was no spiders doing because upon further investigation you see all manor of scratch marks all over the walls and floor. it would seem kitty has a bad temperament and doesn't like things other than the old lady. i imagine this could be completed with a scripted area that only triggers after you have the quest. and would give you a duologue pop up that at the end of it would give you an item in your inventory for the old lady. when you get back to the old lady she becomes flustered and seems about to faint and she spills the beans on the cat. she knew it had a bad temperament and that you may not come back alive but she had to try anyway. after all she was old she couldn't go out there looking for the thing not with the dangers around. so she now does not know where you could look but implores you to keep your eyes open anyway for any hint of her pretty kitty. and you agree being the hero adventurer type.. as long as the hazard pay is worth it.. and it better be. dang crazy cat.

the next place you could find a clue for the cat would be the beetle cave next to the second shrine a char with a fairly good survival skill say 10 at least would notice kitty tracks that are fairly fresh entering the cave. and exiting the cave many times. and some look days old while others are maybe only hours old. once you are inside the cave you could see a cat in the distance. (have one spawn in within visual range of the character and hiss with passion) when the PC approaches the animal it could run off to a predetermined area in the cave and spawn out. kitty disappeared into a small opening and you cant follow it so you get a journal update to let the old lady you think you know where her cat is. and to let her know.. when you get back to her she is thrilled. and asks you where her kitty is.. you tell her and she says... no... you were superposed to be getting me my kitty not telling me where so i can get her. and she tells you to get back there and get the kitty. when you come back characters with a decent survival skill will no doubt notice that the cat took off right after you left and headed into the woods but you lost the trail once you got to ebonwoods. characters without enough survival would go back and notice the cat is gone but not where to. as you lost the trail after you got out of the cave. (oh well so much for an easy mission. this cat will be the death of me i just know it.)

the next clue is in the temple in ebonwoods the temple to lia. in the first room there is a foul smell like poop. a high survival person (say 15 by now) will recognize the smell as cat poop and think of that little hell raiser they have been looking for. and then have enough to go back to the old lady with this new info.. but knowing she only wants the cat you cant expect much.. but your determined to get SOMETHING for your efforts up to this point. if you didn't have the survival skill to get the message that said you knew it was cat poop just that it smells bad you can ask the priest at the end of the temple about the smell and she will tell you that she had seen a cat around the temple recently and tried to shew it away with a broom and pulled back a stub of a broom. you of course laugh at this how could a house cat do such a thing. even so with this testimony you are determined to get some coin out of the old lady for having looked for her cat this long. you believe you deserve SOMETHING. so now both the survival character and non survival character go back to the old lady and report there findings.. that they think her cat at one point took up residence in lia's temple but is no longer there and now you want to be paid or your not looking anymore. the old lady stubbornly agrees but not before giving you an ear full about chivalry. you politely remind her that chivalry would have been getting her cat out of a tree.. this is a full fledged investigation and that is a paid service. ( a mild xp reward could also be nice here for having stumbled upon these clues)

your next clue would be in the minotaur area ( i forgot its name) with snort. to the east of the rocks at the north of the map (north east corner) the survival character notices that a short hair cat has been sleeping here for quite some time and fines a lot of small animal bones around the area. judging by the decay you would venture that some are only a day old and you see fresh tracks north. the non survival person finds a virtual grave yard of small animal bones.. you know cats eat small rodents. but you have no idea how old these are or where the animal that ate them is now. (take your clue back to the old lady to keep her informed about where her cat may be.) when the old lady hears about this. she gets very worried. she has herd from old adventures of the very dangerous creatures living up there. something about trees that can walk and dragons. but your to busy trying to just keep moving to listen to her old wise tails. trees that can walk.. PUH LEESE.

your next clue ( there sure are a lot of these. and DANG how far is this cat going anyway.) im telling you this cat is going to be the death of you. HA HA HA. so next clue is at the foot of the dragon mountain. a survival and non survival character notices a lot of short hair in a small area at the foot of the mountain as if some small animal got into a very bad fight. and there is a LOT of blood in the area as well. the survival person (say 20 ranks or more) will know this is dragonkin blood and that the hair is a domestic short hair cat.. but how can that happen. the non survival character is kind of surprised by the amount of blood as there are not many things that have that much of it. and what is with the short orange hair. it kind of looks like cat hair. take your clue back to the old lady for a mild reward. and continue the hunt for the cat.. dead or.. alive.. probably foaming at the mouth by now.

next clue is in the jungle ( pick a place LOL i have not been able to venture past the transition in area so i don't know much about the area.)the survival person, you notice a lot of dead snakes in one area. and they look like they have been eaten. or played with. could that cat seriously still be alive HERE!?!?. the non survival person. you notice a lot of snake small snake skins and they have been mangled by a small animal. go on tell the old lady LOL. like she will even believe you now.. I'm sure she has given up on her poor kitty by now as well.

finally we come to the end of our hunt for little kitty cat in the next area after the jungle you will come across kitty. aww the poor little unsuspecting thing. the survival person will know that its a fierce killer and will likely be in for the fight of there LIFE to try and subdue the creature. the non survival person will likely walk right up to it and die. LOL. at any rate. when the cat sees you it attacks this time after it hisses at you. this cat should be able to put up a seriously hard battle with even the most hardened level 30 character. it should not be to much a stretch for it to kill the hero. a group should be seriously considered for this task. once you battle the cat to death it has a drop. its a cat that is exhausted.. you didn't really kill it. just knocked it out.. cant get paid for a dead cat. you take the cat back to the old lady and she is ecstatic she had written the little guy off as dead. but she got her little rat hunter back the cute little thing.. wouldn't hurt a fly.. nuh uh.. wittle fluffy kitty... your totally surprised the cat doesn't rip the old ladies head off.. and let her know it to. with the fight you just went threw you think she deserves to know what fluffy there is capable of. she of course doesn't believe you and thinks your just stretching the facts.. but she doesn't care much.. your reward a bag with more gold than you thought possible. and a nice XP gift to. for those who were able to do it before level 30 that would be nice ( i was thinking this should probably be a higher reward than the other quests as it should have spanned your entire career up to this point. and you should not have gotten much from her earlier.) you dust yourself off count your good blessings that your alive and have all your fingers and toes and go on your way.. hoping to NEVER have to find that cat again.
shadowflame
Count
Count

Re: new quest idea

Post by shadowflame »

Nice idea, though i think most hardline adventurers would feel looking for a kitty would be beneath them. perhaps change the kitty for a human child and all would take up swords to complete the quest hehe
OrionNebula
arwan
Count
Count

Post by arwan »

if you make it a human child then it wont fit right. the target has to be something so unassuming and helpless but capable of survival on its own. and a human child just doesn't have the ability to survive on its own. plus you have a higher level of interaction with a child that would end the quest earlier

plus haven't you ever seen the taboo of saving the cat in a tree LOL
Deathsinger
Count
Count

Post by Deathsinger »

LOL. Well "I" would look for the damn cat! And when I couldn't find it I would search EVEN harder LOL! Sounds like the quest on BG where you look for the man's pet. LOL! Alas *sighs* another low level quest. I'm waiting for THAT Epic quest to come along.....will it ever?
arwan
Count
Count

Post by arwan »

this is epic LOL.. it should span from your lower level to your upper levels. unless you have uber help.

that being said the cat should have some serious skills so people cant just cheat it. LOL. like see invisibility

i got inspiration for this quest from a few place.

one.. naruto.. yea yea.. but in one of the first episodes there hunting a cat down to give it to a lady who lost it.. and the cat is MEAN as heck.. but not to the lady.

another was just the taboo thing you always see the fireman saving the kitten in the tree.

and another was from the movie Monty Python & the Quest for the Holy Grail in particular the scene with the killer bunny.
shadowflame
Count
Count

Post by shadowflame »

isnt the whole "plz get my kitty back" quest kinda already done elsewhere?...TFR & BG have similar quests on there servers. And id like to se the kitty that could wonder all the way to Yuanti's without losing all its nine lives hehe
OrionNebula
arwan
Count
Count

Post by arwan »

imagination man. you got to use it.. and i don't play on those servers.

inspiration.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg

you just wish you had this to take care of the cat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOrgLj9lOwk

and when i first saw the zone bridge of doom i thought this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpx6XnankZ8
Deathsinger
Count
Count

Post by Deathsinger »

LOL DAMN! I forgot how funny monty can be! LOL! Ahhh on second thought I think I'll leave that cat to Sphevious to deal with.