Craziest Names You've Seen on BSK

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Jazelle
Duke
Duke

Re: Craziest Names You've Seen on BSK

Post by Jazelle »

The bear ones were all rather bad.
The world is a strange place.
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

I am going to go through these names each and make a judgement call. This might help people get a feel for what is acceptable:

Just fine:
For a variety of reasons the following are fine - even if not ideal
door
"blank names" - have nothing at all
"just dots" - only have dots
Jim Jones (As long as inappropriate RP is not included)
Xerxes
gund goes swift \
gund goes buff --> Contrary to some thought - there is nothing clearly offensive about these names aside from the juvenile nature of them.
gund goes mage/

Spoof - acceptable:
Xerxes
Dora the Explorer
Bob the Builder
Sleepy
grouchy
snow white
grumpy
mad lady

Spoof - questionable:
chucknorris
MacGyver
Magnum P.I.
Jeffey the Crispy and Cream Dwarf

Silliness - boarderline:
Possible DM intervention
Brfb (This is actually being discussed - I would advise this player to abandon the character)
Magnum P.I.
MacGyver
Highlord and Potentate Grizzle Ghast, centurion Kight of the Earl Grey Tea
Earl Grey, Lord of Blackstone Night Soil, King Lychee eater, Epic Harper Scout

Silliness - should not be used:
Probibly to be put in jail permanently until ready to transfer gear and abandon the character
laser gun go pew pew
Ben Dover
Britney Spears

Might as well expect a DM to put you in jail or worse:
Likely to be banned if an arguement ensues.
B*stard son of B*tch
fattymcass
SPAMMER

I will ban on site without discussion:
Clairitus buttgnaw
Mike O'rnole

You will note that several names are in more than on group - because the behavior of the player would have an impact on the way the names use was veiwed.

Myle
Artist? Writer? Musician?
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
http://www.myspace.com/st_dm_myle
Wing--Zero
Duke
Duke

Post by Wing--Zero »

ST_DM_Myle wrote:I am going to go through these names each and make a judgement call. This might help people get a feel for what is acceptable:

Just fine:
For a variety of reasons the following are fine - even if not ideal
door
"blank names" - have nothing at all
Jim Jones (As long as inappropriate RP is not included)
Xerxes
gund goes swift \
gund goes buff --> Contrary to some thought - there is nothing clearly offensive about these names aside from the juvenile nature of them.
gund goes mage/

Spoof - acceptable:
Xerxes
Dora the Explorer
Bob the Builder
Sleepy
grouchy
snow white
grumpy
mad lady

Spoof - questionable:
chucknorris
MacGyver
Magnum P.I.
Jeffey the Crispy and Cream Dwarf

Silliness - boarderline:
Possible DM intervention
Brfb (This is actually being discussed - I would advise this player to abandon the character)
Magnum P.I.
MacGyver
Highlord and Potentate Grizzle Ghast, centurion Kight of the Earl Grey Tea
Earl Grey, Lord of Blackstone Night Soil, King Lychee eater, Epic Harper Scout

Silliness - should not be used:
Probibly to be put in jail permanently until ready to transfer gear and abandon the character
laser gun go pew pew
Ben Dover
Britney Spears

Might as well expect a DM to put you in jail or worse:
Likely to be banned if an arguement ensues.
B*stard son of B*tch
fattymcass
SPAMMER

Clairitus buttgnaw
Mike O'rnole

You will note that several names are in more than on group - because the behavior of the player would have an impact on the way the names use was veiwed.

Myle

Question.....whats the differnce in the names...Chuck Norris, Macgyver and Brittany Spears.....why is Chuck Norris ok but, Brittany Spears is a get put in jail for ever name????
Duo Maxwell
Auran Goodman
Damian Goodman
Daniel Goodman
Karn
Aye Spyu
Heia The Deamon
and some others :P
Log-ins: Zero, X, X_Mule, Z_mule
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

Because of the name and the type of attention it brings.

I have seen both names used:
Chuck Norris's name was applied to a character that was an obvious spoof and sometimes stood around recounting those quotes about Chuck Norris such as: http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/

Britney's name was used by someone who was an obvious spoof and sometimes stood around recounting how much of a whore she is and other similar family oriented topics.

Clearly, the name chucknorris could be used wrongly and if so, would have to be dealt with. While is it possible that the name Britney Spears could be used in an acceptable fashion, the history attached to it indicates we're better off just not letting people use it.

Myle
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
dm_zane
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by dm_zane »

ST_DM_Myle wrote:
Clairitus buttgnaw
Mike O'rnole

Myle
I actually think the Mike name is funny. It's an obvious play at words, but come on..........ban on site without discussion? Meanwhile we have Chuck Norris and Britney Spears receiving DM discussions. I bet 1/2 the people didn't get the name to begin with. His name is Mike for crying out loud. I suppose something like Hugh Jazz would be ban on site as well?
Gibbo
Duke
Duke

Post by Gibbo »

Yu.

"Who are you?"
"Yu."
"Me?"
"No, Yu."
"What do you mean 'you'?"
"Yu!"
"Me?!"

... at which time I think the server rules indicate that you can PK the other player.
ZOMFGOMBIES!
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

dm_zane wrote:
ST_DM_Myle wrote:
Clairitus buttgnaw
Mike O'rnole

Myle
I actually think the Mike name is funny. It's an obvious play at words, but come on..........ban on site without discussion? Meanwhile we have Chuck Norris and Britney Spears receiving DM discussions. I bet 1/2 the people didn't get the name to begin with. His name is Mike for crying out loud. I suppose something like Hugh Jazz would be ban on site as well?
So we agree that Clairitus buttgnaw should be drop kicked, but disagree on Mikey.... *nods*

lol... seriously though, this is why a standard is needed ... a Standard for players..... and one for DM responses to names that raise red flags. This is why I started the discussion in the DM thread. I tend to be more conservative and harsher in my responses than most. I recognise this and I do not what my more authoritarian style to overshadow a players freedom of having fun. The sticky point is how to achieve a set of guidelines that cover things clearly enough that players have a clear understanding of our expectations of them... without having those guidelines be strict to the point of choking?

Perhaps an outright ban on sight of any name is too much?... Perhaps the port to jail and a fair attempt at dialogue should precede any disciplinary action?
I can concede that both of those are valid points.

As for the play on words thing... how much should we accept when a person is clearly trying to see how far they can press the line? I am not a fan of line pushing when the line they are pressing against is regarding rules of acceptable behavior/language/adult content.

We also have a rule against outright homosexual behavior that Driller left little exception for interpretation... but it happens still in a "Don't ask/Don't tell" fashion.... What if same gender people start (insert minor behavior)... how far does the behavior need to progress before it classifies as offensive? as bannable? A person with strong beliefs about that lifestyle would judge more harshly that someone who could care less.

Now I can hear the response:

Don't compare homosexuality to questionable character names.
-The pro-homosexual crowd will no doubt think they are being unfairly linked to an unpleasant subject.
-The anti-homosexual crowd will no doubt think I am trying to trivialize the servers position on homosexuality.
-The rest of the crowd will no doubt think that I am trying to relate the subjects in an effort to place more validation on the issue of character names than is warrented.

The servers policy on homosexual policy is not the question here. Like it or not, it is a rule that is writ to stone and DM's are bound to enforce as part of our duties here.

The question here is about where the line of tolerance regarding characters names will be drawn, should it be drawn, and who should be the one to draw it.
Mike O'rnole is a funny play on words. Hugh Jazz is also. I have no doubt that both names could be used by players and that the attached characters could become valuable assets amoung the playerbase....

But those names each represent a line that other less mature players will try to top. I would post a possible progression, but I don't want to give anyone ideas. I also have a personal issue with the idea that my kid plays here... I don't want her to turn to me one day with a raised eyebrow and ask me why we let people run around with names that she would get in trouble for typing out as words...

Yes, she hears and may even say worse at school - but the point is valid. If someone went around saying, "My name is I want to f*** off and ski, good morning to you." we as DM's would not debate much about how in approprate the language was... But will we allow a name like Ivan Tophokovanski... I mean, if Mike is okay, why not allow Ivan if it is just a play on words?

This is what I mean by escalation.

Avoiding escalation is only achieved by setting and enforcing a standard.

I have had names of some of my own characters questioned and after I explained the reason behind the name I got the green light.

I don't want a rule in place that equates to open season on players with questionable names. I am just looking to add a set of guidelines that we can point to that tells players that offensive or disruptive character names can and likely will result in the character being put in jail or possibily even a Ban.
How we as DM's execute that rule need not be a strict absolute... and I do think that players should be able to apply for an appeal without repercussions.

Myle
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
Roland Deschain
Duke
Duke

Post by Roland Deschain »

I have a Couple more names I have that I would like some input on.

Armor Holder and Weapon Holder.

Both are names of my mules and I have actually RP'd with others about the names before. ( even though they found my name out OOC. )

About Myle's latest post:
Personally, I think only a name that has a homosexual meaning, is directed at a player and offensive, or has cursing in it should be banned. If a name is in question port them to jail and question the intent of the character or meaning of the name, if the DM hears what he wants to, let the player go. If the player is rude or intends to cause trouble with the name then deal with it by jailing, or banning them.
Roland Deschain
Alain Johnson
Cuthbert Allgood
Marten Broadcloak
Cort
Rarebru Balancebringer
Walter O' Dim
Sleepy
Feanara Telrunya
Thanatos
Duke
Duke

Post by Thanatos »

Question: Can you even BAN Chuck Norris?

*on reflection, Thanny decides that suggesting this may have been a bad idea and will ultimately lead to a slew of Chuck Norris facts, resulting in a locking of a thread and an opening of a new one in the off-topic discussion...*
Fact: Ninjas are mammals
Fact: Ninjas fight ALL the time
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

I have no personal issue with "utility names".

Ey Gotstuph (I got stuff)
Imma Pacrat (I'm a pack rat)
Carie N'junx (Carrying Junk)

And the less imaginative:
Weapon Mule
Armor Mule
Shiele Mule

ETC...

I see no reason to regulate the use of the character name as a utility tool. I am not trying to have an RP litmus test, just establish a standard of acceptablity that makes sense and holds in parity with our other standards.

While some of the puns are painful to the humour-bone, if those puns are not offensive they are not harmful.

and to answer another persons inquiry about the length of a name.... geesh... that is something I kinda want to shy from hard-ruling and would rather leave up to DM review IF it comes up as a problem. Having a long name or title is not - on it's own - something that would be a problem (to me, anyways).... But if someone with a realy long name is also being a pain in the back-side.... The long name/title would likely contribute to the negative.

Myle
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

Thanatos wrote:Question: Can you even BAN Chuck Norris?

*on reflection, Thanny decides that suggesting this may have been a bad idea and will ultimately lead to a slew of Chuck Norris facts, resulting in a locking of a thread and an opening of a new one in the off-topic discussion...*
No, you can not ban Chuck Norris. Attempting to ban Chuck Norris would result in the activation of the Chuck Norris Effect on Drillers computer... which would result in a deady cyber fist attack from the screen against every person in Tennessee.

Chuck Norris does not need to log on to play, he exists in game at will.

You can ban someone using Chuck Norris's name, because they clearly are not Chuck Norris if they break the rules.

Chuck Norris can not break the rules of the server, he is the rule on the server.
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
Roland Deschain
Duke
Duke

Post by Roland Deschain »

ST_DM_Myle wrote:
Thanatos wrote:Question: Can you even BAN Chuck Norris?

No, you can not ban Chuck Norris. Attempting to ban Chuck Norris would result in the activation of the Chuck Norris Effect on Drillers computer... which would result in a deady cyber fist attack from the screen against every person in Tennessee.

You can ban someone using Chuck Norris's name, because they clearly are not Chuck Norris if they break the rules.

Chuck Norris can not break the rules of the server, he is the rule on the server.
*runs from his computer so not to get hit by Chuck cyber fist*

Nice facts by the way myle lol
Roland Deschain
Alain Johnson
Cuthbert Allgood
Marten Broadcloak
Cort
Rarebru Balancebringer
Walter O' Dim
Sleepy
Feanara Telrunya
Thanatos
Duke
Duke

Post by Thanatos »

ST_DM_Myle wrote:No, you can not ban Chuck Norris. Attempting to ban Chuck Norris would result in the activation of the Chuck Norris Effect on Drillers computer... which would result in a deady cyber fist attack from the screen against every person in Tennessee.

A Sound ruling. Very good.
Fact: Ninjas are mammals
Fact: Ninjas fight ALL the time
Tiberius
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Tiberius »

Roland Deschain wrote:Highlord and Potentate Grizzle Ghast, centurion Kight of the Earl Grey Tea
Aegis wrote:Earl Grey, Lord of Blackstone Night Soil, King Lychee eater, Epic Harper Scout

Aren't these making fun of a guild names? Why didn't you list these ones Myle? I mean, it can offend people if their in the guild its or whoever leads the guild.
It offends me, just like the mal-grey name I was telling you about and how Vayne said the name was made to show people that the Ral-Grey are really just idiots. I heard vayne say that to the "you know who guy" who made that character and started harassing people
Characters:

Tiberius, High Advisor of Ral-Grey
Axe Madness
Duke
Duke

Post by Axe Madness »

personally i think guild titles should be put in bio think safe to say we all check each other bio lest once over span of knowing a char :roll:
Mauric, Cervantes, Von Celer, Vicho Swift, Zod, Vex