A day in the life of a DM...

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

A day in the life of a DM...

Post by driller »

I have deleted this. I shouldn't have posted it. I let my anger get the best of me. Your right Nizzle. I should turn the other cheek.

-driller
Last edited by driller on Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caesius
Duke
Duke

Post by Caesius »

The d20 Guide to Banging Your Head Into A Wall

For some of those more thankless days.... ;)
Last edited by Caesius on Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only constant is change.
ValentianNizzle
Duke
Duke

Re: A day in the life of a DM...

Post by ValentianNizzle »

driller wrote:I have deleted this. I shouldn't have posted it. I let my anger get the best of me. Your right Nizzle. I should turn the other cheek.

-driller
Who would've thought... Driller actually agreed with me on something.

Oh well, but to the topic: Glad to see you decided to take ze advice. It seemed rather an odd thing to do for one whom always is insisting on having these sort of things handled via PM/Email.
halfogre0520
Baron
Baron

Post by halfogre0520 »

Ah yes. I remember fondly my days as DM on a different server...

1. Login and find a nice unsuspecting party of players.

2. "Jump To" said players.

3. Watch players cycle through encounter after encounter with barely a word passing between them. Churning my stomach as well as the baddies.

4. Possess a high level monster and try to incite some RP by actually *gasp* speaking with the characters... and subsequently watching players kill the speaking monster with the party chat line "That wuz wierd!"

5. Sigh to myself and spawn a horde of nasties three levels lower than the players.

6. Watch with glee as they run around willy nilly and the party chat lights up with "WTF! Where did they come from?!" or "Lookout! FB! FB!" (FB = Fireball).

7. Then I get the lovely DM chat line of "Is that you Douglas?" And then laugh merrily.

8. Rinse and repeat.

Gods I loved my job. Hey Driller, got an opening?
BSK User: Douglas Thurman
Character: Regulus Hinder, Cleric of Kazra
Character: Test Subject One - Fighter, Level 6
"The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory."
- Paul Fix
temordae01
Baron
Baron

Post by temordae01 »

halfogre0520 wrote:Ah yes. I remember fondly my days as DM on a different server...

1. Login and find a nice unsuspecting party of players.

2. "Jump To" said players.

3. Watch players cycle through encounter after encounter with barely a word passing between them. Churning my stomach as well as the baddies.

4. Possess a high level monster and try to incite some RP by actually *gasp* speaking with the characters... and subsequently watching players kill the speaking monster with the party chat line "That wuz wierd!"

5. Sigh to myself and spawn a horde of nasties three levels lower than the players.

6. Watch with glee as they run around willy nilly and the party chat lights up with "WTF! Where did they come from?!" or "Lookout! FB! FB!" (FB = Fireball).

7. Then I get the lovely DM chat line of "Is that you Douglas?" And then laugh merrily.

8. Rinse and repeat.

Gods I loved my job. Hey Driller, got an opening?
Don't get me started on those hundred or so orcs you spawned on Radrithrade and Gavin you big meany! Of course we WERE RPing at the time and we just happened to have survived the encounter, albeit barely.

Good times...good times. :P

Oh Crap! Driller, DO NOT give this guy a DM stick, or wand, or ring, or whatever you guys use here! Hehe... No telling WHAT he'll throw at us.

*ducks head*
With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
- Steven Weinberg
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

Heh... Joker had a great line in the Batman movie Keaton did that would fit this perfectly. But I will leave it to you all to figure out.

Myle
Artist? Writer? Musician?
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
http://www.myspace.com/st_dm_myle
eclipse08
Duke
Duke

Post by eclipse08 »

Okay, I know this is not originally what the topic called for but I remember one incident where Douglas really pulled my character's strings.

I had a Sorcerer/Paladin of Mystra whom I RP'd as fallen from favor and had docked a bunch of XP and all his items except for a plain robe and a quarterstaff. RPing his sorrow and homeless status, he wandered the countryside and stumbled onto a small vllage where the citizens were being overrun by undead from a nearby cemetary.

Well, my Paladin told them all to wait in the back of the village while he ran up to deal with the undead. Normally this would have been run of the mill for a Paladin, but being practically naked and having to rely on a few spells, no Paladin abilities (I RP'd he had lost favor remember), and only a q-staff for smackdown, it was a pretty tense fight nonetheless. At the end of the fight, he heard the frightened cries of the villagers as some of the undead had actually wandered back to the NPCs. I'm sure Douglas had planned this as the slaughter of the NPCs was pretty much guaranteed. Well, he sent some pretty spectacular visual effects and booming voice and all to let me know Mystra had forgiven him and he was free to open up a can of Paladin whoopass on those undead. All the while, this combat and RP was being broadcast via shout to the server. In the end, he emerged battered and victorious, and the villagers were only beaten up a bit by the undead.

One of the more memorable experiences I've had.
halfogre0520
Baron
Baron

Post by halfogre0520 »

Alright, who let temordae and eclipse in here? :P

I remember that little incident. One of my more classic capers I believe. Thanks for that stroll down memory lane.
"The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory."
- Paul Fix
chbtartdat
Knight
Knight

Post by chbtartdat »

Pfft, Douglas earned that nickname "Master of Hordes" from me. 322 goblins, one city gate, one little old character. Mine. :P
Jazelle
Duke
Duke

Post by Jazelle »

Then there was the day I tried to crash my server and spawned around oh.... cough... 500 giant spiders and about 400 Starkson Golems.... it did not crash until I figured the players were killing them too slow so I used my wand of Hell ball about 20 times.... guess what the

Players crashed

but the server....

Still did not crash...

That was until the local power station decided to change its lines and the lights went out at the house for about 20 secs.

Wonder why?
The world is a strange place.
halfogre0520
Baron
Baron

Post by halfogre0520 »

Driller's got one helluva stable server if it survived that onslaught! That's like the old days where you made a move then went and had lunch to come back and move again. :D
- Paul Fix
halfogre0520
Baron
Baron

Post by halfogre0520 »

I remember on my other server we had avatars ready made so the DMs could possess a God's avatar and go wreak havok among the mortals. Well one day some newbie who had power levelled himself decided to challenge me in a God avatar. His character was spouting all kinds of 1337 nonsense. *SMITE* Then came the whining. So I rezzed him. *SMITE* The whining did not stop until three more smites... then he logged off. His friend was just standing there watching the whole thing. His last words to me before he too logged off were "dood! tht wuz awsm!"

LOL... :D
- Paul Fix
DM_Mystic
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM_Mystic »

I haven't met this Douglas Half-orge or whatever yet, but still, he has my vote as the next DM based on that above post.
halfogre0520
Baron
Baron

Post by halfogre0520 »

DM_Mystic wrote:I haven't met this Douglas Half-orge or whatever yet, but still, he has my vote as the next DM based on that above post.
Oooo...I accept. When do I start smiting...I mean start. Hehe.
- Paul Fix
halfogre0520
Baron
Baron

Post by halfogre0520 »

Caesius wrote:The d20 Guide to Banging Your Head Into A Wall

For some of those more thankless days.... ;)
Can I take weaponmaster with head butt so I can increase the multiplier for this effect? :D
- Paul Fix