Pickpocketing gone mad!?

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Lukas_Mandingo
Duke
Duke

Pickpocketing gone mad!?

Post by Lukas_Mandingo »

ok so this is what happened...i was leveling in the portal room and when i finish there is a shadow dancer giving me a pair of dragon boots! so i take them and praise the lord that someone is giving a pair of dragon slippers to me because i already i have a pair. then after that happens i look into my inventory and find that where i had my boots in my magic bag was gone and they are now somewhere else....THAT GUY STOLE MY DRAGON SLIPPERS! i do appreciate that he gave them back be cause most wouldnt but isnt there suppost to be something that keeps really valuble items from being snathched?
~hello iam Lukas Mandingo, just the friendly neighborhood gnome~

lvl 40's-
Lukas Mandingo
Undead Lord
Caldor Bet'e'line
Lefur Nufgenk
and the latest and greatest...~The Black knight~
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Good luck. There's supposed to be a script that prevents forgestones from being PPKed, but it doesn't always fire. There are rules that thieves are supposed to follow, and are supposed to return items that are forged and such, but there's little policing on this.

If I had my way PPKing would be completely turned off. It creates too many hard feelings, and those who use it tend to abuse it, some even in the name of RP, which is a pretty poor excuse for ruining someone's quality of play.
Queen Naga II
Duke
Duke

Post by Queen Naga II »

Actually the thief has done the right thing in giving you the slippers back.

There is a script that prevents anything greater than 2 squares in your inventory from being stole. Well not entirely true.... what actually happens is the item is or should be returned to your inventory as the script fires.

Sometimes this script does misfire and the thief gets the item despite it being greater than two squares. I have lost a couple of things like this and the thief ( whomever ) choose not to return the item. Either because the didn't want too or they were unaware of the script in the first place.

I would like to think it was the latter, but anyway seems you have come across the honest sort who realise both the script existance and that they should not be able to get such an item.
Lukas_Mandingo
Duke
Duke

Post by Lukas_Mandingo »

yea i sure was lucky he was a nice rogue...man it was funny, i thought he was giving me another pair of dragon boots :lol:
~hello iam Lukas Mandingo, just the friendly neighborhood gnome~

lvl 40's-
Lukas Mandingo
Undead Lord
Caldor Bet'e'line
Lefur Nufgenk
and the latest and greatest...~The Black knight~
BaskingDemon
Count
Count

Re: Pickpocketing gone mad!?

Post by BaskingDemon »

Lukas_Mandingo wrote:ok so this is what happened...i was leveling in the portal room and when i finish there is a shadow dancer giving me a pair of dragon boots! so i take them and praise the lord that someone is giving a pair of dragon slippers to me because i already i have a pair. then after that happens i look into my inventory and find that where i had my boots in my magic bag was gone and they are now somewhere else....THAT GUY STOLE MY DRAGON SLIPPERS!
lol

And it diddn't strike you as somewhat peculiar that a stranger comes out of nowhere and hands you a pair of slippers?

:wink:
BaskingDemon
Count
Count

Post by BaskingDemon »

viobane wrote:Good luck. There's supposed to be a script that prevents forgestones from being PPKed, but it doesn't always fire. There are rules that thieves are supposed to follow, and are supposed to return items that are forged and such, but there's little policing on this.

If I had my way PPKing would be completely turned off. It creates too many hard feelings, and those who use it tend to abuse it, some even in the name of RP, which is a pretty poor excuse for ruining someone's quality of play.
LOL

:roll:
BaskingDemon
Count
Count

Post by BaskingDemon »

Queen Naga II wrote:Actually the thief has done the right thing in giving you the slippers back.
lol

No the thief did the stupid thing. What is the purpose in spending precious time trying to thieve from people if you are only going to give back the most precious loot??

Wouldn't have seen me for dust

:twisted:
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

BaskingDemon wrote:
Queen Naga II wrote:Actually the thief has done the right thing in giving you the slippers back.
lol

No the thief did the stupid thing. What is the purpose in spending precious time trying to thieve from people if you are only going to give back the most precious loot??

Point and game for my thought on the usefulness of PPKing above.
Caesius
Duke
Duke

Post by Caesius »

I believe that ransoming a "finder's fee" in exchange for the safe return of the valuable item is an acceptable compromise. The pickpocket can still make a profit and the victim gets his hard earned forged gear back.
The only constant is change.
BaskingDemon
Count
Count

Post by BaskingDemon »

viobane wrote:
BaskingDemon wrote:
lol

You just want a sterile game world where there are no wrongdoers.

I prefer my game world to have a bit more bite.

Game set match.
The rules are.. THERE AIN'T NO RULES
BaskingDemon
Count
Count

Post by BaskingDemon »

Caesius wrote:I believe that ransoming a "finder's fee" in exchange for the safe return of the valuable item is an acceptable compromise. The pickpocket can still make a profit and the victim gets his hard earned forged gear back.
Great idea, would give rise to some excellent roleplay opportunities
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Not true. Strife and wrongdoing can be accomplished in ways outside of pickpocketing and killing. It just takes more imagination and time to do so. Why have options for wanton slaughter and character griefing when it is not adequately policed and taken advantage of by players who know how to do so? That's not a game world, that's a open world for jerks to be jerks and be unfeeling toward others.
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

viobane wrote:
BaskingDemon wrote:
lol

Ditto for me on that Vio ... even if the thief is killed by an Akon stone his accomplice will rez's him and he disappears with the loot anyway. People killed by Akon's stone should go straight to jail then let a DM sort out what he stole and return it. Technically all his goods should be forfeit to the person he PP'kd. Make's PPking very dangerous ...
BaskingDemon
Count
Count

Post by BaskingDemon »

Capt Cliff wrote:
viobane wrote:
BaskingDemon wrote: lol

Ditto for me on that Vio ... even if the thief is killed by an Akon stone his accomplice will rez's him and he disappears with the loot anyway. People killed by Akon's stone should go straight to jail then let a DM sort out what he stole and return it. Technically all his goods should be forfeit to the person he PP'kd. Make's PPking very dangerous ...
Don't be utterly ridiculous. Have you ever tried going out and pp'ing? I'll tell you, it's already a high risk low reward endeavour as it is.

You should be thrown in jail and have all your goods forfeited for making such an ill suggestion.
Cybermagi
Count
Count

Post by Cybermagi »

Speaking as a player with characters, which from time to time have "liberated" an item or two.
Pick Pocket should really only work with small items that are easy to hide.
Boots and such are definitely not small enough to PP.
I would have given them back also.
Anything more than 3 gold pieces in weight should be PP=False
IMHO.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

///Mod On Acquire Event
void main()

{

object oItem =GetModuleItemAcquired();

if (

GetBaseItemType(oItem)==BASE_ITEM_ARMOR||

GetBaseItemType(oItem)==BASE_ITEM_BASTARDSWORD||

GetBaseItemType(oItem)==BASE_ITEM_BATTLEAXE||

GetBaseItemType(oItem)==BASE_ITEM_BOOTS||

GetBaseItemType(oItem)==BASE_ITEM_DIREMACE||

GetBaseItemType(oItem)==BASE_ITEM_DOUBLEAXE||

GetBaseItemType(oItem)==BASE_ITEM_DWARVENWARAXE||

GetBaseItemType(oItem)==BASE_ITEM_GREATAXE||

GetBaseItemType(oItem)==BASE_ITEM_GREATSWORD||

GetBaseItemType(oItem)==BASE_ITEM_HALBERD||

GetBaseItemType(oItem)==BASE_ITEM_HEAVYCROSSBOW||

GetBaseItemType(oItem)==BASE_ITEM_HEAVYFLAIL||

GetBaseItemType(oItem)==BASE_ITEM_HELMET||

GetBaseItemType(oItem)==BASE_ITEM_KATANA||

GetBaseItemType(oItem)==BASE_ITEM_LARGESHIELD||

GetBaseItemType(oItem)==BASE_ITEM_LIGHTCROSSBOW||

GetBaseItemType(oItem)==BASE_ITEM_LONGBOW||

GetBaseItemType(oItem)==BASE_ITEM_LONGSWORD||

GetBaseItemType(oItem)==BASE_ITEM_MAGICSTAFF||

GetBaseItemType(oItem)==BASE_ITEM_QUARTERSTAFF||

GetBaseItemType(oItem)==BASE_ITEM_RAPIER||

GetBaseItemType(oItem)==BASE_ITEM_SCYTHE||

GetBaseItemType(oItem)==BASE_ITEM_SHORTBOW||

GetBaseItemType(oItem)==BASE_ITEM_SMALLSHIELD||

GetBaseItemType(oItem)==BASE_ITEM_TOWERSHIELD||

GetBaseItemType(oItem)==BASE_ITEM_TWOBLADEDSWORD||

GetBaseItemType(oItem)==BASE_ITEM_WARHAMMER||

GetWeight(oItem) * 10 >= 3 ||

GetTag (oItem) == "forgie_tags_here"
//Repeat as needed

)

{

SetPickpocketableFlag(oItem, FALSE);

}

}

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could be adapted to run on Client Enter to scan inventory to fix items currently in players possession.

I'm sure driller has a better script.. but hey..maybe he doesn't. :P

ttfn