A Paladin/Rogue?

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Doofy Britches
Duke
Duke

Post by Doofy Britches »

I don't really want to say a lot here.. BUT... to answer the thread topic.. Myle's posting should cover it.

Since Driller's made us a "home" where we are pretty doggone free to build up any character class combo..and play as we see fit.. we really shouldn't hammer each other for doing things that are within the context of the rules.

Those of us with a more RP focus to our playing... some class mixes will of course raise our eyebrows.. especially if we note weak RP behind the character.

That being said.. even with weak RP.. its still allowed. We all can name other servers we've played on where it most certainly wouldn't be though!

Bottom line.... BSK is a place, still, where you can do some whacky things and have some fun.. and if its a little "out there".... with some creative input/output on the RP side.. you can make a character that can be plausible and playable.. and accepted by the peer group with a little effort.

That makes BSK a pretty cool place.
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and to not sow discord. - Gary Gygax
Doofy Britches
Duke
Duke

Post by Doofy Britches »

*deleted*
Last edited by Doofy Britches on Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and to not sow discord. - Gary Gygax
DM_Mystic
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM_Mystic »

Here's a case in point (admittedly not a great one) of the Pally/BG scenario: Darth Vader.

Started out as a Jedi knight Aniken (sp) Skywalker, comparative to a Pally - then joined the Dark Side and became Darth Vader, comparative to a Blackguard, then at the end of his life, found the good again, and might have become a Pally again if he'd lived long enough.

Feel free to experiment with character dynamics - what they are today doesn't necessarily dictate who they are tomorrow.

Sometimes, unfortunatley, people choose their classes based on the 'perks' they can realize from them, but that is not disallowed, so it is what it is.
Shadow_Nightfall
Baron
Baron
Location: In the shadows bare, watching as you shed a tear for me

Post by Shadow_Nightfall »

DM_Mystic wrote:Here's a case in point (admittedly not a great one) of the Pally/BG scenario: Darth Vader.
lol. I bet I know an even better example :)

Aribeth de Tylmarande im sure it is the best example out there :)
<<The all powerful fire-breathing dragon!

warm winds, burning flame, a tear drops, I'll be the one to blame; summer themes, Amber Demonchild, burning coals, emotional moments halfway mild
eclipse08
Duke
Duke

Post by eclipse08 »

Hokay fine. Let's just say that someone DOES come up with a Pally/Blackguard for all the wrong reasons. Should it be illegal the sme as if there were a 45 page backstory on why the character developed that way? Well, maybe. I dunno. I'm a big fan of RP, and backstory... although you wouldn't know it from Murken. I just tried making him as my first spellcaster and he seemed to work great so I just conveniently forgot to write a backstory. Uh...where was I? Oh yeah. So to my mind, if the person's character description for this so-called Pally/BG was the standard thing (I'm going hypocrit here for a moment but bear with me), I'd say they were out for the "perks" and not the RP. Darnit I had a point here.

So...maybe those odd class combos should be regulated by the DMs the same way those special races are?
Pretty Fly White Guy
Duke
Duke

Post by Pretty Fly White Guy »

Darth Vader should had lost his paladin levels and become a fighter/BG according to 3rd edition rules.
Caesius
Duke
Duke

Post by Caesius »

Pretty Fly White Guy wrote:Darth Vader should had lost his paladin levels and become a fighter/BG according to 3rd edition rules.
According to d20 Star Wars rules, as of Episode IV, Darth Vader's build was Fringer 1/Jedi Guardian 11/Sith Lord 6.
The only constant is change.
Whitewolf
Baron
Baron

Post by Whitewolf »

well,

It seems silly to me, that BSK even has the build rules on barbarian and bard vs. lawful classes.

why have this rule if you can have a pick pocketing blackgaurd palidin?

if this was A full RP server, yes I would understand rules, but that would have to expand to cover all 'uneccepted builds'

since we are RP lite, Why even bother wth this chaos-law rule?
“Even though my life is eternal, my patience is not.â€
DM_Mystic
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM_Mystic »

Well again, BSK has no restirctions on class builds other than those imposed by NWN. There are ways within BSK to change your alignment horizontally (Good - Neut - Evil), but not vertically (Law - Neut 0 Unlaw). And we as DM's will not make those adjustments manually.

And yes, some people take certain classes just for the benefits - I doubt half the peeps playing RDD or PM have the slightest idea what one is supposed to be, but the spirit of BSK allows for that. We're not about to go around interrogating chars to see if their backstory matches their char - it's just not the BSK way.

But on the other hand, I've seen many examples of alignment changes and above mentioned prestige classes played brilliantly. So my bottom line is to not get hung up on peoples class ot alignment choices, but to point out when they are played well. Each of us is left to choose how we react or not react.
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

There is no rule that forbids a Paladin from learning to tumble.

There is no rule that forbids a Paladin from learning to pick locks if smashing down a door in the name of justice is not possible.

There is no rule that forbis a Paladin from knowing how to place alignment appropriate traps (IE noisemakers, tripwires) around his camp as he sleeps.

There is no rule that forbids a Paladin from developing the dexterity to snatch items out of the hands or pockets of those accused of wrongdoing.

There is no rules that forbids a paladins from carefully advancing on a foe from a hidden vantage to see if they can overhear the evil plan.

Being a honorable, charitable, valourous and chivilerous person who vlaues the ethics of law and the morals of good is not a sentance mandating that a Paladin be played as a clumsy, noisy oaf.

Myle
Artist? Writer? Musician?
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
http://www.myspace.com/st_dm_myle
Pretty Fly White Guy
Duke
Duke

Post by Pretty Fly White Guy »

Caesius wrote:
Pretty Fly White Guy wrote:Darth Vader should had lost his paladin levels and become a fighter/BG according to 3rd edition rules.
According to d20 Star Wars rules, as of Episode IV, Darth Vader's build was Fringer 1/Jedi Guardian 11/Sith Lord 6.
Bah, got me.

Never read the d20 SW rulebook. Reminds me of the PRC too much, eh? :)

But i agree with Myle, though it pains me to do so. Rogue =/= Evil.

Paladin/BGs, however, should not be created. Fighter/BG is the correct version.

And i refer to the NWN OCs (pertaining to the Lady Aribeth comment) as much as i do the NWN Manual. Read whatever it says, and assume that it's obviously wrong, and that the game works in a completely different way.
halfogre0520
Baron
Baron

Post by halfogre0520 »

Whoa, so a Paladin Blackguard is okay with the DMs? COOL! *makes plans*
BSK User: Douglas Thurman
Character: Regulus Hinder, Cleric of Kazra
Character: Test Subject One - Fighter, Level 6
"The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory."
- Paul Fix
DM_Mystic
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM_Mystic »

now a Pally/PM wold ahve some explaining to do, but I'm pretty sure I've seen that too...