Proposed XP Change

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Alter Fritz
Baron
Baron

Post by Alter Fritz »

I think this is a fantastic idea, it encourages party play. There will always be those who will complain, can't keep everyone happy. As for one member out-distancing the others....I think those in party will just have to figure it out. Seems like a minor problem, compared to adding the excitement of party play.
Frankenstein doesn't scare me...
DM_Mystic
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM_Mystic »

Wow, that's pretty eerie that you collect pictures of me - especially ones of me in prison outfits :shock:
ValentianNizzle
Duke
Duke

Post by ValentianNizzle »

DM_Mystic wrote:Wow, that's pretty eerie that you collect pictures of me - especially ones of me in prison outfits :shock:
Or it could be that you shouldn't post pictures of yourself in the 05' Halloween Custome thread on http://www.swords.cc - it might be that. :wink:
sgtshin
Baron
Baron

Re: Proposed XP Change

Post by sgtshin »

driller wrote:From time to time there are threads about XP and being in a party.

Here is what I propose.

1.The killer of the mob gets the full XP as if he were solo.
2.Party members within a certain radius of the mob get XP equal to half of what the killer received.
3.For the party member to get XP, he and the killer must be within 7 levels of one another or both over level 20 per server rules.

Comments?

-driller
Driller,

I'd like to try it out and see how it works for sure. I guess the only negative I could see from it.. is a perception that some might take on "kill stealing" where its the "party" vs. a single mob at a time- and one person is continually getting the killing blow. I don't have a problem with it though.. any party members would STILL recieve 50% of the full value.. and in some cases, this is more than what currently shakes out in larger parties. #3 is a thing of beauty, and takes away DM's having to spend time on policing that chore- what could be better?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. ^.^
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

driller wrote: 3.For the party member to get XP, he and the killer must be within 7 levels of one another or both over level 20 per server rules.

Comments?

-driller
This could mean a party in the troll caves of a handfull of XP-milking 5th levels and one 12th level muscle character buffed by his level 19 friend... and all would be earning XP.

I would suggest a calculation of the party levels and only give XP to those within 3 levels of the party average. The exception to this remains that level 21 and over need not worry with level margins.

Myle
Artist? Writer? Musician?
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
http://www.myspace.com/st_dm_myle
Zacarias
Duke
Duke
Location: Chesapeake, VA - West of Virginia Beach and South of Norfolk Naval Base.

Post by Zacarias »

ST_DM_Myle wrote:
driller wrote: 3.For the party member to get XP, he and the killer must be within 7 levels of one another or both over level 20 per server rules.

Comments?

-driller
This could mean a party in the troll caves of a handfull of XP-milking 5th levels and one 12th level muscle character buffed by his level 19 friend... and all would be earning XP.

I would suggest a calculation of the party levels and only give XP to those within 3 levels of the party average. The exception to this remains that level 21 and over need not worry with level margins.

Myle
How do you think up these things?
We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sound of the thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts,
and tore the world asunder.
Queen Naga II
Duke
Duke

Post by Queen Naga II »

ST_DM_Myle wrote: This could mean a party in the troll caves of a handfull of XP-milking 5th levels and one 12th level muscle character buffed by his level 19 friend... and all would be earning XP.

Myle
So hows this different from now ... currently the same thing happens to single PC low levels... only they get buffed up by level 40's.

Am afraid its the same old problem those that want to race through the levels to get to 40 as quick as possible will always find a way. Where as, those like myself who take a more leisured approach to leveling and not going off the temple at level 10 or so to get buffed out of sight so they can go fight stuff that gives them maximum xp for a kill.

The difference is to me, if Drillers idea goes ahead it will encourage party play party hunting, not the I want to be on my own brigade who constantly turn ugly at the appearence of a fellow party member in the same location and start complianing, "YOUR RUINING MY XP.. GO TO ANOTHER AREA!".

As for having the same old rule about once being epic level it doesn't matter what other epic levels you party with to go hunting with, this again is no change from what the current situation is. Personally I would like to see it all the way up to max level being party earning xp no more than 7 level difference between highest and lowest level party member.

Else what is the point ? A level 21 (ie. epic ) still gets buffed out of sight by the level 40 and has all the protection they need to go down to Ugmah and stand around soaking xp. Kind of defeats the idea Driller has offered to us here doesn't it ?

Finally I would say to Driller go ahead with your idea .. lets see how it pans out. Give it run for its money say a month and then look at the difference has made in that period. If its not liked or if Driller himself decides it hasn't worked as he intended it can be changed right back to where we are now.

I think the gains will surely out weight the negatives on this one.
Pretty Fly White Guy
Duke
Duke

Post by Pretty Fly White Guy »

when you're epic levels, with the right items, at level 21, you could survive 95% of Blackstone.

jesus, for 90% of it, all you need is a ring of invis from marvale...
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

I could make the 7 level limit apply to buffing spells also.

-driller
Queen Naga II
Duke
Duke

Post by Queen Naga II »

driller wrote:I could make the 7 level limit apply to buffing spells also.

-driller
Now that would be an awesome addition.
ValentianNizzle
Duke
Duke

driller wrote:I could make the 7 level limit apply to buffing spells also.

-driller
You cruel, cruel, cruel man. - That simply sizzucks. :?
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Maybe if you aren't within the 7 level range, then the buffing spell has a random chance of disintegrating you.

This would be an automatic XP loss and only a cleric casting ressurection could bring you back, scrolls wouldn't work of course.

-driller
ValentianNizzle
Duke
Duke

driller wrote:Maybe if you aren't within the 7 level range, then the buffing spell has a random chance of disintegrating you.

This would be an automatic XP loss and only a cleric casting ressurection could bring you back, scrolls wouldn't work of course.

-driller
Worst case scenario:

Your level 10 - your friend whom is a level 40 Cleric see's that your injured and thinks to himself 'Why don't I give him a little regen, now that I already have it in my spellbook' - in a valiant attempt to help a friend, instead he disintegrates.

I think this whole 'No higher level Cleric can buff you' mentality is tiring and puts a strain on and very possibly limits someone's attempt at roleplay, for example, picture this:

Level 1 random fighter, crappy stats and chose some crappy feats goes around this place called Blackstone Keep all IC and seeks a Cleric to help/aid him in getting stronger for the upcoming battle against the wicked wolves.

There are no lowlevel Clerics around. When he asked a person whom stood and spoke of Vor and how he had served him and aided many people through his divine aid, he could not provide a answer for him when the level 1 random fighter asked "Good sir, could you provide a blessing for me?"

So, I'm against it. - I've made a level 40 Cleric, strictly for roleplay and to help out my friends in roleplaying. I see it as limiting the free-range RP that Blackstone usually promotes. But then again, must just be me.

My 2 cents, as per usual.

- And I just got told that it might be a joke...

Well... dizzamn! Ya got me. :?
Pretty Fly White Guy
Duke
Duke

Post by Pretty Fly White Guy »

i would cry if nizzle couldnt buff me anymore.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Worst case scenerio now:

Level 40 cleric buffs up low level so much that he can actually kill trolls for 600 XP a pop.

Really, this buffing stuff is out of hand right now.

-driller