Attacked in Greater Sanctuary

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Morgan
Knight
Knight

Attacked in Greater Sanctuary

Post by Morgan »

I went to Marvale to take on Loknar when something a bit unexpected happened. Made it to the final tier of the steps without having to engage anyone when I was suddenly attacked by a Cult Priest despite having Greater Sanctuary active. I hadn't performed any hostile actions and still had plenty of time left on the spell, so I'm at a bit of a loss. Trying to get some feedback on whether this may have happened to others, and what may have caused it.

Active Spell List:

Protection vs. Evil, Greater Stoneskin, Premonition, True Seeing (extended), Improved Invisibility, Spell Protection, Energy Buffer, Greater Sanctuary as well as an Ioun Stone for Dex.

BTW, wasn't 100% this was a bug, so figured I'd post it here 8)
Caesius
Duke
Duke

Re: Attacked in Greater Sanctuary

Post by Caesius »

NWNWiki wrote:It has been documented that as of version 1.68, a bug exists where combining Improved Invisibility with Greater Sanctuary allows creatures to ignore the effects of Greater Sanctuary. [citation needed] It is undocumented whether this is due to the Improved Invisibility spell itself, the invisibility effect, or the concealment effect. Also, relogging on a multiplayer server will sometimes "fix" the bug (but will obviously cause you to break any party you were part of).
The only constant is change.
DM_Mystic
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM_Mystic »

Greater Sanctuary is governed by will. As you approach each creature, it makes a will save roll, and if it exceeds whatever the DC of greater sanct is, then it can attack you. In fact, there are some areas of the mod where the creatures have such a high will, that you'd be wasting your breath even casting GS. I found this out the hard way. I wouldn't consider this a bug, it's just the way it is.
Milk_Chocolate
Duke
Duke

Post by Milk_Chocolate »

DM_Mystic wrote:Greater Sanctuary is governed by will. As you approach each creature, it makes a will save roll, and if it exceeds whatever the DC of greater sanct is, then it can attack you. In fact, there are some areas of the mod where the creatures have such a high will, that you'd be wasting your breath even casting GS. I found this out the hard way. I wouldn't consider this a bug, it's just the way it is.
Are you sure that isn't Sanctuary, the level 1 cleric spell?
DM_Mystic
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM_Mystic »

Yeah, I had a level 40 cleric, trying to rescue someone in Bloodcult, and had on my GS on, and it was as if I was wearing a neon sign on my head. I noticed something to the affect of "BloodCult dude will save against Greater Sanctuary - success" and proceeded to get my grapes squished into a new vintage of wine. It takes a really high will to trump GS, but it is, in fact, possible.
Roland Deschain
Duke
Duke

Post by Roland Deschain »

http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Greater_sanctuary

http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Sanctuary

Greater has no save.

Normal Sanctuary has a will save.
Roland Deschain
Alain Johnson
Cuthbert Allgood
Marten Broadcloak
Cort
Rarebru Balancebringer
Walter O' Dim
Sleepy
Feanara Telrunya
Caesius
Duke
Duke

Post by Caesius »

Greater Sanctuary was never intended to have a saving throw. But sometimes instead of generating Effect_Type_Ethereal, the script fires off Effect_Type_Sanctuary thus allowing monsters a saving throw which they should not have gotten in the first place.

Reference: NWN Lexicon: EffectEthereal
The only constant is change.
Morgan
Knight
Knight

Post by Morgan »

Thanks for all the excellent information. Most helpfull, and certainly gives pause where GS is concerned :)
DM_eaze
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM_eaze »

You casted invisibility after you casted your Greater Sanctuary, that will overrule your GS.
It's a known bug.
DM eaze
Douglas Thurman
Count
Count

Post by Douglas Thurman »

There is also a strange effect between an arcane GS and a divine GS. We did this on another server. A mage and a cleric cast GS on themselves and a DM threw an ancient red dragon at em. The dragon immediately went for the cleric as if his GS wasn't active. We tested again with just the mage. Nope. The dragon did not even acknowledge him being there. We tried again with just a cleric and no matter when the cleric cast GS, the dragon could see him. I don't know if this helps, but neither cleric nor mage had Imp. Invis. up and running.
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

Douglas Thurman wrote:There is also a strange effect between an arcane GS and a divine GS. We did this on another server. A mage and a cleric cast GS on themselves and a DM threw an ancient red dragon at em. The dragon immediately went for the cleric as if his GS wasn't active. We tested again with just the mage. Nope. The dragon did not even acknowledge him being there. We tried again with just a cleric and no matter when the cleric cast GS, the dragon could see him. I don't know if this helps, but neither cleric nor mage had Imp. Invis. up and running.
Can we get a test of that here and see if this rings true on BSK?

Myle
Artist? Writer? Musician?
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
http://www.myspace.com/st_dm_myle
Hordack
Duke
Duke

Post by Hordack »

Hordack and Panacea both use GS on regular basis and never had issue's with it. I also use Imp Invis. and never had problem getting spotted.

Panacea is a mage and uses the mage versison and Hordack uses the divine GS from a scroll.
Hordack The Dark
"Thief of Blackstone Keep"
Your only a "Legend" if the people believe the "myth's" that are told about you.
"Dark Stalker" aka "Hordack The Dark Thief of Blackstone Keep"
Axe Madness
Duke
Duke

Post by Axe Madness »

i have both a mage and cleric with GS also never had a problem with it 8)
Mauric, Cervantes, Von Celer, Vicho Swift, Zod, Vex
DM_Mystic
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM_Mystic »

Ran a variety of tests on this today and concluded that the only time GS gets busted is when cast along with an invis. It doesn't matter what order the spells were cast. TS spot over invis trumps the GS, and breakfast is served. When GS was cast with no invis spell, the creatures seemed to act like they sensed something, but didn't attack.
Doofy Britches
Duke
Duke

Post by Doofy Britches »

I've found (learned) with my lvl 40 cleric this-

Cast GS then cast a regulart invis- it ipes out the GS effect and you get attacked- but I have seen if you cast Invis first.. THEN GS.. then you seem to be cool

I have a lvl 23 cleric with Improved invis

Cast either GS or Improved Invis in any order.. and doesn't seem to be a bug.. I'm home free.

I wonder if you're a cleric (or other class) that has GS- and you cast it.. and you use a Ring of Invisibility.. if the ring will wipe out GS

Anyone know/hear if this will be fixed in 1.69?
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and to not sow discord. - Gary Gygax