The Centurion Company

Use this forum for In Character Interactions only.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

As they walked into the dwelling, weapons at the ready, they heard a voice accented by an abundance of the letter s.

"Sssstrangerssss. You have tressssspassssed on my land," A tyranoid folded out of the darkness of the hut, comfortably holding rapiers that glistened with the green acid blood of the tyranoids. "And now you will pay the conssssequencssssessss!"

Kel did not have time to prepare his shield, the lizard attacked so quickly. Kel's shield arm was rendered useless as a jab from one of the rapiers pierced the collection of nerves in his left collarbone.

As Kel readied his blade for the next attack, the tyanoid ignored him and turned on Elendel. In the close quarters, the elf was attempting to draw his bow, but failed.

Elendel dropped the bow to the ground and drew a wand from his belt. The tyranoid accepted the bolts of light that radiated from the wand without protest.

From Kellion's angle, he only saw the tyranoid rush Elendel, a flash of light and then heard a groan as the tyrnaoid turned toward Kellion slowly.

As it walked casually toward the warrior, Kel felt a tingle of fear run down his spine in a cold wave. In the instant the monster turned, he noticed Elendel, blood flowing out of his mouth, gasping for breath and holding a wicked wound in the middle of his chest.

It only took a moment for the elf to stop breathing, his eyes staring toward the roof of the hut.

Kel gulped. He could not feel any pain from his shield arm, only the dead weight and viscous blood trickling down his chest inside of his armor.

The tyranoid struck with both rapiers. Kel swung up, deflecting the blades. The tyranoid hit at him from two angles. Kel parried one, then the other of the blades and returned a thrust at the lizard, causing a long cut in its hide.

This minor victory would be his end, however. After inflicting the wound, Kellion saw his error. The tyranoid had expected this attack and accepted it so that it would have the opening it desired.

The jab of one, then the other acid sheathed blades met little resistance in Kellion's armpits.

Kel had a moment to feel despair at where his life and his death had led him.

Then he only felt death.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Death was a fuzzy area of dreams and regrets for Kellion Norrington.

The first place he visited on his journey to other realms was to his own past.

A portal of light and dust arose in his consciousness, like sunlight through a warm summer morning window. He found himself sitting on the floor of the temple at his father's castle.

"So, my son, the theology of Eon is one of adjustment, incorporation and independence," the priest walked from behind a pew, and young Kellion, sitting on the dusty floor of the temple could finally see his kindly face. "I know your father wished you to have a broad education, but he seems particularly interested in you being attuned to the edicts of Eon."

Kel frowned. "But why? I've been learning how to use a sword with the guards."

"Your eldest brother is responsible for taking your father's place as lord," the priest looked at the boy with a compassionate face and gentle words. "your other brother is training in magecraft, as your tutelage was prematurely ended after that little 'incident' last year. There are plenty of soldiers in this castle. Your place is with Eon, Kel."

Kel shook his head but his words went against this dismissive gesture. "Very well. I'll do both. If I have to spend time here, at least you're not the kind to rat me out to my father."

The priest laughed. "Judgment is the realm and duty of Vor. Lia's domain is in peacekeeping. Kazra lusts for power and dominance. Eon is none of those things, yet all of them at once," He winked at Kel. "I won't tell your father about your entertainment as long as you dedicate some of your time with me each day."

Kel brightened around the edges. "That sounds like as good of a deal I'm going to get around here."

The dusty light erupted in waves so bright that Kel closed his eyes. When he opened them again, he was lying on earthy ground nearby a cooking pot. A stump with an axe in it stood about ten feet away, and there was a small hut with a slightly open curtain. As Kel focused on the curtained door, he though he saw a foot sticking out.

He shook his head and his vision blurred. All the things he saw left trails as his head moved, and he began to feel dizzy. As he raised his hands to rub his head, he stopped in mid-movement noticing his hands were translucent.

"What the hell?" he stated. His words echoed in his mind, but he could tell that he made no sound.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

A man appeared in front of the dazed warrior. He was ethereal and Kel was certain he was seeing some sort of ghost.

The man was wearing reddish robes and had a wizened countenance covered in a white beard.

"Greetings traveler," the man spoke in a voice that reverberated in Kel's ears. "I have noticed that you and your companion have been led astray."

Kel pushed himself off the ground, and his transparent arms made him feel slightly nauseous. "If by led astray, you mean defeated by a large lizard with sharp swords, then I suppose you are correct."

The man did not have any reaction to Kel's comment, but began to wave his hands in a spiral pattern. Kel imagined the man was casting some sort of spell, but he was beyond caring. As the casting was completed, a shower of sparks enveloped Kel and he staggered backward.

"What have you done to me?"

"I have saved you this time, my son," The man pulled a scroll and a golden rod out of his robes and handed them to Kel. "Take these. Once you have destroyed the tyranoid leader, read this scroll over your elven friend and all will be well. You may continue your quest, Kellion Norrington."

With those words spoken, the man blinked out of existence. Kel began to wonder if he was hallucinating, but glanced over at the tent and the feet sticking out and realized that something strange had just happened.

He drew his sword, placed the shield upon his arm and walked back toward the tent. As he moved the canvas portal aside, he noticed Elendel's bloodied form lying faceup. No life shone from the elf's eyes.

Kel scanned the interior of the tent, knowing that he would discover his own body, but there was nothing. The tyranoid leader had its back to the warrior, and was pulling some items out of a pack. A shovel and a flint and steel had been pulled out.

Kel realized that the beast was preparing to destroy Elendel's remains.

Kel was immediately enraged. He crept slowly to the lizard's back, his cold fury driving his stealthy behavior as he struck the lizard in the back of the nexk with his broadsword.

The tyranoid was heavily gouged and turned toward Kel, suprise and horro in its face.As Kel's blade rose again for another strike, the fighter noticed that his arms had gained a more solid appearance.

The sword easily chopped the monster's arm. The beast made a slithering whimpter as Kel stabbed it in the belly, just under its cannibalized armor.

As it sank to the floor, acidy ocher oozing into the sandy ground, Kel continued to chop at it, hacking pieces into pieces as they began to dissolve into an unidentifiable glob of flesh and acid.

As the red glaze removed itself from Kel's rage, the man calmly stuck his sword into the ground, cleaning the foul liquids from its surface and he walked over to his friend.

"Oh, Elendel. What an adventure this has been," Kel's eyes began to water as he sheathed his blade and replaced the shielf behind his back.

He closed the elf's eyes and arranged his arms to his sides.

As he stood, again looking down on the still form, Kel felt at a small pouch at his side, and noticed a small scroll he had just dreamed about. Was it actually real?

He slowly opened the scroll and peered at its text. The spidery scrawl was readable, but Kel noticed that he could not take in the entire document at once. He could only make out the very first word. He shook his head and began to read the first word out loud.

The second word immedately became legible. Kel red it as well, and noticed that prior words seemed to burn off the page. As they did so, individual letters were reformed in smoke and sped toward Elendel's body.

When Kel finished reading the scroll, his eyes widened as the scroll erupted into a blaze of fire and smoke. When the smoke dissipated, Kel looked down and saw Elendel's body begin to stir.

The elf coughed and opened his eyes. As he shook his head, the elf quickly grabbed his bow at his side, stood up and with a throaty whisper said, "We need to leave NOW!"
Zacarias
Duke
Duke
Location: Chesapeake, VA - West of Virginia Beach and South of Norfolk Naval Base.

Post by Zacarias »

It had all happened so fast, the flash of the blades, the sting of pain, the rush of blood, and the loss of life. His life passed before his eyes, moments of his childhood remembered, moments of which brought both shame, happiness, and sadness, to see it all pass and know that it was over.

His body had hit the floor one moment, and now it was getting up. He didn't understand, where was he?

As soon as he realized he was still in that beast's tent, a shiver went down his spine, muscles tensing, ready to leap up and out.

Then he felt the pain, the wounds which had been inflicted on him. Blood flowed from those open wounds...Life flowed from those open wounds.

Through the pain he could recognize Kellion's form lingering over him. Didn't he know what danger was at hand, what threat existed in this cursed place?

"We need to get out NOW!" he managed to say before his gasps.
We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sound of the thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts,
and tore the world asunder.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Kel was a bit surprised by the elf's strong respose since the lizard lay in a pile of chopped up gore in the corner of the hut. He shook his surprise aside and followed Elendel outside.

Elendel had already formed a portal with one of the scrolls and Kel was barely able to keep up as he, too, stepped through the swirling mists of the doorway.

Once they arrived in the portal room, Kel noticed that Elendel was sitting on the steps leading out to the tavern. His eyes were red and slightly watery as he stared into the distance.

Kel walked up to him and patted him on the back. "Oh, come on Elendel," he gave him one of his lopsided grins. "At least we're not dead... Well, anymore that is. How about we have a drink in the bar and wash all of this behind us?"

Elendel shook his head. "I don't think that's going to help right now, Kel," he stood and wiped at his face. "I think the best thing to do is to continue on at this point and kill more of those monstrosities."

His voice had an edge to it that had not been there an hour ago. Kel realized that he felt a bit different, himself. Something had changed in both of them, and he had a gnawing feeling in his gut that more was to come.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

"Where should we go now?" Kel scratched his head. His memories seemed fleeting, and outside of appeasing the wizard by returning the tyranoid's amulet, he was having a hard time focusing. "The wizard had some other errands to run, but I'm not convinced that going off to fight in some civil war is our best option right now."

Elendel had waited by the large oak tree, tending to his wounds as Kel had returned the amulet. The wizard had been as haughty as ever, and Kel was to the point of just not helping the wizened sage.

"I would agree," Elendel was wrapping a bandage around a wicked slash on his arm. "I could use a rest. How about you scout around the keep to see if there are any other quests to be had."

Kellion nodded and walked off toward the docks. The fishy scent was mildy disgusting and few souls other than some seagulls were about. He walked past the children playing some sort of game and snarled at one who got too close. The child screamed and ran off with his fellows.

Kel noticed a smallish building standing apart from the others near the dock that contained a large ship where new travelers were disembarking.

Shrugging, the warrior walked up to the building. No markings indicated its purpose and Kel was about ready to move on when two men standing nearby in conversation called over to him.

"Hey! You! You shouldn't go in there," The man looked like a peasant and Kel sneered at the fellow who kept talking. "That's the so called captain of the guard, and you can't trust that beast."

"Let me be the judge of that, peasant. You should go back to your farming or lazing about, unless you have a young daughter that needs some fair tutelage."

The man gasped, his mouth opening and closing. Kel laughed and walked into the dark quarters.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

The barracks were long, with two eaves that held a few cots. The man that stood at the end of the room looked up from sharpening a wicked looking sword and narrowed his eyes at Kel as he walked closer.

"It seems that the local townsfolk don't trust you, friend," Kel placed his hand on his sword. "But a man with armor like that doesn't earn it from poor reputation alone."

"You may be right. What do you want?"

"I was told you are the captain of the guard?"

"I am. My name is Rodran, and you would do well to remember my name as you stroll around the keep."

"That I will, especially if you have a particular task that needs to be attended to."

"Hrmph. A couple of adventurers just rid me of a particular thorn in my side that maintained a base of operations in the sewer," he stopped sharpening his sword and sheathed it. "But I do have a small thing, if you're willing to stand for the order of the keep."

"That I am, Captain Rodran. Eon's wrath take chaos from our souls and minds."

"Yeah, something like that," Rodran shook his head slightly and looked Kel in the eye. "There is a man that has been remiss in his payment of dues to the keep. You can understand how such things can dramatically effect the stability of government. If one person stops payment, then others will get the idea they can do the same. Pretty soon there's open revolt. Now we can't have any of that in my keep."

Kel nodded. "I can see where that could become a problem. My father dealt with such issues on occasion."

"I'm sure he did. Here is the document, and the amount of money this man owes. Make sure he is intent on paying. Extract it if you have to, but make sure it happens."

"So I am to be your enforcer?"

"If you manage this small task, then I may have more for you that will prove your worth to the keep. Now get out of my sight and take care of this already!"

Kel shrugged, took the document and left the building.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Kel walked to the inn, contemplating the task. He was about to become an enforcer, and he was sure that such a task was for the greater good of the city and in fact would be pleasing to Eon.

Just in case, he stopped by the blacksmith's shop and knelt on a small patch of grass and prayed to his god, hoping for a blessing and praying for guidance.

Just as he had hoped, a streak of light from the heavens hit him and he felt a sense of confidence and bravado that he had not felt before. He was beginning to believe his tutelage under the priest of Eon had been beneficial. In fact, he thought, perhaps I am becoming one of Eon's holy knights.

After all, he reasoned, Eon had blessed him many times in his travels.

He walked into the noisy tavern and scanned the people drinking, eating and having a merry time. As he walked around he came to an area that was more sparsely crowded.

Near a wall sat a man by himself, drinking an ale. Kel sat in a table opposite him and pulled out the document Rodran had given him. The paper had a description of the man, and this man in the corner met that description. Kel neatly folded the document, noting the amount the man owed.

He stood and walked over to the man. "Hello there. My name is Kellion Norrington. Mind if I have a seat?"

The man looked a bit startled and his eyes darted from side to side. "No, I don't think that is a good idea, go back to your own table, friend."

Kel sat down and leaned his elbow on the table, lowering his voice so no one else could hear over the surrounding din. "Oh, I'm sure you wouldn't think it was a good idea. But I'm pretty sure it was a worse idea for you to stiff Captain Rodran of your dues."

The man's jaw dropped, but he made no other move. "You don't understand...." he stammered and then quickly recovered. "I mean, I'm not who you think I am. I don't know what you're talking about."

Kel raised one eyebrow. "Oh, really?" he pulled out the document. "I believe this is your description, your name and most importantly the bill." Kel threw it at the man.

"But I don't work for Rodran. I'm just a common merchant that refuses to pay his 'protection fees'"

"Likely story, sir. Why would you need protection from the guard, eh? Unless you've done something to earn their ire. I say you need to pay this due, or things could get decidedly unpleasant for you."

The man scowled and leaned in toward Kel. "I refuse to pay for such extortion, go tell Rodran that, mercenary!"

Kel calmly looked at the man for a moment. When he didn't blink, Kel slowly rose. "Very well, you don't want to pay your debt. I understand that you are trying to put forward your confusion as a ruse to following legal proceedings. But I will leave you be."

Kel turned away, took two steps and pulled a dagger out of a sheath he kept up his arm, turned quickly and threw the dagger. It landed in the man's upper arm.

He screamed and Kel rushed over to him, placing his face an inch away from his and putting his hand over his mouth. "That hurts, doesn't it, friend?" Kel grabbed the dagger and twisted it slightly. He saw the man's face pale and was able to stifle his muted screams with his hand. "You know this is only the beginning if you don't pay immediately, DON'T you?"

The man nodded, beads of sweat forming on his brow. "Good. Then we have an understanding. I will inform Rodran that you will pay by tomorrow morning. If you have not, I will stalk you to your grave, but not before your pain brings you to long for it."

Kel quickly pulled the knife out and sheathed it in one smooth motion. The man fell forward, unconscious at the pain. Kel looked around, seeing that no one had witnessed the scene, and left the tavern.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Kel was not content to simply leave and trust that the man was going to pay his debt. He would not be comfortable within himself, he decided, if he were to allow this man to balk against the due he owed and rebel against the lawful system Captain Rodran had in place.

He stood in the darkness of the alleyway next to the inn, practicing hiding in its shadows. He found it could be easily enough done if he avoided places where his armor would shine in the torchlight.

An hour or so later, the merchant walked out of the tavern, walking with a slight sway of someone who has had a bit too much to drink. He grasped his upper arm as he walked out of the keep into the small hamlet just outside the keep's walls.

Kellion followed as close as he could without being discovered. The man eventually walked up to a door, took a key out of a pocket, dropped it on the ground, and groaned in pain as he bent to retrieve it. He was finally able to unlock the door and walk in, and Kel heard the door latch from the inside.

The warrior listened from the outside, hearing scraping and scuffling sounds occasionally broken by the sounds of swearing and shouts of pain. Kel crept to a window and looked through a small gap between curtain and interior and saw that the man was packing. Kel shook his head and knew what needed to be done.

Fortunately, he had spent time early on in his journeys with Elendel learning the basics of picking locks, and the lock of this residence was very basic. He heard the lock clear with a slight click and pushed open the door.

The man was taking clothing and items out of a cabinet and placing them in a bag. His back was turned, and Kel could tell he had not heard the door open. Kel drew his sword as the man removed some cutlry and metal objects, and the metal grating sound of the unsheathed sword was drowned out by the clatter.

Kel smiled and cleared his throat. The merchant dropped a small plate and it shattered on the floorboards. He turned around and Kel could see the fear in his eyes. "Wha... What are you doing here?"

"It looks like you're planning on leaving? Why such a rush? Anything I can do to help?"

The man watched Kel, the whites of his eyes glistening with unshed tears. "Wait! I swear I was going to pay! You don't have to do this!"

"Do what? I haven't done ANYthing yet."

"I told you I haven't done anything wrong! I just haven't paid Rodran's protection tax! I don't have the money, I swear!"

Kel looked behind the man, spotting the silver utensils. "I notice you have some valuables right behind you. Why are you holding back? Eon does not appreciate those who are not honest with themselves and others."

"EON? What does the overgod have to do with anything? If any god, Rodran serves Kazra. Besides, this is my family's silver. It's been passed down from generation to generation for centuries!"

Kel made a dismissive sound. "Kazra just wants power. I don't see Rodran looking to assume more power. He seems to be a responsible man tasked with keeping the city lawful. And as for your family's silver, all I know is that you owe money, and I am here to collect."

The man's eyes brightened. "Perhaps if I offer you a little something, then you could tell Rodran that I fled. I won't ever come back to the keep. I'll return to my family's lands beyond the great wastes."

"Are you trying to bribe me?" Kel remembered the penalty to his father's subjects if they attempted to bribe one of the castle guards. He also remembered the stiffer sentence on guards accepting bribes.

"No, no... I'm just offering you a payment for keeping me off the Captain's radar. I'll never bother you or Rodran again!"

Kel felt an anger welling inside of him. He was not sure where it came from, other than that this man was threatening what he saw was an honest attempt to maintain safety in Blackstone Keep. He did not trust this merchant to leave, and knew what would happen if the man got away. Rumors would spread. People would rebel. Chaos would win out.

The anger became action. Kel's sword flashed in the candle light. The merchant looked at Kel's deep frown, then down at his chest. He was able to feebly touch the red blush of blood as he fell to the ground.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Kellion cleaned his sword off with the man's tunic. He laid in the middle of various belongings which were becoming slowly touched by his own lifeblood.

Kel looked over the items, shaking his head. It was such a waste for this man to be so attached to fleeting things such as personal possessions. It had been the same trap he had avoided by leaving his family's ancestral home.

He took a silver candlestick and a twine tied bundle of cutlery, and found a small bag of gold that he quickly pocketed. He stepped away, careful to avoid the red puddle that now stained the floorboards.

As he walked back through the keep's gates, he felt a sense of righteousness fall upon him and he knew that Eon was pleased with his adherence to the law despite the uncomfortable duty of having to be an enforcer.

He pondered a lecture that the priest of Eon had given to him when he had first begun his tutelage under the wise cleric.

"Kel, if you are to be instructed in the glory of Eon, you must first understand the makeup of his church."

Young Kellion Norrington inwardly scoffed, but nodded his assent. This at least was better than suffering the abuse from the hands of the castle's wizard.

"Eon is the Overgod of this world. He watches all and holds all within his grasp. Vor, Lia, Kazra and all the lesser gods all are a part of his domain. His churches are outposts in the land and very few exist. Your father sponsored one in his wisdom, understanding that inviting another god might set up his realm as a target."

Kel wanted to yawn, but instead took a deep breath. "So, Abbot Jorgen, it sounds like my father chose Eon as a political move rather than any sort of spiritual one."

The cleric laughed. "That may be true, but your father is also a devout follower. He often comes to the temple to do his daily prayers. All I am saying is that if you travel abroad for any reason, you will be hard pressed to find a central location to share your worship. In that way Eon is unique among the greater deities. He sets each follower as a church unto him or herself."

"But if that's the case, then there really can't be any sort of rituals like I've heard about in other churches."

"That is true, my son. Vor has holy days involving much singing and posturing. Lia has her followers conduct moonlight rituals involving dancing and revelry. Kazra sacrifices opposing worshipers and has bloody sports as a part of the celebration. Eon has none of those, yet all of them. Each follower is allowed to choose a path and stand by it. Some are blessed with glory and power of the highest degree. I have, for example, numerous times been granted favors as well as divine magics for my use in catering to the residents of your father's lands."

"But, abbot, how does Eon decide which blessing to give to whom?"

"That is a mystery, for who truly knows what is behind our Lord Eon's whims? I believe, however, he grants these blessings to the strong of character. I have known a number of Paladins and Knights of Eon that have been so strong in their convictions that no one can stand against them."

"But does he ever pass judgment on those who go against his doctrine?"

"I have known Eon to choose when and how to give blessings, but I have not known him to take them away."

"But how will I know if I am ever blessed by Eon?"

"Oh you will know, young one. You WILL know."

Kel had arrived at Rodran's barracks. The men nearby did not speak to him this time, but watched wearily as he walked inside.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Rodran was again sharpening his blade. He ignored Kel as he walked up and placed the candlestick, cutlery and bag of gold on the floor in front of him.

"There you are, Captain. The merchant was unwilling to volunteer his payment, so I took matters into my own hands to make sure the debt was paid."

Rodran looked up with one arched brow. "Did you , now?" He sheathed his sword and picked up the candlestick. As he turned it in the pale lamplight, he inspected a smear of dried blood and smiled. "Well, well. Perhaps you will have greater use after all."

"I would be honored to help maintain the presence of order in the keep, Captain Rodran."

"Oh, no doubt about that now, is there?" Rodran took out a handkerchief, wet a corner of it with his tongue and wiped away the blood from the silver. "Very well, I do have another task for such a faithful follower of justice. I have a letter that must be delivered to Bordermarch. Have you been to that small outpost?"

"No, sir, I have not. I have heard small mention of it, however."

"It is to the north, in the frozen wastes. My informants have mentioned that you had taken care of some orcs to the east of Skara Brae. It is further down the path there that you will find the road to the wintery lands."

Kel nodded. "So what is this message?"

"Tut, tut, soldier." Rodran withdrew a tightly rolled parchment, tied with a thin red bow. He picked up a metal tube out of a bag of supplies at his side and slipped the document inside. Rodran took a cigar he had also withdrawn from the supplies and lit it from the nearby lamp.

As the tobacco burned with a small flame, he took a small stick of wax and allowed it to melt into drips over the end of the metal tube. When the wax had covered the lid, he blew out the flame, placed the cigar in his mouth and then used a signet ring on his index finger to place a patterned indentation upon the wax.

"Its contents are none of your business. Delivering them are. Take this to the merchant selling various forms of ammunition. You will find his shop nearby the tavern and blacksmith's. When you return, I will give you your reward. If you disturb the contents of the package, I will know and you will be dealt with swiftly and mercilessly. Understand?"

Kel though the subterfuge strange, but grunted his assent and took the offered document tube. He had found a quest that he and Elendel could embark upon. He bowed deeply, his cape billowing around his muscled form. Rodran waved him away, blowing smoke rings to the ceiling.
Zacarias
Duke
Duke
Location: Chesapeake, VA - West of Virginia Beach and South of Norfolk Naval Base.

Post by Zacarias »

Elendel laid in the grass beneath the trees, with his eyes closed. It was hard to find a sense of peace these days, but here he finally felt it. The world had grown colder since he had last reflected on it. Where he had felt boredom and eagerness to leave in his old home, he now felt a growing stress, was this what it was to survive? Every moment of his adventures were spent listening for that snapping twig, that quick shadow, or the smell of some foreign enemy, waiting in ambush.

He rubbed his eyes. He was tired. He begun to meditate; finding that void in his mind. There he floated, undisturbed.

At least until he felt the approaching footsteps of a human. He knew it was Kel. With a sigh, he opened his eyes.

"I found us a new job! We're going to Bordermarch."

Elendel blinked. "Bordermarch?"

Kellion nodded. He explained the details. They would need to deliver a message to someone, and travel to a town bordering the frozen wastes.

"Allright," Elendel said. "Let's go."
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Elendel stood and followed Kel toward the north gate. As they neared the portal, Kel began to walk past and the elf called out, "Kel, we should take the portal. It's faster."

"Are we in some sort of hurry?" Kel's stomach sank as the pending transportation loomed in front of him. "The walk would be better for our lungs." He cringed at his poor excuse, but hoped fervently that Elendel would buy it.

"Probably not. Saving them from breathing the foul air of those zombies would be even better for us." The elf walked to the portal, pressed four runes and faded from view.

Kel thought the elf appeared to be a bit less enthusiastic about using the portal this time, but he knew he, himself, was even less happy about it.

He sighed deeply and pressed the proper sequence of stones, and the world feel out from under him.
Zacarias
Duke
Duke

Post by Zacarias »

After pressing the last key, Elendel found himself in Skara Brae. He waited for Kellion, who stumbled out of the portal, dizzied and looking a little green.

"Bordermarch should be to the north east, right?"

Kellion nodded. The effects of the portal were taking their toll on him.

They encountered little resistance on the way. Until they reached the foot of the mountain.

Where had it come from? Elendel hadn't seen it along the way. The trees must've hid it. He looked up. The path went up at almost a 90 degree angle. What was up with that.

"Maybe we should take a break," Elendel offered.

"Nah, come on. You made me go through that portal, I'm making you go up this mountain. Come on!" With that, Kellion began the long hike up the mounain.

What gruelling work, carrying such a heavy pack and scaling a cliff. Elendel felt almost sorry for Kellion in his armor, but he was having such an easy time with it.

Then it began to snow. Just 10 minutes after the first flake, they reached the forest.

It was cold. Elendel wrapped his cloak around him. It was so white...so serene and peaceful. It almost looked perfect.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

The fresh snowy air helped clear Kel's head and made him feel better after the automatic nausea had set in after the portal jump. The brief exertion was just what the warrior needed.

Elendel fell a bit behind, and as Kel reached the summit, the elf was about 20 feet behind struggling with the steep mountain path. Kel looked at the plateau stretched before him.

There was a sigle road leading to the north, and snowy evergreens dotted the landscape to either side. Above the tops of some of the nearest trees, Kel could see that there was another hill in the middle of the plateau, which also appeared to have a number of pines jutting out from its sides.

It appeared to be a peaceful area, and Kel sighed. He was not sure if he wanted there to be a bit more danger, or if he was fine with the short respite.

He didn't have to wait very long, however. As he stood marveling at the winter picture in front of him, he heard a soft whistle of an arrow flying past him. He drew his sword and fitted his shield out of instinct, then realized the arrow had come from behind him.

He turned to see Elendel, bow strung and recently fired. The elf lowered the weapon as Kel frowned. Before he could say anything, Elendel pointed toward the forested plateau.

As Kel turned again, he heard a large crashing through branches and saw a large creature fall to the ground.

Kel and Elendel rushed to the beast. A broken arrow protruded from the back of its neck. The elf had become an excellent aim.

The monster was large. It had pointy ears that stuck out to either side of its greenish face. It had teeth that pointed up and out of its mouth. Kel had seen nothing like it before.

"It is a bugbear, Kellion." Elendel searched the beast and hefted a small sack of gold before adding it to his pack.

"Of course it's a bugbear. But why is it out here in such a gold barren land?"

"I'm not sure it's totally barren, Kel. Where there's one of these things there will be more."

As if on cue two came at them from either side, and Kel noticed another who stepped out on the path ahead of them. It appeared to be chanting some sort of spell.

Image[/img]