So you want to be a DM?

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

G_n_S_Penzance
Knight
Knight

Re: So you want to be a DM?

Post by G_n_S_Penzance »

No, I am not throwing my hat in the ring. Just making some points.

A DM's time in any server can only be as active as real life allows them to be.
New ideas and new concepts aren't always easy to come by.
At some point your DM, no matter how good and clever they are, will eventually get tired and need a break.
Players need to inspire the DM, and DMs need to inspire the players, it works both ways.
Without an active roleplaying DM players get stagnate as well.
Players need to be more forgiving of the DMs.
DMs need to get their heads on straight, and avoid childish actions when they are having a bad mood.
Its time to step away for a break, when either player or dm resorts to grief play.

Now with that said, I would like to say, you have a good listing of DMs on this server. If they are not off on RL needs, but rather, off playing a character, what is needed to inspire the people you already have listed to start actively DMing again?

The new CEP 2.1 and the 1.69 patches, will bring some life back into the game.
What can inspire a DM is new areas to work with, and I should have the Isle of the Freefolk ready soon and sent to Driller.
My thought on that is to have it open for all to access, no key required locked doors at all.

How about a roll call of current active DMs here.

Its very possible to script out ideas and stories that can ( with proper props) bring life back into the DMs currently available.

Just some thoughts here,
~Pemmy
--Pemmyton the Arcitect.
--Veri ( Pemmyton's pixie familiar )
BaskingDemon
Count
Count

Post by BaskingDemon »

I'd be an outstanding DM believe it or not.

"If you change your mind, I'm the first in line
Honey I'm still free, take a chance on me"
The rules are.. THERE AIN'T NO RULES
tropiofCancer
Count
Count

Post by tropiofCancer »

Bramb Wayfare , DragonX , and Nizzle are by far the best candidates for a DM position . As a matter of fact ,believe it or not Hordack would be a damn good one as well .
"Jesus Saves.....and takes half damage."
Milk_Chocolate
Duke
Duke

Post by Milk_Chocolate »

I notice lots of people wanting to be DM's and that's great, but I am curious if they can answer these questions:

1) Do you have any experience with the toolset or the DM client?
Why? Anyone can spawn a monster and call it an event. But can you spice it up a bit with visual effects? Sounds?

2) Can you IMPROVISE?
Why? Anyone can plan out a story/event and have players go with it. But players do not always cooperate (I don't mean they negatively affect the event, I mean something can come up that changes the flow of things). Can you improvise to sudden changes to make a story interactive, and not just exactly what you had planned out?

3) Will you interact with players on a regular basis?
Why? A DM doesn't always have to be a watchdog in the sky. It is lots of fun when a DM pretends to be an NPC, diety, or even a cat and interacts with players with made-up quests, conversation and just plain good rp. DM_Mystic is good at this.

4) Will you abuse your DM powers?
Example of a crappy DM:

[Edit]MC, If you have SceenShots of what you consider to be abuses by DM's, then you should follow procedure and send them to the head DM. Do not post posts that could viewed as carefully editted or could be misunderstood. When there are claims of a problem with a DM, they are vetted by their fellow DM's and the Admins. Trying to sidestep the process draws negativity towards you rather than your concern.
If your unsure who to send such sheetshots to, send them to me. ... Please also include the approximate time EST so that we can pull the server log if needed for further review.
Myle
[/Edit]

Another example of a crappy DM (spawned 10 umgah at once, some are not on the screen)

Just to set things straight, I'm not the one who is going to pick who becomes a DM, but as a loyal BSK player it would be great to see DM's with the four qualities I brought up.
Nizzle
Count
Count

Post by Nizzle »

Milk_Chocolate wrote:I notice lots of people wanting to be DM's and that's great, but I am curious if they can answer these questions:

1) Do you have any experience with the toolset or the DM client?
Why? Anyone can spawn a monster and call it an event. But can you spice it up a bit with visual effects? Sounds?

2) Can you IMPROVISE?
Why? Anyone can plan out a story/event and have players go with it. But players do not always cooperate (I don't mean they negatively affect the event, I mean something can come up that changes the flow of things). Can you improvise to sudden changes to make a story interactive, and not just exactly what you had planned out?

3) Will you interact with players on a regular basis?
Why? A DM doesn't always have to be a watchdog in the sky. It is lots of fun when a DM pretends to be an NPC, diety, or even a cat and interacts with players with made-up quests, conversation and just plain good rp. DM_Mystic is good at this.

4) Will you abuse your DM powers?
1) I have both. My specialty lies within stirring up RP and creating a menacing plot for people to immerse themselves in. Visual effects and sounds are all good as supplements to the events, but the real key in my opinion lies within the story being built up from scratch, but don't get me wrong. The supplementing factors is what can make a difference, between good and flat out great.

2) Yes I can. What is important in events is not to try and take control of everything; lay out a general plan that you'd like for things to follow, but the key to it is having the plan as an option for the players to follow, and have the center of attention be on them. If for example I had set up a bunch of Hunters to rid a house haunted by a Vampire or some such, and the good doers just rushed in without even thinking of bringing a stake or some holy. Seeing that I had planned for the vampire to only be killed by a stake, I would improvise and make the Vampire flee seeing as he had been out manned but couldn't be killed. There are lots of possibilities for switching things up. Key factor being that you make it fun and interesting for the people whom are playing in the event, and that you let them be creative in their own fashion.

3) Being a long time standing player myself, I know there are times when you are one of the few people on the server and there's nothing to do. But I also know that if your not trying to do something to get into a RP yourself, it's your own fault. A DM is mainly there to spice up things and make sure everything is in order, but what I think has been lacking for quite a while is the continuing story lines which people miss. Sure it's cool to get a few forgies for destroying Shalnath once in a while, but people really want a deep storyline they can be a part of and effect the outcome of. I do believe and I can do that and much more.

4) Abuse? I hope not. I hope people will tell me if and when I have stepped over the boundaries, and of course that I don't annoy any players should I become a DM. A DM's job is to make it fun for everyone, not to create a atmosphere of hatred and animosity.
I have a rendezvous with Death
At some disputed barricade,
It may be he shall take my hand
Lead me into his dark land
Close my eyes and quench my breath
I to my pledged word am true,
I shall not fail that rendezvous
DM_Shadowlands
Knight
Knight

Post by DM_Shadowlands »

I agree with the points that Milk_Chocolate made. Often folks dont' realize what is behind the curtin and what is expected of them. For myself I have been a dm for years on different servers and a long term player on BSK. The power trip (if I ever had it) has long since been over and it's all in the game for me. First off you do have two mind sets and be very strict on yourself. More so that anyone else in the game. As a player you are another person totally and act such. As a DM you are performing a balancing act. You have to show power over the storyline, keep folk's interest and oversee any problems that come up.

To be a DM is a act of trust by the owner of the game. They expect you to perform not to your rules but theirs. Even if you do not agree with them they are the boss. You have to step beyond yourself and look at it also through the eyes of your boss. What do they want in their game? Then look at it through the players.. but not all of them. There are just somethings that are no and no and HELL NO!

Good DMs are hard to find and often when you do they burn out. There is also a difference between RP DMs and Admin DMs. At times folks on BSK have confused the two and think a Admin DM is a bad person when they are only making the game safe and making sure folks are following the rules. They do not RP and need little excuse to correct players.

Yes DMs do go overboard it's not always that easy figure out what NPC monster is best for the players. DMs like Myle are hard on folks but also fair and do great RPs. There has been other DMs in the past that did great too like Unicorn and Griphon. All three have done great events that kept going for months even when they were not online and had to catch up to the players.

My goal is to do as they did in the past and provide interesting RPs that will keep players going and enjoying the storyline. And I hope talk about it for years to come. Do note while someone makes a great RP player they will not nessary make a good DM. And also the server might loose RPs due to the now DM no longer playing as a player. Often one duty will over shadow the other. So the choice is loose player RP or gain DM event RP. And from experience being a DM is not a cake walk...for one you can only be in one place at a time so you don't always hear everything said. Players often think DMs know everything and see everything. Not so in fact we might see and hear less that you as a player.

In any case for myself I will be doing events on Wednesdays and maybe on Sundays. I'll have to check my schedule. While I wont' be full time do to RL I will put my time in and it should be fun for all.
Little things can lead to... just about anything.

DM_Shadowlands :finger:
XDragonDoomX
Baron
Baron

Post by XDragonDoomX »

OK, so I guess it's time to put some information out.

First of all, I'd like to thank all those that have supported me, whether I am chosen or not, it is humbling somewhat to see the endorsements I have been given.

I am a long term player of NWN, I have previously co-run a server (which, due to technical problems for a close friend of mine, is no longer up and running). I have experience with the toolset - I was one of the dev's, doing areas, items & creatures (although, I cannot script to save my life....). Prior to this I was active in PnP gaming (using the original D&D, then 1st Edition AD&D & 2nd Edition AD&D).

I will have to rely on others to comment on my RP skills, I would also need some guidance for running an event.

I believe I can bring entertainment and interest. I believe I have displayed my commitment for the good of Blackstone Keep in several ways - making myself available for bug testing and also during the time when people were logging in and finding themselves in 'Area 0', giving freely of my time to try and give gentle guidance.

I try, as a player, to make myself available, not just for events, but also to assist others with information about the world and where requested, builds, gear, etc. I am also willing to research an answer to a question, or to provide the necessary details for the person asking to obtain the information (and more) for themselves.

If selected, I will give, willingly, of my time and any resources availalble to me, to aid, and if possible, improve, the experience that people have at Blackstone Keep.

XDDX
139. My bard is required to take levels in the perform skill and cannot 'just play by ear'

2. A one man band is not an appropriate bard instrument.

26. Valley speak has no place in a fantasy setting. Especially if you're the paladin.
Doofy Britches
Duke
Duke

Post by Doofy Britches »

Hmm. Hmm. I would be interested in discussing the possiblity of serving as a DM...

1) I've been on the server for a bit now.. (coming up on 3 years) - time and hours enough to have learned the player community, and understand the intent, and design of the sever.
2) I have actively participated in and added to (I think) discussions and interactions on the forums- sometimes the OOC dicussions on various topics from player interactions to balance issues weigh very importantly to events and play IG- and demonstrate depth of understanding as to game play, fairness, and keeping things fun.
3) Though BSK is my only long term "real" NwN experience- I have been a D&Der' and PnP DM for more years that I wish to admit to.
4) My conduct on the server has always been in the best interest of fair play, and in keeping with the spirit (as we best understand it) of the server creator, and DM's.
5) My OOC occupation, and maturity bring a degree of qualifiction to consideration for the role.
6) I understand there is much I'd need to learn and receive in mentorship from the other DM's, and would welcome that opportunity.

If Driller, you feel these qualifications form a framework for what you consider to be a good DM, I'd look foward to discussing the specifics of what you expect of your DM's- and the level and type of activity you are looking for in a new crew memeber.

Regards,

Doofy
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and to not sow discord. - Gary Gygax
BaskingDemon
Count
Count

Post by BaskingDemon »

A DM's job is not to create a atmosphere of hatred and animosity. - Nizzle

I'd say it was a prime requisite.
The rules are.. THERE AIN'T NO RULES
Nizzle
Count
Count

Post by Nizzle »

BaskingDemon wrote:A DM's job is not to create a atmosphere of hatred and animosity. - Nizzle

I'd say it was a prime requisite.
There's a difference between the IC and OOC version of hatred and animosity.
At some disputed barricade,
It may be he shall take my hand
Lead me into his dark land
Close my eyes and quench my breath
I to my pledged word am true,
I shall not fail that rendezvous
Wzorin
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Wzorin »

We definitely need more DMs!!! Where are they?!
Daris
Knight
Knight

Post by Daris »

i had a dm do that to me too.....only diffrence is i killed the umghas easily and no worries.....dm's do that from time to time it isn't a crappy dm it is just to keep us players entertained....i would have had a blast with it actualy :D
Marcus.. General Of the Starkson Protectorate
Thanatos
Duke
Duke

Post by Thanatos »

All 3 would probably be pretty solid. I'd apply, but let's face it, being a DM requires time and responsibility. I have neither...dang girlfriend :cry:
Fact: Ninjas are mammals
Fact: Ninjas fight ALL the time
Alamore-Threepwood
Count
Count

Post by Alamore-Threepwood »

Ahhh come on Thanny... you would make a great DM, as long as the whole server was drunk as well bro... but I think I could also make a great DM, and this is why, I cuss a lot... and I never play... I think it's perfect =D
Yes, I know, you think all of my suggestion are stupid, but you know what, there is nothing wrong with adding an action server feeling to a role playing server.

If your not worth a good laugh, your worth nothing at all.
Lord_Stubby
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Lord_Stubby »

Hi, for years I have always wanted to be a DM on blackstone keep. Some of you may remember me, others may not, for I have taken a 6 month break from the game. Before that I played on Blackstone keep for 4 or 5 years. I have experienced many aspects of the keep, my characters have been Hunters, Starksons, SIE guild members, and members of the covenant of evil. I have about ten years of RP experience, and have consistently RPed the characters of Perrin Baldaldows and Joseph THron. I think I would be a valuable asset as a DM because I would love to interact with characters in game and create interesting events for a more enjoyable experience, I also believe I would be a good choice because I have some DM experience on NWN servers and I know a great deal about BSKs history.