The Newcastle Server

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Arwaine_Sunstar
Knight
Knight

Post by Arwaine_Sunstar »

Okay all after reading all the posts here I would like to put in my peace on this topic and them maybe some of you will understand why allot of us whom interacted with the admins of New Castle before they had their server on BSK or any other server they played on before Such as Among the Mists.

I was one of the founding members of the admin staff there and along came the admin of New Castle in search for a new server to call their home. After the time the spent on BSK they claimed it was a bad server which I know the whole story about what happened on BSK in fact.

I have screenshots of it well at least I had screenshots before but I do not know if they are still on my photo bucket account or not. But anyways they joined my server and all of a sudden they claimed to have the number of members needed for a guild then we later found out that they had more then 2 computers in their house and were logged on as 2 characters each. And only technically had 3 members that were legit the other 2 were their own characters which was against our rules.

But we were nice and let it slide and let them get the guildhall and such. after a short time on the server they saw a post on our forums requesting some help with scripting and other toolset related issues they offered to help us well we agreed to it but first we wanted to test them as dm's before we trusted them with our server they seemed to be alright at dming and we trusted them so we agreed to let them help us and sent them a copy of the mod to help us with some stuff.

Well they decided to take it upon themselves to add in all kinds of stuff that wound up causing major lag on the server script wise and creature wise they also added in some unbeatable creatures throughout the realm and caused allot of the players to get mad and quit.

When it came time to discuss quests one of the admin got all upset because someone else offered to help with the quests and felt as if she was losing her job with the server so she snapped on them in an email and it caused even more problems that we later found out about.

When they sent us the mod back and it corrupted within a days time costing us over 6 months worth of hard work and we had to start over from scratch which sucked but let us make the server even better, now having better knowledge then before we got the server back up and running within a few days after this all happened and started to rebuild our player base.

Well the one dm outright quit the server and then the other one put in his notice of leaving but wanted us to let him continue to have dm rights until his notice became effective.

But we were not fools and changed our dm password because we found out that they were promoting their server via our forums through pms to our players and were using tells on the server which we had logs of at the time but lost them due to a virus.

But now that I am done ranting. This is the whole point to me even posting and it is that I don't care if someone takes other peoples work for their own use. but AT LEAST give the people credit for doing the work in the first place and don’t claim that it is all your own work when it is not.
Last edited by Arwaine_Sunstar on Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arwaine_Sunstar
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

*starts reading and stops because it's TOO hard to read... Wonders if the [enter] key is on the poster's computer*
Jazelle
Duke
Duke

Post by Jazelle »

Ok so let me get this right. Your saying that New Castle was taken over? It's no that clear in your post.
The world is a strange place.
Gibbo
Duke
Duke

Post by Gibbo »

I believe he was trying to say he worked on a server that the owners of NC visited as players. They became DM's, then started advertising their server subtly and in not-so-secret. Some examples were discretely posting on the forums, adding things to signatures, sending tells in game, etc etc.

Of course, that's what I read.
ZOMFGOMBIES!
Caesius
Duke
Duke

Post by Caesius »

So far I am inclined to agree with Gibbo's interpretation of Arwaine_Sunstar's post.
The only constant is change.
Jazelle
Duke
Duke

Post by Jazelle »

Ah I see. Well that is a no no over all.
Hordack
Duke
Duke

Post by Hordack »

Mr Cliff
I stopped going to Windhill when the DM's went wonky ... all the BS in town and killing people ... too much for me .... adios Windhill
Strange you never brought this issue up with a Admin or anyone, and I am sorry you experience wasn't as you liked it. Next time speak up so we can fix the issue and problem.

An for my defenders of NewCastle ... well what can I say? I am glad I am banned cause way things look I rather play on BSK2 and Windhill and I sure Driller will give me another 3.5 years of good fun with nwn2 and I have my friends on Windhill. Me personaly I have nothing more to say on this subject.
Hordack The Dark
"Thief of Blackstone Keep"
Your only a "Legend" if the people believe the "myth's" that are told about you.
"Dark Stalker" aka "Hordack The Dark Thief of Blackstone Keep"
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

It is generally poor form to put links in Signatures that divert to other servers unless permission is granted by the host.

There is also a big differences between trying to poach players and having someone asking where you have been during an absence.

There is an etiquette, even if mostly unwritten, that players and servers should follow out of respect for eachother.

Since Driller has, himself, offered suggestions for other NWN1 servers since he is refocusing on NWN2, then politely posting about other servers on the forums should be fine.

As for Winhill, I have not been there myself, but I have heard more good things about it than bad. Giving it a chance might be worth the effort.

I have not yet visited Newcastle, but I plan to. I am interested to see if it lives up to the hype.

I have mentioned, Amia is a fun server.... though they are pretty busy and a touch laggy.. the smash and grab looters will not have much fun there, but patient RP'ers will.

And of course, Legends of Talan'ith, is the server I run with Jaz. It is a huge world that currently has a nice size player base of people who play with the aim of everyone having fun.

There are lots of options, many not even mentioned yet on the forum.

Myle
Artist? Writer? Musician?
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
http://www.myspace.com/st_dm_myle
Dan8145
Duke
Duke

Post by Dan8145 »

Oh my dear Hordy. What rubbish you spout. You think people shoulb be treated fairly, no matter what happens on other servers..what a load of crap. Remember what you said to me when I last visited BSK? You know why you are banned. No one on Newcastle wants ya, clear enough.

*** post edited by Carpe *** keep it civil folks be wary of backdrafts.
Queen Naga II
Duke
Duke

Post by Queen Naga II »

Seems some have got reputations which follow them, it is the host/owner of a server that has the right to say anyone is not wanted on their server and thats an end to it.

After all we as players are merely guests, anyone who doesn't like someone else would not invite them to their own home would they ?

So am afraid that is the case here with Newcastle, and they don't have to give you a reason either.

For my part I was warmly greeted within a few minutes of logging in, given a few pointers and generally felt welcomed to the server.

So what if they have pinched idea's from this or that server, I see nothing wrong it picking out ideas that they think would be good for their server.

If anyone cares to look at the notice board at the enterence to BSK at the docks you can actually see in Drillers own hand, that he offers scripts from the game to those that may be interested.

Or has this little fact been ignored now ?

Amia I found to be lacking in fun all together dispite the claim of being a RP server all I ever got was either ignored or forced to party up with powerplayers. The player base is too big DM's stick to their favoured little groups and don't even notice a new arrival.

Believe it or not I had my character sitting in the main square RP'ing to myself for 3/4 of an hour fixing and repairing my characters longbow, trying to see if I could get some reaction. When someone finally sent me a tell saying " what are you doing ? Everyone thinks with what you are doing with your bow thinks you want to be left alone (???) "

Then another said in plain talk without as much as // or OOC: " hey there headless we don't use CEP hak packs here"

RP server !!! Amia !!! No they just don't go together. RP only happens as a matter of convenience there so to get granted the gifts you need providing your accepted to one of the elite clubs that is.
Carpe_DM1
Count
Count

Post by Carpe_DM1 »

Now folks, it's time to return to common courtesy. Should people who run their own server choose to ban someone, that is their choice and right. Just as Driller has that option here. Personally, I believe that everyone deserves a fair chance at a fresh start and if they behave, then let them play and leave them be. IF they start displaying bad attitude etc, then that's cause enough. Leave your crap behind you, whether you are server admin or player.

FIRST AND FOREMOST THIS IS A GAME

Secondly, there is no need for flames or name calling here at any point. And that goes not only for personal issues but for discussion of other servers. It's alright to discuss another server as Driller pointed out, but please do not denigrate other places. It only points to bad reputations as players and as a server. (whether or not BSK 1) is still around or not makes no difference, but it can and will affect future players. If I were a new player to NWN and looking for a server, and I saw these posts, I doubt I would choose to play either. Bitter apples makes terrible pie, folks. I suggest those of you who posted negatively here (and I don't care if you are a bsk player or a newcastle player) suck it up and keep your personal griefs private and not publicise it. You only affect the readers opinions of yourselves.

And finally, let's all try to forgive and forget and be thankful that there are people out there who make nice places for us all to play on. Be thank ful that there are good opportunities to make some friends and have some fun. From now to Next month is the time for Thanksgiving in Canada and America, so let's all just remember this special time of year and put unpleasantness in the past and be thankful for all that is good in life.

I wish you all good health, good relations and good wishes for the future.

Carpe

Happy Thanksgiving to all wherever you are.
"Common sense is not so common" -Voltaire
"I thought to myself 'Why doesn't someone do something about that?' ...And then I realized I'm someone" - Lily Tomlin (when commenting on the environment and other tragic circumstances)
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

=D>

BRAVO! Well said Carpe!!

And again, it all boils down to the following, I think everyone should have learned in kindergarten:

PLAY NICE
BE NICE TO OTHERS
SHARE!!
DON'T HOG THE RED CRAYONS

And I think there are many who ignore those above rules, and therefore are not welcome in certain places. Darn, it sucks to be expelled before you even start first grade.
Hordack
Duke
Duke

Post by Hordack »

Nicely put Mr Carpe_DM1 ... That is why we have a open door at our little server and what you did somewhere else dosen't reflect back on you.

Myles and Jaz welcome to stop by at anytime to poke around. :D

Hordy
Hordack The Dark
"Thief of Blackstone Keep"
Your only a "Legend" if the people believe the "myth's" that are told about you.
"Dark Stalker" aka "Hordack The Dark Thief of Blackstone Keep"
Gibbo
Duke
Duke

Post by Gibbo »

*cough*

I'm not the best advocate here simply because of my own experiences...

But if you wanted to play on that server, and you found out that they're people you've had a problem with in the past, why didn't you try and apologize and make amends? This feud you guys have going on with these other people... it's nonsensical-- however I know both you pretty well over the years, Hordack, and you, wdpepsiman. You both wouldn't apologize for something you did even if it meant your life. You'll just go ahead and claim it was all ic or it's their problem and their fault and nothing will ever get done. And now that they've banned you... well, now they've offended you and there's no way that things can be smoothed out. Anyone else think I'm warm?

I don't know those people well, but at the very least if you want to try and fix things: be proactive, not moody. I'm sure you can muster up the resources to find their email and send them something.
ZOMFGOMBIES!
Jazelle
Duke
Duke

Post by Jazelle »

Hordack wrote:Nicely put Mr Carpe_DM1 ... That is why we have a open door at our little server and what you did somewhere else dosen't reflect back on you.

Myles and Jaz welcome to stop by at anytime to poke around. :D

Hordy
I have Hordack. Pan's place is very nice and I had no problems with it. Just I have limited my playing time to LoT and BSK. It's just too hard to keep track of so much on so many servers.

In the same vein you can visit LoT too. I do clean up the player folders every 6 months so if you were there earlier than that you will have to make a new char. But over all as I said folks are welcome as long as they respect each other and behave.

Should have LoT updated soon just a few bugs to work out before I update the main server. Other than that I'm sure folks will visit many servers to find one they like.