Socket gems were are they ?

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

Waaah... Someone has one and I want one too! Where is MY share!
ST_DM_Myle wrote:The Forge, Forge Stones, Socket Gems & Their Properties

Please do not post seeking, or post any listing of, forge stones and their properties.

This information is strickly meant to be discovered IN GAME. The reasons for this are many and include:

Driller's desire that this information be learned through experimentation and effort.
To encourage dialogue in game either IC between characters or even OOC between players. Either is fine, so long as the information is shared "word of mouth".
The properties of the Forge and the Forge Stones is not necessarily set. The effects of using the Forge in general may change and the effects of using any or all of the Forge Stones may change.

There is no guarantee attached to the use of the Forge or the Stones themselves. The results can and may be changed or vanish completely for no reason with no explaniation. The only absolute fact about the Forge is that the magics used are unstable.

Forge Stones and Socket Gems are supplied as features, within the world of Blackstone, to provide variety and offer players an oppurtunity to craft original items. As mentioned above, the results of use of these features is not guaranteed. The availability of these these items is based on a random loot generator and this server in no way promises any specific rate of receiving any forges or sockets in a loot drop.

The forge stones and socket gems are meant to be uncommon and/or rare. Play on the server does not equate to intitlement to receive any forge stones or socket gems.

The server management will not mandate cost controls on those who have a forge stone when they offer one for trade or sale. Barter or sale of these items and all items is left to the supply and demand of the servers player economy.

|
|
|________________________________Return to Table of Contents
|________________________________Return to Basics mini-table
To clarify the point: The forge stones and socket gems are meant to be uncommon and/or rare. Play on the server does not equate to intitlement to receive any forge stones or socket gems.

Myle
Artist? Writer? Musician?
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
http://www.myspace.com/st_dm_myle
Fenrip
Duke
Duke

Post by Fenrip »

halfogre0520 wrote: I mean really, a million gold for a cobalt? Give me a friggin break.
That's just robbery. Problem in the economy now is that those with the stones are about the only ones able to afford them.
My memory used to be better. Also, my memory used to be better.
Queen Naga II
Duke
Duke

Post by Queen Naga II »

DM Myle....

That above post was totally unnecessary here, no one has been talking about properties of either forge stones or socket gems/runes.

It is also very convenient of you to copy and paste the content of that part of the guidlines section after you edited the original today. Then to add it here like it has always been the case which it has not.

Particularly as the original is now approaching a year old, which is long before the change in the scripts that have created the reason why I posted this thread.

I find your posted comments even more childish than you portray the other posters and myself to be here. No one has said they want their share all they have done is express their luck or otherwise.

Please get it into your locked mind that there has been a change, not in the chances of getting the drop but the way the script is now it reduces the incidences of the drops of sockets gems/runes.

The fact of the matter is socket gems/runes are now becoming too rare so rare that a AA having gone to the considerable expense of making The Cube can not make use of its function.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

The *real* problem (as I see it) has less to do with the rarity of forge stones, but more to do with the proliferation of them.

When RP comes down to people showing off their uber skills and their mightily overforged items, there's something lacking in the overall quality of the environment. If they were indeed truly rare, then you'd be lucky to find one or two during an *normal* character levelling process to level 40.

As it stands, there are people who have been on the server for years, amassing MANY MANY stones, and have such overforged gear they are for all intents and purposes invincible.

Monsters are increased in difficulty so that they aren't killed by anything less than uber gear, and people vie for such power and items that allow them to progress. It turns everything into a mass action packed romp that makes playing a personality an character via RP difficult at best without controlled conditions or isolated individual RP.
ValentianNizzle
Duke
Duke

Post by ValentianNizzle »

Fenrip wrote:
halfogre0520 wrote: I mean really, a million gold for a cobalt? Give me a friggin break.
That's just robbery. Problem in the economy now is that those with the stones are about the only ones able to afford them.
You say that like it's a bad thing.
halfogre0520
Baron
Baron

Post by halfogre0520 »

OFF TOPIC: Personally I find "DM" Myle's posting to be childish and un-DM like. If he indeed changed the wording of the original guideline then even more so it is uncalled for. Even if you don't get paid to do your job you should at least take it seriously. I've suggested sacking DMs for less. Thank the Gods I'm not a DM on this server if these are the kinds of people Driller has to deal with.

ON TOPIC: Apparently socket gems are not considered rare according to the proliferation and readily available socket weapon situation. If there's a store where you can buy socket weapons, there should be a store where you can buy socket gems and runes. Otherwise, take away the store where you can buy the socket weapons and armor. That's like having gun stores where you can't buy the ammo for the weapons.

Along those lines, since Driller seems to think people are not playing their characters right and the rarity of socket stones has risen, he should make socketted weapons and armor drops only as well. If you're going to make it harder to find the batteries, make it harder to find the toys.
BSK User: Douglas Thurman
Character: Regulus Hinder, Cleric of Kazra
Character: Test Subject One - Fighter, Level 6
"The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory."
- Paul Fix
Thanatos
Duke
Duke

Post by Thanatos »

GoVols wrote:
Thanatos wrote:I've been picking up sockets and forgies every day. I usually net at least 1 forgie in a few hours of play, plus a socket or two to boot.
That's with how many luck stones?
I have yet to find a luck stone.
Fact: Ninjas are mammals
Fact: Ninjas fight ALL the time
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Some people do rush their characters to 40 and complain about the lack of drops. Not everyone, but I figured most people could get the gist of what I was saying.

Good loot will not drop if you are significantly higher level then what you are killing. I have addressed this many times. A level 40 cannot go kill cows and get stones anymore.

This was pretty rampant before.

You have to fight stuff closer to your own level.

-driller
halfogre0520 wrote:OFF TOPIC: Personally I find "DM" Myle's posting to be childish and un-DM like. If he indeed changed the wording of the original guideline then even more so it is uncalled for. Even if you don't get paid to do your job you should at least take it seriously. I've suggested sacking DMs for less. Thank the Gods I'm not a DM on this server if these are the kinds of people Driller has to deal with.

ON TOPIC: Apparently socket gems are not considered rare according to the proliferation and readily available socket weapon situation. If there's a store where you can buy socket weapons, there should be a store where you can buy socket gems and runes. Otherwise, take away the store where you can buy the socket weapons and armor. That's like having gun stores where you can't buy the ammo for the weapons.

Along those lines, since Driller seems to think people are not playing their characters right and the rarity of socket stones has risen, he should make socketted weapons and armor drops only as well. If you're going to make it harder to find the batteries, make it harder to find the toys.
halfogre0520
Baron
Baron

Post by halfogre0520 »

driller wrote:Some people do rush their characters to 40 and complain about the lack of drops. Not everyone, but I figured most people could get the gist of what I was saying.

Good loot will not drop if you are significantly higher level then what you are killing. I have addressed this many times. A level 40 cannot go kill cows and get stones anymore.

This was pretty rampant before.

You have to fight stuff closer to your own level.

-driller
halfogre0520 wrote:OFF TOPIC: Personally I find "DM" Myle's posting to be childish and un-DM like. If he indeed changed the wording of the original guideline then even more so it is uncalled for. Even if you don't get paid to do your job you should at least take it seriously. I've suggested sacking DMs for less. Thank the Gods I'm not a DM on this server if these are the kinds of people Driller has to deal with.

So if this is true, then by fighting things higher level than you are should make drops more frequent...or better? I am going to test this over the next few weeks with three different characters. I shall post my results and how/why I chose to do it the way I have.
BSK User: Douglas Thurman
Character: Regulus Hinder, Cleric of Kazra
Character: Test Subject One - Fighter, Level 6
"The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory."
- Paul Fix
Ipsissimossity
Baron
Baron

Post by Ipsissimossity »

halfogre0520 wrote: That's like having gun stores where you can't buy the ammo for the weapons.
Just off the top of my head; we could use a system that has been put to use on many other servers, where you mine the socket gems. You'd need to start at the lowest level as a miner, only being able to mine a single type of socket gem, and of course, only succeeding a few times, maybe even then, producing the raw material to create it, making it so that you need further work to be able to craft this 'ore' into an actual socket gem. Then, as you continue improving your mining 'skill', you're able to go up a notch, ore-wise. But of course, the small problem is, the ore is placed in an area that makes it difficult for you, at your level - particularly then taken into consideration the quality of the socket gem - because there are monsters lurking around ! :O ... Etc.

I've seen this done a few times, and it has actually done a lot to improve the entire server quality. As of today, the socket gems aren't exactly _all that_ anyway, so I suppose we should consider making 'ammunition' available, as well.
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

There was nothing convienent about my post or the change to the rules.

The update to the rules was effected ON PURPOSE. If I had wanted to abscure the edit date, that is rather easy. Just because you do not like the update or the fact that your not intitled, that does not mean that I am enguaged in some conspiracy.

The people who need to grow up are the ones who can not seem to play the game without a box of tissues beside their monitor.

The fact of the matter is that the blubbering and complaining about the same things, that are NOT going to change to suit player whims, every few months (sometimes every few weeks) is old and rediculous.

If you think the loot... for sockets, forges, shields, snotrags, whatever... has changed and you would like clarification: Post that.

"Hey Driller? I noticed the (insert item)'s are not turning up very often. I just thought I would ask if we had a drop rate changed or am I just unlucky?"

At this point Driller would/could respond with "yes", "no", " (insert qustion about specific details involving the question)"

Me oh my.... wouldn't that be nice. An actual conversation.

I guess a simple clarification request is not as satisfying as turning on the tears though.

And Naga... you may want to consider not jumping on every pointless complaint bandwagon that people post. You may find that if you step back and start to evaluate things from a slightly less self interest, you might post a few less entries that are based on flawed information and poorly considered points of view.

There is no locked mind on this issue. The matter is that those items are supposed to be rare and the drop rate changes (on everything) based on a variety of factors.

People crying bucket loads over not being able to use the Cube because they do not properly manage their supplies and burn though forges and/or sockets faster than they find them is NOT an automatic indication of a flaw with the loot. More than likely, it is an indication of a flaw in a players supply management.

Quit the bellyache'n, grow up yourselves and recognise the difference between complaining about how put apon you are over some misperceived short stick the server has handed you and approuch these kinds of matters without the tears of victimhood....

*Hugs-n-kisses for everybodies wittle boo boo's*

Myle
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

Up until right there, every post you have made seemed fairly well grounded in reality and displayed genuine interest in the enviroment you play in and the fun and comradery of the players.

You should seriously consider not taking the chance of coming to any conclusions based on the misconceptions of players who have no idea what they are talking about and who have an overly developed victim syndrome.
halfogre0520 wrote:ON TOPIC: Apparently socket gems are not considered rare according to the proliferation and readily available socket weapon situation. If there's a store where you can buy socket weapons, there should be a store where you can buy socket gems and runes. Otherwise, take away the store where you can buy the socket weapons and armor. That's like having gun stores where you can't buy the ammo for the weapons.

This sounds like a good idea, though Driller does not tend to alter her shops unless called for. Having too many "guns" and not enough "bullets" does not really create any problems that would necessitate changing a shop.

Myle
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

Ipsissimossity wrote:
halfogre0520 wrote: That's like having gun stores where you can't buy the ammo for the weapons.
Just off the top of my head; we could use a system that has been put to use on many other servers, where you mine the socket gems. You'd need to start at the lowest level as a miner, only being able to mine a single type of socket gem, and of course, only succeeding a few times, maybe even then, producing the raw material to create it, making it so that you need further work to be able to craft this 'ore' into an actual socket gem. Then, as you continue improving your mining 'skill', you're able to go up a notch, ore-wise. But of course, the small problem is, the ore is placed in an area that makes it difficult for you, at your level - particularly then taken into consideration the quality of the socket gem - because there are monsters lurking around ! :O ... Etc.

I've seen this done a few times, and it has actually done a lot to improve the entire server quality. As of today, the socket gems aren't exactly _all that_ anyway, so I suppose we should consider making 'ammunition' available, as well.
Also a potentually good idea, but it has flaws:
1- requires adding a mining script for the server. Mining scripts often add lag and we ready do not need any threat of more lag.
2- those with more time to mine would be those same people with more time to loot. the dynamic on the server really would not change much when it comes to these items.

Myle
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
dmcclain
Count
Count

Post by dmcclain »

I really didn't want to post here because of the wonderfully childish back and forths going on but Driller brought up something I had a question about. I would quote him but I can't get the cool green block thing to work...anyway...

I tried to have one of my evilish characters kill a cow the other day and couldn't, tried with another character and still couldn't. I wasn't sure we could kill cows anymore. (I know it doesn't look like a question, but it is) :D
"People in Icewater want Hell!"

~Harley Quinn, Batman Hush
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

Good question. I have no idea though.

As for the quote box thing, in the upper right of each post is a icon that says quote. If you press that, it will forward you to a reply window that includes the post you wanted to quote.

Feel free to delete parts of that quote that do not pertain, but please remember not to alter others words.

You can also copy paste and use the bracket commands to quote. For the purpose of display I will type out an example using "{}" instead of the proper " [ ] " brackets.

{quote="ST_DM_Myle"}
Grumble grumble gripe gripe
{/quote}

It is not hard, but does take some practice. It is good to use the PREVIEW icon before you finally select the SUBMIT icon. That way you can make sure your happy with the content of your post :)

Myle
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©