Extra extra! 1.69 patch nerfs paladins!

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Milk_Chocolate
Duke
Duke

Extra extra! 1.69 patch nerfs paladins!

Post by Milk_Chocolate »

Wow I have never been so happy for a patch to come out.

It turns out that the long-awaited 1.69 patch will NERF HOLY AVENGER. What does this mean?

Holy Avenger is, at the moment, THE MOST POWERFUL FORM OF DISPEL AVAILABLE IN THE GAME. No, Mordenkainens Disjunction is not and here is why:

Level 40 character + 1 of those levels a paladin level + holy avenger weapon = An on hit (50% chance) dispel with FORTY CASTER LEVELS. The only thing that strong is A LEVEL 40 WIZARD/ SORC casting mord's. When was the last time you saw a pure caster?

I dont like to whine about the game or its core elements, but I have to say that Holy Avenger is strong, too strong, and I am glad to hear about the nerf. Here is how holy avenger will be after the 1.69 patch:

-On hit dispel chance lowered from 50% to 25%
-Dispel check has a cap of 10 character levels, not all (this effectively lowers the Dispel from a 40-caster level Mord's spell, to a 10-caster level Dispel Magic spell)

*does a backflip* Hooray! Post your opinions here.
Roland Deschain
Duke
Duke

Re: Extra extra! 1.69 patch nerfs paladins!

Post by Roland Deschain »

Milk_Chocolate wrote:Wow I have never been so happy for a patch to come out.

It turns out that the long-awaited 1.69 patch will NERF HOLY AVENGER. What does this mean?

Holy Avenger is, at the moment, THE MOST POWERFUL FORM OF DISPEL AVAILABLE IN THE GAME. No, Mordenkainens Disjunction is not and here is why:

Level 40 character + 1 of those levels a paladin level + holy avenger weapon = An on hit (50% chance) dispel with FORTY CASTER LEVELS. The only thing that strong is A LEVEL 40 WIZARD/ SORC casting mord's. When was the last time you saw a pure caster?

I dont like to whine about the game or its core elements, but I have to say that Holy Avenger is strong, too strong, and I am glad to hear about the nerf. Here is how holy avenger will be after the 1.69 patch:

-Dispel check has a cap of 10 character levels, not all (this effectively lowers the Dispel from a 40-caster level Mord's spell, to a 10-caster level Dispel Magic spell)

Don't get too excited, if Driller likes HA the way it is then expect it to be changed back to how it is now.
Roland Deschain
Alain Johnson
Cuthbert Allgood
Marten Broadcloak
Cort
Rarebru Balancebringer
Walter O' Dim
Sleepy
Feanara Telrunya
Milk_Chocolate
Duke
Duke

Post by Milk_Chocolate »

Roland Deschain wrote:
Milk_Chocolate wrote:Wow I have never been so happy for a patch to come out.

Don't get too excited, if Driller likes HA the way it is then expect it to be changed back to how it is now.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! [-o<
Milk_Chocolate
Duke
Duke

Post by Milk_Chocolate »

driller, do you anticipate keeping HA the way it is?
Thanatos
Duke
Duke

Post by Thanatos »

HA is fine the way it is in my opinion.
Fact: Ninjas are mammals
Fact: Ninjas fight ALL the time
Milk_Chocolate
Duke
Duke

Post by Milk_Chocolate »

Thanatos wrote:HA is fine the way it is in my opinion.
No, it's not. A level 40 dispel check, combined with the high attack bonus progression equals a melee that can defeat not only mages with ease, but any other class that depends on buffs...

In addition Holy Avenger should take into account Paladin levels, not character levels, for the dispel check.
On top of that, Holy Avenger was never meant to have a 50% chance to dispel on hit, it was supposed to be 25%.
Thanatos
Duke
Duke

Post by Thanatos »

Milk_Chocolate wrote:[No, it's not. A level 40 dispel check, combined with the high attack bonus progression equals a melee that can defeat not only mages with ease, but any other class that depends on buffs...
Go tell Shiby that...I'm sure he'd gladly break out "Dread" to test that claim.

Aside from that, despite my love of the mages, it helps keeps things evened out a bit.
Fact: Ninjas are mammals
Fact: Ninjas fight ALL the time
Axe Madness
Duke
Duke

Post by Axe Madness »

(OH I'm typing like my typing class told me to just till midnight)

A mage is not going to be worried that he/she cannot hold up the 3 shields because of holy avenger. The shield spells are more of a I don't feel like attacking you today so I'll watch you do it. The mage has enough guns to make up for loss of buffs.

Less then 3 hours people. =D>
Mauric, Cervantes, Von Celer, Vicho Swift, Zod, Vex
tropiofCancer
Count
Count

Post by tropiofCancer »

Hmmm... I never thought HA was all that powerful really . The few times I have beaten them w/ a paladin melee was when I got the drop on them w/ taunt (30% spell failure) But more often than not I had to respawn Gabrials charred ass after all those stacked shields got through with him . HA dispel is nothing really considering most folks are gonna use a Mord scroll on you , and It doesnt matter what level caster it is all your %$# is gone lol .
"Jesus Saves.....and takes half damage."
Milk_Chocolate
Duke
Duke

Post by Milk_Chocolate »

Milk_Chocolate wrote:
A level 40 dispel check, combined with the high attack bonus progression equals a melee that can defeat not only mages with ease, but any other class that depends on buffs...
Ok mages dont always depend on buffs. But I clealy stated "any other class that depends on buffs". You've all sat there and waited for a cleric to take a half hour to buff before you duel them. A pally can run up to them and dispel all of that in one hit. :?

Lets step back from the whole mage issue and analyze HA itself: it truly is imbalanced, no matter what you say, because it takes into account CHARACTER LEVELS, not PALADIN levels. So a character with just 1 measly level in paladin with 6 CHA or whatever still has all the benefits of the 40 caster level dispel check. Thats my powergamer point of view.

Now the RP point of view. Should the Holy Avenger, a weapon that is well... the holiest of weapons, be wielded to its full power by a charcter with only 1 level in paladin? A character that doesnt even have smite evil? Doesnt really make sense to me. [-X

That cheapens the value of the paladin class, and turns the holy avenger into a cheap pvp item property... it basically makes one level of pally a "must have" for any decent melee build... and if you havent been using a pally level, its probably because you didnt know holy avenger's full uncapped effects.

*does another backflip* Bioware is nerfing it, thank goodness, and even if driller decides to keep HA the way it is, the other servers probably wont so I'll be backflipping all day long
:mrgreen:
Axe Madness
Duke
Duke

Post by Axe Madness »

Nah most of us oldie BSK PvP'ers like to think out side the box we're not all gana go :o :o :o :o get holy avenger because that guy just won one. If you hate it so make a character that doesn't buff at all. [-X
Mauric, Cervantes, Von Celer, Vicho Swift, Zod, Vex
Doofy Britches
Duke
Duke

Post by Doofy Britches »

You know what? I think you have a good point on that one... that the HA check should consider just the Paladin levels.. so if you did have a pure Pally.. whoa.. cool feature.. but if you had just 1 lvl of Pally for a build some reason.. you wouldn't get that particular feature in all its glory. Just seems to be a good game balance thing to me.
Milk_Chocolate wrote:
No, it's not. A level 40 dispel check, combined with the high attack bonus progression equals a melee that can defeat not only mages with ease, but any other class that depends on buffs...

In addition Holy Avenger should take into account Paladin levels, not character levels, for the dispel check.
On top of that, Holy Avenger was never meant to have a 50% chance to dispel on hit, it was supposed to be 25%.
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and to not sow discord. - Gary Gygax
Roland Deschain
Duke
Duke

Post by Roland Deschain »

Milk_Chocolate wrote: it basically makes one level of pally a "must have" for any decent melee build... and if you havent been using a pally level, its probably because you didnt know holy avenger's full uncapped effects.

*does another backflip* Bioware is nerfing it, thank goodness, and even if driller decides to keep HA the way it is, the other servers probably wont so I'll be backflipping all day long
:mrgreen:
*dies laughing* no there are plenty of good melee builds that do not involve pally.

And for that matter I have not saw a "one level of pally build" other than a CASTER...... so someone who has 39 sorc levels and one pally try to use their HA sword on me.......... :D They wont last too long.

We are talking about blackstone, not the action server you used to play on.
Roland Deschain
Alain Johnson
Cuthbert Allgood
Marten Broadcloak
Cort
Rarebru Balancebringer
Walter O' Dim
Sleepy
Feanara Telrunya
Milk_Chocolate
Duke
Duke

Post by Milk_Chocolate »

At the very least HA should be nerfed to use pally levels for the dispel check, not character levels. Some of which may be blackguard or assasin. How can anyone in their right mind not agree with that.
Jazelle
Duke
Duke

Post by Jazelle »

Well even my mage that does have it has 6 levels don't see the reason to do just 1 level and get much out of it. My other build has 15 levels of pal and I forget how many Cleric along with WM. I will agree the % needs to be lower.
The world is a strange place.