Palladin/Palemaster Cross:

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

In BSK2, I will most likely require Palemasters to be evil. I will also not allow alignment changes. This should reduce "munchkinism".

-driller
DM_Mystic
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM_Mystic »

I don't recall saying it wasn't written in Greek. But, the spoken language WAS INDEED Aramaic. News Flash: Jesus didn't speak Greek.

That aside, you folks ever play that little game where you line up 10 kids, and give the first kid a line llike: "The brown cat with the white tail and black paws scurried down Green Street to get some chocolate milk". This is whipsered to the next kid and next kid...then the tenth kid speak aloud and you might get something like: "The red rat and a white tail deer paused on Green Street and drank chocolate milk" or whatever. Now that's 10 kids in about 5 minutes. None of the books of the bible were immediatley transcribed. In many cases, it wasn't done for hundreds of years. These stories were orally handed down from generation to generation, and person to person; village to village. You really mean to have us believe that nothing was lost in translation? Even the differences between verses in King James and NIV are vastl, and have completely different interpretations of what was being said. Yet some insist that the version THEY have is the ultimate word of god and everything else is wrong. What's the point? Read the Bible, or the Q'oran, or the Bahgavad Vita, or the Torah. In fact, read them all!!! Formulate your own impression of who and what god is to you, and dont try to force it on others and claim that they're wrong. Note: When i say "you", that is the plural "you" as in everyone.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Yes Jesus spoke Aramaic, even so, the New Testament was written in Greek and the meaning is locked in.

Mo matter which version you read, you are not going to find a signifigant difference. Definantly not one that would change the entire meaning of the New Testament, which is pretty much summed up in John 3:16.

Go here and look -> http://www.biblegateway.com

They have all the versions, literal and translated.

-driller
DM_Mystic wrote:I don't recall saying it wasn't written in Greek. But, the spoken language WAS INDEED Aramaic. News Flash: Jesus didn't speak Greek.

That aside, you folks ever play that little game where you line up 10 kids, and give the first kid a line llike: "The brown cat with the white tail and black paws scurried down Green Street to get some chocolate milk". This is whipsered to the next kid and next kid...then the tenth kid speak aloud and you might get something like: "The red rat and a white tail deer paused on Green Street and drank chocolate milk" or whatever. Now that's 10 kids in about 5 minutes. None of the books of the bible were immediatley transcribed. In many cases, it wasn't done for hundreds of years. These stories were orally handed down from generation to generation, and person to person; village to village. You really mean to have us believe that nothing was lost in translation? Even the differences between verses in King James and NIV are vastl, and have completely different interpretations of what was being said. Yet some insist that the version THEY have is the ultimate word of god and everything else is wrong. What's the point? Read the Bible, or the Q'oran, or the Bahgavad Vita, or the Torah. In fact, read them all!!! Formulate your own impression of who and what god is to you, and dont try to force it on others and claim that they're wrong. Note: When i say "you", that is the plural "you" as in everyone.
Berforam
Count
Count

Post by Berforam »

Yes, the original language that jesus used to speak is Aramaic
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Unless of course, you like to have a brand new, updated for the modern day masses approach and go with the "graphic novel" version of the bible:

http://img.forministry.com/89190031-201 ... xcerpt.pdf

Or just a modernized language update:

http://www.navpress.com/BibleProducts/

Ah the fun of language! No wonder there are entire professions dedicated to the confusion and hassle of language. I do not even pretend to have the knowledge of a linguist, but having friends who speak various languages, and a website I designed using the "babel fish" translator tool from altavista, and looking at fun translation sites like http://www.engrish.com/ I have no doubt that as much as each bible translator had the best of intentions, even "small" things that seem fine to a non-native speaker, make no sense to the person who is being given the actual translation.

Those of you who are interested in all of this bible translation stuff should definately take the time to read "The Most Real Being" by J.A. Crabtree, which does as some have suggested on this thread and taken many different bible translations and considered them when discussing a specific topic.
Tearloch
Knight
Knight

Post by Tearloch »

where oh where has this thread gone?... I love it.. as an altar boy speaking latin for 8 years.. may I say.. the nuance of the "interpreted" verions of the bible is mind boggling .. it is not so much the fact that everyone who ever "interpreted" the bible did so to meet their own agenda .. it is that now.. we have zealots twisting it to meet their credo.. my how God must chcukle.. when she is not so busy laughing her ass off at all the self-rightiousness prevalent.. oops... did I say that out loud?.. :lol:
"And how can man die better, than in facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his father, and the temples of his Gods" .. Horatio at the Gate
GoVols
Count
Count

Post by GoVols »

Hey, there is even an Ebonics version. I heard on the radio just the other day a group is "translating" the current KJV I believe into a more understandable version for people who use more ebonics in their day to day converstaions and they don't understand alot of what is written. There was a reference of "people from the hood" that get all the "ye's" etc. in the current KJV.

There are references to MLK Jr. and the like in this "version" of the Bible.

The one verse they read on the radio actually sounded like they changed the content quit a bit though. MLK in the Bible??
I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.
ValentianNizzle
Duke
Duke

Post by ValentianNizzle »

GoVols wrote:Hey, there is even an Ebonics version. I heard on the radio just the other day a group is "translating" the current KJV I believe into a more understandable version for people who use more ebonics in their day to day converstaions and they don't understand alot of what is written. There was a reference of "people from the hood" that get all the "ye's" etc. in the current KJV.

There are references to MLK Jr. and the like in this "version" of the Bible.

The one verse they read on the radio actually sounded like they changed the content quit a bit though. MLK in the Bible??
If they have MLK we need to have Al Sharpton and Louis Farrakhan as well, Yo..
Lady Tray'o Curs-ed Song
Baron
Baron

Post by Lady Tray'o Curs-ed Song »

Hey Nizzle,

Please don't forget Malcolm X. What the hell is wrong with you. LOL.
Lady Tray'o Curs-ed Song: First Knight of Blood

ValentianNizzle
Duke
Duke

Post by ValentianNizzle »

Lady Tray'o Curs-ed Song wrote:Hey Nizzle,

Please don't forget Malcolm X. What the hell is wrong with you. LOL.
LOL! Damn, I forgot Malcom X. How could I!? :x
Tearloch
Knight
Knight

Post by Tearloch »

...with Richard Pryor, Bill Cosby and Dave Chappell for balance... **de tre wise dudes**
"And how can man die better, than in facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his father, and the temples of his Gods" .. Horatio at the Gate
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

Add ebonics to the equation and the already slippery road is washed away in a 40 day and 40 night deluge.

The wonderful thing about the Bible is that the significance of its message is contained in 10 Commandments for easy reference.

As for the PM/Paly arguement... I still do not get why everyone is stuck on the archtypes of the classes as doctrine for what a character is.

PM could be representative of body hardening training, though in this case, epic spells would be innapropraite and PM feats would be better spent on something like elemental resistances. The PM summons might also be out of place.

Paladin levels could represent an oppositional school of training to the BladeCaster. Who better to take on a Battlemage than a warrior trained to collapse spellfields? Of course, smite and powers based on Turn Undead would not be in keeping with this idea.

I do not see any RP problem with the combination, as long as the class abilites which do not fit the characters RP are not used in RP. In this way it is more a matter of reasonable self-control and less a matter of PvP-uberness.

Myle
Artist? Writer? Musician?
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
http://www.myspace.com/st_dm_myle
Dyremoore
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Dyremoore »

Hmmmm....seems like a lot of work to try and justify the PM/Pally. Why not just admit that it's NOT an RP class. Come on...

"Gosh, golly my evil character will become a Paladin for the physical regimen to strengthen his magic smashing power. Oh, nevermind the definition of Paladin. Isn't is something like a holy fanatic warrior of good... geez, gosh... oh well, I can convince myself that its good RP and go with it based on some obscure and biased religious reference... gollygee.."

- Don't choke on the sarcasm here, but really. Let's call a spade a spade and stop beating around the bush. Pally/PM's are not RP chars in any sense. The only reason a person attempts to explain why they would become so is to justify to an uninterested audience that they are great RP'rs and can take on the "challenge" of a unique character. HOGWASH!

This server, fortunately allows for all to do as they wish as long as they play nice with the other kiddies. So, let's just admit that the Pally/PM is a bogus build and get back to the Ebonics bible debate. It seems more factual! :twisted:

And, because of his influence and mindful philosophies of "Shut up, Sucka!", it is my opinion that Mr.T should be included as one of the great Ebonic icons of the new, revised edition bible. After the "A-team", Rocky and Wrestlemania, I think he's earned it. SO RECO'NIZE, FOO!
"...we will restore chaos and order."

Key toons:
Kra'kk Bone'zz
Elvis Shadowmaker
Bloodfangz (son of Kra'kk)
Pretty Fly White Guy
Duke
Duke

Post by Pretty Fly White Guy »

driller wrote:Yes Jesus spoke Aramaic, even so, the New Testament was written in Greek and the meaning is locked in.

Mo matter which version you read, you are not going to find a signifigant difference. Definantly not one that would change the entire meaning of the New Testament, which is pretty much summed up in John 3:16.

-driller
This is a joke. Please don't take this too seriously :)
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Wrong one, I wasn't trying to preach religion, just clear up a few misconceptions.

Here is the correct one for me:
http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/warr ... /admin.htm

-driller
Pretty Fly White Guy wrote:
driller wrote:Yes Jesus spoke Aramaic, even so, the New Testament was written in Greek and the meaning is locked in.

-driller
This is a joke. Please don't take this too seriously :)