Disappointing

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Alter Fritz
Baron
Baron

Disappointing

Post by Alter Fritz »

After listening to gossip and rumors about "uber" areas that give good loot, I have started exploring a little more. I have located 3 such areas: the Bloodcult gang's temple, the Great White Wyrms, and the Death Chicken farm. All very tough areas, but was disappointed with the risk to reward ratio in these areas.

1. The Bloodcult gang was very tough, but Hector and Jon worked thier way to end and defeated the boss. The reward was 200 gold pieces. Hardly enough to compensate the rogue for using scrolls to keep the dwarf alive and killing.

2. The Great White Worms were extremely tough. I went here alone and soon realized I would not be killing all the Wyrms alone. I did however dispatch one of the beasts and got some dragon blood. Again I had to use up some considerable resources to kill just one Wyrm. As tough as the Wyrms are, maybe a forge stone for the trouble would be nice. Or a GWW scale that could be forged into some cool armor or something.

3. Lastly the Pycho-Death-Chicken farm. These evil little creatures are beyond tough, they are insanely tough. Here again I went alone, and after some lightening quick reflexes and considerable snake-eyed concentration was able to make my way to the King and wring his little neck. The reward for my effort was about 1000 gold pieces. I had to use a lot of scrolls again with several Heal potions, just to keep my neck off the chopping block.

Maybe I am going about this all wrong, and these were quests. Maybe the reward is in turning in something. Not sure about these areas yet.

After these experiences, I am better off farming Ants or Umgah for loot. I had expected to get good rewards for such a risk, but found the areas disappointing.

-Jon Litefingers
Frankenstein doesn't scare me...
Nizzle
Count
Count

Re: Disappointing

Post by Nizzle »

What? No Death Chicken King Armor?
I have a rendezvous with Death
At some disputed barricade,
It may be he shall take my hand
Lead me into his dark land
Close my eyes and quench my breath
I to my pledged word am true,
I shall not fail that rendezvous
Nimrod
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Nimrod »

I am in total agreement with Alter Fritz on this issue. The Blood Cult was very, very, very, difficult and even more disappointing!

I have taken Hector to the GWW area a couple times, searching for untold riches. Hector has killed his share of the beasts, and died an uncountable amount of times, and never found even a magical item, much less a unique item or forge stone. It is great that we have these areas that are insanely difficult, even for the well equipped and well built lvl 40's to go and do. But there needs to be incentive for us to gear up, make scrolls and go do these areas. These areas should have better drops than other areas, being they are much more difficult than other areas!

I know some would say "Well if we have good drops in these areas, then people will just build toons just to hunt these areas!"
And I would say to you, "Ya....so?" Isnt that the point of having these monsters that are so tough? There is no real thrill in killing a monster really, as much as there is in looking in the loot bag, or hearing the sound of a forge stone dropping, the reward for the effort, makes the effort worth while. Lets face it we all love finding loot, dont we? Killing ants, should not be more rewarding than the Killer Chickens, GWW's, or the Blood Cult gang!!! The Dead Kings Tomb is very difficult, and the reward is there every time, I just dont understand why the other "UBER" areas are not the same.?
Dan8145
Duke
Duke

Post by Dan8145 »

I think you'll find that 2 of these areas are, or were, more play areas for bored DM's lol. The chickens do, however, drop one of the finest items in the game...as Nizzle stated. Bloodcult is a quest area..there's your reward and the GWW are just a bit of fun.

Go try Shalnath and enjoy your pitiful FU. You'll ee what I mean ;-)
Nizzle
Count
Count

Post by Nizzle »

Dan8145 wrote:I think you'll find that 2 of these areas are, or were, more play areas for bored DM's lol. The chickens do, however, drop one of the finest items in the game...as Nizzle stated. Bloodcult is a quest area..there's your reward and the GWW are just a bit of fun.

Go try Shalnath and enjoy your pitiful FU. You'll ee what I mean ;-)
Unique, but one of the finest items... Hardly. Ever heard of the Lance of Vor? Now that there, is a beauty.
Alter Fritz
Baron
Baron

Post by Alter Fritz »

I don't want anyone to think I am complaining about these areas, just the reward for the risk is what I am talking about. I probably should have put this thread in the 'sugestions' catagory.

I have heard that the Bloodcult gang is a quest, that is great. I would just suggest some loot drops that fit the strength of the area.

The GWW is a bit of fun? Not sure I agree with that. Fun would be risking my arse, barely surviving and getting some good treasure. I guess my idea of fun isn't just getting spanked by an UBER monster, and getting nothing for my trouble.

'Chicken King Armor'? Yeah, this is why I went there. I had heard of the legendary armor and was checking to see if it was an urban legend or real. Chicken King dead, and NO armor. Still a legend in my opinion. (kinda like the luck stone) =)

I do love the idea of 'uber' areas that are a real test for fully forged level 40 characters. I am just saying the reward was not there. I have been told the Bloodcult gang is a waste of time, and don't go to the GWW or Death Chickens without a DM present. I get the feeling these great areas are just being under-used. WIth a better loot drop system set up for these areas, more people would gear up to try these areas out.

Just my thoughts.

-Jon Litefingers
Nizzle
Count
Count

Post by Nizzle »

Alter Fritz wrote:'Chicken King Armor'? Yeah, this is why I went there. I had heard of the legendary armor and was checking to see if it was an urban legend or real. Chicken King dead, and NO armor. Still a legend in my opinion. (kinda like the luck stone) =)
I believe Driller tinkered with the drop script after certain people started farming the place. Suddenly it became too easily available, but despite it's rarity, it isn't much to talk about.
Dan8145
Duke
Duke

Post by Dan8145 »

Didn't think you were complaining, I agree in a way. For greater danger, there should be greater reward. But Nizzle is right...Umgahs got farmed to death, hence the drops have fallen off. In my time Chickens were quite popular for the better builds and I've done the Bloodcult/GWW run a few times with little reward.

And no Nizzle, never seen that spear. guessing some +10 eb uberness lol.
Nizzle
Count
Count

Post by Nizzle »

Dan8145 wrote:Didn't think you were complaining, I agree in a way. For greater danger, there should be greater reward. But Nizzle is right...Umgahs got farmed to death, hence the drops have fallen off. In my time Chickens were quite popular for the better builds and I've done the Bloodcult/GWW run a few times with little reward.

And no Nizzle, never seen that spear. guessing some +10 eb uberness lol.
Not many people may remember it. It's got some pretty awesome stuff on it, plus 2d12 magic damage. Can't remember if it's 10 eb or 20 AB.
Alter Fritz
Baron
Baron

Post by Alter Fritz »

Ok, I would like to make a correction. It seems the chicken farm isn't so bad for loot. After some further investigating of the fowl creatures, Hector and I found that the loot from the chickens is pretty good. The King's armor doesn't drop everytime you kill the king, in fact pretty rare. We did get our hands on a set, and it was very nice. Then some script must have nerfed it, and now its just nice. So I can say the chicken farm does have a good risk to reward ratio. It is a very hard place for forged lvl 40 characters to go to, but its kinda fun(because of the loot).

-Jon Litefingers
Dan8145
Duke
Duke

Post by Dan8145 »

Well I'm glad you found the armour, even though it got nerfed. Makes the effort worthwhile...kinda ^^
Roland Deschain
Duke
Duke

Post by Roland Deschain »

I've killed that King at least fifty times and haven't gotten the armor :( So consider yourself lucky
Roland Deschain
Alain Johnson
Cuthbert Allgood
Marten Broadcloak
Cort
Rarebru Balancebringer
Walter O' Dim
Sleepy
Feanara Telrunya
Dan8145
Duke
Duke

Post by Dan8145 »

Now where's that Violin? ^^
Pharo_IK
Count
Count

Post by Pharo_IK »

loot drops based on random percentage. it is possible for good luck to grant you great rewards every time. it is also possible that bad luck will grant you nothing but pocket lent every time. ideally, the amount of loot will be something inbetween those two extremes.

Pharo
Lady Winesa Kenders(RIP): Divine Daughter of Lia, Treaty Holder of the Starkson Protectorate (All realms), Guardian of the Wildlands, Keeper of the Night´s Breath, Speaker of the Great Oak, Champion of Balance.
Alter Fritz
Baron
Baron

Post by Alter Fritz »

Thanks for the explanation of percentages Pharo_IK, but I understand how it works. My point of this post was that in tougher areas, the percentages should be higher for the drop or the drops should be better. I have admitted that I should have put this in the suggestions catagory--my bad. I have also said that after further exploration of the chickens I found it very satisfactory. The risk to reward ratio was good. I have only been to the GWWs once, only killed one Wyrm. Not enough to test this area I admit, but as hard as one was to kill I would have thought a great reward for one. Now comes the Bloodcult gang(yes I know its a quest area), after fighting through 5 areas and killing the end boss the reward was 200 gold pieces. The loot was no better than Ants or even Tyranoids for that matter. I am not complaining about the server, I have been here a long time, and play on many accounts very often. I was just trying to make a suggestion. This was just a bit of constuctive critsysm, from someone who plays on the server ALOT. I am not trying to step on anyone's feelers. =)