The Blackstone Times

Use this forum for In Character Interactions only.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Fyren
Knight
Knight

The Blackstone Times

Post by Fyren »

// If possible, please refrain from adding comments to this thread :) .

Editorial.

May it please the citizens of Blackstone Keep. I have recently noticed an opening for a small business concern, namely an occasional parchment of news. I have, between appointments at the Maiden and various eating and drinking establishments, the wherewithall to attempt to fill this gap.

Kynan Bladvick, Gentleman of Leisure, Importer of exotic impedimenta, etc.

Nature Watch.
I would like to bring to the attention of the local populace the wonder of that great tree in the square.
Since my arrival I have noticed comings and goings of various types. Indeed people have seemed to fall out of the branches the same way leaves fall from other trees. Of note, I have seen, recently four different types of dragons. Not being the adventuring type, I have kept a small notebook of information from tales those brave enough to venture forth have regaled me with. The most recent was an adult Red Dragon, walking by. I did try to follow this fearsome beast, but it must have taken flight. Prior to that was a Green Dragonling, a very intelligent creature who could speak. It even supplied the name of a felon to a most terrible crime of at the worst murder, at the least supplying a young gentleman with poisoned or drugged alcohol. The friendly Ranger will, I am sure, recognise some of the details of this.
Also appearing has been a faerie dragon, with the most beautiful wings, butterfly like and delicate. The final creature was a pseudo dragon, the name suggests it is not of true dragonkind, however I am not certain this would be correct.

Local Happenings
It is amazing, I wander around the town, in and out of public buildings. Some conversations are overheard and I have even been beckoned into alleyways and corners to be informed of some gossip. My sources are, I believe, impeccable. As such, I must protect them at all costs.
I recently reported on the demise of a local resident, assassinated at the Oasis in cold blood. It would appear there is more afoot. I have heard, from more than one whispered source, of some possible 'fatal accidents' that will occur to at least two prominent residents and these accidents have been designed from 'on high'. While the details are sketchy, with the first death having occurred, then I must advise all to take extra precautions with their safety.

If you see me around the town, and wish to advise me of any snippets of knowledge or more fabulous sightings by that wonderful tree, then please feel free to let me know. A small caraffe of good wine or a bite of excellent food will also not go amiss, as I do delight in my creature comforts.

This publication is privately financed and independent of any body or guild. Anyone trying to subvert the nature of it will feel the wrath of my tongue. Do not expect satisfaction in the arena, as I have little skill with arms and quite frankly the sight and scent of blood makes me feel quite ill. Having said that, I hope you enjoy this occasional periodical and look forward to reading it as much as I look forward to publishing it.

Kynan Bladvick.
Fyren
Knight
Knight

The Blackstone Times

Post by Fyren »

Nature Notes

I learned somthing of small interest to anyone keen on raising Dragons. Apparently they can live quite happily on a diet of
'Morg'. This has been vouchsafed to me by one 'Servant' of Halaster Blackcloak, who apparently has a tame Green Dragon.
In the keep recently also was a Hell Hound. I recognised the beast immediately from a description I had been given previously and written in my notebook. How marvellous to see such a creature in the flesh, so to speak. I still do not know what the creature was doing in the keep, but I must believe it was reasonably harmless as the guards paid it not one bit of interest.

Keep News

It has been a busy time recently. There is a rude and coarse fellow by the name of Luther, who either has the appearance of being of half orc stock, or has been extremely unfortunate in life with his looks. He was calling on residents to follow a 'dark lord'. He would not name this 'lord', merely uttered threats towards my person. I later ascertained that this 'dark lord' is none other than the god, Kazra. A slightly strange person, who I learned has the name of Vayne, informed me there were no such things as gods. A valiant, but possibly foolhardy, opinion. He then ventured the view that he could, with the help of his 'fat friend', dispose of such a personage. I have yet to discover the name of his 'fat friend', other than it is a mage.

I have heard from several sources that there is a 'storm approaching'. While taking all due care in my preparations for adverse weather, it occurred to me that the 'storm' is possibly not actually a weather condition, but in fact this possibility of an appearance by a god.

The trouble stirrer, Luther, was encouraging people to depart with him. Later he also went into a private conversation, one unfortunately that I was not privvy to, with one 'Captain Cervantes', a fine looking fellow. I do hope he has his head screwed on the right way.

And on a final note. I hear, from a source very close, that the mage, Halaster Blackcloak, is meddling in dangerous arcane arts, which from all accounts may threaten us all. Stormy weather indeed.

Kynan Bladvick, Editor, Gentleman of Leisure, Importer of Exotic Impedimenta.
Fyren
Knight
Knight

The Blackstone Times

Post by Fyren »

Nature Notes.

Hellhounds appear to be more common here than previously thought. Several have been seen recently in the Town. Due to their nature, I have had to keep my distance and few can give me details about their dietary needs or habits. I shall endeavour to keep you informed.

Arcane Corner

I was recently shown a marvellous item. A ghosts rod. The vendor, the Servant of the Mad Mage, who by the way, is a most reasonable and benevolent employer, despite any earlier stories to the contrary, oh, I digress, the vendor displayed it to me. It makes the user turn a most agreeable color of purple. However it does not render the user with the ability to walk through walls as a ghost may. Servant did display this lack to me, I hope now he has recovered from the nasty bump he suffered during the necessary tests to ensure the veracity of this report. (I had to add the last part as it has been impressed upon me recently that I should try to make sure I report nothing but the truth.)

Out and about in Town

May I first of all request that you take a seat. Some of the information I must reveal is not for the faint hearted. Should there be children present, please usher them out of the room and find them something to occupy themselves with safely.
I have been informed, by sources who must, for their own safety, remain anonymous, of an affair of the heart in high places. I fear corruption in the very heart of one of the most esteemed establishments of Blackstone.
It is said that Marcus, of the Hunters, has been keeping amorous trysts, with the leader, Pheadra Hawk. Neither have, obviously, confirmed this to me, but several concerned persons have vouchsafed this to be the truth. Should this be, then it undermines the leadership of the Hunters and shows a disregard for any vows either may have taken towards anyone else, to put it bluntly, capable of betrayal. This paper wishes to extend its sympathy to the Lady Arial and her daughter in these difficult times.

~Advertisement~
*All your adventuring needs catered for by the Merchants Guild. Good Honest Prices from Good Honest Traders*
*Please see the various representatives around the town and state your requirements*
*A Lifetime Guantee on all goods. -refunds only to original purchasers, not to surviving relatives-
- The paper wishes to acknowledge, with gratitude, the contribution made by Lady Wine for her input -
Fyren
Knight
Knight

The Blackstone Times

Post by Fyren »

Exclusive.

Hunter Hospitality At Its Finest.

When Inviting A Guest For Dinner Means Just That.

I was taking a stroll this evening, as is my wont, when I was accosted by gentleman most concerned for the safe regard of one of Blackstones citizens. A gentle, though unwashed, Dwarf by the name of Igor was apparently bundled out of the keep to some location, believed to be the home of the Hunters. I have been reliably informed that he was offered the chance to feed their pet. Such a kindly dwarf would not have refused, though I am fairly sure any pet would refuse to accept food from him until his hand had been washed for a week.

It turns out the offer was not quite what he thought, he WAS to be the food. My dear readers, can you imagine his terror ? He apparently passed out in fear and was later brought around, goodness only knows what indignities were heaped upon him.
They then offered him a last chance to pray to his deity. The poor creature threw his fate on kindly Lia, favoured by many for her apparent gifts while adventuring. Ale was then forced down the throat of this poor unfortunate. I cannot imagine a worse fate, indeed not.

The Dwarf was then bodily dragged into a room with a chair. I learned of his bravery, shouting his defiance 'Damn Your Eyes'. They then announced he was innocent of everything(1) and released him. This information was obtained by several who saw him staggering through the town, muttering about his ordeal. Unfortunately I have not yet been able to speak to the Dwarf concerned as, unsurprisingly, he seems to have disappeared.

*(1) I still have my suspicions that he was responsible for my valuable crate of wine to go 'missing' after being seen lurking around the docks, but this is not the time to air such views.

I fear news may be sporadic from now on. I have arranged a secret bolt hole, from which I hope to be able to provide reports from time to time. I have heard that now I am wanted, oh goodness me, a wanted villain, a hunted ma..err gnome, an outlaw, oh the shame, the shame of it all. Merely for printing the news, to enlighten all the residents of Blackstone with information given to me. I hope my good friend Andrun does not hear of this, the shock may kill him, however, I digress. I apologise the shock is just too too much. I will be brave, I shall continue to bring you the news, and, if I may borrow it from that dwarf so brave when facing what he thought would be his last... "Damn Their Eyes".

Kynan Bladvick. Untried but judged Criminal At Large (well, not very large). All imports have ceased for the forseeable future.

~Advertisement~
*All your adventuring needs catered for by the Merchants Guild. Good Honest Prices from Good Honest Traders*
*Please see the various representatives around the town and state your requirements*
*A Lifetime Guantee on all goods. -refunds only to original purchasers, not to surviving relatives-
Fyren
Knight
Knight

The Blackstone Times

Post by Fyren »

*a somewhat smudged, hand drafted copy*

Nature Notes.

Blasted pigeons. Too scrawny to eat and the quills are not qu*te lon% enough to use for any !ength of tim&.
I don# know how long I w/ll be h0led up, oh for a lit+le w0ne to help wUsh them diwn.

Town Events

I wish I knew. I s0metumes heaR the sounds of booted feet, then I burR0w erven deep&@. Oh these blasted quills.
Ev0n th@ mayor ignored a note I managed to slide Onder his dooR. Let me tell you, th@ life of an 9utlaw is nit all days out on the hIgh road and noghts in feathr bedz with young ladies. oh dear me no.

Kynan Bl0dvick, edit0r.
Fyren
Knight
Knight

The Blackstone Times

Post by Fyren »

Editorial.

I received word that it was once more safe to return. I am unable give any details of my location during my absence, apart from I have been an outlaw, a rough rider, a ne'erdo well, a hunted ma..er..gnome. A veritable desperado. I have returned a more educated person. (although frankly why anyone would wish to learn the multitude of methods in preparing various pigeon dishes is beyond my comprehension).

Nature Notes.

I encountered a marvellous creature, a pseudo dragon, remarkably intelligent. So much so, I hesitate to say more should the dear thing read this and be scared away. I also encountered a further Hellhound. I now know what such creatures eat, although I have advised against a diet of pigeon. There was another animal, a black panther. This fearsome beast approached me and made as if to tenderise me ready for consumption, it actually licked my face. The owner of this killer in the night offered some sage advice, that I should try and tame it by rubbing it behind the ears, this would, he vouchsafed, deter it from devouring me on the spot.

Recent Events.

I heard today, a most harrowing tale. I hardly dare relate it, in view of recent alleged threats against my personage.
Be prepared to shed tears most bitter. It is my sorry lot to inform you of a fall from grace. Marcus, who I gather recently stood at the forefront with his brave and beautiful daughter, to sway the onslaught of the Kazrite invasion and rescued from their talons our most beloved priestess. It was witnessed, by a multitude of people, the slaying of an innocent citizen. What could have been going through that poor mans head. (I refer to Marcus, not the citizen - who, as many witnessed saw what was going through his head, the blade of Marcus). I am led to believe, though in all fairness, I am happy to accept corrections from the parties involved, on the understanding that no threats are levied, that he has had a somewhat chequered career. Previously a member of a group called The Resistance, he coerced two innocent and gentle people into the slaying of the children at the dock. He then became a reformed person, so much so that he was welcomed into the ranks of the Hunters. It now becomes clear that he has fallen from grace.

A Small Reward

I would like to offer a small consideration from anyone who is able to come forward and tell me where Master Igor, the dwarf may be located. Reward payable only for accurate details leading to his location.(1)

(1) please, I realise times are hard. Do not attempt to dress your child up in an attempt to cheat me. If anyone should present themselves in a mummery, affecting to be Igor, I shall see (or smell) through the deceit immediately.

Kynan Bladvick, Editor, Returned Gentleman of Leisure, Importer of Exotic Impedimenta. (Please excuse any small delay, all contracts will be honoured in due course).

~Advertisement~

~Advertisement~
Take advantage of our friendly rates. Advertise your business here. Contact our friendly representative
(Usually found by the great tree. Please do NOT pin messages onto the tree, it really really annoys the druids,
as if I didnt have enough to deal with.)
Fyren
Knight
Knight

The Blackstone Times

Post by Fyren »

Nature Notes.

I wish to draw your attention to the matter of cruelty. I have been informed that a creature, matching the description
of a most terrible beast named as a Beholder (I personally have never seen such a thing, but it has been described to me as a large orb, with a single large eye, and several other eyes on stalks) within the town. The beast does apparently have a name of 'William'. It is reliably reported to me, the creature doe have a master, the identity of whom is not know, but mistreats this creature. If it is allowed in the town, then the guards will have judged it as little or no threat. No harm should be offered to it, and any, especially one who has duties of care, such as its Master, should think twice before inflicting any such ill upon it.

I have encountered a family of bears. They are of varying colours, all appear to be (at least semi) intelligent. I am informed that they live in a house outside of the keep. There are apparently nine of them, and they used to be dwarves, or so I am told. I did get rather confused and started to ask if they shared the house with a young girl, but realised my mistake as I did, as, according to popular tales, there were but seven of those.

Town Events.

It has been a busy time, however, should Master Edmund consider laying both charges of slander(1) and his hands upon my person again, I shall bring such charges forth, that he will welcome a diet of pigeons in the cell that he is cast into. Failing that, then I shall have no alternative but to employ the services of one who will prevent any harm to my person. I have witnesses to the assault on me today. I look upon this as an attempt to limit the free press. Be warned, Sir, you shall not do this with impunity.

(1) a common mistake for those of lesser education. Slander is verbal. I believe the 'gentleman' - and I use the term in the loosest possible meaning - intended to use the word libel.

I was most gladdened to see the dwarf, Igor, although his odour still leaves me breathless. It turns out he has been to visit his family. I trust this now clears the matter, and removes any doubt that the Hunters or any other party, caused ill intent upon him after his release. After seeing and speaking, I also have strong doubts as to whether forcing ale upon him was any torture at all. I could not get a great deal of sense from him, as he appeared to have drunk at least twice his own bodyweight, therefore, I must still stick to the other details contained in my earlier report.

As he has made himself known to me, I must withdraw the offer of reward. His whereabouts is now too easily located, one simply follows their nose.

Unfortunately, there may be interuptions to some publications of this paper in the near future. I shall endeavour to do my best, however salt water appears to have fouled my last batch of ink, making it nearly unusable. Come what may, there will still be a paper published, though I may have to curtail the length to preserve my current stocks until more can be procured.
I sincerely hope you understand my plight and am unable to write at length any particular item supplied to me.

~Advertisement~

~Advertisement~
Take advantage of our friendly rates. Advertise your business here. Contact our friendly representative
(Usually found by the great tree. Please do NOT pin messages onto the tree, it really really annoys the druids,
Fyren
Knight
Knight

The Blackstone Times

Post by Fyren »

Special Edition.

Respected resident missing. Foul play suspected.

My fellow residents of Blackstone, it is with growing apprehension that forces me to inform you of a terrible incident. A dear, sweet lady, Serinity, head of the order of SOM and her darling children are missing. The hunters have been informed and are duly investigating.

Unnamed sources have advised me the investigation is being led by that paragon of the order, Sir Auran. Unsubstantiated allegations of a most greivous and terrible crime have been made towards another prominent citizen, Hordack. His accuser, I have been reliably informed, is Donalian, who repeatedly states that murder has been committed. I have spoken to the Mayor myself, who unable to confirm any details, would not confirm it was a murder investigation.

While a public rift had occurred between these two parties, as can happen when differences of opinion collide from different sides, both having a deep and abiding love of Blackstone, but differing in how they view things should proceed, there is no evidence to support murder. There is no body, no remains, no sign of any struggle and a complete absence of the darling children.

Representatives, clerics if you will, have been seen passing through Skara Brae. None have confirmed to me that the Monastary has been searched, however one can only assume this would be done under the strictest of conditions during the course of an investigation.

I myself, visited Skara Brae - this, you must understand is something of a landmark, I never leave the confines of Blackstone normally, but emboldened by my recent outlawry I deemed it necessary to visit the scene. I saw nothing amiss, of which I am glad, merely the sight or scent of blood makes me quite ill. Granted I could not gain access to all areas to view, and fearing my presence would draw rapacious beasts and endanger my person, I took my leave swiftly afterwards.

What then, if no bodies and no evidence of foul play ? Has the dear sweet beautiful lady been spirited away by some unknown being or interested party ? What of the children. It is strongly understood that Hordack has a deep and personal interest in them, I can only assume in better times he was made a guardian - he remained tight lipped and silent on this issue, and I respect his stance, wishing not to endanger them further. Unnamed sources did confirm that Master Hordack has complied with various requests made and the Hunters have no reason to suspect he is concealing the children or is connected with their absence, indeed his attitude indicates his deep concern surrounding the current situation.

Why are allegations of murder being made by Donalian ? A source strongly believed to be connected with the Hunters dismissed this allegation, but would not confirm if it was being viewed as malicious to implicate an innocent man, to distract the investigation or the ramblings of a distraught close and personal confidant of Mistress Serinity. I must leave you to draw your own conclusions on this.

Forgive my usual brevity and amusing witicisms, which I try to inject into my normal reportage, I am too distraught and shocked by this incident and the allegations made to think clearly.

~Advertisement~
Fyren
Knight
Knight

The Blackstone Times

Post by Fyren »

Editorial.

I apologise to the readers, I have no wish to confuse you. I know there is a popular following of my Nature Notes, which usually appears first. For this edition, I must place it further down. The reason will become clear I am sure.

Town News.

A rather brash young gentleman, by the name of Khayman De'Letrus, has issued an extraordinary challenge.

He states he is ready to take on all comers. He particularly wished to be noted to (and paid in gold for the personalisation of such) :

Vorites, Hunters, Lianites, Merchants, Kazrites.

He appeared confused, first stating he was of sound mind, and then stating he wasnt. He has wished for flowers to be left at the point of any sudden demise. The young lady in the courtyard at Starkson will be most grateful of the increased trade. Please ensure all taking part in this hunt do abide by this wish, it is probably the gentlemans last and should be treated as such.

I am also informed that he has stated publicly he has sighted the poor lady, Mistress Serinity, at some location at Skara Brae, but not the Monastary. I am sure the Hunters investigating this will be most interested.

Nature Notes

While this may not appear to be suitable for such a gentle column, I do feel this is where it belongs.

The Druid, Kamryn, was imprisoned today. After his release he was unrepentent of any crime, simply stating he was incarcerated for giving an opinion. The brave rebel stood tall under the tree and gave forth this detail in person.

Allegations of Conspiracy

A young dwarf, who appeared to be worse the wear for strong drink made an astonishing allegation, that the Rebel, Kamryn, was involved in a plot to overthrow the rule of Blackstone, placing himself in the seat of power. The druid dismissed the dwarf from his presence, trying to assure me it was merely drunken tomfoolery. However I did later sight this dwarf, who ran from me each time I tried to hail him, almost in abject terror. I shall leave you, my dear dear friends, to judge the truth of this matter.

Postscript.

I would like to thank, a certain dear lady, of her most kind offer. My distress was noted recently regarding my spoiled ink. This wonderful and warmhearted person contacted me without delay, offering to place her resources at my services.
I thank her from the bottom of my heart. My dilemma has now been solved, a new shipment arrived early. In gratitude, I shall place a double order for that most wonderful and fragrant refreshment, unique to this land. Slanje!

~Advertisement~

~Advertisement~
Fyren
Knight
Knight

The Blackstone Times

Post by Fyren »

Second Edition

Amendment.

I reported earlier that there had been a possible sighting of Mistress Serinity. It would now appear from further investigation and discussion with various sources of quality that this is untrue. The Blackstone Times would like to
unreservedly apologise for any undue distress this may have caused to any interested party. I am sure any agency involved in the investigation may still like to speak to Khaynan DeLetrus and ascertain why he would wish to hamper said proceedings.

Fyren
Knight
Knight

The Blackstone Times

Post by Fyren »

Nature Notes.

Normally I would reserve this quiet column for observations of creatures, both tame and dangerous, seen in the keep.
Today I feel I must divert from the usual. I observed today a creature of beauty, however also most dangerous. I was taking some fresh air in the streets and main square of the town when I encountered a rather striking young lady. My subsequent enquiries reveal her name to be Nyx. I engaged this charming thing in conversation. When she discovered my distaste for both the scent and smell of blood, she actually drew a blade and cut herself, a deliberate act designed to cause myself considerable distress. A most dangerous beauty indeed, and one extremely callous.

Town Notes.

Rejoice! word has reached my ears through unnamed sources that three children have been found. It is said that Hordack the Merchant has made himself guardian. No Hunter nor Hordack himself has been able to confirm this to me as true yet. I did question the Mayor closely, though he remains as tight lipped as ever.

~Advertisement~

~Advertisement~
Fyren
Knight
Knight

The Blackstone Times

Post by Fyren »

Special Edition.

It is with great sadness that it becomes my terrible duty to inform you of a most shocking and outrageous deed.

I was contacted by a person, who I can name as Morg, the reason behind this will become clear.

Master Morg has informed me that Master Hordack has been most cruelly slain.

The location is that Oasis where a previous similar deed occurred. This Oasis of tears is surely illfated.

I questioned Master Morg about this, wanting to be sure beyond doubt. I fear the tale was only too true. Master Morg described Master Hordacks assailant as that fitting the description of Donathalian. After the earlier reports of allegations being made by such a person, one can only assume he has now decided to take the law unto his own hands.

I must also advise you that shortly after receiving this news, Master Morg was also found dead. His assailants are not known, though it is too much of a coincidence for the two acts to have occurred so close. I must admit, I now fear for my own life, however I shall continue down the path laid for me.

Let there be no cheering, no joyous celebrations. A most prominent figure has been taken from our lives and society. Let there be mourning, for who can say who may be next ? And, if you, would your spirit rest easy at such sights and sounds ?

May I, on behalf of this humble paper, offer my most deep and sincere condolences to Master Hordacks good lady, Lady Panacea Stormwatcher. May she bear this grief with strength and fortitude.

I have attended the office of the Mayor and attempted to question him, he was unable to tell me if any investigation has yet been launched.

Mourn! and wear the sackcloth! Woe, woe and thrice woe! A fellow soul taken from us. No more shall he colour our lives, like him or not, his presence graced us with spice to add flavour to our lives.

~Advertisement~

(Fees from this advertisement donated to assist the three children Master Hordack had assumed guardianship over)
Fyren
Knight
Knight

The Blackstone Times

Post by Fyren »

Editorial

My dear readers. I have some most alarming news to disclose. There exists, amongst us, some serious and shocking threats to our liberty, way of life and our very existance. I shall detail but two of these today.

I was, today, threatened, by Master Halaster Blackcloak, hedge wizard of little import. In front of many witnesses he called me a liar, a charlatan and an insect. He then went on to insult ALL Dwarves, Gnomes and Halflings, stating ALL are insects, that he intends to crush and control. In view of this I feel I must, through the auspices of this paper, call upon the Merchants Guild to eject him and revoke his licence. If this fails to occur, then I shall issue a rallying call to all those insulted to boycott the services of the merchants guild, thereby reducing their profits. Thus will we be heard.

It has been pointed out to me that my life may be endangered by this call, however I have been told this about previous articles I have penned, I still draw breath and walk the streets unharmed. I have no desire to harm the interests of such an august guild, I only fear the harm will come from within if such a person remains a member and with licence to speak for them.

I must also advise that this will be the last time an advertisement is carried for the merchants guild until this matter has been resolved.

The second endangerment threatens us all, no matter of what height.

It has come to my attention that a certain well known figure amongst us is gathering a small army. I have been also advised that he intends to fall upon the very keep itself with Umgah Mages and Umgah Warriors, along with this army, destroying order, and taking control for himself. This confidential information was obtained by careful questioning and trained reporting. The person named responsible for this terrible conspiracy is non other than the Druid Kamryn. I am informed the only edifice that may survived unharmed is his precious great tree. I approached the Warden for a response to this threat, he could not confirm if the Guard had been alerted, nor would he state what preparations had or were being made for the protection of the keep and its populace.

Nature Notes

Today I encountered a most charming creature. Of the height of an average elf, with the most delightful wings. The wings were a deep red in color and required me to check my notes. They appeared to be similar, but much larger you must understand to a butterfly or faerie dragon. Upon questioning, I was informed this enchanting lady was indeed part faerie. I do so look forward to the opportunity to talk once more.

Town News

A Tour.
I was recently asked if I would like to visit a certain lodge. I was most uncertain, following some adverse news I had been obliged to print, however Ms Pheadra Hawk guaranteed my safety, also promising that I need not consider myself a potential meal for their pet. With these reassurances I set forth. I cannot describe my journey, portals were arranged and I arrived outside the gates, whereupon I viewed a most wondrous creature. A large sphynx, living, not statue, guarded the door. Most magnificent, I was able to confirm from my notebook and also add a few details of the description that had previously been absent.

I was given free reign to wander the lodge, viewing statues to the original five founders and being instructed on a battle which occurred some time ago, at the great chasm. I also viewed statues to Vor and Lia, I was curious but decided against asking if there were representations of the other two major faiths. I was also offered refreshement, a cup of the rare and potent Hunters Ale. This I had to decline, I have no taste for Ale and it strongly disagrees with me.

I was also permitted to view a certain chair within the lodge. I am not sure, and have not had the opportunity to ask, what details may or may not be disclosed, as such I shall merely say the power of the magic it holds is both terrible and magnificent. I was not asked to take a seat and I was treated well throughout my tour. I would like to offer sincere thanks to Ms Hawk for the opportunity.

A Foul Murder or Two

I have been given details of a foul murder in the gloomwoods. A rare creature was seen by two adventurers who decided to follow. The creature, a pixie, then led them on a merry dance, one doomed to end in bloodshed.

The pixie led them to a secluded grove, whereupon they were attacked by a monk who had the ability to change shape into a spider. I have been given strong reassurances as to the identity of this person as one Nephalia of Blackstone. She then cruelly murdered the two adventurers and made off, using the powers of haste and speed granted to those who follow that rigourous way of life.

An unfortunate accident.

It would appear that a young foolish dwarf has suffered an accident while hunting in the Underdark.
Young Master MacGregor (his details have been supplied to me by another) apparently was earlier involved in a dispute, whereupon he insulted the dear sweet silverhaired gentle mother of a fellow dwarf. After this altercation it appears Master MacGregor suffered a demise at the hands of the Umgah. Then, failing to take responsibility for his actions, once the gods had seen fit to restore breath to his body, he made various wild and unfounded allegations against the other Dwarf. I have looked into this myself and determined the alleged person was, in fact, sitting in the Playful Maiden, drowning his sorrows at being insulted in such a manner. I truly hope this is the end of the matter.
(my thanks to Master Dugan Wayfare for the translations of the trickier parts of the Dwarven language).

~Advertisement~

~Advertisement~
(Usually found by the great tree. Feel free to carve you name into the tree itself. My concern about upsetting the druids has evaporated, as it appears they are already upset, a little scrivening upon the monstrosity is hardly likely to make things worse.)
Fyren
Knight
Knight

The Blackstone Times

Post by Fyren »

Corrections and Errata.

Editorial.

I awoke this morning with somewhat of a sore head, I had been gifted a bottle of that delightful wine from Starkson by a loyal reader. Upon reading my recent publication and rechecking my notes I find I have made an omission and there is a certain lack of clarity regarding a point or two in one of the items.

With regard to the demise of Master MacGregor, Master Wayfare it seems was in company with another person in the Playful Maiden, and did not learn of his fellow Dwarf's demise until much later. I also have noted, but failed to report, it is alleged he has also received a warning following the unfounded allegations made by Master MacGregor by a reputed senior Hunter. I would hope the warning is merely to restore peace between the two and does not have more serious and sinister overtones.

If any detriment has been caused by this omission, it was not intended and may this short Corrections and Errata supplement restore good faith.

Kynan Bladvick, Editor, etc.
Fyren
Knight
Knight

The Blackstone Times

Post by Fyren »

Editorial

My friends, I bring you two pieces of welcome news for a change. One of which you may already be aware of, so forgive my tardiness in the delay of bringing the information forth.

The Merchants guild has offered a most fullsome apology for the actions of one of its now ex-members. The hedge wizard with the sizeist views has now been ejected from the guild. The guild has informed me in no uncertain terms that they wish to engage in full trade with all, regretting any ill will this may have caused.

May I urge all Dwarves, Gnomes and Halflings, who felt they may have been insulted by the unlicensed comments of a deranged fingerwaggler, to now put those feelings aside. Let there be no boycott of the guild. To show good faith I am displaying the advertisement for that guild, free of charge, this edition.

This brings me to the second piece of news. Lord Hordack is alive and well. It appears that the rumours of his untimely demise are far from true. It would seem an attempt on his life was made, the witness who spoke to me and was then later slain must have witnessed the attempt, not, however, the final outcome. Rejoice. May I offer my deepest apologies to the good and wise Lady Panacea, for any unintended distress caused. I shall make a donation to any cause or faith as directed by that lady, in some small recompense for this most unfortunate of errors.

I have been informed by both Lord Hordack and The Merchants Guild, that they neither hold me responsible, nor bear any ill will towards my person for the reporting of either. The Merchants Guild has expressed their concern at my attitude towards them, however they have assured me that my personal safety is not at risk.

While talking of such matters may I also point out to those who like to seek out my company and issue abuse and threats, you will have little satisfaction, I neither bear arms nor engage in common street brawling. I do not visit the Arena, nor do I travel widely outside of the Keep. You may find any engagement with me one sided, as I shall expose your braggardly ways for all to see, leaving you still with your blades undrawn and still defeated. I must make it clear, this last comment applies to neither the Merchants Guild, nor Lord Hordack, who has been most understanding.

Town Events

Things appear to have quietened down a little. The threatened storm reported in previous editions seems to have calmed, although I would advise keeping a weather eye out as always. I have heard no further news about Master Kamryns plans or conspiracies, however a lack of news does not mean the planned event has evaporated, I shall keep my eyes and ears open for further developments on this matter.

I have had some unconfirmed reports of strange tomes appearing in remote places, such as the Underdark. I cannot personally confirm this, but overheard conversations from excited adventurers indicate the truth of this matter.

A great vibration of evil travels through the land twice a month now, previously it had only been felt once each month. I have been informed this is the Tomb door of King Aildrek making its presence known. I fear for the future if the frequency continues to increase, I know not if undead pour forth from such a place when the moon is in the correct alignment to allow an opening.

Akon, that master of magical devices, or so I am repeatedly informed, has managed to devise an instrument that appears to alter the magical properties of various things. I am not sure what exactly or how it works. I am sure it is far beyond my meagre means, and I would have little use for it in any case. I have been gifted a few minor items for study and pleasure, I would have no desire to alter their functions, however some adventurers may find this useful.

~Advertisement~

~Advertisement~
(Usually found by the great tree. Feel free to carve you name into the tree itself. My concern about upsetting the druids has evaporated, as it appears they are already upset, a little scrivening upon the monstrosity is hardly likely to make things worse.)