Trolls

Post suggestions for improvements here.
StarChild
Count
Count

Trolls

Post by StarChild »

This is my last gripe for the week.

Trolls are ridiculously hard for the amount of xp Really three hits and a lvl 14 character is dead. Not to mention that if you manage to kill one you get 25xp. I'm not saying i want the trolls to be as easy as they were on bsk1. That troll cave was a joke to many players and an easy camping ground. I'm just saying make it make sense. If they are so ultra powerful and can only be killed with acid and fire then make it a lvl 20 and up area with the xp to match. lets not even talk about the 100 electrical dmg chest trap.

As a side note i noticed the tyranoids are now disarming the hell out of people. while extremely incoveniant I like this touch. Now i have to think of new ways to kill them.
AVAILABLE NOW!! Live Their Lives. Walk Their Adventures. Join Them...
http://TheDa-MaiSaga.webs.com
Nottingham
Count
Count

Re: Trolls

Post by Nottingham »

I was going to post about trolls myself.

Fire or acid is not needed to kill them. I have been avoiding them because I did not have any fire, but I found some--not Gank's Spear--and so I go to kill one, and behold, I do not need to switch to a fire or acid weapon. On BK2 before, fire or acid was needed to deliverr the killing blow, and I thought this was a nice touch. You also had to pass through them to reach a tougher part of the world.

I also think it is a interesting making them low xp and tough, making it all the harder to get just one head from the leader of the pack, let alone a few if you are in a party. With all of the DR, killing him is a bugger. I have not done it yet. I decided to wait for a party. For some creatures, it just should be not worth it to go out and fight them, unless you have to. But perhaps someone in town could really hate trolls and want to collect their charred remains for 10 gp each or something. Then later this evil wizard could attempt to make a troll army out of the body parts.
"Man must be forced to be free." Thomas Hobbes
twin_snakes
Count
Count

Post by twin_snakes »

StarChild wrote:This is my last gripe for the week.

Trolls are ridiculously hard for the amount of xp Really three hits and a lvl 14 character is dead. Not to mention that if you manage to kill one you get 25xp. I'm not saying i want the trolls to be as easy as they were on bsk1. That troll cave was a joke to many players and an easy camping ground. I'm just saying make it make sense. If they are so ultra powerful and can only be killed with acid and fire then make it a lvl 20 and up area with the xp to match. lets not even talk about the 100 electrical dmg chest trap.

As a side note i noticed the tyranoids are now disarming the hell out of people. while extremely incoveniant I like this touch. Now i have to think of new ways to kill them.
Sorry but WHY would you be happy that tyranoids are disarming characters? Like seriously, that makes no sense other than trying to get on driller's good side to convince him to make trolls easier.

I will say though, many things are way to hard on the server especially considering there has been no new gear or items added.
Nottingham
Count
Count

Post by Nottingham »

Too hard compared to what? Perhaps some areas are too easy. It all depends on the vision of the creator. If this is a low magic tough monster world, that is more than balanced by the use of town portal scrolls and other portal systems.
twin_snakes
Count
Count

Post by twin_snakes »

Nottingham wrote:Too hard compared to what? Perhaps some areas are too easy. It all depends on the vision of the creator. If this is a low magic tough monster world, that is more than balanced by the use of town portal scrolls and other portal systems.
LOL you have to be kidding. It is still way to hard for many classes. Some are just down right useless. Where do you buy these town portal scrolls? Last time I checked they didn't exist.
tlantl
Baron
Baron

Post by tlantl »

Off subject I know but...

If a creature gets a bab of +16 I should be able to get my armor bonus at least that high to avoid being sent to the temple repeatedly. If we can't get decent gear to help us to stay alive then the areas are too hard. I mean we had a total party kill going into that troll cave which I would guess is supposed to be on par with the ogres that share the area. We were all 10 -12 level, but we had not a chance at all. My ac was 33 yet I was beat down in seconds. With xp as dear as it is dying like that is frustrating in the extreme.

I like an easy romp on occasion but since I get no loot from anything that gives less than 50 xp it isn't economical to waste all of my coin on healing and buff potions and scrolls to fight ogres, say for 29 xp each. Only high hit point, high armor class characters even have a chance in many areas. Even then a party is a must to survive. Hard is fun but if it is all you have then it burns you out quickly.

I'll try the trolls again next year, when I have reached 21st level. (That is if they fix the epic character bug)
Nottingham
Count
Count

Post by Nottingham »

I must confess, at level 13, I was chopped down by one Minotaur last night. I had him near death, but I ended up being nearer to death than he was. I also hacked on the troll leader for a while, but I was more than half dead when he was maybe 10% down at best--more likely 5%--and because I saw where that encounter was going, I headed out through a portal.

I guess I like to feel like I earn levels. It feels that way here. I accecpt that some of the areas might be too hard; I just don't want it to become too easy.

I just assuemed the Town Portal Books were filled with scrolls written in the common language. Maybe they should disapear after 10 uses.
Caesius
Duke
Duke

Post by Caesius »

I don't think the trolls need to be weaker as much as they need to be worth more experience. Otherwise the area may end up getting few visitors. Maybe that was the objective of the design though I do not know that for sure.
The only constant is change.
StarChild
Count
Count

Post by StarChild »

Actually i wasn't saying that to get on Drillers good side. After all these years i'm not sure if Driller has a good side :lol: When you really think about all of my posts here it would seem like I'm actually trying to get on Driller's bad side because I gripe more than damn near everyone.

When I said what I said about disarm I meant it was nice to see an actual obstacle to overcome other than the typical. Thus far all we have seen is bugbears trolls and forest giants that hit waaaaaay to damn hard for the xp they shell out. There are other ways to make an area hard other than making the creature itself impossible for a lvl 15 character to kill for 29 xp. Adding thing like disarm, traps that actually have to be avoided instead of walked through (ie goblins), etc.

One of the BSK 2 areas that actually exemplifies this the most is the pixies. The creatures arent too hard for the lvl char that is supposed to be there. It yields xp perfect for the lvl character. So whats the challenge. Da da da da daaaah daaaaaaaaaaah. The challenge is when you go in there with a party you will have a high chance of being so confused that your party has to run from you. Even worse is being confused and entangled at the same time (which has happened to me on several occasions). So yes I like the fact that there is an obstacle you have to over come but when you kill a tyranooid they dont give a measely 29 xp like an ogre would at same lvl. In otherwords the xp matches the difficulty without being owned in 2 hits like the trolls.

There are all types of status affects in game that are perfect for creatures to have that does not mean they'll beat you down by hitting you twice but you have to hit them 9 times to get them to near death. I mean look at it... there's fatigue, slow, Bigbys, confusion, feeble, daze, flare, disarmed, knocked down, greased, fear, demoralized, laughter, taunted, parried, dispelled, bewildered, darkened, silenced, held, charmed (who wouldnt want to fight for the other guy lol), fogged, dirged, drowned (in actual water not the spell), pit falls, diseased, contagioned, element damaged, doomed, sleep, paralized, deafness, cursed, summons, glyphs, dehydrated, dismissed, poisoned, webbed, entangled. swarmed, surrounded by invisible creatures forcing you to use spells and lamps to reveal them, despaired, vamiric touched, size reduced, pushed... etc.

I actually was part of a pnp campaign where the dm did not believe in killing the players. However he strongly believed in removing them from battle by use of status, magic, and surroundings. It was just as hard to play, just as fun, but lo and behold it required more strategy. So I say again Disarm is a nice addition to the game to make you think. Having bugbears and trolls that deliver 40 dmg per hit but give 29 xp is not. I'm still making 82 xp per kill in the tyranoid camp. I hope I made this a little clearer for people. You can use any of the things I just named to create a formidable opponant. Trolls can deal disease, Give minotaurs some druid/ranger nature spells but for Kazra's sake lower the dmg dealt! It would make us think more about strategy rp builds than stormlord cleric builds. Hence the reason Wynter is now a stormlord cleric instead of my original plan.
AVAILABLE NOW!! Live Their Lives. Walk Their Adventures. Join Them...
http://TheDa-MaiSaga.webs.com
Nottingham
Count
Count

Post by Nottingham »

Disarm sounds fun until a rare or expensive magical weapon is lost. It will happen. The server will crash, the item will be put somewhere where it cannot be retrieved, so on and so forth.
tlantl
Baron
Baron

Post by tlantl »

Eventually I imagine we'd get some rare and expensive magics to worry about losing.
I hope we do.
Kind of hard to disarm a crossbow.
or a spell.
or a quince hurler, if there were quince hurlers.

Moral:
Keep away from the disarm spamming beasties.

Even if by some quirk of fate, the worst that can happen is someone has to mourn the loss of his +1d4 electrical damage kukri of slaughter and needs to find another enchanting stone. Then maybe pray that it gives the electrical damage bonus the other weapon had.
Last edited by tlantl on Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
KuttingKew
Baron
Baron

Post by KuttingKew »

Nottingham wrote:

I just assuemed the Town Portal Books were filled with scrolls written in the common language. Maybe they should disapear after 10 uses.
Heaps curses down upon you for this. After spending over 8k to obtain a book, I now find the purchase value is one eighth, & has been reduced from unlimited to 10 uses. May scorpions infest your nether regions for ever more
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

8K? You mean about 900gp. The price has ben reduced to around 500gp.

-driller
KuttingKew wrote:
Nottingham wrote:

Heaps curses down upon you for this. After spending over 8k to obtain a book, I now find the purchase value is one eighth, & has been reduced from unlimited to 10 uses. May scorpions infest your nether regions for ever more
KuttingKew
Baron
Baron

Post by KuttingKew »

My error on the original price. But I'm proud of the curse.. so it still stands :p
(still annoying though to lose an unlimited use item... )
driller wrote:8K? You mean about 900gp. The price has ben reduced to around 500gp.

-driller
KuttingKew wrote:
Nottingham wrote:

tlantl
Baron
Baron

Post by tlantl »

I actually like the 10 shot portal books. I never liked instant travel for all any time for the price of an amulet of natural armor.

If the portal books were one shot for 500gp then people would need to alter their strategies for escaping dangerous or deep areas. I wouldn't complain if this were to happen.