Pick Pocketing and Forgies

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

sgtshin
Baron
Baron

Pick Pocketing and Forgies

Post by sgtshin »

To DM's, Driller, and player concerned.

You know? I logged on to play for a bit (its been a long time).. and I decided to log my rouge on and have some "fun". Afterall.. its 3am and I'm bored.

Found an easy mark in the Hamlet that was AFK. An EASY pick pocket attempt for a rouge of 11th lvl. Aquired gold, 1 Blue Forgie, and one nice staff. I considered that a VERY good night indeed. I don't normallly play a PP rouge.. I mainly play a rouge to use the skills to sneak and kill... but whatever, I do have ONE char that's a PP master (for 11th lvl). This was fun.. and with a player silly enough to AFK in the Hamlet.... I should have let it go and let him/her learn that lesson. But as a 2 year vet on the server..., I know the rules and how I would want to be treated. I have no idea this player is- but I assumed they were new, or newer, on BSK. And you know what? Maybe they would remember the act of kindness.. and return the favor to another player one day... or even me.

And then the rules... I wanted to verify the PP rules.. to make sure I was "in-bounds"... that no matter how much that player may have deserved it.... that I *must* return that which I shouldn't have recieved.

So I went on the forums and searched the rules, cause I remember several discussions concerning PP of forgies- and I was feeling major GUILTY.... and I couldn't find anything. I even read each and every thread on the general forum.. looking for posts.. could only find an argument between Hordack and several other players! ( I love you Hordy)

1) Myle/Driller- can we *please* post a sticky to the "rules" that covers PP, and the rules concerning returning forgies and items over 1 space big
2) Can you please tell me if I'm silly cause its already posted and at 3am in the morning, I just can't find the darn thing?
3) *PLEASE* look at the scripts and make sure they work correctly.. I shouldn't be able to PP a forgie OR a STAFF... and neither should any rouge

On another note- to the player concerned- (who by the way.. did not even know he had been PP'd, and hadn't realized he had lost a forgie)- for gosh sake.. a simple thank you to me for returning your items would make me feel a lot better about having done so... 'cause I could have put that forgie to *very* good use.... *Pa-lease*.. don't go AFK ever again in the Hamlet.. especially if you are packing valuable items.

Note: I kept the gold. ^.^
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. ^.^
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Re: Pick Pocketing and Forgies

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

Artist? Writer? Musician?
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
http://www.myspace.com/st_dm_myle
sgtshin
Baron
Baron

Post by sgtshin »

Yup...OK... right there it is..and in red no less. thanks Myle. it was very early in the morning!

Well.. obviously the script missfired, and second, it seems by this message that this is a known commodity. Is there any way this can be looked at again and fixed if necessary, or is this one of the "yup we know, we see, we did the best we could and it is what it is type variety script thing"? Me thinks someone(s) would take advantage of the exploit if they could.

ST_DM_Myle wrote:Update:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=226&p=3719#p3719

TY

Myle
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. ^.^
Hordack
Duke
Duke

Post by Hordack »

Personaly my policy on returning item's is based on this ... All done Occly

Player is given a chance to have said "stolen item's" returned to them on the condition of paying what I call a "Finder's Fee" ...

If said player refuses or use's curse word's and tells me where to go ... Then said player forfits any claim of having said item's returned ... Being polite has it's benefit's and being and ass will just get you nothing back.

"Finder's Fee" >>> 5000 gold per item (I am sure those that I PP can afford this) and yes I do haggle and this price is not set in stone.

Pick Pocketing in Lowbie area's even by a low level thief should be frowned on and personaly I don't care for it. Want a challenge go pick pocket in the Ants where the high levels farm for loot or the Underdark 30+ levels train. Leave the newbies alone and give them a chance to get some levels under their belt first.

Forgies are returned without question If I am able to return the forgie to the player in time.
Hordack The Dark
"Thief of Blackstone Keep"
Your only a "Legend" if the people believe the "myth's" that are told about you.
"Dark Stalker" aka "Hordack The Dark Thief of Blackstone Keep"
sgtshin
Baron
Baron

Post by sgtshin »

Yeah me too Hordack.

Good clean PP'ing is OK.. and if the rules say I shouldn't have anything over 1 space in size or forgies- then so be it. I don't charge a finders fee though. What I did was open an entirely different account- login/user name- so that I can return the said items discreetly, and with no chance of retribution or knowledge of where, how or whom it was who stole said items. Keeps the chance for hurt feelings and useless type PvP down to a minimum.

It would be nice however- to get a "thank you" from folks when this occurs. Wouldn't prevent me from giving items back- but may buy my kindness in not selecting them as a target in the future.
DM_Mystic
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM_Mystic »

Hey, that was MY char! Now I'm gonna grief smite you!!!

Nah, just kidding, I have no idea who it was.

PP'ing forgies isn't in the rule book because it's not supposed to occur due tot he script. It would be similar to making a rules that states "If you die, lie face down or on your back until you are either rezzed or respawn"
Back in the day, forgies were fair game, but Driller received enough whining on this to make the Dali Lama want to throw kittens in a wood chipper.
The argument on large items, IMO, is sound. I don't care how good a PP you are, you shouldn't be able to remove something like said staff, or heavy armor for that matter, without drawing just a little attention.

So yeah, it's nice that you guys give these items back, and I like the Finder's Fee thing - to the rest of you though, be careful where you AFK, and if you get a forgie, get it to your storage chest ASAP. I know it's buggy too sometimes, but it's still safer than losing to a PP if the script isn't working.
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

LOL... back 'in the day' if you were not paying attention (and sometimes when you were) you could have your boots, armor, helm, weapon and shield picked off you while talking to Vogon.... this was back with the Keep was PvP and Vogon stood close enough to the tree that the multiconvo spam made RP a real challenge to keep up with.

Myle
Artist? Writer? Musician?
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
http://www.myspace.com/st_dm_myle
Cybermagi
Count
Count

Post by Cybermagi »

ST_DM_Myle wrote:LOL... back 'in the day' if you were not paying attention (and sometimes when you were) you could have your boots, armor, helm, weapon and shield picked off you while talking to Vogon.... this was back with the Keep was PvP and Vogon stood close enough to the tree that the multiconvo spam made RP a real challenge to keep up with.

Myle
Ahhhh Takes me back.. :)
Peace

Lady Panacea Stormwatcher
Elsbeth Stormwatcher
Milk_Chocolate
Duke
Duke

Post by Milk_Chocolate »

If I remember correctly, 'back in the day' Dragon Slippers could be bought at a store like a potion of cure light wounds.