The Fate of Blackstone

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Fate of Blackstone

Post by driller »

To whom it may concern.

Blackstone I will be shutting down after Oct 12th and I will be working full time on Blackstone for NWN2.

I have put up Blackstone v1.0 for NWN2 as placeholder until I get all the MOTB content added and the areas changed to a more wide open layout. I am going to move away from the linear design of BSK1.

Direct Connect -> blackstonekeep.com:5200
This will change to the standard port 5121 after Oct 12th.

Get the PWC file here -> pwc

There is no reason to keep BSK1 running since most of the players have left for http://trialsofnewcastle.com

A server made by ex players that which is uncannily similar to BSK1 from what I hear.

If you want to play NWN1 in a BSK-like world, then that is your best option.

-driller
Dan8145
Duke
Duke

Post by Dan8145 »

It's not the server, it's the people. BSK is, and always will be, uber. But the people make it what it is. Very little DM interaction here anymore. Are you suprised people have lost interest? I hope BSK II fares better for you. Take care, and thanks for the good times.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

That is true. But, in my experience, the DMs have been the source of most of the problems I have had.

I will not have DMs per se on BSK2. I will set it up to be ran by the players and their imaginations.

That is one reason why it will be more open ended. Once the player count reaches a certain number, players will be able to vote for one of them to be the storyteller.

The player that wins this vote will be granted DM-Like powers for that session. Maybe a little experimental, but worth a try to see if it works.

-driller
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

Good luck with BSK II ... it's been fun ... I hope they (Bioware) patch NWN2 to make it as viable and fun as NWN1 is. Adios!
tropiofCancer
Count
Count

Post by tropiofCancer »

Well it was a damn good run Driller, hopefully the kinks will be worked out on NWN2 and we can all play there . You know I have heard alot of complaints about the DM's on your server but it is of little consequence to me anyway . The DMs there are only concerned w/ pwning you in the arena with the exception of Carpe . I think its very inventive of you to run your new server as you posted you would . I will definitely give it a go . Thanks for dedicating so much time and interest in BSK over the years , regardless of the complaints you get its the best server I have encountered on online gaming . Thanks for the Good Times .
dark-777
Baron
Baron

Post by dark-777 »

I couldn't agree more with TropicOfCancer, this was by far the best server online, I've had the time of my life at that server. And yes, Driller... side-stepping the DMs is a hell of an idea. I will definitely re-install when BSK2 is up and running. .. and Dan :roll: Lmao, I'm sure they have a surgery that will remove your lips from Dorrians posterior... Unless of course you fused them there yourself.. and from the sound of your comment.. that is exactly what you did. So good luck with that, my advice to you. Nose plugs.. you'll need em.
Perforación de la luz con una oscuridad confortante
tropiofCancer
Count
Count

Post by tropiofCancer »

ROFL!
Hordack
Duke
Duke

bye bye BSK1

Post by Hordack »

Well I will miss good old BSK1 ... and I am sure to stop by on BSK2 when it gets up and running ... It's been fun .

Anyone looking for a good Nwn1 home can check out http://www.designgroup23.net

Hordack
Dan8145
Duke
Duke

Post by Dan8145 »

Erm Tela?? Not too sure what you mean? I go where the players are...I began to lose interest in BSK...why do you think I got to 40, and made more? Not much else to do..no events, little RP ( and I aint no RP'er BTW ) and people (no names) being petty and juvenile. Great server, some great people ( you know who you are ) and, well, a lot of idiots.

*I'm probably classed as one of the idiots*
Nizzle
Count
Count

Post by Nizzle »

Dan8145 wrote:*I'm probably classed as one of the idiots*
I'd have to concur.

But mockeries aside, this hurts to hear even though I will be excited about ze NWN2 BSK. Or rather, BSK2.

Trials of New Castle should get their asses copyright infringed. Excuse ze mentioning of posterior, but it's just plain copycatting. Despicable if you ask me. Especially since they beat me to it.
Last edited by Nizzle on Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have a rendezvous with Death
At some disputed barricade,
It may be he shall take my hand
Lead me into his dark land
Close my eyes and quench my breath
I have a rendezvous with Death
I to my pledged word am true,
I shall not fail that rendezvous
Caesius
Duke
Duke

Post by Caesius »

Let's see... BSK went down for about a month around this time of the year in 2005 so driller could spend more time with the wife and also to take Quake 4 out for a spin IIRC.

Then in 2006, it was put on a backburner but not shut down while driller experimented with a very rough-around-the-edges release of NWN2 and the prototype for BSK2.

Here we are in 2007. Once again, the venerable BSK project will once again go on hiatus while BSKII gets another go with the release of the expansion. Will this be the last we see of the original BSK? Who knows.

As for Trials of Newcastle, I can say the basic cosmology(Good God, Bad God, Neutral God) and balancing (socket and forge system) feels similar to BSK. But the geography and other small details are noticeably different.

No matter how you cut it, whether you are an NWN1 or an NWN2 player, I think there will be something for everyone. Either way, I want to thank Driller for a number of years of solid gameplay and enjoyment.
The only constant is change.
Sierante
Knight
Knight

Post by Sierante »

Glad to hear that BSK2 is coming back, it was lots of fun the first time around, and let's not forget the beautiful environment. I'm looking forward to see more of it! And I hope to see lots of BSK1 people on there as well...? 8-[
hang_on
Knight
Knight

Post by hang_on »

Well I was supposed to leave yesterday, but the job corps people at the Curlew are stupid. . . Still a bummer though. I'm gonna miss BSK1

F*** Newcastle! :evil:
I was here
Dan8145
Duke
Duke

Post by Dan8145 »

Oh hears a though....don't blame newcastle for peeps leaving...blame the peeps. OMG, go figure. And still you wonder why.....
Pretty Fly White Guy
Duke
Duke

Post by Pretty Fly White Guy »

I may pop in on BSKII every now and then.

I may be there on the 12th, to say goodbye. i think it's only fitting.