Greetings: Poll on Freefolk Isle interests

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

G_n_S_Penzance
Knight
Knight

Greetings: Poll on Freefolk Isle interests

Post by G_n_S_Penzance »

Not sure how to exactly set this up as a voting poll.

I have been away for a time, and I am currently updating the Isle o the Freefolk for the time 1.69 and Cep 2.1 are added into BSK.
With this in mind,
I want to discuss interests.

Firstly, I have hunted around and noticed the majority of Freefolk ( core players ) have vanished. This happens with every game and every server from time to time.
So I have decided to propose some changes:
Do you want Keys?
Seriously, what value are locked areas that look really cool if no one but 2 or 3 people can get into them?
My thoughts on possibilities, of doors, is locking them and allowing them to be picked open, and relocked, as well as becing "knocked" with a spell.
This would promote roleplay I believe.

One problem I am thinking, is so many guilds or clans are short lived, or change hands so often.

The Isle of the freefolk, as it is being called, should be a free-for-all place, regardless of your factions, a place where you can go to meet friends, and so on.

So I am thinking, if the majority approves, that this Isle, be opened to anyone willing to come roleplay there. No locked doors that cannot be picked.
No place a spy cannot hide and sift secrets.
A place where one day, a Starkson gathering may take place, and the next, a Hunter's gathering, or perhaps the Shadowstalkers, or any other group willing to venture forth onto its lands for a bit of roleplay.

( Could be some interesting power struggles too, if people want )

What do you think?

Freefolk's Isle, opened for all? Or shall it remain locked away for only the members to see?
--Pemmyton the Arcitect.
--Veri ( Pemmyton's pixie familiar )
Pi'el
Commoner
Commoner

Re: Greetings: Poll on Freefolk Isle interests

Post by Pi'el »

Open it up for all to enjoy...

For if there are doors that need opening and shadows to hide in then it sounds like a great place to visit. If it is for members only, well you said it yourself
Firstly, I have hunted around and noticed the majority of Freefolk ( core players ) have vanished. This happens with every game and every server from time to time.
With that I think that you answered your own question...
"Bravery and I are not on intimate terms – my natural curiosity is tempered with caution, thus I've lived long." - Cheshire Cat
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

Turn it into a place to hunt!!! Have the ghost of Chifawn and Eric Skillagrimson haunt the place, boss monsters to kill!! =P~
G_n_S_Penzance
Knight
Knight

Post by G_n_S_Penzance »

*chuckles*
Okay, unless I hear differently, then the remake of the Freefolk Isle will become open to the public.

Are you all happy with calling it the Isle of the Freefolk?
do you have any suggestions for another name?
Let me know.
--Pemmyton the Arcitect.
BaskingDemon
Count
Count

Post by BaskingDemon »

The Estate of Edmund Black?
The rules are.. THERE AIN'T NO RULES
Andrun
Baron
Baron

Post by Andrun »

I believe that opening up Freefolk island might promote RP.

As for possible content, I think a pub where one can buy a drink or two with friends without the incessant chatter of NPCs (see the Playful Maiden of what is not a good bar) might prove worthwhile. But do not have it devoid of NPCs, the extra bodies would make it seem more realistic.

I believe a Mages Tower might prove useful to promote RP. Who knows, maybe some mages (or a new Mages Guild) might move in there.

Have a 'commons' area (likely right outside your pub) with a stage or the like where people can gather and RP.

Give reasons for people to be able to pick the locks on some of the doors in the town, but do not make them all lockable.

I staunchly believe that the main reason why people RP so much at the big tree in Blackstone Keep is because of accessibility. It's right next to a tower crier, the arena, a bar (if you want to spend the 500,000g entry fee), a crafting vendor, a pawn shop, etc... Everything one might ever want/need is right in the general vicinity. When running through town, if you see someone sitting on the bench, chances are they're either afk or they want to RP. Also, the general area to RP isn't spread out all over town. It is essentially the little spot around the tree, so people will generally gravitate to that area and be 'forced' to interact with one another; again, generating beneficial RP.

I'm all for the change of Freefolk island and would be more than willing to help whoever is building the place (I have more than a few ideas on the subject). I believe if it was done properly, it might be utilized to being some RP back to the server.

However, I must cut this short as I'm wrapping up lunch at work. If you would like more ideas, please PM me on here or see me in game as one of the following characters... Andrun Hammertower, Eldrun Hammertower or Dugan Wayfare.
G_n_S_Penzance
Knight
Knight

Post by G_n_S_Penzance »

I've PM'd Driller the replacement areas for the Isle of Freefolk.
I thought the name "Freefolk Isle" was cheezy and needed a change. I have renamed it Shalestone Isle.
90% of the Isle will be completely changed visually, and You will not recognize it for the most part.
More compact than before, Not so spread out, but still with many many places to explore.

If the areas meet with drillers approval, then, they will be ready for 1.69 and CEP 2.1 updates :)
Cheers,
~Pemmyton
--Pemmyton the Arcitect.
G_n_S_Penzance
Knight
Knight

Post by G_n_S_Penzance »

Andrun wrote:I think a pub where one can buy a drink or two with friends without the incessant chatter of NPCs (see the Playful Maiden of what is not a good bar) might prove worthwhile. But do not have it devoid of NPCs, the extra bodies would make it seem more realistic.
There is a Tea House, as well as inside the Manor house, a Tavern.
Andrun wrote: I believe a Mages Tower might prove useful to promote RP. Who knows, maybe some mages (or a new Mages Guild) might move in there.
I have an Old Library, which was roughly based off the Mage tower in the Freefolk's thats currently on BSK. The Library has a nice lab inthe basement, as well as a side room, of arcane symbols and designs for various wizardly rites I presume.
Andrun wrote: Have a 'commons' area (likely right outside your pub) with a stage or the like where people can gather and RP.
Ahh yes, I have more than a few of these. I have a campfire, with chairs around it ( see current Freefolks for an idea of that ) I have an outdoors stage, with seating. And there is a Large Circus Tent that would be perfect for entertaining a crowd, or a secondary arena.
Andrun wrote:Give reasons for people to be able to pick the locks on some of the doors in the town, but do not make them all lockable.
Most doors are open, with the option to relock them. the skills needed for this are not really high.
Andrun wrote: I staunchly believe that the main reason why people RP so much at the big tree in Blackstone Keep is because of accessibility. It's right next to a tower crier, the arena, a bar (if you want to spend the 500,000g entry fee), a crafting vendor, a pawn shop, etc... Everything one might ever want/need is right in the general vicinity. When running through town, if you see someone sitting on the bench, chances are they're either afk or they want to RP. Also, the general area to RP isn't spread out all over town. It is essentially the little spot around the tree, so people will generally gravitate to that area and be 'forced' to interact with one another; again, generating beneficial RP.
Well, vendors to keep consistency with items and materials in the game, will have to be a decision of Driller to add in. I merely redesigned it for a roleplaying tool to be used by players and DM alike.
--Pemmyton the Arcitect.