Palladin/Palemaster Cross:

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

Snark was a cute fuzzy friend to the Thunder Cats with a speech impediment and does not deserve to have his name used in vain. ... anyways..

Before people have a open forum debate about the Bible, it would be good to remember it has been rewritten several times by humans who took a touch of creative license. Interpretations by clergy often fall prey to similar human failings. An individuals personal relationship with thier Savior is based on far more truth and fact than any oft revised book.

I think all would be better served if we saved the religious tit-for-tat for a dedicated thread or PM's. Religious debate should aim to enlighten and awaken another to thier connection to the Savior. Religious debate should not be founded on sarcasm or hi-jacking.

Personally, I would like to see a dedicated thread, providing the debate was one of expression, teaching and exploring the works so many hold dear.

Myle
Artist? Writer? Musician?
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
http://www.myspace.com/st_dm_myle
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

On a note appropriate to this thread.

Why do so many resist the idea that the Paladin and the PM class can be used to represent RP factors which are not included in the archtype descriptions in the manuals?

Myle
Artist? Writer? Musician?
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
http://www.myspace.com/st_dm_myle
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

The Bible wasn't "rewritten" as you call it, that is a common misconception.

Some Bibles contain certain books that others don't, but they were not rewritten.

The Protestant Holy Bible is the Tanakh and the New Testament, both have the same text as they always had from the beginning.

You could argue the point on idioms and such, but they are relativaly minor.

-driller

ST_DM_Myle wrote:Snark was a cute fuzzy friend to the Thunder Cats with a speech impediment and does not deserve to have his name used in vain. ... anyways..

Before people have a open forum debate about the Bible, it would be good to remember it has been rewritten several times by humans who took a touch of creative license. Interpretations by clergy often fall prey to similar human failings. An individuals personal relationship with thier Savior is based on far more truth and fact than any oft revised book.

I think all would be better served if we saved the religious tit-for-tat for a dedicated thread or PM's. Religious debate should aim to enlighten and awaken another to thier connection to the Savior. Religious debate should not be founded on sarcasm or hi-jacking.

Personally, I would like to see a dedicated thread, providing the debate was one of expression, teaching and exploring the works so many hold dear.

Myle
Last edited by driller on Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chix0r
Baron
Baron

Post by chix0r »

driller wrote:The Bible wasn't "rewritten" as you call it, that is a common misconseption.

Some Bibles contain certain books that others don't, but they were not rewritten.

The Protestant Holy Bible is the Tanakh and the New Testament, both have the same text as they always had from the beginning.

-driller

ST_DM_Myle wrote:Snark was a cute fuzzy friend to the Thunder Cats with a speech impediment and does not deserve to have his name used in vain. ... anyways..

Myle
Well, I don't think it was so much creative license, but I don't care how good you are at languages, through the long process of translating the texts through all kinds of languages, there have been a few details tweaked and changed. These "minor" details all add up to make some rather strange and often completely different forms of the original story, sometimes with completely different inflections and implications. I believe the term is "lost in translation".

As for the thread itself, yes, a paladin/PM build has wonderful RP opportunities, but that's not why people generally take the class, particularly not in a lite RP, medium PvP server like BSK. They take it because it has immunity to crits, and often concoct a half-assed attempt at a background story that makes no sense. A paladin PM should be forced to be a fallen paladin, or something of the sort, for his dabblings in the death arts and necromancy, or at least in my opinion. They get to keep all their abilities and still have immunity to crits, which is the reason they took it in the first place.
"Whyyyy?! Whyyy my piggy, whyyy? I loveded you piggy, I loveded youuu!" -- Gir, Invader Zim

It breaks my heart everytime I hear it! xD
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

The Bible hasn't been translated from "all kinds of languages".

This is another common misconception.

The Old Testament was translated from Hebrew and the New Testament was translated from Greek.

-driller
chix0r wrote:
driller wrote:The Bible wasn't "rewritten" as you call it, that is a common misconseption.

-driller

Myle
Well, I don't think it was so much creative license, but I don't care how good you are at languages, through the long process of translating the texts through all kinds of languages, there have been a few details tweaked and changed. These "minor" details all add up to make some rather strange and often completely different forms of the original story, sometimes with completely different inflections and implications. I believe the term is "lost in translation".

As for the thread itself, yes, a paladin/PM build has wonderful RP opportunities, but that's not why people generally take the class, particularly not in a lite RP, medium PvP server like BSK. They take it because it has immunity to crits, and often concoct a half-assed attempt at a background story that makes no sense. A paladin PM should be forced to be a fallen paladin, or something of the sort, for his dabblings in the death arts and necromancy, or at least in my opinion. They get to keep all their abilities and still have immunity to crits, which is the reason they took it in the first place.
Pretty Fly White Guy
Duke
Duke

Post by Pretty Fly White Guy »

i think this is getting waaaaay off-topic. I'm a supersticious atheist, but thats what i say i am. you can decide what you think i am. I've read the bible, in both english and german (I'm a fluent speaker) and i've noticed little to no changes at all. the few changes there are do not make us think Jesus wasn't Arabic, and was in fact a KKK loving american goverment official (Like there aren't enough), they're just simply other uses for the words.

I think you should make a thread about religion, and i'd love to partcipte. but keep it out of this thread, religion isn't important here.
DM Rendyll
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM Rendyll »

How about an Off Topic forum for all this? Personally, I would much rather see game related posts here than a tired old discussion about various religions and their interpretations. Frankly, I'd rather see religion and politics removed completely from the forums, but I can't make that call, unfortunately.

As you can tell, I have little to no use for religion of any kind, but those are my thoughts, not yours ;)

To each their own, I'd just rather not read about it :twisted:
Play by the spirit of the rules, not by the letter of the law.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

You are mistaken, this isn't about religion. The responses where to correct misconceptions about the Bible which are easily verifiable. Nothing else.

A discussion about the validity of Gnosticism would be a thread on religion.

-driller
dm_demitri
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by dm_demitri »

*reads a bit*

Wow... I never knew I was talking about religion at all. Learn something new everyday I guess.

I saw references to a talking donkey in the bible, and gave the scripture reference for one I knew of that was not already referenced. Then made a humorous comparison between mind-numbing sermons and mind-numbing saturday morning cartoons, and instantly I'm supposedly talking religion! :P

Rest assurred, I wont debate religion or politics on any forum. Trying to change the belief structure of another person is foolhardy at best, as each lives their own life and will believe whatever they wish to believe regardless of what I say.

A friendly debate about points of interest is fine, and enjoyable from time to time, but as soon as it gets heated it leaves the realm of friendly debate and enters the realm of arguments... No thanks, I'll pass.

Anyhow, if anyone wishes to believe I was talking religion... Well, Guess there's no changing that belief either, huh? :P

Just my thoughts, take them as you will.
~Demitri
DM_Mystic
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM_Mystic »

Jesus and his followers spoke Aramaic. The was a street-ish language for the time, and undoubetdly words were misinterpereted. It would be the same as somone several hundred years from now reading the statement "That was a very cool thing to say" We, at least most of us can identify the context to mean "cool" in the sense of "nice", "good" or a generally good connotation. But for somone who isn't intimately familiar with our culture would probably take a more literal interpretation, such as "cold". The natural assumption from that would be "devoid of warmth", and therefore closer to "apathetic". Since "apathetic" is a musch less confusing term, the translator would be more likely to replace "cold" with "apathetic"; making the translated statement. "That was a very apathetic thing to say". This is one example of one word. I haven't even gotten in to things like "shizzle", etc. But most languages have words that connot be directly translated to another language. How many of these mis-traslations could one assume are in the bible?

And for those who think otherwise, I am not "heated" or even emotional about this. That's one of the big problems with typed messages as opposed to spoken ones. I enjoy discussing religion and spirituality. I am always in the hope that I can impart some wisdom, and gain some as well.
dm_demitri
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by dm_demitri »

"And for those who think otherwise, I am not "heated" or even emotional about this. That's one of the big problems with typed messages as opposed to spoken ones. I enjoy discussing religion and spirituality. I am always in the hope that I can impart some wisdom, and gain some as well."
See? That's what a friendly debate is all about. Though that would still beg the question of, "Why would we be having such a debate here?" :P Not that it bothers me in any way, shape or form. ;)

Alrighty then! That's my squeek for now! :D
~Demitri
Pretty Fly White Guy
Duke
Duke

Post by Pretty Fly White Guy »

i didn't think you were getting over-emotional. of course emotions will be involved with religion. people base their lives around it. I would love to discuss religion and (especially) politics in a seperate thread, just here it isnt appropriate.

And btw, you havn't ever seen me emotional or ever angry. I AM true neutral :)

I'm kidding, but i seriously couldnt take offence to what someone i've never met says about me. yeah, you've seen pictures, big woop.

i forget why this is relevant to the thread, but i really have to go to sleep, its light outside.

(i'm not a vampire (!) )
ValentianNizzle
Duke
Duke

Post by ValentianNizzle »

DM_Mystic wrote:Jesus and his followers spoke Aramaic. The was a street-ish language for the time, and undoubetdly words were misinterpereted. It would be the same as somone several hundred years from now reading the statement "That was a very cool thing to say" We, at least most of us can identify the context to mean "cool" in the sense of "nice", "good" or a generally good connotation. But for somone who isn't intimately familiar with our culture would probably take a more literal interpretation, such as "cold". The natural assumption from that would be "devoid of warmth", and therefore closer to "apathetic". Since "apathetic" is a musch less confusing term, the translator would be more likely to replace "cold" with "apathetic"; making the translated statement. "That was a very apathetic thing to say". This is one example of one word. I haven't even gotten in to things like "shizzle", etc. But most languages have words that connot be directly translated to another language. How many of these mis-traslations could one assume are in the bible?

And for those who think otherwise, I am not "heated" or even emotional about this. That's one of the big problems with typed messages as opposed to spoken ones. I enjoy discussing religion and spirituality. I am always in the hope that I can impart some wisdom, and gain some as well.
Fo' shizzle, my Nizzle :!:
Pretty Fly White Guy wrote: i forget why this is relevant to the thread, but i really have to go to sleep, its light outside.

(i'm not a vampire (!) )

So you say.. :roll:
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

It is almost universally accepted that the New Testament was written in Greek. You are talking about idioms.

The Bible is the most examined book in history, it's idioms are well know and have been transliterated.

When you read the translated vs the transliterated, the meaning doesn't change.

-driller

DM_Mystic wrote:Jesus and his followers spoke Aramaic. The was a street-ish language for the time, and undoubetdly words were misinterpereted. It would be the same as somone several hundred years from now reading the statement "That was a very cool thing to say" We, at least most of us can identify the context to mean "cool" in the sense of "nice", "good" or a generally good connotation. But for somone who isn't intimately familiar with our culture would probably take a more literal interpretation, such as "cold". The natural assumption from that would be "devoid of warmth", and therefore closer to "apathetic". Since "apathetic" is a musch less confusing term, the translator would be more likely to replace "cold" with "apathetic"; making the translated statement. "That was a very apathetic thing to say". This is one example of one word. I haven't even gotten in to things like "shizzle", etc. But most languages have words that connot be directly translated to another language. How many of these mis-traslations could one assume are in the bible?

Caesius
Duke
Duke

Post by Caesius »

Biblical interpretation aside, while a Paladin/Palemaster is an unusual combination, I would probably roleplay it as a knight who has returned from the grave. Perhaps some curse that keeps him from his eternal rest until he destroys a powerful necromancer he faced in life. Who knows, all sorts of things can happen to an adventurer. While taking this combination just for the Uberness isn't necessarily illegal, I do find it kind of cheezy unless there is an interesting story to back it up.
The only constant is change.