A Paladin/Rogue?

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

A Paladin/Rogue?

Post by Capt Cliff »

Is a paladin/rogue sort of bending the rules a bit? Seems to me a paladin would never learn the skills required to become a rogue. Or am I confusing thief with rogue, but still it's a bit weird. "Sargent of arms ... point of order!"
ValentianNizzle
Duke
Duke

Post by ValentianNizzle »

Nope, go for it sport.

It's only bending the rules if you throw some BG in the mix as well.
Lunatic-High
Baron
Baron

Post by Lunatic-High »

A little weird, yes, but I don't see anything wrong with it. A rogue doesn't have to be a pickpocketing thief, he can just as well be a sneaky scout or an investigator, both useful traits even to paladins. :)
Shadow_Nightfall
Baron
Baron
Location: In the shadows bare, watching as you shed a tear for me

Post by Shadow_Nightfall »

according to dictionary.com...
rogue - noun, verb, rogued, ro·guing, adjective
–noun 1. a dishonest, knavish person; scoundrel.
2. a playfully mischievous person; scamp: The youngest boys are little rogues.
3. a tramp or vagabond.
4. a rogue elephant or other animal of similar disposition.
5. Biology. a usually inferior organism, esp. a plant, varying markedly from the normal.
–verb (used without object) 6. to live or act as a rogue.
–verb (used with object) 7. to cheat.
8. to uproot or destroy (plants, etc., that do not conform to a desired standard).
9. to perform this operation upon: to rogue a field.
–adjective 10. (of an animal) having an abnormally savage or unpredictable disposition, as a rogue elephant.
11. no longer obedient, belonging, or accepted and hence not controllable or answerable; deviating, renegade: a rogue cop; a rogue union local.

so a paladin rogue should NEVER be, but not in the game dynamics of Neverwinter Nights... like I said, it should NEVER be...
<<The all powerful fire-breathing dragon!

warm winds, burning flame, a tear drops, I'll be the one to blame; summer themes, Amber Demonchild, burning coals, emotional moments halfway mild
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

What if he was a rogue first then changed his colors? Surely he wouldn't forget all he learned beforehand?

-driller
Shadow_Nightfall wrote:according to dictionary.com...
3. a tramp or vagabond.
5. Biology. a usually inferior organism, esp. a plant, varying markedly from the normal.
8. to uproot or destroy (plants, etc., that do not conform to a desired standard).
–adjective 10. (of an animal) having an abnormally savage or unpredictable disposition, as a rogue elephant.
11. no longer obedient, belonging, or accepted and hence not controllable or answerable; deviating, renegade: a rogue cop; a rogue union local.

so a paladin rogue should NEVER be, but not in the game dynamics of Neverwinter Nights... like I said, it should NEVER be...
ValentianNizzle
Duke
Duke

driller wrote:What if he was a rogue first then changed his colors? Surely he wouldn't forget all he learned beforehand?

-driller
Shadow_Nightfall wrote:according to dictionary.com...
3. a tramp or vagabond.

Driller's got it on lock, son. Holla at ya boy.
Some fellow
Knight
Knight

Post by Some fellow »

Shadow_Nightfall wrote:3. a tramp or vagabond.
Surely a paladin can be a vagabond? On the other hand, I think the dictionary definition of "rogue" has little bearing here. What's more important is what the NWN manual says:
BioWare wrote:While some - maybe even the majority - are stealthy thieves, many serve as scouts, spies, investigators, diplomats, and simple thugs.
Now, for a Paladin/Assassin, while possible with alignment shifts available in BSK, that's a monstrocity, just like Paladin/Blackguard.
chbtartdat
Knight
Knight

Post by chbtartdat »

There was some character on the other day, a Cara Swift I think that had Paladin/Blackguard. I'm QUITE sure that was not allowed but I didn't say anything since there were no DMs on.
ValentianNizzle
Duke
Duke

chbtartdat wrote:There was some character on the other day, a Cara Swift I think that had Paladin/Blackguard. I'm QUITE sure that was not allowed but I didn't say anything since there were no DMs on.

I couldn't help it.
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

driller wrote:What if he was a rogue first then changed his colors? Surely he wouldn't forget all he learned beforehand?

-driller
Hmmm like the Crusaders that sacks Constantinople? Were they paladins after the deed? Seems to me you could not use any thing you learned as a rogue at all. You should forefit that level of experience or you can NOT be a paladin. Their god would smite them!! Like being half pregnant. Or the U.S. army letting in criminals, DOH ... they are doing that now. The French Foreign Legion, not paladins but someone you want on your side and on your flank!
Berforam
Count
Count

Post by Berforam »

well... my paladin is a rg.. but its all RPed.. just like driller said.. he WAS a rg, then he changed..

I have 3 berforam chars...
1-the first was a rg and then master lin found him and started to train him and teach him to "be a better person" cuz he saw a good heart and potential behind the rogue.
2- second developed him as a vorite
3- got trained by a celestial as a paladin and now he is a rogue paladin.

simple isnt it ?
eclipse08
Duke
Duke

Post by eclipse08 »

ValentianNizzle wrote:
chbtartdat wrote:There was some character on the other day, a Cara Swift I think that had Paladin/Blackguard. I'm QUITE sure that was not allowed but I didn't say anything since there were no DMs on.

I couldn't help it.
Yeah, I saw that character on and told the player it was illegal. Haven't seen her on since. YAY! I frightened away a perfectly good player! :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :P
Caesius
Duke
Duke

Post by Caesius »

I think it's possible for paladins with a penchant for investigation to learn the tricks of the rogue's trade without compromising their code. I also think it's possible for rogues to embark on the path of the paladin by embracing that same code.

It's not so much about what abilities they have. It's all about how they use those abilities.

As for Paladin/Blackguard, I don't recall seeing any explicit prohibition against this combination. But it is often frowned upon unless there is a well constructed role playing framework to justify it. It's just Lawful/Non-Lawful alignment restricted classes that can't be mixed currently.
The only constant is change.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

BSK isn't a strict RP server, so you can build the character you want.
That is without DM intervention, like lawful changes.

RP is just imagination, so it is easy to make up a reason for you character existence anyways.

-driller
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

Isn't the Harper Scout suppose to be the way a paladin is suppose to go? Still seems a bit chaotic and a tad metagaming to make a paladin a rogue. But then why can't I have a Paladin/Bard? A sing paladin would be cool!