Problems, and escaping from them

Use this forum for In Character Interactions only.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Some fellow
Knight
Knight

Problems, and escaping from them

Post by Some fellow »

The day was bright as Zhen Darksteel left the Keep to explore a nearby shrine in the company of Vicala Caéran, a woman who is quite well-known here. Her friend had advised against this journey on the grounds that she was perhaps not in her best shape on this particular day. Zhen was a little concerned of course, seeing how she dropped her sword and laughed when she picked it up, not seeming quite sure how to hold it. But still, he was dealing with a woman who had proven to be most reliable and capable in battle, and surely they were not expecting any dangers on their way there and back. They both felt far above this simple task. What harm could a little alcohol do, then?

The problems, however, began already as they were traveling the short distance from the gates to the shrine entrance. Vicala seemed to ever forget where they were heading and why. When at last they arrived, she fumbled for a full half-hour with her bags to find the letter in which the secret password was given to her, and when she finally found it, she couldn't pronounce the whole one-syllable word correctly in one breath, so the damned thing would not open. Zhen came to her rescue in this matter, of course.

It would turn out that on this day, he was about to come to the rescue of this highly experienced adventurer more than once. It was a sad sight, as she stumbled into the first chamber and, in the shock of finding a giant spider there, once again dropped her sword to the floor. It was an even sadder sight when she tripped over the threshold into the next chamber and fell prone, lying there until he helped her up.

Between the spiders dropping from the ceiling and Vicala accidentally summoning a fearsome demon -- which, admittedly, she did kill astonishingly quickly, in a move reminding Zhen of what he had seen her true, unintoxicated self perform in the Underdark -- travel through this dark place was slow, to say the least. He didn't lose his temper though, not even when she broke his lock-picking concentration by actually sitting herself down on the chest he was trying to open. He then told her to get the contents of the chest, and she claimed that she had found only a white piece of paper, although he later feared that her condition simply had made it impossible for her to read, or she was possibly looking on the backside. He became afraid that he may have given away something really valuable and that she might have thrown it away.

After all this, that seemed like an eternity, they finally had passed through the entire thing, and this is truly the most disturbing part. As Zhen rushed into that last chamber, he was suddenly struck by a revelation. He had seen this place before. He had fought all this lowly vermin once before, a long time ago. Thinking about it, he realized why he had forgotten about that. Of course. He had been drunk. He scribbled down his thoughts about this on a little note that later was posted on the public cork board in Blackstone Keep:
I imagine that before my female companion realizes the perils of this liquid pastime, she must one day travel down there a second time only to face the same revelation as I did. And what do you think our enemies will do in that extra time? Sit idly by? No, our enemies will make even more money, and prey even more upon the poor adventurers, without the day of salvation drawing a minute closer.

Is it worth it?
Last edited by Some fellow on Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lunatic-High
Baron
Baron

Post by Lunatic-High »

Slowly her consciousness found its way to the waking state, and the dreamless sleep scattered. As if a warm blanket had been lifted from her she began shivering with cold, and a throbbing headache made itself noticed. When she opened her eyes she found herself lying on the wooden floor next to a rickety bed, on which Zhen sat and hummed to himself.

"If you want, you can make a little more noise," she said bitterly and managed to sit up and lean back against the side of the bed.

"I'm thinking you shouldn't drink so much in the future," Zhen replied and grinned cunningly. "You've been getting drunk every day for a week now."

She didn't bother to answer him, but got to her feet and reached for the cloak hanging over the back of a chair. She wrapped it around her shoulders and with deft fingers she pulled the hood up and down over her face, as if she sought sanctuary in the shadow under the black cloth. She sighed.

"So what are you going to do now, with this whole... strange business?" he asked and polished his scimitar that now rested on his lap.

"What difference does it make," she muttered.

"Well we have to do something, don't we?"

Vicala bit her lower lip and placed her hand on her forehead, desperately trying to repress the headache.

"There is no solution to this problem, I have no idea what to do next. There are several paths I could take, but they all lead to my own suffering. I refuse to believe there is nothing else in my life, I need something, or someone, to give it a meaning."

"You need a meaning? You mean, you need him?" he asked and tilted his head as he gave her an amused look.

"Yeah," she continued and turned to face the door, resting her forehead against it. "But I've realized it won't happen, and... in my despair, I've fallen for the temptations on the other side."

"What? Death?!" he exclaimed and his eyes widened. "Are you dying?"

"Not that side," she answered patiently and pulled out a small dagger that had been sheathed in her belt. She moved the edge over the tip of her finger and slowly pressed the sharp blade against the skin, until a lonely drop of blood appeared on the surface. Thereupon she turned to Zhen who dangled his short legs from the bed with a perplex expression. "This side."

He frowned. "And what side is that?"

"Mother's side," she replied quietly as the drop of blood fell to the floor, where it disappeared into the dried wood. "I lack the only thing that could prevent me from listening to the faint whispers at night, the whispering makes me turn to the other side, and I feel good about it. It scares me."

"Right," he said and nodded agreeingly. "What exactly is it that you're lacking?"

"Hope. Deep down inside I knew he never wanted to linger in my heart, but... when he actually said it, when he told me he didn't want to be loved by me... my hope died. And now, when I can't even be near him, when I don't even know where he is or who he's with... I don't know when or if he's ever coming back, and if he does, it won't be for my sake, so... what's left? What's holding me back?" Vicala reached for the door handle.

"But hope is the last thing to die," Zhen objected and waved his arm toward her.

"Yeah," she said and her black eyes flickered before she turned around and left.
Some fellow
Knight
Knight

Post by Some fellow »

Unseen by all, he picked the lock with a quick and dexterous hand movement. He looked around him and quietly opened the door. Her words echoed in his mind: "Why do I care?" They could just as well apply to him, he thought, while he entered yet a deserted house. A bed, an armoire, nothing more. He sighed and went back out on the street.

Of course, he knew the answer. He needed her, he needed her sword. He had come to this place with a mission, and he would not be able to fulfill it alone. He needed assistance, and not everyone would be of such assistance in a matter such as this one; and of those who would, most simply were not skilled enough. She would be the perfect ally.

Still, she would not be of much help if he couldn't find her. The next lock broke open, the next house was carefully entered. Empty. He began wondering if the townspeople were never home. Mindlessly he disarmed the trap of a chest placed strangely in the kitchen, and while delving through its contents he thought that maybe he needed to go about this in a different manner.

Where would such a being hide? She had said that she would lock herself up for a while because she didn't trust herself. It was very complex, her family. First there was the drinking, which she had clearly got from her father. And now this, her mother's legacy, came on top of it all. He spotted another locked door, and opened it. While he entered that room, his thoughts about this strange place, with its very living stories of tieflings and liches, distracted him from his stealth. After all, the other houses had been empty.

Not this one. A ferocious guard dog sprung up and attacked him, and he instantly replied by drawing his blade and knocking it to the ground. The animal was dead before it knew what had hit it. With a sad expression that he only ever showed to himself, Zhen looked at the bloodstains on his new, until recently shining blade. He felt an urge to clean this up immediately: he had never liked slayings that were not part of his masterplan, or that of his superiors.

"This won't do," he thought to himself. "I really can't search through every place in this town. And she might not even still be in town." He probably needed help finding her. But whom should he ask? He knew very few people here. Of course, he could try to find him and ask him for help, but he didn't know where to find him, or if he was himself at the moment. If not, he would need help with that, too. A wizard's help, perhaps, and he knew no wizards, not beyond brief acquaintances during his journeys through the Underdark.

It had all become so complicated. Why not let tieflings be tieflings and let liches be liches? He would not have to return home and report failure anyway. He could ask someone else to help him. After all, if he could get someone to help him find her, why wouldn't he be able to get someone to help him in his mission? If he needed help at all. There was no reason, and he knew it. No reason to specifically need Vicala for this mission. No reason to care whether she stayed where she was or not.

And yet he did.
Lunatic-High
Baron
Baron

Post by Lunatic-High »

After sleeping for almost two full days, Vicala peeked out through the slightly opened door of the barn located in the hamlet. She felt weak and listless as she squinted at the heavy morning mist. Absent-mindedly she brushed some dust from her clothes and sighed, as if she wanted someone to hear her and come to her aid, even though she'd never admit needing it. "A silent scream," she thought to herself.

With sluggish, uncertain steps she entered the sleeping keep and kept her eyes locked at the deserted street in front of her, the tranquillity of the night seemed to remain still. As she took a deep breath of the cold air she felt attentive and focused, and unwillingly she realized it had to be related to the fact that there was no alcohol in her already tainted blood.

As she wandered the streets she became aware of a presence moving about, perhaps following her, and she picked up the pace.

"What's the rush?" asked a dark figure, standing in the shadows of a nearby building.

Vicala held her breath as she stopped and turned around to face the owner of the voice, unconsciously reaching for her sword. Before she even saw him she knew who it was, she'd recognize his aura anywhere. "What do you want Reujah?"

"There's no reason for you to act like this. Seriously, you are not the heroine type, who are you trying to fool?" he asked dryly.

"Stay out of this, I have too much to lose this time. You managed to take my family away from me, at least let me—"

"I didn't take anything... daughter. You lost everything on your own, mainly due to your pathetic weakness. You gave up because you didn't know how to resist your urges, just like I told you."

She stared vacantly at the stately tiefling whose eyes tried to pierce her soul. But his gaze wasn't intimidating, it was curious. Vicala looked around and took a few steps back, there was no reasoning with him, she knew he wouldn't listen.

"I know what you're going through," he raised his hand in a friendly gesture, encouraging her to stay. "I mean you no harm, but you must know your limits. A lich? How are you supposed to deal with such a being? And the halfling, I think he can manage on his own. And I'm not even going to mention your dead... lover..."

"What are you trying to say?" she asked impatiently as the sun climbed the morning sky.

"I'm just saying you should mind your own business and try to solve your own problems before you take on others'. You are a true warrior, Vicala, but you will never get rid of your heritage, no matter how much you struggle. Learn to live with it instead of refusing it when you feel it imminent. Make use of it, if you can control it there will be no stopping you."

She eyed him suspiciously for a moment before she shrugged. "Maybe, but I have to keep my word, I must find the halfling and—"

"Trust me. We have nothing to do with each other anymore, but trust me. If only for the fact that you used to be my daughter."
Some fellow
Knight
Knight

Post by Some fellow »

"Are we taking care of the half-orc first?" she asked, drawing her sword.

The halfling stopped polishing his tainted blade and looked up. "I've been looking for you," he said. She stood there, proud and quiet, and the silence quickly grew uncomfortable. At last, he continued: "So you're determined to help me out?"

"I am," she replied with a strange, less than interpretable expression. "But I am also going to take care of my own... missions, at any cost."

He sighed, but it was a sigh in response to an anticipated outcome. "I will help you if you help me. Besides," he said and looked away from her while he finished the sentence, "I'm glad you're back."

She smirked briefly. "So let's do this. You didn't answer my question."

"You are hasty and quick to action," the halfling said, "and that's what makes you perfect for this mission. But there's also a time for caution and for preparations. We are not ready to take this into the open yet."

Vicala gave him a rather disappointed smile. "And...?"

"No, we're not dealing with the half-orc. This is to be done the right way, and that doesn't include slaying minions like the ones in Marvale or the Oasis, and certainly not half-witted townspeople. Remember this: the right way. If the man at the top falls, the rest will collapse on its own." He looked at her to get confirmation of her understanding. "So let's focus on your situation for a while. What do you need?"

She eyed him carefully, as if to decide whether he would be useful or not. "For now, I need an ounce of dragon blood. Can you help me with that?" Zhen ensured her that he had slayed a number of dragons, including a fearsome Dracolich, and that he would be perfectly able to slay another one for her, but she scorned this plan: "If I needed a dragon slain, I could do it myself. But I can't extract blood from it, you know perfectly well that there are... supernatural restrictions."

He didn't sound hurt, just focused. "Then we'll find someone who is skilled at extracting creature parts. Such as, ideally, some kind of a wizard or necromancer. Not that I know one. Do you?"

"I do, but I have no idea what he could want in return. Dragon blood from him will certainly not be free."
Lunatic-High
Baron
Baron

Post by Lunatic-High »

The gnome gave her a thoughtful look as she stood in front of him, smiling hesitantly. He let his gaze slide over her body a couple of times before he reached out to touch the lower part of her rib cage. He nodded slowly. "Mm, yes, this will do. Take a seat."

Vicala glanced over her shoulder to ascertain that Zhen was still casually leaning against the wall. He blinked reassuringly to her, and she started to remove the upper part of her outfit, making Zhen twitch and politely turn around with just a hint of a blush. Vicala grinned and sat herself down on the bench. The temple was alarmingly quiet, and the air was thick and heavy, making it a bit difficult to breathe. The gnome looked contemplatively at her naked torso.

"Lie down," he said simply and nodded toward the bench.

She followed his instructions and let the black hair flow across the bench, and much like a shimmering waterfall it fell down toward the floor. She swallowed and felt her palms getting sweaty, but she tried her best to maintain her calm. The gnome didn't pay much attention to her, but had his eyes fixed at her chest that moved hastily in rhythm with her heavy breathing. Suddenly he ran a sharp, white finger over her skin, leaving a tiny scratch.

"This will hurt," he informed.

"Wait wait wait!" she said and turned her head to look at Zhen. "Please remind me, why am I doing this?"

Zhen coughed uneasily, still not looking at her. "Beats me."

The pale master pursed his lips in a grotesque grin, then he raised his hand and squinted at his victim. With a swift motion he lowered the undead hand and forced it into Vicala's chest; her pale skin opened and dark blood squirted out over her body and then found its way to the floor. Her tortured scream echoed between the bare walls, but got an abrupt end as the pain overwhelmed her and she passed out. The gnome frowned as he delved in the lower left side of her chest, and after a moment he grabbed something and nodded to Zhen, who was still keeping his distance. With a forceful tug a cracking sound could be heard and the gnome's bony hand left the open wound, and in it he held a flesh-covered rib. He grinned triumphantly at his loot as he pulled out an elegant bottle from his pocket, without looking away from the piece of bone.

"As agreed," he said and threw the bottle to Zhen, who reflexively caught it.

Zhen gave the bottle a brief glance before he finally turned to look at Vicala, still lying lifeless on the bench. "Uhm, aren't you supposed to close the wound?"

"I'm no cleric," the gnome answered with a shrug. "Until we meet again," he muttered as he walked off.

The halfling quickly placed the bottle of dragon blood in his bag, and hurried through the hallway to find Gleanna.
Ottolette
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Ottolette »

The lich frowned at his bare arm, magical burns and various scars covering it. It was healing too slow, far too slow for a lich. And yet, it was much faster than the usual human would do, and this body certainly served him much better than that rotting carcass he once wore.

Of course, there were disadvantages, the biggest one being the harsh blow the scythe master had struck him before the trap sprung, and the souls swapped. It cost him dearly, the lich found himself with so much less knowledge, that he was even unable to complete another ritual into undeath without extensive research.

But if an undead lord had anything, it was time. He smiled to himself as he dug his hand into the frost giant's still-warm corpse, pulling out its large heart and tearing into it with blood-coloured teeth...

~~

Meanwhile, Galen had found the secret stash of muffins in a little cottage in Limbo, land of grey chaos. The next few hours were spent trying to chase out the little winged muffin bats, and attempting to make tea turn into booze, a rather failed endevour.
Lunatic-High
Baron
Baron

Post by Lunatic-High »

She was furious. While muttering she threw herself down at a chair next to the ale-covered table and gazed up at the ceiling. She took a deep breath to calm down, which caused the poorly healed wound to act up, and she quickly moved her hand to her side. Zhen, who was sitting at the other end of the table, looked up from his ale and shook his head.

"I still think you should've gone with this... what was it, harem thing? It sounds nice," he said with a shrug.

"Stop it, she did the right thing and you know it," reprimanded Raphael quietly and then turned to Vicala. "And you really should let me have a look at that wound."

"That's exactly what it is, a wound. It'll heal. That's what wounds do," she replied spitefully and grimaced as she tried to sit up straight. "I can't believe how stupid I am," she continued as she leaned over the table.

"Yes, the cleric told me a little about it, but I wasn't paying attention. Tell me again, what happened?" asked Zhen and ran a finger over his moustache.

The waitress rushed by their table and smiled widely at the halfling, who politely returned a smile before he went back to look at his companions at the table. Vicala grunted and motioned toward Raphael.

"Yes well, Vicala asked me to come with her, to help, since you obviously had other things to do. Things which you apparently found to be more important," he said condescending and gave Zhen a fierce look.

"Watch out, the cleric is grumpy!" Zhen yelled with a mischievous grin.

Raphael snorted. "Anyway, we met with that lich and... I didn't hear it all, but they came to some sort of agreement. She doesn't seem pleased with it, to say the least."

"I'm actually sitting here, *trusting* a lich!" she cried out. "It's so incredibly dim-witted I don't even know what to say..."

Zhen grinned hastily at her, then nodded to Raphael. "And then what? Where did this harem thing appear?"

The cleric gave Vicala an apologizing glance before he leaned over the table to whisper to Zhen. "The lich offered her a, ahm... harem... with only men like him, like the one she likes."

"The red fellow?"

"That's the one. But she said no. Probably because, deep down inside, she knows it's wrong," said Raphael and beamed with pride.

"Right," Zhen replied and smacked his lips. "Now what?"

Vicala looked up and shrugged. "We'll wait and see. I doubt he'll keep his end of the deal, I mean, why would he? Ugh. But there's nothing else we can do, we might as well dedicate ourselves to your quest for the time being."

Zhen nodded. The three sat in silence and watched the other patrons in the Playful Maiden, listening to the music and the laughing voices. Suddenly Zhen smirked. "I still think that harem thing sounds lovely."
Some fellow
Knight
Knight

Post by Some fellow »

He had no idea why he had agreed to come along, no idea what was to be done and no idea what was expected of him. One minute he had sat beside Vicala Caéran's bed, attending to her wound and her increasing fever, and the next minute he had been involved in some sort of underground scheme. The halfling (which he did not trust) had come storming into the chamber claiming that "now is the time, the only time," and suddenly someone had to take Vicala's place, her own medical (and perhaps mental) state much too vulnerable for this mission, whatever it was.

Of course, he liked helping people, so it should be all right, but he had a very uneasy feeling about it all, and for the first time in his career, he wished that Lia wasn't with him on this journey, aware of what he was doing. He just wished that he was aware of this himself.

That halfling, Zhen Darksteel, was not talkative about his mission. He always seemed to keep important matters to himself; in fact, Vicala was the only person with whom he spoke openly. For some reason, he thought it essential that Raphael not know about the plans in advance. This, of course, only served to make the cleric more nervous and suspicious. But he had promised to help, and he would not break a promise lightly. So now they had traveled beyond Skara Brae into the depths of the Dark Forest, standing on a little bridge in the misty marshlands.

Time passed; Raphael knew not how much. At last, the halfling leaned over to him and whispered: "It is here now. Destroy it." The cleric looked around himself, dumbfounded, until Zhen made a simple hand gesture, pointing to an island further ahead. Hesitantly he walked on, eventually finding a golem. To be frank, he was fed up with golems after the events in the Mystic Ice Cave earlier, and he had nothing against destroying it. If that was all Zhen required of him, then he would have no problem telling Lia about this in his next prayer. So he destroyed it; a simple task. As soon as the golem disappeared, the halfling was there and snatched something from the ground.

"It is time," he said solemnly. "Come with me." They both stepped into a circle that was arranged on the ground. "First, I will need magical enchantment. Do your thing!" The halfling waved his hands as though he was invoking magic. To Raphael, this looked somewhat amusing. But he did as he was told, showering his partner with several useful blessings. No real moral dilemmas so far.

With the words "heal me when I seem to need it," Zhen Darksteel vanished into thin air. Raphael had seen this before, so he was not surprised. For a brief moment, he wondered whether the intention was to leave him alone in this circle, which began to feel like a trap, but it was soon evident that there was more to it. He was teleported, and found himself reappearing in a strange little house. Not knowing where Zhen was, he slowly moved into the next room, and spotted an unknown man holding a magic staff.

"I see that you got past my guardian," he said.

"Yes, yes, I guess I did," said Raphael, preoccupied with his shattered thoughts.

"Well, I suppose I could sell you some items."

"Uhm... no, thank you, Sir," said the cleric, very politely. But the man did not answer. Instead, he gave up a ghastly shriek as his leg was pierced by a long, cold blade of steel. Behind him stood Zhen Darksteel with a concentrated grin on his face. "You will not buy or sell anything again. Your reign over the trade in this land is over. Ours has just begun." And just as sudden, he was gone again.

Agonized by the pain in his leg but still standing up, the mage turned to Raphael. "Are you in on this?" he asked, surprisingly clear. Raphael, very unclear, was still struggling to produce an answer when the halfling reappeared, his scimitar now covered with fresh blood. But this time the merchant was prepared. With the speed of a crossbow bolt, he uttered a single word in a strange language, and before the scimitar had even penetrated the second leg, the halfling froze. Raphael gasped at the sight.

"The decisions about my business," said the man while fighting his pain, "are my own. This includes whether to cease and desist. I am not eligible for subdual." With these words, he simply pointed his finger down on the static halfling and read an ancient incantation. Zhen Darksteel dropped dead on the floor, and although Raphael was over him in one motion, it was too late. He began reading the words with which he could raise people from death, but he was met with a disdainful laugh from the powerful mage. "That will not work in this realm, cleric. Your petty god is not with you here." Raphael, soon enough, found this to be true. Powerless and deserted, his fear of the mage was all that prevented him from actually bursting into tears.

"You are no longer welcome here, cleric." The spiteful emphasis on his vocation was the last thing he heard before he was transported back into the Dark Forest. Everything about this was completely surreal. He did not even find any consolation in the fact that he could safely tell Lia what happened, as he had not technically done anything wrong.

He still had to tell Vicala.
Lunatic-High
Baron
Baron

Post by Lunatic-High »

The intense sunlight made her recoil, even though she'd been outside several times since the fever showed up. Hesitantly she staggered out through the door and found her way to the wall of the house, which she leaned against. A soft breeze swept by and caught a lock of her hair as the chirping of birds could be heard from the nearby treetops, and the emerald green grass sparkled with watery pearls from the night's heavy raining. Vicala had a hard time comprehending a day such as this could bring such dire news.

Raphael had told her about Zhen's death as she woke up that morning. At first, she didn't reflect on the meaning of what he told her, maybe because she was still woozy from all the spells and potions he had given her. But the shock didn't fail to appear; it jolted at her after a while, together with the guilt. If she had been with him, maybe it wouldn't have happened. She didn't even know his plans – his moronic plans – included actually killing Akon, if she had known... she would've been able to stop him.

The door slammed shut next to her, and Raphael gave her a weary look as he buckled his cloak around his neck. He looked so young and questioning, but at the same time refined and wise. Vicala had a hard time finding out who and what he really was, but she knew she started to care for him. She smirked to herself as she crossed her arms across her chest.

"So what do we do now?" she asked and turned to face the sun, closing her eyes.

"I'm sure you have things to do," he answered and delivered a polite nod to a stranger walking by.

"Doesn't seem like it. Galen has made up his mind, and I don't want to be a part of his plans," she said with a dejected shrug.

"What do you mean?"

She fell into silence for a moment and got lost in her thoughts, thoughts about him. Sure, he had never looked at her the same way she looked at him, but she still believed, somewhere, somehow, that there was something between them. If not love, then something else, just as important. She valued his company more than anything else, she placed his happiness ahead of her own, it seemed she'd always done that. Sadly, he probably didn't even realize it, or he simply didn't want to.

"Vicala?" Raphael placed a hand on her shoulder.

"It seems he doesn't want to come back, Raph. He wants the lich to be killed," she said inattentively as she stared at a solitary cloud scattering across the pale blue sky.

"I'm sorry."

"Why? It is his choice to make, not mine. I obviously want to help him," she motioned to her wound, "but I'm not going to kill him. I want to be able to live with myself. I have to believe I can live with myself after his passing... If he wants to die, fine, but it won't be by my hand."

Raphael nodded his head as he moved closer to her. He blinked innocently and leaned forward to rest his forehead upon hers, saying nothing.
Cajin
Count
Count

Post by Cajin »

As Kelth stood in the temple, talking with his beloved lady trudes, words about Red's passing reached his ear due to a conversation nearby....

As he kept all his emotion inside.....in the following eve, Kelth dug up his old bagpipe, burried in a secret grove in a leather bag.....

and it was there....in the midst of trees and animals, where Kelth played an outlaw tune on an outlaw pipe to honour his fallen friend......
- Cajin "The Reborn"
- Kelth and William McEwann
- Ghûrzhazh Rhânanûr
-Duncan "The Hunk" Mackinlay
Some fellow
Knight
Knight

Post by Some fellow »

"Umgah blood," Raphael thought to himself. "What a blatant excuse for wasting everyone's time." He would be happy to slay a thousand Umgah for that project if it was needed, but the lich had laughingly rejected any such offer. After paying a brief visit to Vicala, whose wounds didn't seem to need as much attention anymore, he decided to do something that he had long postponed. It looked as if the only one he could help at the moment was that lazy Warden.

His invisible self was set on the right path, for the most part, through the mining complex. He had become wise, yes, someone Lia could be proud of. As for himself, he still felt very inadequate. His vivid memory of the halfling's irrevocable death shadowed his mind with sadness and his dreams with terror; and while Vicala's physical state was improving, his inability to help with her mental state frustrated him.

He reached a large, open room with lots of goblins in it. The cleric produced his standard invocation, creating a vortex of destruction that tore most of them asunder. Then he went forward and eyed their leader, sitting on its mount. "So this is my competition," he thought. "I just don't see why the Warden didn't send out a few of his guards." Anyway, he had promised to help, so the job had to be finished. He almost had created a second vortex of destruction when he suddenly thought of something, taking a sparking steel blade out of his pack and examining it. It was a splendid blade indeed. He nodded silently and decapitated the leader with one single stroke. While no brute, he did find some pleasure in the use of such a magnificent weapon.

He had salvaged it from Zhen's body in Akon's hovel and brought it with him on his hasty trip home. There had been no need to clean it from Akon's blood: the blood had vanished during the transportation, rendering the blade as clean, shiny and sparking as ever. Now it was soiled again, but after returning to town, cleaning it at least gave him something to do.

"Zhen," he thought, "would have been happy to see it come to use once again." And then, to pay some homage to his fallen companion, he went into a distant forest, turned into a red dragon, breathed fire on the blade and with his claws he inscribed the following words:
This blade was crafted by Neuphar Mnëwiren for the brave halfling Zhen Darksteel, who used it to wound his great enemy, Akon, on the last day of his life.
He polymorphed back, sheathed the blade and prayed to Lia for the soul of the deceased Zhen and for the soul of the still living Vicala. But he was still not certain whether or not Lia was with him. He planned on staying in the forest until he had found out.
Some fellow
Knight
Knight

Post by Some fellow »

He didn't stay in the forest for more than a few days, though. While he liked the nature and the animals, the wilderness always, in the long run, seemed to bore him. His home was any place where people needed him. For a while, he couldn't care less whether Lia was with him, as long as he still could help people. And what place would be better to do that than the temple in Blackstone?

Vicala was already waiting for him. Her wound had healed, but she looked weak. "I'm prepared to start my training," she said.

"For what?"

"Well, uh... I want to regather my lost strength and fighting skills," she replied, showing him a bastard sword.

"Is that your sword?" Raphael asked dubiously.

"Not my old one, no. I can't really handle it yet. This is a lesser, rather crappy one, but it'll have to do. You think you can help me?"

He looked at her with interest rather than pity. She was a stubborn, self-reliant mercenary who wouldn't let a lost rib spoil her career. Of course, she was a more complex character than that, and he had no hopes of ultimately understanding her, but he did admire that trait. During the treatment of her wound, the two had become close, and he feared that once she didn't need him this connection would be broken. Still, he had always known this. There was no way that this woman would spend the rest of her life in convalescence; she would rather risk her life on every day of it. "A great loss it would be," he thought, giving her a second glance, but for better or worse, there was no doubt about his answer.

"I believe I can," he said and smiled to her. "Helping people is what I do."
Lunatic-High
Baron
Baron

Post by Lunatic-High »

She cried. For friends lost, for a love's return, for memories buried and refound. For all the tears locked up since childhood, for all the misery and all rejections, for all possibilities and future phases of her life. She couldn't make herself stop crying, she couldn't breathe, she couldn't see for all the tears clouding her vision.

A tear for the lost ranger, whose return she still thought to be possible. A tear for the halfling, whose life had ended without her being there. A tear for the cleric, who spent hours, days and weeks bringing her from the brink of death back to life. A tear for her father, whom she knew she'd never even meet. A tear for all the men in her life, cursing and blessing her existence. And two tears for him, for returning, not quite as he once was.

She knew she should be ecstatic about life now. Obstacles had been removed, evils had been shunned in more ways than one, and yet, she couldn't find it in her heart to be content. It was not how it was meant to be, it was not how she had imagined it, all those sleepless nights on the docks in Blackstone Keep.

His return brought her happiness beyond belief, and fraught grief at the same time. She took a deep breath, leaning forward to grab the railing on captain Zim's ship, and watched the small pieces of her fragile soul fall into the black water, merging with the endless ocean. She cried.
Some fellow
Knight
Knight

Post by Some fellow »

The heavily loaded ship struggled across the stormy ocean. Most of the crew had taken its refuge to the lower levels, maybe seeking out Captain Corvale to inquire about his precious cargo. Not that he would answer.

Two unorthodox crew members were standing by the gunwale, though, looking out over the vast aquatic landscape. One, a man in red, looked pale as if the sea had got the better of him. His companion, a female, also seemed rather out of shape, although anyone running by would realize that her reason was another altogether: she was holding a bottle of rum in one hand, while only occasionally clutching at the gunwale with the other to avoid falling over.

"Why are we doing this?" the man asked, queasily.

"I'll tell you why," she said, hiccupped and took another large sip from her bottle. "That's better," she said, now speaking to the bottle.

"There aren't any threats. Have you seen any pirates?"

She shrugged. "I don't care. Maybe he's afraid of the Black Orcs. Or there's something more dangerous in these waters. I don't care, I just," she hiccupped again, "I just do what I'm told."

The man shook his head. "Why are we doing this?"

"I see what you're doing," she said, looking very clever. "You try to think me... to have me thinking of things not to be thinking of, huh? No, you won't. Have some?" She offered him the bottle, but he didn't even look at it.

"I feel bad enough as it is."

"But this will neutralize that! Liquor makes anything go away."

"I'm sure it does," he replied, "but why then are you escaping from your problems on a little straw in the middle of the deadly high seas, instead of just, I don't know, escaping into the bottle?"

She looked at him and gave up a very short laugh. "Aaaw, the cleric's afraid of the water." She was silent for a moment. "I'll tell you why."

He shook his head again. "This is insane," he said. "I don't know why I came along."

And once again, she replied: "I'll tell you why."

He knew it was just the alcohol speaking, but he still found it amusing how wise she thought herself to be. "Go ahead," he said with a sigh and a sweeping hand gesture, "tell me why we're doing this."

Out of her pocket she took a little piece of gleaming metal, and a folded paper with a seal on it. "Have a look at this," she said, carelessly throwing the miniature rock in his direction. It missed the mark and went into the water with a splash that could really only be heard by imagination in this weather.

"Was that gold? Are you throwing gold into the ocean now?"

She waved dismissively. "No matter. We'll be getting some of that for our cooperation."

"I had assumed as much," he said, "but if it's just ordinary mercenary work, how much can it earn?"

She unfolded the paper and showed it to him, being much more careful this time. He looked at it for a while, counting the zeros several times. Finally he nodded. "Huh," he said. Some offers could not easily be refused; even for a cleric, that was easy to see. "But, we'll get back to Blackstone every few weeks or so, right? I guess I can live with not asking him any questions, then." He tried to smile at her, but the smile was swallowed by the ferocious elements.