The Centurion Company

Use this forum for In Character Interactions only.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Zacarias
Duke
Duke
Location: Chesapeake, VA - West of Virginia Beach and South of Norfolk Naval Base.

Post by Zacarias »

Elendel saw the shaman in front of them and knew that the wisest thing to do would be to take him out. He drew an arrow, but as he began to release it one of the bugbears impacted into his side. The arrow flew, but was way off course. Elendel fell to the ground. He barely had time to roll over; the morning star came crashing into the ground beside him. Snow and dirt went flying. He had to put some distance between the bugbear and himself if he had any chance of surviving this ordeal.

So he rolled away more, and jumped to his feet. He jumped to his feet with time enough to draw his sword. The bugbear's morningstar came for his head, but Elendel parried the blow, and the two's weapons connected.

Elendel raised his left hand in front of his face. He had seen other wizards cast spells without the use of hands or words, and he had even managed to cast a few minor one handed spells. But not this one. He hadn't even mastered it with both hands. But to try it with one hand...especially now. He didn't have to remind himself about what would happen if the spell failed.

But he didn't have to see if he had the power to cast it, because Kellion's sword came plunging through the bugbear's torso. He had also killed the other bugbear and the shaman.

Elendel picked up his bow. The string had been exposed to the snow, that wasn't good. He wiped it off before anymore could melt.

They walked along the path until they came to a fork in the road. "Which way?" asked Kellion.

Elendel answered to the left. The path to the right would take them further upwards, towards what looked like a dark glacier. Lighting flashed in the clouds above that terrifying structure, and he didn't want to go up there just yet. Yes, the path to the left seemed much better.
We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sound of the thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts,
and tore the world asunder.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Kel looked toward the cavern. He got a bad feeling about it. He wasn't sure why, perhaps it was just due to the lightning overhead. Lightning and snow were a weird combination. He realized that such a weather pattern was unnatural. Thunderstorms usually occurred in warm weather. There was something sinister at work, or at the very least some sort of magic, which for Kel was almost as bad.

Elendel did not answer his question, but he could tell from the elf's look that there was no need to ask any more. He walked to the left, and Elendel followed without a word.

As they continued down the path, Elendel pointed to the south, holding one finger to his lips at the same time. Kel looked to where he pointed and saw an outcropping of large stones. Ah, another shrine, he thought to himself.

The he noticed the reason Elendel had pointed. There were three bugbear shamans performing some sort of ritual in front of the shrine itself. further down the path, they both saw city gates and walked as quickly as possible into the small town.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

The town was small. Little more than a village, really. A path had been shoveled through the snow and at an intersection, a well armored man stood, looking quite bored.

"Hello, good man," Kel waved as they got closer. "By any chance are there any merchants in this area?"

"But of course! Bordermarch wouldn't be much of a town without them," The man pointed to the east. "Just down the path here on the right is a small merchant who sells some archery supplies and such and at the end of the path is Lagnar's tavern that has the best ale this side of Blackstone Keep!"

"Well, if that's the case, I may have to make this place my new home!" Kel and the man laughed as Elendel stood behind, a blank expression on his face. "Thanks for the info, sir."

"Not a problem, not a problem at all! In fact, if you're interested I've got a little quest for you. It'd certainly help us all out around here."

Kel nodded as the man talked, considering the profit to be had in such a quest. "We most certainly would be interested. Do tell."

"As I'm sure you noticed, we are experiencing a serious influx of bugbears that we belive are amassing their numbers in order to attack Bordermarch. They have a base of operations in a small cave nearby. If you could kill their leader, we may be able to dispatch their ability to organize. An in exchange for such a patriotic duty, the town will make sure you are well compensated."

"I think that sounds like a fine plan. Elendel, let's get som esupplies and get going."
Zacarias
Duke
Duke
Location: Chesapeake, VA - West of Virginia Beach and South of Norfolk Naval Base.

Post by Zacarias »

Kellion and Elendel entered a small shop. It didn't have many interesting wares, but it did have some fine pieces. Elendel's eyes strayed to some arrows on display. Funny, he had never seen types like these before. The shaft was black from the feathers up until an inch below the arrow head. The rest was purple. The arrows gave off a dim glow.

"Can I help you with something?" A voice inquired from behind the counter. Elendel looked at the man. He looked to be in his sixties, but he couldn't be sure. Elves and humans aged differently, so Elendel really wasn't one to judge.

"Yes," Kellion began. "I believe this is for you." Kellion handed an envelope to the man. The man opened it and read it.

"Very good," he said. "Yes, thankyou." Then the man turned away and continued his embroidery on a robe.

"...What about our pay?" Kellion asked.

"What pay?"

"We didn't come all the way to this Eon-forsaken place to deliver that message for free!"

"Look, I don't have the money," The man said. Kellion's eyes bulged in frustration. Elendel didn't think this job would've really payed well; after all, they had performed other jobs that had been much harder, like killing 500-pound ogres and taking on a tribe of Urukai. But money was scarce these days. Blackstone was in a recession. He had heard this from a gnome who had robes of nobleman. The gnome had said that he was a banker, and that he thought the primary reason for it was the scarceness of forgestones. The two adventurers needed money. And, as Kellion had said, they hadn't come here for free.

Elendel's hand went to his quiver. Seeing this motion, the man shouted, "Stop! Look, Rodran will pay you!" Elendel hated this. Had they been cheated? Someone better pay up. "Look, look, I'll try to make it up to you. I'll...I'll give you a discount! 50% off on all merchandise!"

"Don't try to change the subject, what about our pay?!" Kellion said more forcefully, taking a step towards the old man.

"Rodran will pay you! I promise! And...and what I'm proposing is a deal to smooth it over..."

"Then I'm taking these arrows," Elendel said quietly, and threw several gold pieces at the man. In reality, he had probably just stolen the arrows, as they were probably worth much more.

The merchant grinned cynically for a moment, but it was gone just as fast. "Yes...yes...!" the man pleaded. "Take what you want, just get out of here!"

"Come, Kellion," The two adventurers opened the door and left. But as they left, Elendel couldn't help but feel like he heard someone laughing.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Kel was grumbling as they left the shop. "A discount my ass. That's not what I got into this lawful enforcement for," He kicked a rock which quickly disappeared into a snowbank. "We never did find out what that note said, either." He sighed and looked to the tavern on their left.

"Elednel, when we're done with these bugbears, we should take some time to relax and have one of those ales. I've been meaning to learn more about you, anyway. After all, if we're traveling companions it only makes sense that we know more about each other."

Elendel shrugged as he examined one of the purple and black arrows. "Other than elven wine, I haven't had a lot of experience with human alcohols. That sounds like a fine idea."

Kel smiled in anticipation of a drinking session with the slight elf. He wondered how he would act under the influence. He was confident he could drink him under the table, and laughed slightly to himself at the idea. He also wondered if there were any flirtatious barmaids to be had, which excited him in different ways.

"Now that we have a couple rewards to look forward to, let's go kill that chieftain!"
Zacarias
Duke
Duke

Post by Zacarias »

Elendel heard the breathing and those heavy footsteps. He motioned Kellion to stop, and silently moved towards the noise, with his bow cocked. He looked through a small grove of trees and saw a white beast, eating the remains of a bugbear. Elendel remembered the days when the two adventurers had to make their money with wolf furs, and wondered how much money this specimen would fetch them. He drew back his bow, and fired.

Unfortunately, the bear's hide was thick. The arrow protruded from its neck, stopped by thick blubber. The beast howled in pain and searched in rage for its attacker. Elendel remained still and tried to blend in to his environment. All elves are born with a natural talent of stealth. But the bear found him. He had forgotten; his yellow speckled armor and red cloack really didn't blend into the white winter wonderland.

Elendel jumped back and released two more arrows. The bear came crashing through the trees. It was in front of Elendel in a heartbeat. Its jaw lunged forward, and Elendel dodged to the left. But the bear swung with its right claw, and knocked Elendel down.

Elendel thought about the irony. Here was an adventurer that had fought undead, orcs, ogres, giant spiders, and swamp lizards, and now he was about to die by a fluffy, white animal. He watched as the bear took a step forward, saliva dripping down its lip...

Kellion knocked the beast's jaw back with his shield. For a moment, time seemed to slow, and Elendel couldn't help but notice that, with the sun near Kellion's head, the light seemed to glorify him. His cloak danced freely in the wind, his helmet and armor gleamed, and his sword was lit up by the light, as if in anticipation of the blood to come. And then the clouds blocked off the sun, and a darkness seemed to overtake him. Elendel could almost see a grin under the shadow of his helm; bloodlust had overtaken him. His armor was dark and black. It was a chilling and terrifying sight, one that made Elendel gasp. The sword completed its arc, spraying blood on the white snow. The bear fell to the side, dead.

And then the wind turned fiercer, howling against them, almost knocking Kellion off his feet. Kellion tried to take a step forward but was stopped. He was forced to get down on hands and knees. Elendel did the same, and the two adventurers crawled towards what appeared to be a cave. They needed to get protection from the wind.

Elendel's breath was freezing before as it got to his lungs. No! Not here! Not like this! he thought frantically. He groped for his cloak--which was flying in the wind--and wrapped it around his neck and mouth like a scarf.

He moved his white, cold hands forward, dragging himself towards the cave. Just a little bit further...Just a little more...
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Kel was not pleased with the cold weather. His father's castle was in a mild temperate area, and while snow was not unheard of, it was not common either. This was well beyond his comfort, and he was almost happy when the warm blood of the bear hit his icy cold hands.

He crawled with Elendel toward the cave, cursing the wind that made their struggle so difficult. It got to the point where he couldn't even open his eyes. The cold air blowing through his helm frosted his eyebrows so quickly that tears began to stream from the corners of his eyes.

He heard Elendel shout something at him through the wind, but he could not hear as he finally got to the cave and stumbled inside. He immediately began to shiver, stamp his boots and grasp his arms close to his chest. Not a good time to wear plate mail, he thought, as his arms were not helped by laying against the cold metal.

Elendel finally came to within earshot, and Kel heard him shout "Missile!" but not soon enough to keep the three magical bolts of energy from searing his back.

The missiles were warm, however, and spurred Kel to action. He went to draw his sword, which was caught in its scabbard, so he ran blindly toward where he thought the missiles had come from. He readied his shield just in time to run headlong into a chanting bugbear.

The bugbear fell back, shield-butted to the ground. Kel went to try and free his sword again when another volley of missiles hit his side. Unfortunately for the monster, the missiles hurt the warrior but also caused the ice holding his blade to free. Kel drew his steel with satisfaction and ran the first bugbear through as it struggled to regain its footing.

The second bugbear was chanting another spell until an arrow sheared through one hand and lodged in its throat. It croaked in pain as it fell to one side.

"Well, that was a good warm-up," Kel said as he walked over to the elf. He considered sheathing his sword but thought better of it. The cave was a bit warmer, but not enough to help. "So, I wonder where this leader is hiding out?"

Kel looked to the bugbear he had impaled. He was suddenly struck with a sort of inspiration. He saw the dead beast and though that perhaps it could help them in their struggle. He pointed at it, and a wave of reddish-black energy spurred forward and hit the dead creature.

Suprisingly, the beast rose from its death, and its eyes began to burn with an unholy red fury. Kel stepped back, mouth open under his helm. Elendel did the same.

"Eon be praised! Eon has granted me his holy blessings in our quest, Elendel! I believe I have earned Eon's favor enough that I have become one of his holy paladins!"

He beamed as the zombie walked to his side, Elendel frowned slightly, and Kel could tell he was slightly conflicted about that strange occurrence, but Kel chalked it up to his being uncomfortable with a paladin around. After all, most people were uneasy with such a holy and morally upright warrior at their side.

He said a quick prayer to Eon and walked deeper into the cave.
Zacarias
Duke
Duke

Post by Zacarias »

Elendel glanced towards the revivified beast. He disapproved. What becomes dead, should stay dead. But he hid his disgust. Kellion took pride in his new...technique, and Elendel wasn't going to put him down. But he kept his distance. The beast had smelled enough in life.

He still had his cloak around his face, but he didn't remove it. He had found that the cloak had stopped his breath from fogging, allowing him to move around more undetectedly. There were many pillars of ice to hide behind here.

The two adventurers moved to through the cave. Elendel began hearing noises. Was that...talking? He couldn't understand the language. They moved towards it. After moving behind one of the pillars, he saw the source of the sounds.

A giant bugbear stood on a ledge of ice, which looked like some sort of alter. Beneath him, there were five shamans, gathered around in a circle. The giant bugbear (which was obviously the leader) said something, and the shamen began to cast something. "What are they doing?" whispered Kellion.

"I'm not sure," Elendel responded puzzled. "But I'm going to stop them." With that, he brought up his bow, drew back the string and...

Suddenly, a flame erupted from the middle of the circle. A figure began to grow from out of the flame, which was...terrifying. Elendel released his arrow, which exploded in the middle of the circle. The summoning ritual was disrupted, and the demon was gone after the ritual was interupted.

The blast had killed one of the shaman, but had only injured the others. The bugbear chieften let out a howl in anger. The four other shaman began spellcasting. The battle was on.
Zacarias
Duke
Duke

Post by Zacarias »

Elendel put three arrows in one of the shamen, and he fell back with a scream of pain. The revivified corpse ran forward and clawed at one of his former companions, and wrestled him to the ground. Kellion decapitated another shaman. Elendel turned on the last, just in time to witness a shaman complete a spell on the leader.

Suddenly the bugbear leader's muscles grew. He let our a roar as the shaman began to cast another spell on him, but Elendel wasn't about to let him. His arrow came between the two bugbears, where it exploded.

Rubble from the altar went everwhere. Elendel wondered if he had finished it, but then he saw a shape moving from the smoke. The leader was still alive.

Kellion ran to meet him in a skirmish. He immediately went on the offensive, but the bugbear chieften was no stranger to battle. He easily parried Kellion's blow, and swung his sword at Kellion in retaliation. With his increased strength, the chieften knocked Kellion of balance. As he stumbled back, the Chieften went for Kellion's blind spot. Kellion's shield protected his face, but the sword would surely meet his side if Elendel didn't do something.

The arrow was sunk into the chieften's chest before exploding. If that didn't kill him, nothing can, Elendel thought. The blast had knocked Kellion off his feet. "What are you trying to do?!" he yelled. "Kill me?"

Elendel laughed with relief. It was over and Kellion was still alive. He walked over to Kellion to help him up, and then he saw it.

Once again, the figure emerged from the smoke. A chill ran down Elendel's spine. What was this? Elendel had given him everything he had. He was exhausted! He wouldn't be able to fire another one of those arrows.

But then he saw the chieften's wounds. It's skin had been burned off, and some of its ribs showed their white from beneath the blood and the muscle.

The chieften's whole body had a thick hide on the outside, followed by tough muscle before Elendel could get to anything vital. The whole body, that was, except for the head and neck.

The neck contained one of the body's most prominent arteries, if he could pierce that, the beast would be dead in minutes.

The head contain the brain. Even if the brain remained in tact after the arrow entered it, it wouldn't be long before the large amount of blood there leaked out.

He bagan firing arrows as fast as he could. The chieften, which had been approaching Kellion, saw this barrage and parried as much as he could. After a few arrows got past his defense and pierced his body, he saw that this wasn't much use and retreated behind a pillar of ice.

Elendel had recently learned a technique that would be useful now. But he hadn't performed it successfully yet. He was tired. He didn't know if he the power left in him to go on much longer. Just a little bit of magic.... He launched the arrow.

It was way off target, and then it changed course, circled around the pillar, and struck its target. Elendel saw the chieften collapse through the ice barrier.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Kel gasped as he saw Elendel's arrow impossibly round the corner of the ice pillar and hit the bugbear. As he shook his head, flakes of burned hair fell to the ground, and he realized that he stank of sweat, melted hair and burnt flesh.

Thinking of the impossible led him to remember the animated corpse that had come on Eon's blessing, and he searched around for it. Unfortunately, the monsters he and Elendel had slain laid around the circle they had been using for their unholy ritual, and he shrugged realizing that distinguishing the newly dead from the newly undead would be a difficult task.

Knowing the grim task in front of him, Kel walked up to the raised dais and found the leader, sprawled out on the floor with its sword to one side and an arrow sticking out of the back of its head. Not only had the elf performed an impossible stunt, but he had performed it with deadly accuracy.

Kel quickly cut the bugbear's head from its shoulder, and he was slightly sickened as the smell of cooked flesh not unlike the smell of pork rose to his nostrils.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

The frigid air outside of the cave's entrance brought an odd mix of pain and relief to Kel's slightly burnt flesh. His eyes still teared up at the cold blasts of wind, and Elendel again adjusted his cloak around his face.

Kel had not ever been on a cold weather campaign before, but remembered stories his eldest brother had told him when he was younger.

"You see, Kel, you have to be careful in the snow and cold," his brother Josiah sat upon a carved granite bench outside of their estate carving a figure out of a section of a branch. "In the summer if you're not careful, you may get a sunburn. Some of the fair haired peasants have had to come to the temple to get healed for blisters when they're out plowing their fields without hats on."

Kel thought it odd to discuss wintery weather when it was so wonderfully warm out, but never missed the opportunity to hear stories from his brother. Their 12 year age gap made it hard for him to relate to Josiah, and he was always jealous of the adventures he had away from the castle.

He knew that his father loved Josiah the most, and the old man was constantly trying to teach him more about leading their people and how to win wars.

"In the snow and high mountains, though, if you're not properly clothed you can lose fingers, toes or worse!" Josiah stopped and pointed his carving knife for emphasis. "One of father's standard bearers lost two toes and a thumb during the last war in the north."

Kel had seen the man. He looked odd with no thumb, and Kel had always wondered why the man limped everywhere. Every time he saw the man, he had an unnatural urge to kick him like a mangy dog.

"He started by complaining, as most of father's servants seem to do. 'Lord, my hands are so cold! Do you have extra gloves?' he would say. Of course, we all just thought him to be a weakling, and laughed at his plight," he resumed carving and talked to Kel, who sat on the ground at his brother's feet. "But then he stopped complaining. It was a bit strange when he began to complain that his feet were too warm."

Kel thought that funny and laughed. Josiah looked at his younger brother and scowled. "You think that funny, Kel? It wasn't so funny what happened next. The man's fingers became as white as bone. When we stopped for the day, he was allowed to sit close to the campfire. His hand changed from white to a deep bluish black.

"He then started to cry from the pain. We were not sure how to respond to a man in such a state, and all of us warriors just avoided further contact. Our battle priest was called, and when he saw what had happened, he got angry at us all.

"'Why didn't you give him a pair of gloves, you sods?' he said to us. We shrugged as he wrapped the standard bearer's hands in a white cloth. Then he did the strangest thing.

"The priest took out a dagger and before anyone could speak, he cut off the man's thumb!"

Kel gasped. The story had not gone the way he had imagined.

"The man fell unconscious and the priest asked us what else he had complained about. When we told him about his feet, he removed the bearer's boots. Ugh, a worst stench I have never experienced!

"The man's feet were the same sickly blue-black color. His littlest toes were the blackest. The color of charcoal. The priest cut them off like you'd see a butcher eviscerate a cow."

Kel tried to talk, but his mouth was suddenly dry. He cleared his throat and spoke, "Was... Was there anything that could have been done to save the man?"

"The priest said he DID save the man. He said some clerical magic just doesn't suffice. He said that the cold had poisoned the man's blood and if his digits hadn't been cut off the man would have surely died."

Kel frowned. "But sunburn goes away, why doesn't that sort of burn go away too?"

"I'm not sure Kel," Josiah shook his head and cut a long strand of wood away from his carving. "Just make sure you're well prepared for the cold and you'll be okay. Not that father will ever let you go out anyway."

With the memories flooding through him, Kel uncorked a healing potion and drank it all. He reminded himself to check for black fingers and toes when they returned to the village.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

When they got back to Bordermarch, Kel and Elendel were half-frozen. They walked up to the town leader and Kel dumped the bugbear's head on the ground at the man's feet. He found himself feeling sad to do so, as the cooked flesh had been warm in his backpack on the journey from the cave.

The leader smiled at the monster's head. "Looks like you've done the job. Why don't you hop on over to Lagnar's and pick up a nice hot spiced mead on the house. You can also pick up your reward there," Kel nodded as Elendel began walking toward the tavern. "And come back after you've rested up... I may have another task for you, if you're still feeling adventurous."

Kel grunted and started after Elendel to Lagnar's tavern. Walking inside was like heaven. The immediate warmth actually hurt Kel in his extremities, although he welcomed the searing pain. Elendel nodded Kel toward one of the empty tables as the elf went to the bar and spoke to the bartender who immediately poured two steaming mugs of mead.

Kel plopped down in a booth and took off his boots. two toes on his right foot were bluish grey. As much as it hurt, Kel began to massage the two clammy toes and gingerly applied liquid from a healing potion.

When Elendel finally arrived with the mead, Kel could finally feel sensation in the two toes he had been rubbing, although that sensation was not at all pleasant.

The elf pushed a mug in front of Kel and began drinking his own. "Well, elf, it seems like it's a good time to relax and tell some of those stories we've been meaning to share. It's not like I'm going to be able to walk without a limp for a few hours at least."
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Kel and Elendel sat across from each other in soft polar bear fur couches. Kel had to admit that the fine spirits of Lagnar's Tavern were indeed a force to be reckoned with.

Elendel sipped at an imported wine while Kel downed a number of mugs of ale. Kel shared stories about his life in his father's castle while he bathed his bluish toes in a lukewarm bucket of water mixed with a healing potion.

Elendel reciprocated with tales of his elven home, although Kel got the impression that the elf was sharing very little. The ale caused him to become more loquacious, so he stopped noticing after awhile as his tales became more and more unbelievable.

A few hours into their relaxation, the pair noticed a small gnome walk in and touch a glowing pillar. He was instantly transformed into a penguin and began running in circles, making funny squacking noises.

Kel began to laugh so hard, ale came out his nose. The small penguin seemed to hop up and down before turning back into a small gnome, who immediately fell on the ground.

Elendel joined in on the laughing, although the elf could not see what the humor was in a creature being polymorphed by the pillar. But he did laugh heartily when the gnome appeared to be so pleased with the transformation that he pulled out a portal scroll, activated it then touched the pillar again, transforming into a penguin again before jumping through the portal.

After the laughing finally subsided, Kel noticed that his feet had turned a pinkish hue again. The danger had passed, and now he was feeling the weariness that comes with too many ales. He considered getting up to get a room, but before he was able to stand, he fell into a deep sleep on the couch.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

He woke in what seemed a few moments later. Elendel had been gently shaking him. Kel noticed that his face was slightly flushed and that his mug of fine ale was empty.

"Whaaaisit?" he said sleepily. He then realized he felt a slight headache coming on.

"I think we're ready for our next task," Elendel seemed excited, and quite animated. Much more so than Kel was used to. "I'm sure it'll have even better bounty than the last!"

Kel mumbled something about early risers and picked himself up wearily off the couch. "Fine, fine. Just give me a second here," Kel walked up to the bar, waved another mug of frothy beverage his way, drank it in a few long swallows then wiped the foam off his mouth. "Okay... I think I'm ready now. That should help with the cold, and if not, at least I'll be loose enough to fall in a soft bit of snow when I'm hit by something."
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

The two adventurers walked into the snowy exterior. Kel slapped his arms together and stamped his feet to warm up a bit. The couple stomps from his feet reminded him that his toes were still a bit tender.

Elendel was in a rare mood. He seemed to exalt in the weather. The snow had stopped falling, and the skies were clear of clouds.

"If it weren't so damn cold," Kel muttered. "It's be one fine day."

Elendel practically rushed up to the warrior who had given them the bugbear quest. "Hello again! You mentioned other work?"

The man smiled slightly. "Are you sure you're up to it? So soon after that last hunt?"

Elendel frowned to the man as Kel walked up with a slightly sour expression on his face. "Of course we are, aren't we Kel?"

Kel grunted and pulled on a pair of warm gloves he had extracted from his pack.

"Well, if you're sure," The man shrugged and narrowed his eyes. His voice went into a rough whisper. "There is a dragon terrorizing these parts. A large white wyrm. It's been a royal pain in Bordermarch's collective asses."

Kel began to cough, but Elendel's eyes brightened as he almost shouted, "We'll do it!"

Kel stopped coughing long enough to wheeze, "WHAT?" as Elendel shook hands with the man, who turned quickly and went into a small building behind him. "Elendel? What have you just gotten us into?!?"