A Paladin/Rogue?

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

ValentianNizzle
Duke
Duke

Post by ValentianNizzle »

Capt Cliff wrote:Isn't the Harper Scout suppose to be the way a paladin is suppose to go? Still seems a bit chaotic and a tad metagaming to make a paladin a rogue. But then why can't I have a Paladin/Bard? A sing paladin would be cool!
Cocaine is a helluva drug.
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

ValentianNizzle wrote:
Capt Cliff wrote:Isn't the Harper Scout suppose to be the way a paladin is suppose to go? Still seems a bit chaotic and a tad metagaming to make a paladin a rogue. But then why can't I have a Paladin/Bard? A sing paladin would be cool!
Wow! An intelligent reply ... how refreshing! Is misdirection your main career path or is it just a hobby ... like thinking is! :roll:
ValentianNizzle
Duke
Duke

Capt Cliff wrote:
ValentianNizzle wrote:
Wow! An intelligent reply ... how refreshing! Is misdirection your main career path or is it just a hobby ... like thinking is! :roll:
By the looks of your reply, I take it I'm a bad influence and that you can't take a joke.

Too bad for you! tahah

Topic: BSK tries to encompass every style of RP within it's respective realm with the rules that there are. A Paladin/Rogue is not illegal. End of story. And the Paladin / Bard situation is self explanatory as to why it isn't allowed. Live with it.
Gibbo
Duke
Duke

Post by Gibbo »

Some rogue guilds operate with strict lawful codes and orders. You can have a rogue with honor, and a creed to follow.

Most bard troupes don't have that sort of structure. The very nature of the bard class is chaotic, and more loosey goosey.

And if you want another reason.. Bards are like the opposite of a paladin, in my eyes. Bards have minor arcane spells and have a chaotic-only restriction with a focus in skills while the paladin has minor divine spells, a lawful-only restriction, and a focus in melee combat. Seems pretty balanced to me. If you want melee as a bard, take fighter levels. If you want higher skill bonuses and the ability to read arcane scolls as a paladin, take rogue levels.
ZOMFGOMBIES!
DM_Mystic
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM_Mystic »

What has always cracked me up is that you can play a Lawful Rog, but not a lawful Bard - What are they trying to say about us musicians?
Shadow_Nightfall
Baron
Baron
Location: In the shadows bare, watching as you shed a tear for me

Post by Shadow_Nightfall »

sorry about these dictionary quotes, but *shrugs* i could care less...
law·ful
1. allowed or permitted by law; not contrary to law: a lawful enterprise.
2. recognized or sanctioned by law; legitimate: a lawful marriage; a lawful heir.
3. appointed or recognized by law; legally qualified: a lawful king.
4. acting or living according to the law; law-abiding: a lawful man; a lawful community.

do you really think a lawful person would go around in stealth mode, spying on others or stabbing the enemy in the back? ~ My view of a lawful person is one who would call out to some jerk bandit rogue and let him know his doom, without any sneaking involved. They are lawful, so they have a sence of honor (evil, neutral, or good).
not all evil should be just chaotic, there needs to be boundaries... if you want a chaotic or neutral evil char, choose those alignments...
Gibbo wrote:Some rogue guilds operate with strict lawful codes and orders. You can have a rogue with honor, and a creed to follow.
really? I have not heard of them, you have? how is this guild faring? do these 'nice' thugs let you know before they take your gold? this goes back to that lawful evil monk rogue everyone was mad over... does he say, might I get a handful of gems from your pocket, please? dont resist, or i will be forced to defend myself! *snickers* pathetic, and it gives me a desire to go out and run something over...
<<The all powerful fire-breathing dragon!

warm winds, burning flame, a tear drops, I'll be the one to blame; summer themes, Amber Demonchild, burning coals, emotional moments halfway mild
Shadow_Nightfall
Baron
Baron

driller wrote:What if he was a rogue first then changed his colors? Surely he wouldn't forget all he learned beforehand?

-driller
and im sure that is the very same excuse *everyone* who plays them will use... disappointingly original *sarcastic*

warm winds, burning flame, a tear drops, I'll be the one to blame; summer themes, Amber Demonchild, burning coals, emotional moments halfway mild
ValentianNizzle
Duke
Duke

Shadow_Nightfall wrote:im sure that is the very same excuse *everyone* who plays them will use... disappointingly original *sarcastic*
If writers thought like that and didn't try to see it from a human perspective and try to be creative, we'd end up with some pretty lame books.

Just a thought.
eclipse08
Duke
Duke

Post by eclipse08 »

Here's what our lovely DM Myle has to say in his BSK Guidelines and Introductions.

"Mechanics: Build Restrictions

Just about anything you can imagine is acceptable when it comes to character build and class selection with one exception: Alignment Specific Classes.

Lawful based classes, such as:
Paladin
Monk
Dwarven Defender

Should never be mixed with Chaos based classes, such as:
Bard
Barbarian

We realize that NWN labels Bard and Barbarian requirements as any Non-lawful alignment. Semantics aside, the above classes should not be used in any combination regardless of RP, changes in alignment or any other conceived reason.

Should a player be found to posses such a restricted class build, the character may/will be deleted without warning and the DM may adjudicate an appropriate administrative action. "
eclipse08
Duke
Duke

Post by eclipse08 »

Seeing as how a Paladin is an alignment restricted class, and the Blackguard is an alignment restricted class, never the twain should meet. So, even though Myle's diatribe doesn't specifically mention Paladins and Blackguards, the rule should apply.
Gibbo
Duke
Duke

Post by Gibbo »

Shadow_Nightfall wrote: really? I have not heard of them, you have? how is this guild faring? do these 'nice' thugs let you know before they take your gold? this goes back to that lawful evil monk rogue everyone was mad over... does he say, might I get a handful of gems from your pocket, please? dont resist, or i will be forced to defend myself! *snickers* pathetic, and it gives me a desire to go out and run something over...
Since you seem particularly snide, closed minded, snappy, and overall smell like a rotten pickle, I've gone ahead and provided you with a real-life example of what I was talking about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thief_in_law

A fantasy... even a science fiction example would be the Ferengi. They live by a strict code of rules, however wouldn't bother with moral decisions outside those rules.
ZOMFGOMBIES!
Shadow_Nightfall
Baron
Baron

*sigh* my desire would be to bring the games more into reality, yet keeping the neccessary things in the game, such as magic. wikipedia, that isnt reality... nor are paladin rogues... but *shrugs* no one cares, and i still want to go run something over...

i may be close minded, but that smell, you realize, is in your own home...
:)

Thanatos
Duke
Duke

Post by Thanatos »

actually, that smell might have something to do with the large quantities of pickle juice I consumed this weekend to squash the massive hangovers I endured.
Fact: Ninjas are mammals
Fact: Ninjas fight ALL the time
ValentianNizzle
Duke
Duke

Thanatos wrote:actually, that smell might have something to do with the large quantities of pickle juice I consumed this weekend to squash the massive hangovers I endured.
Pickle Juice? You people are made out of something else, that's for sure.
Trudes
Count
Count

Post by Trudes »

How does that work then? :confused: Does the heartburn take your mind off the bad head or what? lol