The Centurion Company

Use this forum for In Character Interactions only.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

viobane
Duke
Duke

The Centurion Company

Post by viobane »

Specimen One:

KELLION NORRINGTON

Kellion grew up as the third son to a rich nobleman thousands of miles across the seas of Blackstone Keep. Overshadowed by his two older brothers, he knew he would never be able to attain the wealth and status they were sure to inherit. As the years flowed by, Kellion had small fantasies of his father and brothers being killed in battle, or in a horrible disaster, or by he himself, but they were only fantasies. He would always imagine their deaths as a sidenote to the idea of actually being the Lord of their holdings.

He would never actually bring harm to them. In his own way, he liked them. At least that was what he would think and practice to himself so that the shadows of envy would not play over his face during the banquets and ceremonies where he would always be the least noticed.

Finally, there came a time where he decided that he needed to move on. There was a lot of pressure for the youngest son of a Lord to join the clergy. Sure he had always followed Eon by going to their keep's temple, and would say his prayers before sleeping at night, but he could NEVER see himself taking on the priestly vestments and being stuck in that stifling temple for the rest of his life. Besides, if he were ever to do so, his occasional dalliances to bring good fortune to the common women-folk in the nearby village would probably end. He could not stand the thought of that coming to pass.

So eventually, he decided that the only way to keep heading off the subtle suggestions of the head priest, the disapproving glances of his father and the hidden laughter of his brothers would be to leave the land entirely.

He had heard tales of a rising evil that was coming upon Blackstone Keep, and had intercepted some of the correspondence from the leaders of that region seeking assistance from his father.

Why not try to prove himself and amass his own fortune? Maybe it WAS time for him to strike out on his own, find fame and glory in another way?

After smuggling himself aboard a trading vessel sailing for Blackstone Keep, Kellion smugly grinned at his clever escape from his lands. Once they were well into the journey, he revealed himself to the captain and gave him some coin for passage and a little extra for his discretion.

He stared into the sea breeze, his hair flowing in the wind and his pointed ears becoming cold at their tips (all that was left of elven ancestors LONG past). As the waves of the sea flowed past the ship he thought to himself that things could only get better from here on out.

Last edited by viobane on Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Zacarias
Duke
Duke
Location: Chesapeake, VA - West of Virginia Beach and South of Norfolk Naval Base.

Post by Zacarias »

Specimen 2

Elendel Wood

From the start, there were many expectations for him to meet. He was the first born son of a royal, elven family. His mother, the youngest daughter of the King of the elvish city, was a gifted mage. His father was a skilled Bladecaster who had also been born into a noble family. But Elendel couldn't meet those expectations. He never excelled in magic, as he was only able to cast low-level spells. He also proved to be just an average swordsman. But one thing caught his attention.

Archery.

From the moment he saw a bow from his bedroom window he knew what he wanted to do with his life. But in his homeland, archery was a proffesion for peasants. He knew his parents wouldn't approve.

But after being caged in his estate for years, he decided to explore the world. So one night he wrote his parents a note telling them that he was going out to explore the world and that he would be back in about 50 years. In his mind, he knew they wouldn't mind. His brother was the son his father had dreamed of having and his sister was on her way to being one of the best mages in the city. He was just....a failure. He filled a sack with as much gold he could fill from his family's treasury and went out to buy an supplies: Food, a canteen, some clothes, and a bow. It was one of the most elegant bows in the city. It came with a quiver and arrows, too, so it wasn't a bad deal.

Finally, Elendel asked a merchant where he should head to. The merchant told him of a place where the gods' eyes were always focused.; a land where a man could make his fortune; a land where legends were born and where many paths met. This place was called...

...Blackstone Keep.
Last edited by Zacarias on Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zacarias
Duke
Duke
Location: Chesapeake, VA - West of Virginia Beach and South of Norfolk Naval Base.

Post by Zacarias »

It was raining. Elendel fond it hard to keep staring at the shore in the distance, where the Captain had said was their final destination, and instead gazed up at the sky. Where did the rain come from anyway? Some said that it was the gods crying, but a gnome Elendel had met earlier protested this theory.

"No, no. Rain doesn't come from the Gods tears! Through a process of evaporation, water turns to gas and...." Elendel found it hard to listen after that. That was one of the reasons he had not excelled at magic. Oh well, he still had his bow.

He shook himself out of his daydreaming and realized they had docked. Elendel gazed at the place around him. It was hardly what he had imagined. He had imagined architecture which exceded the elven architecture in his home city, or buildings made of gold, but even one thing was more important to him than anything in a city. The women.

As he gazed around he saw none of those things. To the left he saw a building made of stone and wood, and to his right he saw some children playing.

He politely asked the Captain of the ship if he had screwed up and if they were somewhere else. Instead of answering, the captain threw him off the boat. What a warm welcome indeed! Elendel brushed himself off and looked around. The buildings weren't even made of black stone. But when he saw the first female go by, he knew he had found a wonderful place. Hiz gaze went to a building with some columns in front and a dome on top. It was the most elaborate building he had seen so far, so he decided to enter.
Last edited by Zacarias on Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Kel walked off the ship, attempting to shake off his sea legs. The keep seemed much less that what he had heard tell from the mouths of merchants and bards. No wonder, though, he thought to himself, they're all in the business of lying.

He saw a number of children laughing and chasing each other in the rain, splashing in puddles in a seelmingly endless game of tag. One ran into him as he walked past. Kel put his finger in the youth's face and threatened him to watch where he was going. After the child ran off, he continued his steady stride toward the central building, which seemed to be some sort of governemental center.

He saw the "city hall" label, and figured that it would be a good place to start. Walking in, he grumbled about the quality of the decor. Specifically noting the threadbare rug gracing the center of the room.

A small elf standing to one side seemed to also be examining the room, a look of confusion and wonder on his face.

"This is not at all what I expected," the elf exclaimed. Kel noticed that he said so without noticing he had even spoken.

"Well, It is a backwater keep," Kel replied, startling the elf out of his trance. "You seem new here."

"I am... how do you say in common?" the elf had a frustrated look on his face, and his eyes gazed upward as if searching for the right word.

"Nevermind," Kel walked closer and held out his hand. "Im Kel. Kell Norrington. Nice to meet you."

The elf peered at Kel's hand as if it were a foreign object. "What are you doing?"

"What? Don't tell me elves don't shake hands? Do you just wiggle your ears together?" He grabbed the elf's hand, put it in his own and shaked it vigorously.

The elf withdrew his hand and looked back wearily at the large human. "In my country we do kiss the rings of someone who is higher in station than us. I am Elendel....." Again the elf searched for the right word. "Wood."

Kel looked to his hands. "No rings here. Pleased to meet you. You care to explore this threadbare, rustic keep with me Elendel?"
Zacarias
Duke
Duke

Post by Zacarias »

The human looked friendly enough, and of course Elendel would like to see this place he had heard so much about, so he agreed to his proposal. Thier first interest was to explore the place they currently were in. The room they where in was probably some sort of waiting room. They pressed further into the building and found two armed men along with an unarmed man.

"The Mayor?" Kellion asked.

"Hello adventurers! I am the Warden of Blackstone Keep!" The man replied.

"I should've known this place wasn't fit for any sort of aristocracy," Kellion muttered.

"Of course...." Elendel murmured back. He had figured that out long ago.

"We've been having a problem with goblins lately," The Warden continued. "Are you up for the task?"

"Not right now," Kellion replied.

They explored the building some more, but found only a study, a storage room, and a jail.

"I think I heard the town greeter say that an old farmer needed help with some wolves," Kellion told Elendel.

"Town greeter? There is a town greeter here?" Elendel asked.

Kellion laughed and they saught the old man out. They found him near the city gate, in desperate need of help. It seemed his cattle were being butchered by wolves. The two adventurers agreed to help, in return for a reward. And then they left for the farmer's pasture. Thier journey had begun.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

They explored the building some more, but found only a study, a storage room, and a jail.
"No thank you. Maybe later. Right now we're just looking around." Kel shrugged, the Warden shook his head and made a grunting sound, plopping back down into his padded chair. Immediately, he picked up his discarded feather pen, dipped it in ink and began to scawl on a piece of paper.

Kel looked again at Elendel, who was examining a tapestry of some men drinking around a table. He caught his eye and motioned toward a back door.

Kel looked over at the Warden, who seemed to ignore them, and he creeped toward the door, quietly opening it and moving inside. Elendel followed him inside and looked around the darkened room.

A small torch was held by a bronze sconce on the wall, and the sound of the flames echoed pleasantly around the room. There were a number of crates and barrels strewn about and Kel immediately started searching.

"My father would always keep a few knicknacks in a room nearby his welcoming chamber where he kept gifts from heads of state, petty cash and a few baubles of trade," he opened a crate and groaned. Elendel peeked over his shoulder into the barrels.

"Oh, apples," Elendel pushed Kel aside and picked one up.

Kel sighed. "Well, what can you expect from a backwoods keep like this," He started stuffing apples into his pack.

Elendel watched for a moment then started doing the same. "If you do it, it must be allright." Kel nodded as they finished and wandered to other parts of the keep.
Zacarias
Duke
Duke

Post by Zacarias »

Zacarias wrote: And then they left for the farmer's pasture.
To the left was a barn -probably the farmer's house- and to the right were three houses. Kellion and Elendel wandered over to the barn and looked tried to open the door.

"Probably some peasant's house," Kellion commented. Elendel nodded. "They usually keep the daughters upstairs," Kellion laughed. "I've had some adventures in that department."

They walked around the Hamlet and found a sign. It read:
"West- Pasture
North- Blackstone Road to Skara Brae."

"Well, it looks like this is the way to the Pasture," Kellion said. Elendel followed.

Nothing moved upon their entering of the Pasture. It was pouring rain. They moved off the muddy road and into the grass. They came upon several stone columns which were placed in a "U" formation.

"That's odd," Kellion commented.

"Indeed."

They wandered around the pasture and found two wolves standing over a cow's body. The first was shot in the eye by Elendel, the second was slain by Kellion.

"Nice shot!" yelled Kellion over the pouring rain. It was really coming down, now.

"Thanks! Your sword work wasn't bad either!" Elendel shouted back. But Kellion didn't hear. He was looking at a figure with a longbow in the rain. The two adventurers approached the elf cautiously.

"Greetings!" called Kellion. The man saw him, and slipped an arrow into his bow. Elendel was taken back and grapped an arrow from his quiver. But the elf didn't fire at them, or a wolf. Instead he shot down a cow.

"Dinner!" He said over the rain.

Elendel and Kellion were taken aback. "Aren't we suppose to protect the cows?" Elendel asked Kellion. Elendel was a little nervous; he feared that they might have to kill this elf.

The man overheard this and said, "No, no. Just have to kill the wolves."

Kellion seemed to be expressing the same concern of Elendel. "Let us leave this man to whatever feud he has with the farmer. We just have to get two wolf-hides." Elendel nodded, and they slipped away into the deluge.

"Look here! There's a cave in this cliff!" Elendel called.

"Indeed! Good elf eyes you have. Come, lets get out of this rain!" Elendel agreed.

They entered the cave dripping wet. Elendel wrung his cloak as dry as he could and looked around. A cave. Elendel suddenly felt reluctant to go further into the cave. What a time to figure out you're claustophobic, thought Elendel. Elves weren't meant for caves, they were meant for wide open areas. He tried to put his fear into the back of his mind as he followed Kellion into the cave.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Kellion laughed and they saught the old man out. They found him near the city gate, in desperate need of help. It seemed his cattle were being butchered by wolves. The two adventurers agreed to help, in return for a reward. And then they left for the farmer's pasture. Thier journey had begun.

As they talked with the farmer, Kel's contempt would have seemed readily apparent to any native Common speaker. To Elendel, it just seemed like a normal conversation.

When they left the town gates, entering into Blackstone Hamlet, Kel motioned Elendel to the side of the path and spoke in hushed tones.

"Hey Elendel," Kel looked from side to side, making sure no one came upon their chat. "I have an idea. We could probably make more money off this simple farmer. You have to know that for every wolf pack (and for most animals), there is seldom just ONE leader. I bet that we could kill both the den mother and her mate and present both to this farmer for more money."

Elendel seemed confused by the idea, and one eyebrow inched higher than the other. "Is this okay?"

"Of course it is!" Kel playfully hit Elendel's arm. "Would I do something that wasn't completely legitimate? This farmer may look like he can barely afford decent clothing, but come on! He's a merchant, selling his cattle, their milk and their meat to local taverns. He's ROLLING in the coin. If we take care of both wolves, he should pay us MUCH more than what he's offered."

"I guess so," Elendel scratched his head. "You're the human here. You know these lands better than I."

"Of course I do," They continued walking down the hamlet.
"Probably some peasant's house," Kellion commented. Elendel nodded. "They usually keep the daughters upstairs," Kellion laughed. "I've had some adventures in that department."

They walked around the Hamlet and found a sign. It read:
"West- Pasture
North- Blackstone Road to Skara Brae."

"Well, it looks like this is the way to the Pasture," Kellion said. Elendel followed.
"You know, Elendel," Kel stopped to the side of one of the houses. "In my own land, these small hamlets are FILLED with young lasses just begging to spend some quality time with men of our caliber."

"You think so?" Elendel looked surprised, yet somewhat intrigued.

"I KNOW so. I got into a few spots of trouble back home. My father scolded me plenty of times," Kel pulled on the door, but it was hopelessly locked. "Well, maybe later. It looks like these ladies are a bit more cautious than in my father's lands."

They walked back to the path and noticed a sign. Elendel seemed intrigued by the sign pointing to Skara Brae, but Kel pointed toward the pasture to the sounds of lowing cattle.

"Well, let's get ready for battle," Kel pulled on his helm, which had a shape eerily like a skull, and an unremarkable shield. He slowly unsheathed his longsword. Elendel pulled his bow from his back and quickly strung it. He prepared some arrows and placed them in a battle quiver attached to his belt. He nodded at Kel as they walked to the pasture.

"I could use the archery practice," Elendel stated as he test drew his longbow.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

They entered the cave dripping wet. Elendel wrung his cloak as dry as he could and looked around. A cave. Elendel suddenly felt reluctant to go further into the cave. What a time to figure out you're claustophobic, thought Elendel. Elves weren't meant for caves, they were meant for wide open areas. He tried to put his fear into the back of his mind as he followed Kellion into the cave.
Kel noticed Elendel's hesitation. He had to admit to himself that he was a bit nervous about what was in the cave, but figured that Elendel was more nervous than he, and noticed that the arrows from the elf's bow had been pretty effective in weakening the wolves for him thus far.

As they entered the cave, the musty odor of wolf was almost too much for Kel. He held back the bile that rose in his throat from the wet dog smell and pressed on. The rain ran in rivlets off of the brightly polished bronze half-plate Kel wore. As he looked at the wet elf wring out the cloak, he smiled and made a comment about the rust he would have to fight off.

They crept into the cave. Kel was relatively loud in the metal armor, and figured that even though to him all smells were drown out by the canine scents, the wolves would almost certainly figure their location of not from the clanking then from the rusty odor.

He walked causally, sword and shield leading the way. As they turned a corner, there were five or six wolves waiting for them. Kel attacked, sword shearing through wolves relatively easily. Elendel's arrows cut past him, thudding into their flesh as well.

After the small battle was over, Kel drew a hunting knife and started cutting the wolves' pelts. Glancing over at Elendel's cloak, Kel became inspired and fished a needle out of his pack.

Elendel watched curiously as Kel stitched a cape together out of the hides. "Well, normally they need to dry a bit before you wear them," Kel pulled the needle through one of the hides and put it through another, sitting on a rock as he did so. "But I figure that maybe the smell will scare them off. Or maybe cover the scent of rusting metal."

When he finished, he stored the remaining hides in his pack and redrew his sword. They continued further into the cave and around another corner they found an elf a few inches taller than Elendel. It was hard to see him fully in the muted light of the cave, but Kel could swear the elf had an unstable look to him. It was the same cow-killing elf from the pasture.

"Hello there," he said in common. "Stay away from my area!"

Kel looked to Elendel, who scratched his head. Kel joined him and went to scratch his head as well, but ended up just tapping his helm indicating his opinion of the crazy elf. The elf quickly walked away before they could make any comment.

The only way to get deeper into the cave was to follow the elf, so Kel took up pursuit despite the warning. "That's not like any elf I've ever met," Elendel said.

When they finally caught up to the elf, the growls and shouts reached them before they could see the action. An extremely large wolf was baring its teeth at the elf, and the elf foolishly wielded a small saber.

The wolf quickly took a swipe at the elf, knocking him off balance as the elf tried a swipe back. The saber hit the wolf's ear and when the wolf recoiled slightly, the elf made a jubilant sound and went in for the kill. The wolf was ready for him though and bit savagely into his upper thigh.

The elf fell in a lump, obviously knocked unconscious by the wound. The wolf instantly turned on Kel. Elendel was ready and loosed an arrow, distracting the beast. As the beast turned back to him, Kel swiped his blade over the wolf's flank, causing a deep wound.

As the wolf turned back to Kel, Elendel hit it again with an arrow.

In the chaos of the moment, the crazy eyed elf woke from his shock, covered his wound in a curative salve and crawled away from the battle.

The wolf briefly looked toward the strange elf, and the small distraction allowed Kel enough of an opening to cut the wolf's head from its body.

Kel gazed up at Elendel. "Now we wait for its mate." As he said this, he noticed the crazy elf standing at the entrance to the area they now stood in.
Last edited by viobane on Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

As Kel and Elendel looked at the elf, he frowned at them and said in a loud voice, "Guess you guys are pretty stupid, huh?"

Kel arched his eyebrows. "Stupid because we won't follow your orders to leave the area?" He shrugged. "The way I see it, you got nipped in the ass pretty easily by that large wolf over there," Kel motioned toward the lump of dead wolf and its head lying messily to one side. "and we took it out fairly easily."

The crazy elf shifted from foot to foot, obviously an amature at bluffing or intimidating. Kel noticed his torn clothing and bandaged leg and chuckled. "You have one minute to get away from us, or we may decide that we need to separate YOUR head from your shoulders, elf."

The elf stared at Kel and licked his lips. "What are your names?"

Kel openly laughed this time, a cold edge to each guffaw. "Why in the hell would we give you our names, cow-killer?"

The elf threw up his hands, his eyes going wild. "I guess you;re not as stupid as you look!" Kel raised his sword, blood dripping off the tip. The elf shuffled quickly from the opening.

Just at that moment, a growl came out from the darkness and another wolf, this time larger than the first, jumped toward Kel, landing on Kel's shield.

Kel fell backwards, and swung his sword around, barely missing the wolf as it pranced out of the way. Elendel placed three consecutive arrows in a short line on the wolf's neck.

Using the arrows as a guide, Kel quickly slashed his sword down at the arrows, connecting with solid flesh. The wolf howled in pain, and as it did so, Elendel sent two arrows into the wolf's open maw. It fell heavily to the earth.

Kel, breathing heavily, sheathed his sword. "There's your wolf," He drew his hunting knife. "Now let's skin these beasts and go back to claim our bounty."

Kel started skinning one while Elendel pulled a wicked looking dagger from his belt and made quick slices on the other's pelt. As Kel finished, he took a broken spear from the corner of the cave (next to some suspiciously human looking bones), drove it into the earth and speared the wolf's head to it.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

As they walked back to the keep, Kel and Elendel did not speak, each exhausted from fighting the wolves. On occasion in the pasture, they would see another wolf, but as the beasts ran toward them, Elendel made quick work of them with his well placed arrows.

Once they were in the hamlet, Kel pulled Elendel to the side fo the road and started whispering. "Okay, Elendel. Here's what we should do," Kel glanced around again to make sure no one was nearby. "You go to the farmer and turn in one of the large pelts. Accept the reward and then go to the city hall area. I'll go to the farmer a few minutes after and accuse you of fooling the farmer and turn in the other pelt. I'll meet you after at city hall. How does that sound?"

Elendel nodded. Kel winked at him, and the elf walked into the keep.

Kel sat on the grass and put a piece of long straw into his mouth and chewed on it for a few minutes. Enough to think that Elendel was done with his task, then he walked cautiously into the keep.

He peered around the corner at the farmer, who seemed to be collecting his items and whistling. Kel noticed the wolf pelt to one side and realized that Elendel must have turned it in. He looked around the plaza and the elf was nowhere to be found, so he stepped arounf the corner, wolf pelt in his arms.

"Hello again, farmer." Kel looked the poor man in the eyes. "I've brought your dead beast. I'm ready for my payment." Kel dropped the pelt at the man's feet. The farmer's jaw dropped.

"What do you mean?" The farmer knelt down and looked at the pelt. "An elf just came and gave me a pelt saying HE had finished with the den mother!"

Kel shook his head. "What is this world coming to? It is a sad, sad day when you can't trust the elves to be honest and good." The farmer frowned. "As you can see, though, here is the true den mother. If you look closer at that other pelt over there, I'm sure you can see that the elf gave you the den father's pelt, MAYBE, but either way my good man it appears you've been had."

"But, sir, I don't have any more money with me," The farmer's eyes shifted this way and that, darting toward Kel's face, the pelt, Kel's sword and bloodied armor. "I'm sorry, but I think you'll have to go away empty handed."

Kel growled. "No, you are correct about being sorry. *I* am the one who is sorry, farmer, but you owe me a just and righteous reward for my service to you. I have no doubt that you will honor the money you owe to me, and that you will pay it off immediately. Must I get the keep's guards involved in this matter?" Kel pointed to a red-armored guard standing at the other side of the plaza.

The farmer's eyes went wide and his shoulders drooped. "No, sir, I suppose not. What guard would believe a simple sort such as myself over a warrior such as yourself," The man put his hand into his vest pocket and withdrew a small bag that jingled with the sound of gold. "Here you are. This is all I have left. It's been tough this season with the wolves killing all my livestock, and I was going to use the money to rebuild my humble farm, but I suppose a deal is a deal. If you see that elf again, please send him before the warden. You may find him at the temple, I told him about the priestess wanting help from an adventurer."

The farmer did not meet Kel's eyes as he handed over the bag, collected his possessions and walked away. Kel hefted the pouch, weighing the contents inside, then slipped it into a pouch at his belt. He whistled as he walked toward city hall, using the same small tune the farmer had been using earlier.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

As soon as Kel found Elendel standing next to a pillar of the City Hall, he walked up to him and gripped him by the shoulder.

"You're a good companion, elf," Kel grinned from ear to ear, and Elendel followed suit. "I want you to know that I always take good care of my friends. Now let's go find a place to sell all these pelts and figure out what to do next."

"Where do we sell the pelts?" Elendel asked.

"Well, I'm not exactly sure. We haven't been through this entire keep yet," Kel looked across the plaza at the large temple. "How about we start there?"

"At a temple? They would buy wolf pelts? Is this a human custom?"

"I'm not sure. They've got to make their robes somehow, though," Kel shifted his pack and started walking. "Besides, I haven't prayed to Eon since I arrived, and I don't want to make Eon angry!"

As they walked into the temple, Elendel noticed the large humanoids standing guard nearby a large dias. He walked over to them, but they stood immobile. They may have been statues but for the large wings which made small movements at their backs.

The dias was slightly raised, and there was a small circle with runes at its center. A priestess stood to one side, large wings jutting out of her back similar to the guardians.

Kel walked up to the priestess. "Do you buy wolf pelts?" The woman looked toward him and shook her head no.

"I am sorry, but I do not conduct merchantile services," she looked Kel up and down, then looked over at Elendel and gave him the same treatment. "However, you have the look of adventure about you. I am concerned about a local crypt which has been producting undead at an alarming rate."

Elenedel's eyes widened at the mention of undead, but Kel just shifted his pack again and spoke. "Yeah, I'm not sure if you heard me or not, but I'm looking to sell these pelts, not chit chat about local problems."

"If it is money you are concerned about, human, it is money you shall receive if you can enter the Blackstone crypt and detemine what is causing the dead to rise. Normally an attitude such as yours would concern me, but at this point I am more concerned that this threat to the keep be stopped."

"That's all you had to say, priestess," Kel nodded and stepped back. "We'll take care of your little problem, and look forward to our reward. Come on Elendel."

Kel walked off to a small atrium. "I am going to take a moment to pray. If you want, take some time to look around the temple."

Elendel started gazing around at the temple architecture while Kel knelt and faced the corner of the temple. He started mumbling under his breath, and after aminute or two, Elendel was startled by a sudden burst of light through one of the windows. It hit Kel and surrounded him, and what sounded like bells tinkling briefly echoed around the temple.

Kel opened his eyes at the sudden burst of light and looked over at Elendel who was now focusing his entire attention toward him.

"What was that light?" Elendel asked.

"What light?" Kel looked confused. "I was busy praying and had my eys shut."

"There was a great light and bells and you were surrounded by it," Elendel looked amazed. "I cannot describe what I saw fully in Common."

"Well, whatever happened, let's get out of here and take care of these pelts," Kel stood and started walking toward the temple doors. "They're starting to get ripe."
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

As they stepped outside, Kel went to shift his pack and instead of shifting, it slipped from his grip and fell to the cobblstones. "What the hell?" Kel exclaimed as he picked it off the ground. "That pack is much heavier than I remember it being."

He rummaged through the pack, and nestled among the pelts were bright gold pieces of metal. They appeared very strong, and as Kel considered further, very expensive.

"How did this get in here?" Kel pulled a piece of metal out that looked like a armpiece to a suit of armor. "I sure as hell don't remember this being in here!"

"Maybe the flash of light put it there," Elendel shrugged. "It could be a gift from your god."

Kel laughed. "Don't be silly. It must be something that the castle priest placed there before I left my father's castle and I never noticed it." Kel raised his eyebrows. "But if that is the case, then I wonder why I did not notice before. I put all of the pelts in here and have a number of apples and other items. I'm sure I would have noticed something so capable of being sold."

"Speaking of which, we should continue to try and fins a place to sell these things before I permenantely smell like a wolf," Elendel pointed at others walking up the plaza and past the keep gates.

"Everyone seems to be going that way, Elendel," Kel picked up his pack and grunted. "Guess we should just follow the crowds."
Zacarias
Duke
Duke

Post by Zacarias »

As Elendel entered the merchant district, the first thing he noticed was a huge oak. From the ship, the tree had looked like a tower. The tree brought memories crashing back...

The Elven city he had been born and raised in was a grand place, and like many other elven cities, it was hidden in the heart of a forest, isolated from the rest of the world. In the center of the city, however, was the tree that had given birth to all other trees in the forest. It was a massive oak, which had been there long before any living creature had set foot on the land.

It was believed that the oak had been planted by an Elven goddess. Elendel had learned later that the rest of the world also worshipped this goddess, but they called her Lia. Whether it had actually been planted by her, no one knew.

The tree was special to the elves, and it was special to Elendel. The only time Elendel was allowed to leave the house was when he had sword fighting lessons, or on to go pray by the tree. Of course, Elendel would quickly pray and then run to explore the city further. This was how he had found out about archery, as well as the road to the rest of the world. To Elendel, the tree was like a way out of captivity.

On the night he ran from home, he stopped to pray under the great oak's many branches. This time he felt something calming and serene in the oak, something he would never feel again for a long time. He wiped a tear from his eye and left, never turning back to even say goodbye....

Elendel focussed on the great oak before him now. It was such a beautiful thing, and he wanted to know why the citizens gathered aroun that place, and he wanted to gather there with them. But not now. There was too much to do. To the right was an Emporium, and to the left a pawn shop. They went into the Emporium, but the man behind the counter wouldn't buy the pelts. After that they went into the pawn shop and sold them for a fairly good price. And then they were ready to set off again.

It wasn't the undead that scared Elendel, but it was the crypt itself. He hated underground areas. He always had the feeling that they would cave in on him, and there he would die, in a place he would be forced to call his grave... He shivered. It was only an anxiety, not a fear, he told himself as they walked back to the city gates.

He had noticed that this place was home to many odd creatures. Some had wings, some had tails, and some had both. This place was like a crossroads in more ways than one. He was beginning to be captivated by this place.

Once they stepped out onto the Blackstone road, they met an undead corpse. Elendel set two arrows into the thing's decayed torso, and Kellion ran up to meet it in a melee. Instead of fighting, the undead creature vomitted on Kellion. The sick green stomach acids of the corpse came out of its mouth like a river. Elendel almost puked, too, just from the sight. He couldn't imagine why Kellion hadn't passed out. Elendel sent another arrow into the thing's torso, which ended its undead life, hopefully for good, this time.

"Are you allright?" Elendel asked. That was worse than any bruise or scratch.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

To the right was an Emporium, and to the left a pawn shop. They went into the Emporium, but the man behind the counter wouldn't buy the pelts. After that they went into the pawn shop and sold them for a fairly good price. And then they were ready to set off again.
"Before we leave the keep again, I hear a lot of commotion to the south of us. Maybe even a spot of singing," Kel looked excited. "That can mean only one thing... A tavern! I could do with a spot of ale. Let's go!"

Before Elendel could respond, Kel started off.

When they arrived at the inn, Kel walked right in and walked up to a blue dwarf standing behind a podium.

"Elendel! Add this one to your new sights. A blue dwarf of all things!" The dwarf looked up at him scowling. "So, good dwarf, let's see what wares you have today!"

As the dwarf grumbled under his breath and pulled a chest from under the podium, Kel pinched the buttocks of a passing waitress and in the same fluid movement took a mug of ale off her tray and put five coins where the mug had been.

Kel looked through the dwarf's inventory and chose a few healing salves and found a few archery items for Elendel.

"I told you I always take good care of my friends!" Kel tossed a belt with loops for quick-drawing arrows and a bag full of potions at Elendel then turned back to the dwarf's loot. "Hmmmm... What do we have here?"

Kel took a scroll out of the dwarf's chest and looked at the label which stated it was a PORTAL SCROLL. "Well, I wonder what kind of portal this will create? Well, where we're going we may be interested in ANYplace other than where we're at, so I'll take our chances with it."

He paid the dwarf and they left the inn, heading toward the northern gates of the keep.
Once they stepped out onto the Blackstone road, they met an undead corpse. Elendel set two arrows into the thing's decayed torso, and Kellion ran up to meet it in a melee. Instead of fighting, the undead creature vomitted on Kellion. The sick green stomach acids of the corpse came out of its mouth like a river. Elendel almost puked, too, just from the sight. He couldn't imagine why Kellion hadn't passed out. Elendel sent another arrow into the thing's torso, which ended its undead life, hopefully for good, this time.

"Are you allright?" Elendel asked. That was worse than any bruise or scratch.
Kel stood a few meters away in a pool of green acidic vomit, the destroyed undead at his feet. He stepped away from the muck, his boots making a sucking sound, and stabbed his longsword into the dirt of the road. With one smooth movement, he pulled off his helmet and tossed it onto the sword's pommel.

"I'm okay, Elendel," He removed his shield and looked at the other side, covered in gore. "I don't know if I can say the same for my armor. It's going to be in serious need of a polish!"

Elendel looked a slight shade of green as he walked up to Kel as he used a cloth to wipe some of the greenish liquid off his helmet.

"Well, a fine introduction to the undead. These are some vile creatures, indeed!" As he finished wiping his helmet, he looked at the now steaming cloth and threw it into the acidic pool. "I can't help but admire their tenacity, though. I mean look at that! I can't believe all that was in that thing's stomach!"

Elendel looked away and Kel repositioned his shield, donned his helmet and drew his sword from the ground. "Let's continue, shall we?"

They walked on down the road in the fine summer heat, Kels armor clanking and Elendel making no sound at all. They noticed other undead rising from the earth, but whenever one would come up near to their position, Kel would chop it to bits with his sword.

"This must be the place of a great battle," Kel noticed an out of place building standing to the left of the road, bordered by trees. "Makes sense that they would have a crypt here then. A practical priest's solution to consecrating the grounds, I'm sure. Instead of dragging every dead body back to town and burying them there, it's easier to erect something right at the site that everyone died at."

They both walked up to the crypt. Elendel looked nervous, and it was impossible to know what Kel's face revealed under the skull-shaped helm. "You ready for another bit of spelunking, Elendel?"

"Yes, let's go." Elendel opened the crypt's door and Kel rushed in shield-first.